Microsoft Press Conference '10 thoughts.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Edited By halberdierv2

Im not a microsoft fan. i personally think that the 360 is not as good value for money as the PS3, although it does have the bigger gaming market.  
ive watched the conference both this year and last year, and this will be successful on a buisness perspective, with the casual market, as it now is the casual version of the SNES/Genesis wars now coming. HOWEVER, that doesnt mean the games are any good. this has been, the most uninteresting MS conference to date, with the big games showing up in the forst 20 minutes and disappearing afterwards.
 expanding XBLA to throughout the world is a good move, although sony has 1 year on them over it.

MGS Rising seems very interesting, albeit gory.

Gears 3 is same as usual with co-op, and same shooting slashing fun.

Halo Reach is... well, halo. good gameplay, not much story, but still basically a Halo 4.

Codename Kingdoms... well, no one can really say, but it looks like it wants to go the route either of God of War or Age of Empires.

Fable 3.. didnt watch much of it, but seems the usual fable fodder, you guys will have to fill me in on the deets.

although... Star Wars is.. not well implemented. standing in one place swing and force blasting sucks. i need to MOVE!

Foroza Motosport Kinect is disappioning to the piont where it almost made me sob. driving past cars that re purposely slow is NOT RACING! although the car view thing seems cool.

aannnd... the unveiling of the new 360 was nice. and i really wish I was there. I WOULDVE GOT A FREE XBOX!
after a horrible conference, a nice compensation move. touche, microsoft.

TALK!

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By halberdierv2

Im not a microsoft fan. i personally think that the 360 is not as good value for money as the PS3, although it does have the bigger gaming market.  
ive watched the conference both this year and last year, and this will be successful on a buisness perspective, with the casual market, as it now is the casual version of the SNES/Genesis wars now coming. HOWEVER, that doesnt mean the games are any good. this has been, the most uninteresting MS conference to date, with the big games showing up in the forst 20 minutes and disappearing afterwards.
 expanding XBLA to throughout the world is a good move, although sony has 1 year on them over it.

MGS Rising seems very interesting, albeit gory.

Gears 3 is same as usual with co-op, and same shooting slashing fun.

Halo Reach is... well, halo. good gameplay, not much story, but still basically a Halo 4.

Codename Kingdoms... well, no one can really say, but it looks like it wants to go the route either of God of War or Age of Empires.

Fable 3.. didnt watch much of it, but seems the usual fable fodder, you guys will have to fill me in on the deets.

although... Star Wars is.. not well implemented. standing in one place swing and force blasting sucks. i need to MOVE!

Foroza Motosport Kinect is disappioning to the piont where it almost made me sob. driving past cars that re purposely slow is NOT RACING! although the car view thing seems cool.

aannnd... the unveiling of the new 360 was nice. and i really wish I was there. I WOULDVE GOT A FREE XBOX!
after a horrible conference, a nice compensation move. touche, microsoft.

TALK!

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kibblez

I thought it was really good. Not so much in the way of surprised, but pretty much everything they shown looked very impressive. Considering the vast amount of good-looking 'core' games they shown, anyone who moans about the casual nature of the Kinect games need to STFU........imo

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Tiwi

FUCK MS; FUCK THEM!!!

THEY TOOK EVERYTHING I HELD DEAR AND RIPPED IT INTO PIECES!

JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By JB16

Motion control got me a little interested, I might buy some of them even if they are blatant copies of wii games.

But the new 360 is fucking epic, 250 gigs, built in wi-fi, only $300, and it comes out by the END OF THIS WEEK!?!?!!? HOLY SHIT!!!!

The fable 3 trailer was pretty epic too.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TwoOneFive

what an underwhelming and surprisingly BORING conference. after last years i was expecting so much more!! 
whateverrrrr 

and they didnt show any cool games besides all of the kinect stuff, of which only Dance Central looked really good to me. 

metal gear rising hopefully gets more time in a different conference maybe sony's. looked odd, it had mgs controls with wierd cut anything mechanic....okay... 

should have cool boss fights thats for sure. i dont know what to think of that game yet.  

the only games (the hardcore type) that they played were Gear 3, halo 4, and call of duty..... R U SERIOUS!? lol what a let down.  

