• 102 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for giantsquirrel
#1 Edited by Giantsquirrel (622 posts) -

Well, we had a good run. Now go buy the magazine!

Here's a brief overview of the text.
 
Soap is in the game as a "grizzled vet" NPC.

Single player enemies will have "customized" weapons similar to the multiplayer component of COD4.

The ice mission shown to GI demonstrated the game's open-ended approach to combat, showing how stealth can be implemented if the player chooses.

While the gameplay is open-ended, the story is "on-rails".

Infinity Ward realizes that the "invisible line" where enemies will stop coming in COD4 wasn't great, so they're trying hard to eliminate that. Also, they are lengthening the single player past the 6-10 hour mark of COD4.

"Special Forces Mode" is a major part of MW2, a series of missions in the spirit of the Mile High Club from COD4. It will also have co-op in this mode. Gears-style bleed-out-and-partner-revive will be used.

Co-op apparently won't exist in Story Mode.

Riot shields will be implemented in the game.

Zakhaev's former associate, Makarov, is the "new face of global terrorism."

Snowmobiles are used as a form of escape in the demonstration. Unclear whether or not the player will drive, shoot, or both.

Players will alternate using the two triggers to climb ice-walls.

Movable turrets will be used in SF mode and Single Player, no official word on online use.

IW wants to implement an accomplishment system to online, as they want to make their players famous.

Online mode will use a "Live-Patching" system, where IW can manipulate spawn logic or certain parts of a multiplayer map without doing a full-blown patch.

Another demoed area shows an enormous desert setting where Task Force 141 drops into a wasteland and must navigate a "lengthy trek" to a fully-rendered valley with scattered caves, reminiscent of Iron Man.

IW is focusing on details for the COD4 sequel, citing iced-up tire treads in the Russian level.

The game will run in 60fps (duh).

[LINKS TO SCANS REMOVED]

Avatar image for the_dude
#2 Posted by The_Dude (827 posts) -

Nice, wish I could read the text.

Avatar image for giantsquirrel
#3 Posted by Giantsquirrel (622 posts) -
@The_Dude: 

Sorry about that, I originally uploaded them at 600dpi and they got resized pretty badly. I'm trying again.
Avatar image for steve_c
#4 Posted by Steve_C (1768 posts) -

Yeah, it's a little shame about the resolution, but thanks a lot man. I haven't been able to find these anywhere else on the internet.

In the mean time i can still have a nose at all the images. Seems interesting from what i can see so far. At least with the british side, you're playing alongside soap from COD4.

Avatar image for jeffsekai
#5 Posted by Jeffsekai (7160 posts) -

Thats awsome, thanks!

Avatar image for giantsquirrel
#6 Posted by Giantsquirrel (622 posts) -
Here's a brief overview of the text, until I can get a higher-res gallery out.
 
Soap is in the game as a "grizzled vet" NPC.

Single player enemies will have "customized" weapons similar to the multiplayer component of COD4.

The ice mission shown to GI demonstrated the game's open-ended approach to combat, showing how stealth can be implemented if the player chooses.

While the gameplay is open-ended, the story is "on-rails".

Infinity Ward realizes that the "invisible line" where enemies will stop coming in COD4 wasn't great, so they're trying hard to eliminate that. Also, they are lengthening the single player past the 6-10 hour mark of COD4.

"Special Forces Mode" is a major part of MW2, a series of missions in the spirit of the Mile High Club from COD4. It will also have co-op in this mode. Gears-style bleed-out-and-partner-revive will be used.

Co-op apparently won't exist in Story Mode.

Riot shields will be implemented in the game.

Zakhaev's former associate, Makarov, is the "new face of global terrorism."

Snowmobiles are used as a form of escape in the demonstration. Unclear whether or not the player will drive, shoot, or both.

Players will alternate using the two triggers to climb ice-walls.

Movable turrets will be used in SF mode and Single Player, no official word on online use.

IW wants to implement an accomplishment system to online, as they want to make their players famous.

Online mode will use a "Live-Patching" system, where IW can manipulate spawn logic or certain parts of a multiplayer map without doing a full-blown patch.

Another demoed area shows an enormous desert setting where Task Force 141 drops into a wasteland and must navigate a "lengthy trek" to a fully-rendered valley with scattered caves, reminiscent of Iron Man.

