Minecraft Questions

dreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm a relative novice to Minecraft, but between the weekly streams and playing though Dungeons on games pass, I've had a hankering to play with my friends, but I have some questions. Are they Giant Bomb crew playing Java or Bedrock? Is there a recommendation to which you would play? How did Jan have that no clip camera in that one stream? Any mods you would recommend? Is there any mini games or unique modes that are fun to play with 3-6 people?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

short version- if you want mods or more access to 'what's under the hood,' go with java.

if you want cross-platform play, go with bedrock.

but aside from that- just go where you think most of your friends will go. functionally they're the same game.

longer answer here.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Are they Giant Bomb crew playing Java or Bedrock?

I believe they're playing Java

Is there a recommendation to which you would play?

To start with? Either. Updated to the latest version, they're mostly the same game. Mostly. The Bedrock version, sometimes called the C++ version, doesn't use Redstone in quite the same way as the Java version. My limited understanding is that Redstone in Java doesn't behave in the originally intended manner, but the community has exploited this unintended behavior and it was always left alone in the Java version.

The Bedrock version can be played cross-platform, with Xbox One and Switch players. If you're interested in playing with friends who are on consoles, then the Bedrock edition is a good way to go. On PC, the Bedrock version has controller support, whereas the Java version does not, so if you're a controller-on-PC guy then Bedrock is a better way to go.

The Bedrock version performs very smoothly. The Java version is no slouch but I don't have many games that run as smoothly and beautifully as the Bedrock version of Minecraft.

...but the Java version has mod support. I believe the Bedrock version was always intended to have mod support but either no one cared to take advantage of it or mod support was never added.

Which one you buy really depends on your use case. Are you going to be playing cross-platform with friends? Do you want the buttery-smooth performance of the Bedrock version? Then go Bedrock. Do you want a much more flexible version of the game that can be played on all three major operating systems (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and which has a mind-bogglingly large modding community that will continue to make stuff in the foreseeable future? Then Java. Also, if you want to run your own server, you are going to need the Java version.

Or, put more succinctly, the Bedrock version is for people who just want to jump in and play, the Java version is for power users who want to tinker with the game and make it do different things every time they play it.

How did Jan have that no clip camera in that one stream?

In the Java version, if it's enabled, you can pull up the console and type in "gamemode 1" and play what is essentially a Creative mode character in a Survival mode world. I suspect this is what Jan did, but I didn't watch that episode so I don't know for sure.

Any mods you would recommend?

I would strongly recommend playing a few dozen hours of vanilla before even thinking about mod support. There's so much to vanilla Minecraft these days. More importantly, part of the challenge of Minecraft is knowing what you want to do in the first place - the game never gives you the slightest hint of a real objective.

Is there any mini games or unique modes that are fun to play with 3-6 people?

There are Minecraft Adventure Maps for the Java version, I don't know if they work on the Bedrock version and I've never actually played one so I couldn't tell you.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

if you want native controller support and cross play with friends on another system go with bedrock , otherwise if your good with k+m and friends are also n on pc java is generally the better option due to mods and better free texture packs and shader options. the redstone functions differently between the versions so if you go with X over Y and want a tutorial on how to wire something make sure its for the right version , most things you'll find are java unless otherwise already stated by the person. its worth noting there is a controller mod for java but its not natively supported so it might not handle the same way ( i haven't tried it yep but plan to since keyboard controls hurt my hands)

simrel12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers