Minecraft cross-play requires a monthly fee. Smooth, guys.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff
deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 18

I posted this on GAF and wanted to see if anyone else has seen this. In order for the Switch version to cross-play, Nintendo gamers may have to do the following:

—Sign up for an Xbox Live account.

—Link their profile to the Xbox Live account.

—Pay a subscription for Minecraft Realms.

I wonder why Sony isn't backing this...

Link: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-titles/minecraft-realms-overview

Am I wrong here?

Fruitcocoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Fruitcocoa

There’s really no need for the salty tone in the title.

@dryvby: As for what Microsoft will require from Switch users I don’t know. But the fact that Realms will continue to cost money isn’t weird at all. They offer you a private server to play on after all. That’s how Realms work on every platform.

If you can run your own server it’s completely free now and I have a really hard time believing they’ll change that. I guess you’ll simply check the “allow cross platform play” when you set up a server and that’s it. They’ve already said that you’ll get the new version of Minecraft which will allow this for free and everything will carry over.

EDIT: Also - the fee for Realms is payed by the server admin, everyone else plays for free. So it's not like EVERYBODY will be paying a monthly fee.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Switch isn't mentioned in your link.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By paulmako

I think what you are saying is that the only way to do cross-play with consoles is via one of Microsoft's pay monthly realms?

OK.

Yesiamaduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Yesiamaduck

Hosting a private server in costing money shocker.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ThePanzini

@dryvby: Sony isn't backing it cause their winning and being dicks, Rocket League requires no extra fee.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WynnDuffy

Paying for Xbox Live

Paying for a Minecraft subscription

Two things I won't be doing

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mellotronrules

didn't you need to pay for realms anyway? this seems like a non-issue.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No wonder Sony won't get involved.

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, in order to use cloud services provided by Microsoft and Mojang (part of Microsoft, but distinct for this purpose), I have to pay money to Microsoft and Mojang???/1

I mean, yeah? duh?

Honestly, I'm much much more curious whether any of the cross-platform stuff applies to the Java version. My guess is "nah bro", which is a shame. Actually, I guess it doesn't really matter, since I play modded mostly, and none of the non-Java versions will ever support that. So, I guess I don't really care.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mellotronrules

@pkmnfrk said:

Honestly, I'm much much more curious whether any of the cross-platform stuff applies to the Java version. My guess is "nah bro", which is a shame. Actually, I guess it doesn't really matter, since I play modded mostly, and none of the non-Java versions will ever support that. So, I guess I don't really care.

unfortunately i think that's a definitive no- when they forked the development it became pretty clear that microsoft are only interested in updating the java version with content- all the neato platform-level quality of life stuff seems limited to their new version of the game. which is a bummer, but not a surprise.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Crossplay is overrated. Unless I can party up with someone from another platform and have dedicated voice chat and game invite ability its pointless imo