More Narrative-centric Games

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

A little while back I blogged about the unification of gameplay and narrative in games and gave a couple of examples of it working well and a couple of examples of it working not so well. I know that some found those pieces a little heavily influenced by Jonathan Blow, but to show that it’s not just his games and examples that reflect how narrative can work via game mechanics I’ve come up with three very different types of games which make the player feel the emotions of their stories through their gameplay. I hope you enjoy.

The Marriage and Passage

The squares and circles of The Marriage.

Indie developer Rod Humble’s game, The Marriage, was his attempt to create a video game that qualified as art, however whether you perceive it as art or not, one is undeniable about the game, it tells its story through gameplay.   You can download the game for free here and you’ll find a piece on the same page Humble has written about the true meaning behind The Marriage, but I implore you to try and interpret the game for yourself, as decoding the meaning behind his work is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game. One of the greatest strengths of The Marriage is its ability to do so much with so little, the game is an absolutely minimalist affair, consisting of a few simple squares and circles, and yet of out the size and movement of these shapes a simple story is built where you actually care, at least a little, about the characters they represent, because they’re important to the gameplay.

Jason Rohrer’s indie title Passage is another independently developed game that uses its gameplay to get its point across, however unlike Humble’s game, it focuses primarily around the concepts of life and mortality. You can tell right from the start that it carries out this exposition in a very different way too. You can download the game free at this link and read a little about what Rohrer is trying to do at this link, but again a large amount of the fun is about discovering what the game is about for yourself.

In general while I think these games are very inventive it must be admitted that they’re very basic games. They’re dealing with largely uncharted territory though so it’s only to be expected that they’re starting off small. Are these the kinds of games that I think will become the norm in the future? No. While they display the power of gameplay as a storytelling tool they require a certain amount of analysis and translation to understand, and that’s not what the general public want, for what they are though they’re a promising indication of video games abilities to tell stories.

Train

The one and only copy of Train.

So here’s a game that’s loud and clear about what it’s doing, albeit a board game. You may be wondering whether we can really learn about video games through board games and the answer is not only “yes” but that video game designers have been doing it for years. While it may seem a little reductionist, once you strip away the aesthetics and the essential technology used to deliver the experience what you have is a set of rules or gameplay mechanics, and so on that level all games are comparable.

You may have heard about Train if you have listened to Giant Bomb’s GDC Bombcasts, but in case you haven’t Train is just one in Brenda Brathwaite’s ‘The Mechanic is the Message’ series of games. Brathwaite started working in the video games industry over thirty years ago and is responsible for the Wizardry series and the Jagged Alliance series among other games. You may not think that her development credits sound particularly impressive but as was the case with Jonathan Blow it’s not just important what the person has created here but what they understand about video games.

Train is a two player game where, on their respective turns, each player rolls a dice and decides whether to move their train cart forwards by the number shown on the dice or add as many people (which are physical pieces in the game) to their train cart as shown on the dice. The object of the game for each player is to deliver their passengers to the end of the train journey. Special event cards which change the course of the game can be picked up along the way but ultimately what matters is the “terminus card” that is turned over when the first train cart reaches its destination. This card bears the name of a Nazi concentration camp and this is the point at which it is revealed to the players that they have been playing Nazi officers packing Jews into train carts and sending them to their death. At this point the players can decide to get up and walk away, having nothing to do with the grim business anymore or they can continue to keep playing, attempting to sabotage the operations.

Undoubtedly just by touching on such a sensitive issue it’s clear that Brathwaite’s game was poised to invoke emotions in many but I think the fact that it is a game and not just a book, film, or other piece of work is integral to the experience it has provided players. Brathwaite says that due to the game being about the players personally handling the people and moving the carts it couldn’t work as a video game, and I see her point, but none the less it shows the amazing power that interaction can have in telling a story. These past few examples have all been fairly niche games though, perhaps we should look to an example of a more mainstream game.

Missile Command

The iconic vista of Missile Command.

Kudos for coming up with this final example actually go to The Escapist’s illustrious Extra Credits crew. In their episode on ‘Narrative Mechanics’ they note that despite being a game originating from the halcyon days of the arcade it manages to use it’s gameplay to make you really feel a tiny piece of the stress and struggle of defending against a nuclear attack. Some might assume that because Missile Command doesn’t lay out its narrative through explicit text or cinematics that it has no narrative but remember, a narrative isn’t necessarily a clearly laid-out or highly involved story, as The Marriage showed narrative can be born out of something as simple as the most basic graphics of a game.

