MGScanlon: Game Time Comparions, Rankings, Stats +more!

• 56 results
GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Edited By GERALTITUDE

Metal Gear Scanlon is a Giant Bomb video series that follows Drew B. Scanlon's quest to play the core games of the Metal Gear Solid series (1, 2, 3, 4), a plot hatched by none other than Daniel J Ryckert. Drew has zero experience with Metal Gear Solid. Dan says it's his favorite thing, period. You may be on one of the two extremes as well, or you may be somewhere in the middle - either way, MGScanlon has something for you, including 75 hours of Metal Gear Solid games. Below I've included some raw MGS stats for you to compare to yourself / the world and there's also an episode guide with quick links so you can watch the series easily at your leisure. Thanks everyone!

Solid Scanlon Game Time vs World

Metal Gear GameMGScanlon Show RuntimeMGScanlon Game TimeWorld Average TimeWorld Fastest Time
Metal Gear Solid17:41:2616:53:35*11:14:001:46:33
Metal Gear Solid 216:41:46*17:03:4715:59:001:42:42
Metal Gear Solid 319:45:24*24:09:3816:00:001:42:32
Metal Gear Solid 419:26:1519:15:02*18:46:001:51:29
Metal Gear Solid V: GZ01:53:0701:20:10*01:42:000:04:49
Metal Gear Total75:27:58*78:42:0260:00:007:08:00

Rankings & Stats

MG GameSavesContinuesAlertsEnemies KilledRationsCodenameComments!Game Season
MGS319355157181Elephant3718Aug 20 - Sep 30
MGS 223515812460Elephant4023Nov 04 - Dec 24
MGS 31726912497Crocodile4183Feb 26 - Apr 08
MGS 488436353Eagle4697Jul 13 - Aug 15
MGS V: GZ1210370August 18 2015
MGS TOTAL7117929090330116,991