I sure hope sony has a lot of awesome games to show off with move if they plan on doing the same thing as ms and talk about motion controls almost the entire show. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By meteora

When Kinect was on stage in the conference, things went down hill. Everything before it was great. 

But then they pulled off a big bang with the new Xbox 360 slim. So I guess that's kinda redemption. 

Next time MS; please don't bombard us with shit. I'd love to have a good all-around conference.

jjbiggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jjbiggs

I think I just watched a train wreck. I was stoked for Natal/Kinect...now...not so much.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Halo: Reach looked very pretty and exactly like the other Halo games which isn't a bad thing in my opinion, Gears was Gears and Black Ops couldn't look more like MW2 if it tried.

Kinect was pretty impressive technology but I have no interest in any of the games for it except the dancing one which did look like a lot of fun. The Star Wars game look terrible, not just the graphics but a railshooter where your lightsaber does nothing to the person you're attacking. I demand stormtrooper decapitation!

I will be buying a 360 slim

smithz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By smithz2

I thought it was pretty terrible. The Kinect stuff seemed pretty unimpressive, especially the on-rails Star Wars game. Overall, I hope Sony's presser is much better.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ

I like the look of the 360 slim. It harkens back to the original XBOX while actually looking like something you'd want to put in your multimedia setup.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By sjschmidt93

2/5

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shiftymagician

Man, this is way too early for me hehehe.  Overall I liked the press conference and am willing to see what they have to offer for Kinect later on in the road.  To be honest, Your Shape seems to be the most interesting fitness game I've ever seen, and it seems to fit the new peripheral quite well.  Also even with the blatant cheesiness of the demonstraters, the Kinect lineup so far is pretty good.  Hoping to see more use of this in future car games, as well as hoping that the new MGS Raiden game will turn out as a good proof of concept at least.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vidiot

Hated the press conference. 
I didn't think anything could topple Giant Enemy Crabs or Putting Smiles on Faces, but oh-boy was I wrong. First portion showed off games people cared about, and then it was all Kinetic followed with the most ham-fisted presentation and dialog I have ever witnessed. I broke out laughing during the video-chat. Laughing. I can't imagine anyone in that studio made it through that with a straight face. The only "game" on display for Kinetic was Star Wars, and that was a ten second on-rails affair. Even SportsCenter couldn't salvage this show.

No, this was horrible. The power of Heavy Rain's opening doors now being replicated with motion movements. People dancing....poorly....Yoga. Having to hit a controller to start up a game, after touting hands-free controls for the last hour.
Oh, and Skittles.

I just watched over an hour of people talking to their Xbox like it was a dog. If Microsoft wanted to announce today that they're willing to compete with Nintendo's casual audience: Consider it successful. I wish they didn't have to lower the presentation bar in the process. 

There's also a new Xbox. Yay?

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Kahoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Kahoona

Anybody else get a very underwhelming feeling for COD: Black Ops?  I was not impressed at all by it.  MGS: Rising was sick looking, hopefully we'll see more at the Sony and Konami press conferences.  And it looks like I'm buying a new Xbox later this week.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AgentJ

As for not being able to move in the star wars game, well that's a result of not having anything in the hands of the player. Even giving the person a wii nunchuk would greatly enhance the experience of Kinect (can I go back to calling it Natal) because you can't physically run towards your TV very far. I see lots of rails shooters coming to this device.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Whisperkill

Yeah I could actually see myself playing some of those Kinect games for shits and giggles. At least more than the wii.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@AgentJ said:
" I like the look of the 360 slim. It harkens back to the original XBOX while actually looking like something you'd want to put in your multimedia setup. "
It looks fugly.  I'm waiting for a console that look like a miniature rackmounted server.   The new xbox looks uglier (the asymmetry is jarring) than the fat ps3, which is an achievement.
Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Castro

Yeah, that was pretty boring. The video chat demo was particularly painful to watch. It was pretty funny when the dude called Kudo "Lorenzo Lamas."