In Missile Command the narrative consists of you are defending six cities against a nuclear strike using three missile launch sites, nothing more, nothing less. The game manages to make you care about the cities, not through a grand story of terrified citizens awaiting the inevitable end, or cutscenes of women and children huddling together in their last moments, but by making the cities the only thing in the game standing between you and failure. As a player your number one priority is to keep those cities standing and because they matter to you as gameplay components, they matter to you on an emotional level.   I believe there’s a lot modern designers can learn from a game like Missile Command.

Duder, It’s Over

So, there are a few more examples of games that able to use their gameplay as a tool for their narrative, rather than leaving the story and gameplay as largely unrelated components, and I really hope we can see more of the like in the future. Thanks for reading. Good luck, have abominations.

-Gamer_152

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

A little while back I blogged about the unification of gameplay and narrative in games and gave a couple of examples of it working well and a couple of examples of it working not so well. I know that some found those pieces a little heavily influenced by Jonathan Blow, but to show that it’s not just his games and examples that reflect how narrative can work via game mechanics I’ve come up with three very different types of games which make the player feel the emotions of their stories through their gameplay. I hope you enjoy.

The Marriage and Passage

Indie developer Rod Humble’s game, The Marriage, was his attempt to create a video game that qualified as art, however whether you perceive it as art or not, one is undeniable about the game, it tells its story through gameplay.   You can download the game for free here and you’ll find a piece on the same page Humble has written about the true meaning behind The Marriage, but I implore you to try and interpret the game for yourself, as decoding the meaning behind his work is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game. One of the greatest strengths of The Marriage is its ability to do so much with so little, the game is an absolutely minimalist affair, consisting of a few simple squares and circles, and yet of out the size and movement of these shapes a simple story is built where you actually care, at least a little, about the characters they represent, because they’re important to the gameplay.

Jason Rohrer’s indie title Passage is another independently developed game that uses its gameplay to get its point across, however unlike Humble’s game, it focuses primarily around the concepts of life and mortality. You can tell right from the start that it carries out this exposition in a very different way too. You can download the game free at this link and read a little about what Rohrer is trying to do at this link, but again a large amount of the fun is about discovering what the game is about for yourself.

In general while I think these games are very inventive it must be admitted that they’re very basic games. They’re dealing with largely uncharted territory though so it’s only to be expected that they’re starting off small. Are these the kinds of games that I think will become the norm in the future? No. While they display the power of gameplay as a storytelling tool they require a certain amount of analysis and translation to understand, and that’s not what the general public want, for what they are though they’re a promising indication of video games abilities to tell stories.

Train

So here’s a game that’s loud and clear about what it’s doing, albeit a board game. You may be wondering whether we can really learn about video games through board games and the answer is not only “yes” but that video game designers have been doing it for years. While it may seem a little reductionist, once you strip away the aesthetics and the essential technology used to deliver the experience what you have is a set of rules or gameplay mechanics, and so on that level all games are comparable.

You may have heard about Train if you have listened to Giant Bomb’s GDC Bombcasts, but in case you haven’t Train is just one in Brenda Brathwaite’s ‘The Mechanic is the Message’ series of games. Brathwaite started working in the video games industry over thirty years ago and is responsible for the Wizardry series and the Jagged Alliance series among other games. You may not think that her development credits sound particularly impressive but as was the case with Jonathan Blow it’s not just important what the person has created here but what they understand about video games.

Train is a two player game where, on their respective turns, each player rolls a dice and decides whether to move their train cart forwards by the number shown on the dice or add as many people (which are physical pieces in the game) to their train cart as shown on the dice. The object of the game for each player is to deliver their passengers to the end of the train journey. Special event cards which change the course of the game can be picked up along the way but ultimately what matters is the “terminus card” that is turned over when the first train cart reaches its destination. This card bears the name of a Nazi concentration camp and this is the point at which it is revealed to the players that they have been playing Nazi officers packing Jews into train carts and sending them to their death. At this point the players can decide to get up and walk away, having nothing to do with the grim business anymore or they can continue to keep playing, attempting to sabotage the operations.

Undoubtedly just by touching on such a sensitive issue it’s clear that Brathwaite’s game was poised to invoke emotions in many but I think the fact that it is a game and not just a book, film, or other piece of work is integral to the experience it has provided players. Brathwaite says that due to the game being about the players personally handling the people and moving the carts it couldn’t work as a video game, and I see her point, but none the less it shows the amazing power that interaction can have in telling a story. These past few examples have all been fairly niche games though, perhaps we should look to an example of a more mainstream game.