Episode Guide & Genius Video Tag-lines to Oe You With

EpisodeDescription (Presented by Jason Oestreicher except where marked *DS for Drew Scanlon)Length
+DD+Demo Derby: Pizza Hut Disc 0 (starts 31:08): Yeah, I'd like a large pizza with bandicoot, skeleton, cars, extra snake... No tombs, please. Delivery.0:59
1-01 Dan teaches Drew the subtle nuances of grenade handling, nanomachines, and talking to ladies.1:06
1-02Drew and Dan "orbit" around a president for QUITE SOME TIME before deciding to just blow it all up. *DS1:13
1-03Say, have you guys ever talked to Meryl before? She's really interesting. I could talk to her for hours! *DS1:17
1-04Remember when Dan said that Drew wouldn't have trouble with any other bosses?2:00
1-05Dude. Trust me. Put the controller on the floor. This is gonna be awesome.1:18
1-06Drew and Dan set their sights on a new boss.2:02
1-07They say the true measure of a man is how long they can mash a circle button.1:22
1-08Join Drew and Dan on the battlefield where love's blooming and helicopters are booming!1:16
1-09Love blooms on the battlefield again... for the last time! Probably!1:10
1-10Drew and Dan test their mettle in an ear pulling competition.1:36
1-11Drew goes toe-to-toe with his evil twin for the final showdown(s)!3:16
+1+Dan and Brad show Drew a glimpse of what could have been and what's yet to come.1:05
2-01Another Metal Gear?1:14
2-02Can love really bloom in a locker room? Drew and Dan will find a way.0:59
2-03Drew documents underpants and undercarriages, Dan comes prepared, and Kojima pulls a bait-and-switch.1:17
2-04Drew's Raiden impression needs work, Dan once found love in a bathroom stall, Kojima really likes Kurt Russell.1:12
2-05Now older and wiser, Drew and Dan head back to Strut F in search of Bs and nerds.0:59
2-06Scanlon gets his groove back, Dan's the worst employee, and we finally get a boss fight. Sorta.1:04
2-07Laugh and grow fat with Drew and Dan as they take on the mad bomber, Fatman.1:11
2-08Drew and Dan are on the hunt for a bum ticker, but flying drones and retinal scanners keep getting in their way.1:18
2-09Solid Scanlon, meet "Mr. President." Also, have fun with his vampire airplane. *DS1:03
2-10Everyone and their girlfriend has something to tell us about what's going on with the twelve angry men.1:16
2-11We add to our own dark history by repeatedly ramming people into underwater mines.1:45
2-12The end of Metal Gear Solid 2 is in sight, but before that, we get to know Raiden inside... and out. *DS1:05
2-13Everything old is new again. Will Drew face his past or La Li Lu Le Lose his mind? *DS2:14
3-01Kept you waiting, huh?2:02
3-02Drew and Dan press R1 to see what's blooming on the battlefield.1:36
3-03It's one step back, two steps forward in this electrifying episode.1:45
3-04Drew and Dan apply some science to the sneaking mission.1:20
3-05We're still lost so let's just put on some stinky camo and get crocked.1:25
3-06Drew gets back to basics on the sneaking mission. This episode: what's the best camo to wear while wildly running around throwing grenades?1:03
3-07Is this the beginning of the end of The End?1:32
3-08Things are heating up! Can Drew and Dan keep their cool or will tempers flare? Should Jason be fired for all of the puns?1:43
3-09Drew and Dan pick up some guy in a bathroom, take him back to the locker room, and get him naked.1:06
3-10Remember all those guards Drew shot in the junk? They're back and looking to settle the score.1:18
3-11Drew and Dan shack up behind a waterfall for a quick snack and... Wait. What's that beeping noise?1:09
3-12Drew and Dan have a showdown with Shagohod.1:27
3-13What a thrill.1:13
+3+Bonus Episode: What do you say to one last showdown? At the risk of creating a time paradox, Drew and Dan fire up some more Metal Gear and get a (long) glimpse of things to come.1:05
+4+Loading: I hear this game has a pretty big install. *DS0:18
4-01War may have changed, but Drew and Dan are just as sneaky as ever.1:03
4-02Drew and Dan suppress their nanomachines, buy some guns, and hang out with a coked up monkey.0:56
4-03Dan and Drew make fun of a little girl's cooking, an old friend asks what happened to our face, and a guy poops himself.1:09
4-04Before you sneak, you've gotta learn how to crawl.0:53
4-05With friends like a chain smoking monkey and a lecherous old man, who needs a psychological counselor?1:14
4-06Laugh with Drew and Dan as they find a cool cave and expose themselves to a lady to make her cry.1:25
4-07Drew and Dan have got mooing robots and an MGS on their ass. Time to get the monkey on the machine gun!0:49
4-08Drew and Dan meet Noir Snake, learn a lot about eggs, and watch a shirtless vampire lick things. *DS0:53
4-09Drew and Dan meet their maker, some sneaky scarabs, and a legendary torso.1:35
4-10Hold onto your mamma! Drew and Dan race down city streets and try and shoot down a pissed off bird.1:14
4-11Drew and Dan settle in for an extended cutscene. For their patience, they are rewarded with a monkey.1:27
4-12Drew and Dan reminisce about key cards, murder hallways, and an iconic pee stain.1:10
4-13Fire up the dick lasers! Drew and Dan run an emotional gauntlet featuring lots of old friends.1:26
4-14Drew and Dan blast off into the final act to play with dolls, switch controller ports, and get their creep on.1:33
4-15This is it. The finale. Everything's finally going to make sense after watching this, right? War is butts.2:16
+PW+Drew and Dan head down to Costa Rica to track the elusive quetzal. Or was it butterflies?3:16
V-GZJust in time for The Phantom Pain, Solid Scanlon finally grasps the basics of CQC.1:53
+V+ The Phantom Pain Trailers: It took us a year to get Drew up to speed. Now, let's confuse the hell out of him with speculation.0:45

Bonus Episodes Quick Links

Episode Stats

Longest EpisodeMGS1 - Part 11 - 3:16:16
Shortest EpisodeMGS4 - Part 07 - 0:49:22
Most CommentsMGS2 - Part 13 - 568
Least CommentsMGS4 - Part 07 - 162
First Comment Posted"Dan Ryckert: Your Little Brother, All Growed Up (But Not Really)" - @ak1mbo
First Episode Posted OnAugust 20, 2014
Last Episode Posted OnAugust 18, 2015

Notes

• Edit 1: I added a column for game time vs show time since there is some significant differences, probably explained by the game left running off camera. Shortest time marked*. Other typo edits and clarifications. Thanks!
  • Edit 2: moved stuff around, added more data to tables and added a rankings table
  • Sorry for errors! Point out and will correct.
  • I got all my times from How Long to Beat, including the Fastest Times, because when it comes to speed runs there are too many categories for me to read through and understand and list. Maybe one day. Sorry! I believe HLTB is based on "just playing the game". No glitches, no tools. Just skipping cutscenes and moving fast and memorizing.
  • MGS4 loading video is included in the time, for the most scientific results.
  • That loading video has 746 comments, by far the most in the series. Which is fair.
  • All in all Drew? You're pretty good.
  • Totally off topic, but, if you've never played Metal Gear or Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, I just watched those "movies" on youtube and you should too! 2 hours or so all in all.
  • I definitely noticed all the new editing tool additions and improvements since my last blog! :)

Thanks to Dan & Drew and What We've Learned

Just a huge thank you to @danryckert and @drewbert for sharing MGS with us. It's my favorite series of all time by quite some margin and the last GB celebration of it was that great Giant Spoiler Snakecast from what is now seven damn years ago (everyone go listen to it now, so fascinating! and pssst, check out GOTY 2008 too!). It was a real blast and I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. Looking back over this last year, it's pretty damn amazing this adventure all began with Dan playing a demo disc with MGS1 and Drew being there looking on. From second 1 Dan can't stop talking about Metal Gear and within the first few minutes he runs through the whole series pretty much. If that isn't the perfect introduction I don't know what is! The plot to have Drew play Metal Gear was hatched quickly and lo what fruit it yielded.

If you're looking to get through MGS (minus Peace Walker, sorry) it looks like you can expect a good 60-80 hour run time. So if you wanna run through it all before The Phantom Pain, you've still got 10-11 days to get 'er done. Just play 6-8 hours a day and you'll be through. Not bad! Kind of funny to think all those wild memories I have from all those crazy scenes boil down to such a "small number", but when you replay the game so many times and then stretch/multiply these numbers over the last ~two decades, well, I guess it adds up.

The Future Awaits!

I hope this format can return one day soon. It's not easy I know, but this setup of having one fan (super fan) and one new player tackle a series or game is really great. I think since the Persona and DP days we're all a little sore for more endurance runs, and MGScanlon delivered well beyond expectations. Now... give. me. more!

:D

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

3-13 had the best tagline. I honestly felt a little something knowing what was coming.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Holy cow, how long did it take you to put this together @geraltitude ?

Man that's a lot of premium content!

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Glorious thread, duder!

Part of what makes Drew's yearlong journey resonate with me is that for both of us it started with that Pizza Hut demo disc. That demo totally grabbed me in 1998 and my brother and I just had to get our hands on this super-immersive thing. That snowy Shadow Moses opening is tinged with a certain pizza smell forever!

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is some solid stuff!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Thanks duder. Very comprehensive list you've put together. If someone had the stomach for it I'd like to see some really granular stats like deaths, rations used ect.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hassun

Heads up, you wrote Metal gaer V instead of gear. Also I like your approach to consider GZ a part of MGSV but it might be confusing to some.

Fantastic work though, deserves to be highlighted! @zombiepie

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The first table has a typo, Metal Gaer Solid V.

Awesome data compilation you have here.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This is awesome stuff @geraltitude, thanks for posting. 4-12 has a great tag line with my new favorite term 'iconic pee stain'.

baracudadk2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

amazing job @geraltitude totally expected 1 to be longer. but totally makes sense looking back at it.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

Very well done, @geraltitude! It's been a crazy year, no doubt. Here's hoping in the distant future a potential MGScanlon V: The Phantom Playthrough shows up.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Awesome summary man

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GERALTITUDE

updated! Most importantly, in going over the end game rank cards to add a new table, I discovered there was an important difference between the MG Scanlon show's running time and what the game clock said. Added a new column to include both. The faster time is marked*.

