Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
Get used to it.
Get used to it.
It's a question we've pondered on a couple of recent Bombcasts and also just shooting the bull around the office: How much longer until we start hearing about new consoles from the likes of Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and any heretofore unknown dark-horse entrants into the next round of game hardware production? Going by the traditional five-year cycle--and, more immediately, Microsoft's truncated four-year schedule for the first Xbox--it's high time rumors about new consoles started leaking, at the very least. We're more than three years on from the release of the Xbox 360, after all. (Can you believe it? They grow up so fast.)

But doesn't it feel a little too soon for all that? Sony has made plenty of noise about its desired decade-long life cycle for the PlayStation 3, and now Microsoft's entertainment president Robbie Bach has declared the Xbox 360 is also here to stay for some time, according to a story on the San Jose Mercury News site.

The world's largest software maker will focus on improving the Xbox's games and features rather than rushing to introduce a new model, President Robbie Bach said in an interview. The Xbox 360 started selling in 2005, replacing the original Xbox, which debuted in 2001...

"Just coming up with something that's faster and prettier isn't going to be sufficient," said Bach, 47. "The life cycle for this generation of consoles — and I'm not just talking about Xbox, I'd include Wii and PS3 as well — is probably going to be a little longer than previous generations."

Nintendo, of course, has the least reason of the three to put new hardware on the market, considering it (bafflingly) still can't keep the current console on shelves, and also turns a profit on every unit sold.

Bach makes a good point about the mainstream audience and its indifference to "faster and prettier" graphics; the Wii is all the proof you need of that market reality. But being on the graphics-whoring fringe, I can say I'd like to see at least one more round of super-powerful consoles, specifically one that can push games in 1080p at comfortable frame rates. The systems we have now are a fair bit short of that mark. Seems that I may have to wait quite a while for that, due to the general public's unwillingness to buy expensive new systems, however.

How soon before you're ready to pony up for the next console generation? You know it has to happen eventually.
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
Get used to it.
Get used to it.
It's a question we've pondered on a couple of recent Bombcasts and also just shooting the bull around the office: How much longer until we start hearing about new consoles from the likes of Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and any heretofore unknown dark-horse entrants into the next round of game hardware production? Going by the traditional five-year cycle--and, more immediately, Microsoft's truncated four-year schedule for the first Xbox--it's high time rumors about new consoles started leaking, at the very least. We're more than three years on from the release of the Xbox 360, after all. (Can you believe it? They grow up so fast.)

But doesn't it feel a little too soon for all that? Sony has made plenty of noise about its desired decade-long life cycle for the PlayStation 3, and now Microsoft's entertainment president Robbie Bach has declared the Xbox 360 is also here to stay for some time, according to a story on the San Jose Mercury News site.

The world's largest software maker will focus on improving the Xbox's games and features rather than rushing to introduce a new model, President Robbie Bach said in an interview. The Xbox 360 started selling in 2005, replacing the original Xbox, which debuted in 2001...

"Just coming up with something that's faster and prettier isn't going to be sufficient," said Bach, 47. "The life cycle for this generation of consoles — and I'm not just talking about Xbox, I'd include Wii and PS3 as well — is probably going to be a little longer than previous generations."

Nintendo, of course, has the least reason of the three to put new hardware on the market, considering it (bafflingly) still can't keep the current console on shelves, and also turns a profit on every unit sold.

Bach makes a good point about the mainstream audience and its indifference to "faster and prettier" graphics; the Wii is all the proof you need of that market reality. But being on the graphics-whoring fringe, I can say I'd like to see at least one more round of super-powerful consoles, specifically one that can push games in 1080p at comfortable frame rates. The systems we have now are a fair bit short of that mark. Seems that I may have to wait quite a while for that, due to the general public's unwillingness to buy expensive new systems, however.

How soon before you're ready to pony up for the next console generation? You know it has to happen eventually.
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venatio

I dont really know how to feel about this

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By OmegaPirate

This is good news, given the time to grow im sure the current gen consoles can achieve everything they were said to be capable of, and i wont be flat broke :D

Chytynous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Chytynous

Good! Felt like last generation was over too soon so it'll be nice if this one sticks around for more than 4 to 5 years.

eXists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By eXists

As long as MS releases it before Sony, they should be ok but I would think Sony are betting on the next one so going to be interesting for sure... but yeah with the crappy economy not happening anytime soon and that's fine, too many games to play!

Sarge506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Sarge506

We'll hear new console buzz in early to mid 2010 with info being released mid 2011 for a holiday 2011 release I reckon.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Systech

I'm fine with not paying for a whole other console.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Geno

I'm fairly certain that the technology for the next generation is still a bit far off, so yeah this isn't too surprising. The parts for the next generation consoles would probably exceed $3000 at the price parts are going at now.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail

A bit predictable. Oh well, I would rather have the previous gen be the longest.

Postureduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Postureduck

It seems like it'd be pretty disastrous to release a new console with the economy in this shape, regardless of the tech inside it.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By RHCPfan24

I want to keep my consoles for a while. There is no reason that i should have to buy another expensive round of machines just after completing the set of three.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By Death_Burnout

Well, this is good news.

dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By dtran1212

i dished out almost 600 dollars for a ps3 like a year and a half ago...so...ummm....don't give me that "next gen console is coming soon" bullshit.

heavymtlhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By heavymtlhead

I think 2012 seems about right. I not in any hurry to buy a new system though.

marcio1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By marcio1986

Let's see if this is really going to happen.
It only takes one to try make something better for the others to follow.
Sony only rushed to the next gen because of Microsoft, if that didn't happen we would still be playing great games on the PS2 whitch still had much more to give and games that like GOW 2 and Persona 4 are the living proof that the PS2 could still live for some more years.

Metamorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Metamorphic

I was thinking about 2012. Leave it for then and keep making GOOD games for the current consoles. Push them to the very limit to make our fondness greater and more memorable for these current dominating consoles.

comradecrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By comradecrash

I, for one, am happy for this bit of news! Now I can just spend on games and not just one expensive console.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Scooper

I want a new console that kicks ass graphicaly and I'd go for that next year if they put one out.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Xandurson

I don't want my 360 to be replaced because I'm not the person that buys a system right away mainly cause I have no money and starting college this Fall isn't going to help.

Avatar image for redactedprofile
RedactedProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RedactedProfile

hey, hardware familiarity only means great things for software.
Keep the entire LINEUP for the next 6 years ill be perfectly content about that. Devs are pushing the best out of the 360, which look fantastic, first party devs are pushing the PS3 to its limits and they look mouth watering, its really the fact devs still got to get used to the dang Wii and put out some quality and original titles, hell it cant be THAT expensive to develop for in comparison.

But ya, if games look and play this good NOW, considering the X360 and PS3 has been out for how long? Its still pretty young. Can you imagine what well see 4 years down the road??

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zityz

Good, because I'm happy with what I have now, and there is PLENTY of games comming out and that are already out I still need to get my hands on. Personaly, unless the new consoles down the road that come out can make you breakfast or something in the morning, then I probably won't care.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By TheHBK

I will say 7 years, not ten, so in 2012 we will see something new come out, most likely the new Xbox or PS4.  And my bold prediction is both will come out, within a few days, of each other.  Yes, the consoles will only go to 1080p, since 720p is now standard and should not be too hard to pull off with hardware thats available in the next few years, with Intel coming out with new chips and ati and Nvidia coming out with their new stuff, we should see better graphics (resolutions and i hope really high res textures).  I wonder though, if they will just go to 1080p or higher, but only those who use computer monitors can see that, and doubt thats what console manufacturers want to do.  I think the biggest feature these guys have to put in is a really huge hard drive and hopefully prices will be down by then, so a 500 Gb hard drive will not cost as much as today.  This would be great for just getting the newest games by downloading or pre installing like what steam does today.
Changes from generation to generation.
Atari - color graphics
NES, Master System - recognizeable shit and music (not just blocks)
SNES, Genesis - Sound was better and scrolling backgrounds, little 3D in there
Playstation, Saturn, N64 - full 3d and textures, FMV, CD sound
PS2, Xbox, NGC - Higher poly counts, textures, bump/normal mapping, lighting
PS3, 360 - More polys, textures, mapping stuff, better lighting, shadows 720p
Next gen - 1080p, 7.1 channel sound and thats it?  I say the hard drive is gonna be the biggest deal here.  Also a better d-pad for the 360 controller.

Avatar image for platypusplatoon
PlatypusPlatoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PlatypusPlatoon

I just got my 360 this year.  I hope I don't have to replace it that quick!

jonnyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jonnyp

Personally, I go where the games are.  If whatever next-gen console launches with some killer apps, I'll buy it day one.  

kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kenzo287

Nintendo is the company that needs to release new hardware the most, from a gamer perspective.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#26  Edited By Dimsey

I'd be perfectly happy with this generation of consoles for quite a few more years.

killawogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By killawogg

i will buy the newest console when it comes out cause i love shiny new videogame stuff

Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Karmann

I still play my PS2 more than anything else...

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ZmillA

alan wake still hasn't come out so there is no need for new systems. hell, we haven't even got a sequel to rez yet!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrKlorox

Now I can feel comfortable getting a 120gb hdd. They didn't happen to mention when they're going to start offering full retail downloads did they?