IW is focusing on details for the COD4 sequel, citing iced-up tire treads in the Russian level.

The game will run in 60fps (duh).


Avatar image for giantsquirrel
#7 Posted by Giantsquirrel (622 posts) -

BTW, anyone know how I can get full-res jpgs onto Imageshack or something similar? I'm struggling.

Avatar image for sticky_pennies
#8 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2082 posts) -
Giantsquirrel said:
"BTW, anyone know how I can get full-res jpgs onto Imageshack or something similar? I'm struggling."
Try imgur or Tinypic.
Avatar image for steve_c
#9 Posted by Steve_C (1768 posts) -

Oh nice. Thanks for the write-up. Game sounds hot, as expected really. Good luck with the images.

Avatar image for cheapoz
#10 Posted by Cheapoz (1142 posts) -

Happy to hear about the live patching, which they promised for COD4.'


Hope that extra campaign length doesn't feel artificially stretched out.
Avatar image for al3xand3r
#11 Edited by Al3xand3r (7912 posts) -

I assume open ended gameplay just means there's no more enemy respawning but instead proper AI, so you can approach any mission as you see fit, be it stealthy or all guns blazing. Not open ended as in, choose your own missions, play with factions relations, etc, yeah? The former is what I hoped for (and people were all like LOLZ it's COD dood, it won't have that, keep dreaming) but the latter would be a little silly...

Riot shields are awesome, loved them since I first saw them used in MGS 2 :P

Avatar image for giantsquirrel
#12 Posted by Giantsquirrel (622 posts) -
@Al3xand3r: 

Apparently only the player's decisions as to how to approach a situation is "open-ended", not the level design or story. Think MGS4's stealth-or-combat option, but obviously less stealth.
Avatar image for lamegame621
#13 Posted by lamegame621 (1000 posts) -

Oh, wow. Thanks, you are awesome :D

Avatar image for al3xand3r
#14 Posted by Al3xand3r (7912 posts) -

Sweet then, exactly what I wanted. It should make it much more replayable than COD4. I do hope stealth can be emphasised more than people expect from a COD game though, if you so choose. But hey. whatever, even a little bit of it is much more than in other COD games.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
#15 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2120 posts) -

Too bad about the no co-op Story Mode, but I guess I'll live. Customizable weapons for the Story Mode sounds cool though.

Avatar image for arbitrarywater
#16 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15563 posts) -

The Special Forces Co-Op sounds pretty awesome, and if they can pull off  "open ended" gameplay (which is something Far Cry 2 tried to do but failed miserably at) it will be badass.

Avatar image for al3xand3r
#17 Edited by Al3xand3r (7912 posts) -

You misunderstood what they meant by open ended gameplay, Giant has already explained. They just meant it's not 100% scripted as in COD4. telling you when to rush when to snipe etc, you can now approach situations as you see fit, it has nothing to do with roaming a huge world.

Avatar image for giantsquirrel
#18 Posted by Giantsquirrel (622 posts) -

Bump, first 5 pages resized.

Avatar image for hexogen
#19 Posted by hexogen (802 posts) -

I think I might love you.

Avatar image for dsplayer1010
#20 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2331 posts) -

I need to finish the first one still

Avatar image for twoonefive
#21 Edited by TwoOneFive (9791 posts) -
is this from ptom or what?

the lighting looks like its been improved a lot actually.
Avatar image for pirate_republic
#22 Posted by pirate_republic (1151 posts) -

Nice, thanks for this.

Avatar image for twoonefive
#23 Posted by TwoOneFive (9791 posts) -

nobody gives a shit about the campaign, if this big article will be worth anything, its any details about the MP that is has. i mean, sure the SP will kick ass, and thats really all we need to know right? Everyone and their mom knows the real reason this game sold so well is because of the multiplayer. 

Avatar image for giantsquirrel
#24 Posted by Giantsquirrel (622 posts) -
@TwoOneFive: 
It doesn't say much of anything about the online, and I already mentioned what it did say.

I bought COD4 for the single player, I think the sniper mission really sold it to people.
Avatar image for hexogen
#25 Posted by hexogen (802 posts) -
TwoOneFive said:
"nobody gives a shit about the campaign"
I do.
Avatar image for meteora
#26 Posted by Meteora (5844 posts) -
Hexogen said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"nobody gives a shit about the campaign"
I do."
Seconded.