@galacticpunt: Me too, 100%. It wasn't the Pizza Hut Demo, and it was in Japanese, though I played the English version soon after. Can't remember which magazine I got them from. I remember playing that demo so, so many times over. Like you said at the time the atmosphere was incredible. Even watching Dan and Drew return to Shadow Moses brought back some memories.

@slag: about 3 hours for most of the work! So not bad, then maybe another 3 with poking edits and some additions. PS got your note about filling out character pages. Sounds a fun crusade to start..

@demoskinos: It can't replace a good montage video or a more minute by minute analysis, but you inspired me to at least tabulate the end game rank cards. I feel like Drew getting Elephant twice in a row is some kind of anomaly/sign.

@hassun: Yup, I heisted on GZ in the first place and agree with you in the end, fixed.

@mustachioeugene: @csl316: There are so many great tag lines... Jason is a scary master. And Drew is no slouch either. Personally I love 2-13 "Everything old is new again. Will Drew face his past or La Li Lu Le Lose his mind?"

@arbayer2: @amyggen: @mithhunter55: @baracudadk2: @selfconfessedcynic: thanks so much duders!

Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing post OP well done love all the stats so well done.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

This is an impressive list. You should probably also include the animal ranking Drew got at the end of each game. I bet that would be entertaining.

I'll admit, for as popular as the feature seems to have been (and based on some of the offhand comments made by the GB crew: responsible for selling a lot of premium subscriptions) I never quite made it through all of Metal Gear Scanlon 2 and sorta stopped there. Some of these videos are long and I don't quite have the free time that I used to. I'd rather catch the highlights of Drew fumbling in a hilarious manner/looking stunned by the craziness at play.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nice! Is only 10 kills in Ground Zeroes really correct? It felt like Drew was killing US Marines left and right in that game.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah stats.

Great job.

Chippy180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, this is a great list. Poor Drew never got close to any average :'( Thanks for putting it together!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if you can truly kill guards in GZ. Every time I do it they wake up 5 minutes later. I assumed I was doing a lethal choke.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Awesome collection of stats

Avatar image for plonkplonkplonk
plonkplonkplonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By plonkplonkplonk

Truly you are doing god's work with that episode list.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've never seen the Demo Derby where they make the fateful decision. Time to go back to where it all began...

BishopRen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: The choke is a non-lethal take down and only knocks them out, its also the second shortest duration knockout as far as I know, you have to hit the triangle or Y button to stab them while you are holding them for a lethal take down. A skull prompt with a button next to it should appear while you are holding them. They wont get up from that, however new guards spawn after alerts and when you complete objectives like rescuing Paz or Chico.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kasaioni

@shindig: If you want to kill them, you have to press Y/triangle to use the knife.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably just an idiot, but how is game time ever longer than show time? Especially for 3, where did those extra 4.5 hours come from?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@slayer: @captain_insano: @chippy180: @gianthamish: @christoffer: thanks!

@arbitrarywater: if you're on a phone it may cut off that column but you should be able to see "Codename" column in the "Rankings" table! And yeah, I don't blame anyone for not making it through that series 100%. Honestly these days I kind of use "watch this video for an hour without distraction" as a sort of personal challenge. Yes, that is sad.

@dragon_puncher: You know.. I haven't gone back to rewatch it yet but you may be right in a way! My numbers are end game rank card numbers, not handcounted. And since Drew died once in GZ and I'm pretty sure the game does not could all kills just kills in your "run" we probably did get a lower than real number in 10. Goes for all games probably. I think some of those numbers are already counted by users. I'll have to see if I can find them...

@e30bmw: Beats me honestly! I may go back and recount one day but the easiest explanation is just that the game was running for a while off camera. Maybe during 3 they really left it running.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Well done, this was great :)

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw: Beats me honestly! I may go back and recount one day but the easiest explanation is just that the game was running for a while off camera. Maybe during 3 they really left it running.

Oh, I forgot that MGS gives you a playtime at the end. Figured you had added it up yourself, because I'm an idiot haha.