Toolvana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Toolvana

I could easily wait until 2012 or even beyond without wanting the next round of consoles to come out. I still have yet to buy a PS3, I am waiting for a price drop, and I have a huge backlog of current and last gen games to get through.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By keyhunter

I'm ready now.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Psynapse

I'd buy a new console if one came out, probably release...
Only requirement that i'd have though if it was compatible with 360 games...

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Ugh. Mainstream audience? What yo umean is casual non gamers no? I really don't like how much people are focusing on that. I mean, Nintendo, what ever, you made it clear you were going to start being almost entirely for the mainstream crowd with the gamecube and the Wii, but the 360 and PS3, and future conosles need to focus on what real gamers want. We want power behind our consoles for more then pretty graphics. You can't do DMM on the Wii. You can't have uber physics on the Wii. Even the Wiimote can't be fully recognized because, well there isn't enough power to spare for the fancy motion sensing.

As for when, I'd say I'd like the next generation to colme at around the time BluRay becomes standard for the most part. That way we can have big games and stuff. Like, 400 gig 16 layer games xD And it won't jack the price up by 200 bucks or anything silly like that. I think it sobvious that the generations are gunna get longer and longer, as it gets harder to top games these days. I mean, with games like Crysis maybe one or two generations off from consoles, there is only so much more you can get until you get into crazy 100,000 strong armies all rendered in beautiful cinematic quality real time. Personally I would like to see more new techs, and a better use of AA. I want my games to be high ress and smooth, not high res but still blocky. And nice lighting+physics, thats about all I really want from the next gen.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hatking

Lets see...give me this and next year on this generation...wait til at least they can't make games any better on this hardware.  I keep getting impressed as they push it further.  So I think I'd be happy with new systems coming out in Winter of 2011...I think with the way they've been talking that it is safe to assume they won't come before that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

end of 2010 seems good.

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ferrarimanf355

I'm cool with it. I want to replace my current X360 with an Elite model to color-coordinate with my PS3, and besides, it's a launch model without HDMI and I could use the extra 100 GB of hard disk space...

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AspiringAndy

In my opinion this is a good thing for developers and a good thing for us. It's a plus for the developers because now they can develop a game on systems that they know well, they also know the limit in which the consoles perform well with. It's a good thing for us because we wont have to put up with shitty release titles (e.g Lair). So basically what Metamorphic  said.

I predict new Nintendo Console 2015, they can't hold off forever :D

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#39  Edited By borgmaster

it'll probably happen after the economy recovers and sales start dropping a lot.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#40  Edited By Hector

I'm glad to hear this, I really like my 360 and one to keep gaming on it.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41  Edited By spiceninja

Great news. I really don't want any more new consoles for a while. I'm happy with with I have right now. Maybe another 3 years and then we can start talking about new consoles.

precog13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By precog13

2 more years. Minimum. Then I will consider another round of consoles.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Media_Master

this is good, usually the best games come out near the end of a console's life cycle

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#44  Edited By tearhead

I'm quite comfortable in this generation of consoles and neither I or my bank account is ready for a new generation.  I'm just not ready for the craziness of it all; my PS3 isn't quite ready to be shipped off to an old folk's home (my closet).

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Moeez

Give me until 2012, then we can talk. 

And Brad, be quiet because I don't know what 1080p is. I'm fine with 720p, thank you very much! XD
GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GTCknight

I think it will be quite a while before any kind of new console is released, especially with the economy the way it is right now. Maybe in 2012 or 2013 but right now I just can't see any new consoles in the near future.

thefiretemple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By thefiretemple

I shelled out for PS3 last month, and I've had a Wii almost since launch, and it has only been 2 years.  Good thing I can enjoy these systems before having to go broke again.

Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Shinryu

Id say Fall 2011 we will see the next console out. Either a Sony/Microsoft product.

steelharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By steelharrison

I can wait actually I am kind of happy about this. I am fine about the current generation it can stay around as long as it wants
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#50  Edited By AndrewB

I definitely saw this round as a more long-term one. The only company that really *needs* new hardware, in my mind, is Nintendo. An HD Wii with good game support could kick the crap out of all the other consoles out today. While Nintendo is certainly dominating in sales and has no need of such hardware revisions, you can't deny that the "hardcore" gamer is more than dissapointed with Nintendo's flagship console software support.

Beyond that, however, both the PS3 and 360 are capable machines. Certainly we could see an upgrade to run HD, 1080p more capably, but it is hardly a necessecity. Given the economy, we'll be lucky to have many the great game makers still around, and we'll be lucky to be able to afford another $500+ console so soon.