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By m1k3

Anyone else notice that during both racing demo's there didn't seem to be any control for the throttle or brake, especially for Forza. In both demo's they stood straight up with their feet flat.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RobotHamster

It was terrible.  They focused way too much on kinect which has no games for it what so ever and I doubt we'll ever seem some.  Gears 3 is the only thing I liked from the press conference, MS is officially done.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ravensword

It was pretty balls, espeacilly compared to last years. I was most excited about the new 360, but have many question about it. Mainly if it can be put on its side considering how its shaped.
ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ozzdog12

It was pretty...meh

SeigoSaiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeigoSaiga

I'm going to sell my 60gb premium for a slim.  

i)  I already wanted a wireless N adapter 
ii) I am running out of HDD space 
iii) I think the current Xbox is too noisy
iv) more warranty is always a good thing 

Like the PS3 slim, I can comfortably justify it.

mcmets93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By mcmets93

I loved the ESPN on the xbox idea. and im really stocked for Gears of war 3 and Halo Reach. Metal Gear looked good but i would like to see more before i make a decision on that.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zajtalan

halo looks awesome

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By damnboyadvance

Still waiting to watch the video. That seems more exciting to me than reading a blog, and should give me a better idea of things.

Not sure if I'll watch the Microsoft Press Conference.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AgentJ
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" @AgentJ said:
" I like the look of the 360 slim. It harkens back to the original XBOX while actually looking like something you'd want to put in your multimedia setup. "
It looks fugly.  I'm waiting for a console that look like a miniature rackmounted server.   The new xbox looks uglier (the asymmetry is jarring) than the fat ps3, which is an achievement. "
are you saying you like the PS3 slim better than the original? That's crazy talk...
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Dany

The first half was great and fun but hte second half was a bore and full of cheese

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By gingertastic_10

I didn't like it. The only cool thing about it was that Dance Central and the end where they unveiled the new 360. But I felt like they tried too hard to get that "HOLY SHIT" reaction at the end.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@AgentJ said:
" @teh_pwnzorer said:
" @AgentJ said:
It looks fugly.  I'm waiting for a console that look like a miniature rackmounted server.   The new xbox looks uglier (the asymmetry is jarring) than the fat ps3, which is an achievement. "
are you saying you like the PS3 slim better than the original? That's crazy talk... "  
The new xbox is the ugliest console in the history of consoles.
RedHatDrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By RedHatDrew
@m1k3 said:
" Anyone else notice that during both racing demo's there didn't seem to be any control for the throttle or brake, especially for Forza. In both demo's they stood straight up with their feet flat. "
Maybe they used relative head position? :P
Jhriad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jhriad
@Kibblez said:
" I thought it was really good. Not so much in the way of surprised, but pretty much everything they shown looked very impressive. Considering the vast amount of good-looking 'core' games they shown, anyone who moans about the casual nature of the Kinect games need to STFU........imo "
I'm sorry what?  I must have missed this "vast" array of 'Core' games they showed.  MGS: Rising, GoW3, Halo:Reach, Fable 3, and some lackluster "Dodge the stream of cars mode" for Forza.  Oh and CoD: Black Ops.  All of them known about previously with the possible exception of the few additions to Forza.  Those are the only things I really remember seeing anything significant from.

I'm not trying to say that was an absolutely terrible presser for Microsoft but for the Core audience there wasn't anything terribly interesting or new to be had.   Harmonix's Dance game looked good and Your Shape will probably do well but really the mini game style stuff that filled out the Kinect presentation was pretty damn uninteresting to the "Core."  Really the best part of the whole thing was the dashboard bits.  Nothing particularly new there either but it was good to see it all working rather well.
Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By Kibblez

'Vast' was a poor choice of words.....but still, is that not good enough for some people? Pretty much all of those games had me interested during their demos/trailers