Mid-year check up: GOTY so far?

• 70 results
Posted by liquiddragon (3471 posts) 24 days, 2 hours ago

Poll: Mid-year check up: GOTY so far? (390 votes)

A Plague Tale: Innocence 0%
Ace Combat 7 1%
Ape Out 0%
Apex Legends 6%
Baba is You 2%
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night 4%
Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda 1%
Collection of Mana 0%
Crackdown 3 0%
Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled 1%
Dauntless 1%
Days Gone 2%
Dead or Alive 6 0%
Devil May Cry 5 3%
Dirt Rally 2.0 0%
The Division 2 3%
Dota Underlords 1%
F1 2019 0%
Far Cry New Dawn 0%
God Eater 3 0%
Judgment 1%
Katana ZERO 0%
Kingdom Hearts 3 2%
Metro Exodus 1%
MORDHAU 0%
Mortal Kombat 11 2%
My Friend Pedro 0%
Observation 0%
Outer Wilds 8%
RAGE 2 0%
Resident Evil 2 18%
Samurai Shodown 0%
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice 13%
Slay the Spire 4%
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech 0%
Sunless Skies 0%
Super Mario Maker 2 6%
Team Sonic Racing 0%
Teamfight Tactics 0%
Tetris 99 1%
Total War: Three Kingdoms 2%
Trials Rising 0%
Wargroove 0%
World War Z 0%
Yoshi's Crafted World 0%
Others 4%
Poll 13%

I get the sense that most ppl think this is a slow year and I thought so myself but looking at all that's come out this year, on paper, it's actually pretty solid. Maybe not everything came out as well as ppl hoped but it's far from a bad year.

The only games I've played from this year are Devil May Cry 5 and Resident Evil 2 and out of those, REmake2 takes the cake. DMC5 is a solid entry in the series and probably ranks just outside of top 5 in the character action games list (DMC1,DMC3,NGB,Bayo1,Bayo2.) That said, it feels like more care went into REmake2 at the Capcom house.

What's your GOTY so far half-way through the year?

#51 Posted by liquiddragon (3471 posts) -

GOTY s'far

1. Resident Evil 2 (18%)
  2. Sekiro (14%)
  3. Outer Wilds (9%)
  4. Super Mario Maker 2 (6%)
  5. Aplex Legends, Devil May Cry 5 (5%)
  6. Bloodstained (4%)
  7. The Division 2, Slay the Spire, Total War: Three Kingdoms (3%)
#52 Posted by ATastySlurpee (677 posts) -

I'll go with the one I've played the most so far, Mortal Kombat 11. I haven't finished Rage 2 yet and I still want to play a few on this list, but I've been chipping away at some older game in my backlog.

#53 Posted by ATastySlurpee (677 posts) -

Cant remember the name of for my life, but is that other samurai game (PS3 exclusive?) still coming out this year or did it get pushed to 2020?

I think you meant PS4, but are you talking about Ghost of Tsushima?

#54 Posted by lib3r4t3 (2 posts) -

My goty list so far:

1. Steam World Quest: Hand of Gilgamech

Cute, endearing, uniquely challenging and the best of Image and Form's formula executed today. I want more of these 6 lovely robots.

2. Katana Zero

A great game with a plot that makes sense by the end, fantastic gameplay and a cool slow down mechanic that by the end you only need for the precise moments. That moment where you clear a whole room without slowdown for the first time is bliss.

3. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

I haven't had the drive to do extras for awhile, but this game made me want to grind for resources and cook every recipe and track things down even when I didn't have anything. The exact game I never knew I wanted. I think I like it more than the original games it payed homage to, even if I find those games less flawed.

4. Resident Evil 2 Remake

Wowowowow Recency bias might be why this strikes lower. I had a blast with this game and I think it's an easy recommend to anyone. I played through Leon A and Claire B with a buddy and I'm tempted to pick it up for myself and play more, or finally play the original. Great feel and look and great corny story. #heels on gratedcatwalks

5. Golf Peaks

Surprise of the year? Best puzzler so far? Better than Baba is You? The magic of this game comes from it's simplicity. I was able to get my mom and my roommate, both less experienced gamers, play through chunks of this game and not pass back the controller after I forced them onto my couch and put their controller in their hand. Baba is You is great and too challenging and pushed me away while the simple aesthetics and concept of Golf Peaks was manageable and could teach non-gamers their system without any words and keep them engaged while remaining at a steady pace. I really think this little game needs more champions.

#55 Posted by glots (4367 posts) -

@cornfed40 said:

Cant remember the name of for my life, but is that other samurai game (PS3 exclusive?) still coming out this year or did it get pushed to 2020?

I think you meant PS4, but are you talking about Ghost of Tsushima?

I don't think they ever stated that Tsushima would be coming out this year and with 6 months to go, I imagine that at best we'll get a release date announcement for next year during their next State of Play. The last official thing Sony said about it is that it's still coming to PS4 and hasn't become a PS5 title.

Going a little off-topic, but the remainder of the year's not too hot, when it comes to PS4 exclusives on the AAA level. There's Death Stranding and...well, that's it.

#56 Posted by SirDeimos (12 posts) -

So glad I took the time to play Outer Wilds. It's the only new game I've played this year and it easily comes in as one of my Top 5 of all time. Going in knowing as little as possible is definitely the way that game is meant to be played. I've talked to a few people that say the only reason they haven't touched it yet is because Epic Games Store, and that held me back as well but it is certainly worth that hurdle.

