More 38 Studios Troubles Developing

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By skyline7284

So according to Dan Teasdale 38 Studios took over some of it's employees mortgages in Massachusetts to help them move to Rhode Island. Apparently they never paid taxes on these mortgages, and now since they've fallen apart the 38 Studios employees have been left with double mortgages as well as a ton of back taxes. So now on top of not having a job, they have a ton of debt. This situation is getting really messed up really quick.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust

That's quite possibly the worst news I've heard from this whole sorry affair. I wonder if that could even be criminal negligence on 38 Studios part.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By skyline7284

@PenguinDust said:

That's quite possibly the worst news I've heard from this whole sorry affair. I wonder if that could even be criminal negligence on 38 Studios part.

If there's not a lawsuit in any of this mess i'll east my hat.

SuperTess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SuperTess

MA is Massachusetts, not Maryland. Either way, still wicked messed up stuff.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By AndrewB

@skyline7284 said:

@PenguinDust said:

If there's not a lawsuit in any of this mess i'll east my hat.

And I'll west it. Unfortunately for the potentiality of any lawsuits, 38 Studios is done. There's no money to be gotten. That's the worst kind of raw deal ever, and so criminal it pisses me off that companies get to take big risks like this and just flee when things turn bad.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By alternate

Sounds unlikely but if any of those allegations are true then the limited company veil will not protect the execs from prosecution.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

This is starting to get crazy now.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By stinky

how much money did that company think it had?

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

And now we know why the studio was paying out $3 million a month in expenses.

TribalPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TribalPlague

There is an article in Joystiq called The Dunkin Chronicles you should read about: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/25/editorial-38-studios-and-the-dunkin-delusions/

The part that really makes you want to smack that guy is the first post on the comments:

Courtney A. Martin said, "As the wife of a now former 38 employee, all I can say is that employees had been given zero FACTUAL information over the last 14 days. It was obvious enough that it was a pretty dire situation. I think that the optimism you saw was less sincere hope for the miraculous survival of the company than it was these two things:

1. A refusal to panic until they actually knew what was happening.

2. A well-intended device to keep up the morale of their fellow coworkers---who were all suddenly faced with struggling to pay rent after not getting paid for a month. It was very much a Keep Calm and stick together situation.

It's not that they thought things couldn't unravel---they know the risks inherent in the video game industry. What we didn't foresee, however was how suddenly it would all come to a screeching halt, and how poorly management would handle it. Everyone was pretty calm a week ago. But the more they learned, the more angry they have become. To be unpaid for three weeks of work, lose your insurance, and then get laid-off VIA EMAIL---without any prior warning that all was not well in the company sure as hell pisses us off. It's the worst case scenario for everyone involved, but the way it was handled was unbelievably atrocious. You don't just run out of money overnight. They KNEW, and they kept us all in the dark."

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Curt Schilling has 5 years to spend 75 million dollars... can he do it?!
Curt Schilling has 5 years to spend 75 million dollars... can he do it?!
Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deathstriker666

I'm still blown away that they used public money to "bring jobs" to the state. Corporate Welfare in full force, but it wasn't enough to keep the company afloat. I expect a lot of messy lawsuits out of this. Terrible situation for all

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kindgineer

Jesus, and this folks, is why I am getting my Bachelor's in Science and Nursing (to be an RN) before I get my sorry ass into the gaming industry. This happens all too often, and almost calls for a 100% bullet-proof back up plan.

Robot_Moses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Robot_Moses

I really hope Curt Schilling either is decent enough to dip into his own fortune to help pay for this or that he's made to in the inevitable legal shitshow this will create.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

And in this economy...yikes.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aetheldod

Poor folks :(

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Fuck Curt Shilling.

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Ujio

Wow. And I didn't think it was possible for this to go from bad to worse. Holy crap. I really hope those good employees get some kind of assistance because that is just an evil thing that happened to them for no good reason.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By NegativeCero

God damn it. This is the fucking worst.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By excast

It is just a sad tale of complete incompetence and lack of accountability.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cloudenvy

This is all kinds of bad. Like, the worst kind of bad.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Levius

Thats a real dick move, 38 studios.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Losing your job is one thing. It's sad but shit happens. This however is absolutely fuckin' wrong. Someone damn sure better make good on this.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By N7
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iamjohn

@Robot_Moses said:

I really hope Curt Schilling either is decent enough to dip into his own fortune to help pay for this or that he's made to in the inevitable legal shitshow this will create.

Don't worry about it, bro. Curt Schilling got paid out of his his initial $4 million investment so he's all good and doesn't have to worry about anything.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@iAmJohn said:

@Robot_Moses said:

Don't worry about it, bro. Curt Schilling got paid out of his his initial $4 million investment so he's all good and doesn't have to worry about anything.

As a Red Sox fan, I threw away my Schilling jersey. Fuck that piece of shit. For the management to keep their employees in the dark and then suddenly lay them all off via fucking EMAIL is despicable.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By crusader8463

I hope that's not true, because fuck those people in the ass with a rusty acid tipped barbed wire bat for doing that to people. I could not imagine the anger that would be swelling up inside me if that happened.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iamjohn

@MariachiMacabre said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Robot_Moses said:

As a Red Sox fan, I threw away my Schilling jersey. Fuck that piece of shit. For the management to keep their employees in the dark and then suddenly lay them all off via fucking EMAIL is despicable.

Granted I'm not a fan of the guy on a good day (it's one part "I find his political viewpoints abhorrent," three parts "I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Yankees fan so of course fuck him") but it really sickens me that Schilling essentially takes no hit from this. I fully believe that if he really believes in all the laissez-faire corporate empowerment bullshit he talks about, he should have, as founder and the principal face of the company, been one of the last investors to be paid out and truly had an interest in getting the games done and the company be a success. His ass should've been on the line with that company. Instead he took taxpayer money to pay his investment back to himself while (I'm sure) taking a significant salary as CEO of the company, and when the money dried up he begged the government for another loan.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@iAmJohn said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Robot_Moses said:

Granted I'm not a fan of the guy on a good day (it's one part "I find his political viewpoints abhorrent," three parts "I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Yankees fan so of course fuck him") but it really sickens me that Schilling essentially takes no hit from this. I fully believe that if he really believes in all the laissez-faire corporate empowerment bullshit he talks about, he should have, as founder and the principal face of the company, he should've been one of the last investors to be paid out and truly had an interest in getting the games done and the company be a success. His ass should've been on the line with that company. Instead he took taxpayer money to pay his investment back to himself while (I'm sure) taking a significant salary as CEO of the company, and when the money dried up he begged the government for another loan.

Typical to only believe in that laissez-faire shit when it doesn't put his ass on the line.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BionicRadd

And this kids is why you dont start a company and try to make your first game a multi-million dollar, high end MMO. You make Angry Birds and a couple of XBLA titles, first. Oh well, I hope the devs are able to bounce back from this. Then I hope someone bounces a brick off Schilling's head.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheHumanDove

Oh decisions, why were you made so poorly?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BraveToaster

This shit is crazy/scary.