Fer-Vas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow this is really cool and a great way to summarize the series.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Good job on the thread man. This series was great for me. I was ready to play through at least 3 and 4 before 5 this year and instead watched Drew play it all, which was really rewarding and fun. I love the series and am dying to play V. It was cool to see Drew come to appreciate the series and really he doesn't seem to like the gameplay much. It was very entertaining to see it all again and revist my thoughts about the series, which stayed the same actually if not reinforced, which was a little surprising.

I agree with others that said they like the "Endurance Run" format still alive on the site so hope it continues. I think Dan seems to like the format a lot and have no aversion to it so I hope he keeps doing that content on the site.

I actually think Dan watching on a Persona would be hilarious but it would piss off lots of fans.

elite49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah, this is great!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Man, that body count in MGS 4. Holy shit. Also interesting that he has the least amount of alerts in MGS 1 but the most overall continues. That Ninja Fight really took it to him. That has to be his most died to part in the entire series run I'd figure.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This is awesome. The whole series was awesome. I'm officially a Metal Gear Solid fan and look forward to the Phantom Pain (having played Ground Zeroes as my first one ever).

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't around for the Endurance Run stuff and even though I plan to one day go back this has become to me what those Persona episodes were for so many of you. Drew's dogged determinism and Dan's infectious love and enthusiasm for the series have made the show for me over the last year, thank you so much guys.

baracudadk2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just started rewatching mgs1 episodes and i totally forgot that episode 1 had the square 'H' button incident xD

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Drew B. Scanlon" "Yes, I be Scanlon". Still my favourite moment of the series!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Nice job this must have been quite an effort to compile it all!

Surprised that it was posted 2 days ago and I never saw it.

vsharres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome work @geraltitude , and I do agree with you, this format of playing a series with someone that knows a lot with someone who doesn't is really great, but I guess the opportunities for that are kind of rare, specially since the duders review and play most of the games out there.

Avatar image for tiger_buttercup
Tiger_Buttercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Relistening to the MGS4 spoilercast. First voice you hear is Ryan's.

Man I miss him.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Relieved to see I beat his Ground Zeroes time by 40 minutes.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really confused how the game run time is longer than the show run time. Did he play of bunch of the game off screen or something? And if that's the case, how do you know how long?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

This post is fantastic, hope to see it get a spotlight.

jalcottgriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome job, really interesting!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shindig

@hatking said:

I'm really confused how the game run time is longer than the show run time. Did he play of bunch of the game off screen or something? And if that's the case, how do you know how long?

It's been explained, I think. You leave the game running whilst setting a stream up for audio levels and such.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@flameboy84: Well said! Determinism / Enthusiasm would be the absolute best subtitle for a MGScanlon box set. Spot on as hell!

@artisanbreads: Hey thanks very much, and hah! Dan & Persona would be a treat. But for who? That is the question. I'm much the same way with MGS/MGScanlon as you it sounds. Honestly I was a bit worried that maybe watching someone else play it would reveal a lot of faults/problems but in the end I think I came away liking it even more. I'd like to blog about this in the future soon but I feel MGScanlon reveals some interesting things about playing a series "historically" like Drew did. MGScanlon came out of nowhere I feel. Hazard a guess as to the next "endurance run"?

@demoskinos: according to this gentlemen's fine work, it is indeed the Cyborg Ninja, with 10 continues. Unfortunately I don't think this guy continued his project.

@dixavd: Great to hear! Welcome to the club brother. Or should I say... BROOOTHER!

@baracudadk2: @betaband: haha yep! I rewatched Episodes 1-3 while buidling this and holy cow. The whole series is great but man oh man the first one is just chock full of hilarity.

@dudeglove: hah, just noticed the Austin 3:16 connection. Collusion?

@tiger_buttercup: Me too. I listen to old bombcasts periodically, and that one probably 3-4 times being such a big mgs4 fan. As soon as you hear his voice his energy is so familiar and so exciting. Those bombcasts have such a great vibe. Like a pack of wild horses trying to jump the gun but Ryan is this laughing/cackling steady hand on the reins.

@vsharres: Yeah that does seem to be a problem for more current stuff especially. Plus with Dan being a huge fan and Drew being willing it just seems like a lucky strike and MGS has a massive series, so of course a huge % of the user base is interested too. I bet for old, one-off games there are a host of them but that's not really the same thing I suppose. More like a Bombastica with a guest, basically.