#57 Posted by hermes (2620 posts) -

Still fairly new in my mind to say, but I think its telling that when I am not playing Bloodstained, I am thinking about playing Bloodstained. I haven't felt that way in years...

#58 Posted by Darkaileron (201 posts) -

It's too early in the year for me to cast a vote.... MM2 just came out, that would feel impulsive, and although I'm playing Bloodstained a lot I don't think it'll make the cut.

...Goty might be Tetris 99

#59 Posted by AlisterCat (8090 posts) -

I inherently don't like ranking, because my feelings aren't precise nor do I think they should be. I chose Sekiro but Resident Evil 2 and a few others are all up there for me.

#60 Posted by casselld (18 posts) -

Probably Resident Evil 2, but it's hard choice between that and Sekiro. I loved Sekiro at launch, but I don't know if I ever want to play it again, whereas I completed Resident Evil 2 numerous times at release because it was just so fun.

#61 Posted by Pinefresh (149 posts) -

Going way off the board and I'm saying Hypnospace Outlaw, and I don't think there's anything else on the horizon this year that's going to dethrone it for me. Everything in that game clicked with me in a pretty extreme way and overall it was a hell of a unique package.

#62 Posted by niko_of_death (233 posts) -

I love the Nioh 2 Alpha, though given there isn't a release date yet I doubt it's coming out this year. Waiting on a PC version of Judge Eyes so can't judge that yet. Grand Deceiver is too short and not in english. I'd give Bright Memory "Best Early Access" maybe, not enough to it yet for it to be a GOTY but I really like what's there so far. I guess Pathologic 2, though I haven't played enough to properly judge (I don't think I've finished any games released this year for that matter.)

I feel like there's an obvious choice for me that's just slipping my mind.

#63 Posted by Efesell (4541 posts) -

That'd be Shadowbringers.

#64 Posted by seshdeadboy (10 posts) -

Hypnospace Outlaw fosho

#65 Edited by Pilgrimm1981 (160 posts) -

Well I for one totally enjoyed Metro Exodus. Of course that type of game is right up my alley. Also really liked Bloodstained, and to a slightly lesser extent Resident Evil II and Sunless Skies. Sekiro was too furstrating for me, and I finished every Soulsborne multiple times. I was a defensive player in those games and that just don't work in Sekiro. Games I still have to play and really looking forward to are Outer Wilds, Observation and being a fan of VR, Freediver and some other experiences that have and will come out this year.

#66 Posted by someoneproud (607 posts) -

Haven't played RE2R yet so It's an easy Sekiro for me so far. A few games I'm really excited for later in the year though so I'm not sure whether it'll stay there.

#67 Posted by vinone (329 posts) -

Honestly this year has had almost nothing for me. I've had some fun with Tetris 99.

#68 Edited by BrunoTheThird (839 posts) -

Heaven's Vault, so far. The writing is as rich and detailed as its art and etymology-based gameplay; the characters are interesting, unique and have their own distinct ways of looking at the world and you; each world you visit in your boat has its own flavour and role in the empire you're so determined to demystify. It never stops poking at that little section of your brain that needs to absorb info or open that door at the end of a hall to see what lies beyond. It paces that stuff so well, too, dropping a breadcrumb trail or morsel of historical import whenever it dares to drag for a moment. It really feels like the developers played it over and over and said, "it's too quiet here, and if they're traveled from a far off moon, it'll be silent for minutes. Write some spontaneous dialogue," all of which is great. I love your robot assistant, especially, he has some witty zingers.

Finding artifacts and decoding their inscriptions is so deeply satisfying to me, it's borderline addictive. I think I've been playing it for twelve hours straight, which hasn't happened to me in a long time. I feel so engaged with what's happening at every junction, every interaction, every obstacle, every stone turned. It's really something. The music is also magnificent.

I'm in love, what can I say.

#69 Edited by SilverSaint (91 posts) -

Of games released I feel like a ton of people haven't played Metro Exodus because of the Epic stuff, but you should, the game is amazing. Meanwhile I find it basically impossible to consider the RE2 Remake for GOTY. RE2 is great, but the story, art, and design concepts were already done. For a new IP I feel Sekiro is pretty revolutionary, albeit I have some general problems regarding replay value and forced play style as compared to other From titles. Days Gone was criminally underrated thanks to the slow start and wont be my GOTY, but will almost assuredly be on my top 10 at this point. If you are a fan of monster hunter or found it a bit slow like me, God Eater 3 was incredible. 3 Kingdoms was quite fun, but vastly overrated compared to the king of Total War, Warhammer.

There are a TON of contenders coming out though. We have Fire Emblem this month, I am intrigued by Remnant, Control, and Astral Chains in august. Meanwhile Sept is crammed with Phoenix Point, Borderlands, Daemon X Machina, the Surge 2, and Code Vein. Finally some huge hitters like Outer Worlds, Death Stranding, and Doom round out the year.

I think it will be hard pressed to beat Metro Exodus for me, but a few games (looking at you Outer Worlds) I am hoping will.

#70 Posted by Superharman (306 posts) -

Outer Wilds slightly pushes past Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

It's not from the first half of the year, but Dragon Quest Builders 2 is giving those two a lot of competition. As always I'll think back on everything at the end of the year but at this point, Outer Wilds all the way.

#71 Edited by Deathstriker (1177 posts) -

Nothing this year has been all that great and the rest of this year doesn't look all that great either. Maybe Mortal Kombat by default so far.