I mean shit no first person shooter has ever made me been so immersed even if the story wasn't a masterpiece.
Avatar image for gambit
#27 Posted by Gambit (783 posts) -
TwoOneFive said:
"nobody gives a shit about the campaign, if this big article will be worth anything, its any details about the MP that is has. i mean, sure the SP will kick ass, and thats really all we need to know right? Everyone and their mom knows the real reason this game sold so well is because of the multiplayer. "
I for one give a shit about the campaign I enjoy COD4's single player alot. I really didn't play that much online.
Avatar image for cheapoz
#28 Posted by Cheapoz (1142 posts) -
Meteora said:
"Hexogen said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"nobody gives a shit about the campaign"
I do."
Seconded.I mean shit no first person shooter has ever made me been so immersed even if the story wasn't a masterpiece."
Thirded. Played it through several times and loved the crap out of it.
Avatar image for al3xand3r
#29 Posted by Al3xand3r (7912 posts) -

Eh, COD is known for both SP and MP, COD4 was hailed as one of the greatest and most cinematic single player FPS experiences (if short), what are you on about who cares of it >_>

Avatar image for jolly_lolly
#30 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3593 posts) -
Cheapoz said:
"Meteora said:
"Hexogen said:
"TwoOneFive said:
"nobody gives a shit about the campaign"
I do."
Seconded.I mean shit no first person shooter has ever made me been so immersed even if the story wasn't a masterpiece."
Thirded. Played it through several times and loved the crap out of it.
"
Yeah, what the hell are you talking about twoonefive? I played through the story mode a good number of times, as well as with my friends (we took turns).

Sure the multiplayer was great, but the story is what made me buy the game in the first place, as I'm sure for many others as well.
Avatar image for mussbus999
#31 Posted by mussbus999 (415 posts) -

Sounds so raw, can't wait

Avatar image for alexander
#32 Posted by Alexander (1760 posts) -

Giantsquirrel you are amazing

Avatar image for get2sammyb
#33 Posted by get2sammyb (6686 posts) -

This was just put up on Joystiq.

Avatar image for arbitrarywater
#34 Posted by ArbitraryWater (15563 posts) -
Al3xand3r said:
"You misunderstood what they meant by open ended gameplay, Giant has already explained. They just meant it's not 100% scripted as in COD4. telling you when to rush when to snipe etc, you can now approach situations as you see fit, it has nothing to do with roaming a huge world."
Nope. What I mean by open ended is that you can approach a scenario from a number of different ways, which is does not require an open world. Far Cry 2 tried really hard to accomplish that, but really just ended up looking stupid as a result.
Avatar image for puffles
#35 Posted by Puffles (2 posts) -
Giantsquirrel said:
...they are lengthening the single player past the 6-10 hour mark of COD4.
No, they're not.

Try reading that part of the article again; it says that they're sticking to their guns despite the criticism, and that the single player for MW2 will be pretty much the same length as the single player for CoD4.
Avatar image for joslop500
#36 Edited by joslop500 (205 posts) -

Now I'm really interested in the new "Special Forces Mode" which seems is going to allow co-op play. Wow, can't wait!

Avatar image for penguindust
#37 Posted by PenguinDust (13068 posts) -
Giantsquirrel said:
Infinity Ward realizes that the "invisible line" where enemies will stop coming in COD4 wasn't great, so they're trying hard to eliminate that.
This is the best news ever as far as I am concerned for the single player.
Avatar image for jhosaphat
#38 Posted by jhosaphat (269 posts) -

wantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwantwant

Avatar image for chin35char
#39 Posted by Chin35char (4 posts) -

Can't wait for the next 5 images!!