@shindig: I was a little embarrassed by Drew's first GZ run. He did so, so much better than me. Just went back to it this week and gonna try to 1-up him.

@hatking: @shindig: @e30bmw: so Shindig definitely has the gist of it! Here's my exact science just so y'all are clear. The "Rank Card" at the end of each game gives us the completion time on a silver platter. The show time has to be added up manually, so if there is an error, it would be there. Added it up three times now but if I got it wrong let me know! When the game is longer than the show, that difference is explained by the system left running off camera (couldn't find it but 80% sure Dan/Drew calls this out at some point). When the show is longer, that difference is explained by Dan and Drew talking with the game off or a death that was never recorded. For example, if Drew saved, then died and turned the game off, that game time is not tracked, but will affect the show time.

@elite49: @fer-vas: @humanity: @bollard: @jalcottgriffin: @cirdain: thanks so much duders!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@geraltitude: I really like Persona but it would be fun for me seeing Dan poke at it. Actually I think Dan would end up really liking a lot of it though in the same way Drew grew to like MGS. I actually do think Drew and MGS wasn't so dissimilar. I think he clashes with a lot of the hardcore MGS fans because he just straight up doesn't like the game play and also didn't try all that much to adapt to it, which is cool with me but it lead to interesting comment sections for people who can't watch someone fight through MGS. I'm thinking about the last podcast when it think, to paraphrase, Drew said 4 was the first one where the parts he wasn't watching were not trying to get through.

I agree with you on what it showed about the Metal Gear Scanlon series and how it made me feel. I think the biggest thing it did for me was not change my opinion of any of the games but nicely frame the whole series to contrast each game and take them in as a whole. In particular I don't really like 2 but did find it interesting. Watching Drew play through it, I feel the exact same but do really like what it did as part of the series. I think it helps as a whole being able to go right into 3 after the short break they took helped. 2 was so shaped for me by disappointment, but historically it just becomes really interesting and I can accept the flaws I see in it because it's just a game in history. I don't have hype or expectations invested in it anymore.

I can't predict a new ER, but as I said more or less in my post I expect Dan to be in it. I would like something out of Dan's wheelhouse this time. Persona is a good example of something I'd like to see and Dan can like a JRPG.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciated 2 more now as it's the chapter when Kojima was more explicitly wanting out and it came through in his art. As for Dan's RPG odyssey ... why not Pokemon?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraltitude: Okay, that makes waaay more sense now. Thanks for clearing it up. Also, I didn't say it before, but good work.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Yeah really I would be surprised if the next ER didn't come from Dan but I do feel we are due for some Brad-centric content aren't we? Dan and Brad isn't a common combo but maybe that could be something great! I love Persona and I like to hope Dan would come around to it. He says he likes anime now, right? It's not even out yet but maybe a Persona 5 run with Dan is something we could see in the future.

For Drew and MGS and how he plays it: definitely agree on "interesting comments". While I never approve of mean or judgey comments, it is interesting, conceptually, what it means to "adapt" to a game versus "playing against it". Drew never even read the manuals as far as I could tell and it always reminded me about Game Preparation. There are some games (like the originally xcom) where you literally could not get through a menu without reading the manual. But in MGS things are grayer. You can play without knowing what you're doing, but the effect on the experience is significant. Food for thought: is there a base level of preparation a player should have before playing games? How realistic/appropriate is it to expect to be able to "pick up and play a game"? I think those answers are different for every game (think about a Flight Sim!). History plays a big role here too in understanding the game. Back in 99, when MGS was mind boggling, I bet it was far more common for players to "test" the AI to understand it. It was also far more common to read game manuals then too.

For me MGS4 was the one I wasn't sure about seeing again. I loved it at the time but it's the darkhorse in the series for me in that I've never replayed it. I appreciate it more now and was surprised "how much" game is in there to be honest, but also surprised how much I enjoyed the story again. MGS as a whole is just so weird but also so polished. It's hard to know in the context of the times if they are just weird in the way video games are generally weird and if they are just polished for the time. Looking at it now the whole series just feels far more unique to me. There's nothing like MGS, there is only MGS.