Avatar image for darksynopsis
#40 Posted by DarkSynopsis (2 posts) -
Chin35char said:
"Can't wait for the next 5 images!!"
You and me both! :D
Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
#41 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (2085 posts) -
Giantsquirrel said:
"Here's a brief overview of the text, until I can get a higher-res gallery out.
  Soap is in the game as a "grizzled vet" NPC.Single player enemies will have "customized" weapons similar to the multiplayer component of COD4.The ice mission shown to GI demonstrated the game's open-ended approach to combat, showing how stealth can be implemented if the player chooses. While the gameplay is open-ended, the story is "on-rails".Infinity Ward realizes that the "invisible line" where enemies will stop coming in COD4 wasn't great, so they're trying hard to eliminate that. Also, they are lengthening the single player past the 6-10 hour mark of COD4."Special Forces Mode" is a major part of MW2, a series of missions in the spirit of the Mile High Club from COD4. It will also have co-op in this mode. Gears-style bleed-out-and-partner-revive will be used.Co-op apparently won't exist in Story Mode.Riot shields will be implemented in the game.Zakhaev's former associate, Makarov, is the "new face of global terrorism."Snowmobiles are used as a form of escape in the demonstration. Unclear whether or not the player will drive, shoot, or both.Players will alternate using the two triggers to climb ice-walls.Movable turrets will be used in SF mode and Single Player, no official word on online use.IW wants to implement an accomplishment system to online, as they want to make their players famous.Online mode will use a "Live-Patching" system, where IW can manipulate spawn logic or certain parts of a multiplayer map without doing a full-blown patch.Another demoed area shows an enormous desert setting where Task Force 141 drops into a wasteland and must navigate a "lengthy trek" to a fully-rendered valley with scattered caves, reminiscent of Iron Man.IW is focusing on details for the COD4 sequel, citing iced-up tire treads in the Russian level.The game will run in 60fps (duh)."
consider this pre-ordered.
Avatar image for soap_mctavish
#42 Posted by Soap_McTavish (3 posts) -

What Magazine was this from?

Avatar image for mattyftm
#43 Posted by MattyFTM (14881 posts) -
Soap_McTavish said:
"What Magazine was this from? "
Game Informer. It says in the bottom corner of the pages.
Moderator
Avatar image for soap_mctavish
#44 Posted by Soap_McTavish (3 posts) -

Is this copy of Game informer available in the UK anywhere?

if so what issue is it and where is it available ?
thanks :)

Avatar image for mattyftm
#45 Edited by MattyFTM (14881 posts) -

Nah GI is US only. Somewhere will probably import it to you, but it'll probably cost a fair bit. Why would you want to buy it though? GiantSquirrel has provided the scans so you don't really have to.

Moderator
Avatar image for andyman5022
#46 Posted by andyman5022 (3 posts) -

awesome!! thanks!

Avatar image for evolutionx0
#47 Posted by EvolutionX0 (413 posts) -

im a bit dissapointed with the no co-op mode but i see that this game will be the game of the year.

i need more info eh eh and BETA

Thanks for posting them
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
#48 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1590 posts) -
EvolutionX0 said:
"im a bit dissapointed with the no co-op mode but i see that this game will be the game of the year.
i need more info eh eh and BETA

Thanks for posting them
"
There's no co-op in the STORY mode, not the Special Forces mode or whatever.


Thanks for the post.  A lot of it sounds promising but a lot of it doesn't really make sense yet.  I'm very happy to hear about the customization in single player.  I hope they take a page from Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and let you have one upgradable character across all game modes.   Then add in the story mode, some co-op modes (maybe something like terrorist hunt, horde type defend modes) and then the multiplayer.   That's what I'm really hoping for.
Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
#49 Edited by IncredibleBulk92 (948 posts) -

Nice upload man, the quality is good enough to read.  Are you going to add the rest of the pages here?  I can't get Game Informer here in the UK and I'm trying to absorb every tiny bit of information.


This is definetely one of those pre-order the special edition games.  I honestly couldn't tell you if I'm more excited for the single player, spec ops missions or the multiplayer.  They'll all be gold.

BTW Giantsquirrel you made the front page of Joystiq (click the pic)

EDIT:  From what I read: 
  • There won't be customisation in the single player game, enemies will carry customised weapons.  I.e. have GLs and Scopes instead of just standard weapons.
  • They also suggest that there will be co-op mode in the special forces mode althought 2bh I could care either way about co-op
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
#50 Edited by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1590 posts) -

btw the giantbomb guys have to be thrilled with the traffic.  And he's staggering the scan posts?  It's too good to be true.  This has to be Jeff or Ryan or someone behind a secret name.  :)