Missile Command

Kudos for coming up with this final example actually go to The Escapist’s illustrious Extra Credits crew. In their episode on ‘Narrative Mechanics’ they note that despite being a game originating from the halcyon days of the arcade it manages to use it’s gameplay to make you really feel a tiny piece of the stress and struggle of defending against a nuclear attack. Some might assume that because Missile Command doesn’t lay out its narrative through explicit text or cinematics that it has no narrative but remember, a narrative isn’t necessarily a clearly laid-out or highly involved story, as The Marriage showed narrative can be born out of something as simple as the most basic graphics of a game.

In Missile Command the narrative consists of you are defending six cities against a nuclear strike using three missile launch sites, nothing more, nothing less. The game manages to make you care about the cities, not through a grand story of terrified citizens awaiting the inevitable end, or cutscenes of women and children huddling together in their last moments, but by making the cities the only thing in the game standing between you and failure. As a player your number one priority is to keep those cities standing and because they matter to you as gameplay components, they matter to you on an emotional level.   I believe there’s a lot modern designers can learn from a game like Missile Command.

Duder, It’s Over

So, there are a few more examples of games that able to use their gameplay as a tool for their narrative, rather than leaving the story and gameplay as largely unrelated components, and I really hope we can see more of the like in the future. Thanks for reading. Good luck, have abominations.

-Gamer_152

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Do I need to say it? Yes? OK: Fragile Dreams. OK, it uses words and cutscenes and stuff, but in ways that you really can't replicate in any other medium.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RetroIce4

Killer 7 and I still don't understand the plot completely.
Popskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Popskinz
@RetroIce4 said:
"Killer 7 and I still don't understand the plot completely. "

This.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By WickedCestus

It seems like a good fit that you of all people would like Extra Credits, but personally that reference kinda made me jump off board  this blog. I don't think Missile Command has a "narrative" at all, it has a simple framing device, just like most of the games of that era. 

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@Video_Game_King:@RetroIce4:@Popskinz: Thanks for the recommendations guys, I'll do what I can to look up those games.

@supermike6: Like I say narrative does not equal plot, they're not the same thing. The narrative of Missile Command is that you have a certain number of cities to protect, a certain number of missile bases at your disposal, and you must stave off incoming fire for as long as possible, nothing more, nothing less. I wasn't praising Missile Command for the narrative itself, I was praising it for its ability to make the player feel the emotion of the situation it presented, through gameplay.
RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By RagingLion

Was aware of all these games before but still good to read.

I kind of agree with supermike6 that something different is going on with Missile Command than in the other games.  There might be praiseworthy things about its narrative - although I can't say it did too much for when I played it, but when talking about 'simple framing devices' there's a lot of games that fit into that sphere and it's a different one than these other games I think.

In case you haven't come across it yet, something I reckon you might be interested in from reading your stuff is a blog by freelance narrative designer Tom Jubert best known for his work on the Penumbra series.  He's a bit of a thinker and is definitely up for pushing games forward through more innovative and stronger game narratives.  I recommend it and there's a decent backlog of interesting articles now:  'Plot is Gameplay's Bitch'.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@RagingLion: Thanks for your comment. Yes, I believe the creator of Missile Command was trying to do something very different than the creators of my other examples were. He didn't have some sort of Jonathon Blow-esque vision of marrying narrative and gameplay, he just wanted to make a good video game. None the less, I don't think that stops Missile Command from standing out as a strong example of how video games can evoke emotion in players in a way that adapts itself very well to the narrative of the game. I'll make sure to check out the blog you mentioned, at first glance it looks like a good read, thanks for the tip.
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By just_nonplussed

It's not just missile command though. It's all those simple but brilliant arcade games from the atari era. Even modern arcade games such as Birds & Beans on DSi have very neat and simple narratives that tend to enhance and exagerate our ambitious nature to win.

I wrote more on game narratives and other things at a gamepsot union/message board called Play Ground I set up a while ago. Might be of interest to you.
Cheers,

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@just_nonplussed: I think there's something to be said for "neat" stories, they're certainly nice addition to the experience, but that's not what I'm trying to get at here. When I talk about Missile Command I'm trying to get across that the designer has created a situation (most likely by accident) in which gameplay conveys the same emotions to the player that the narrative does and that the gameplay causes the player to act in a way that the same character in the narrative is. It would be emotionally a difficult decision deciding whether a city should be nuked or not and likewise the gameplay makes it a difficult decision whether a city should be nuked or not. This is going beyond just "neatness" and isn't something you find in every arcade game, games like Asteroids, Space Invaders, Pacman etc. are great games and don't need their narratives tweaking in any way, but they're just not doing what games like Braid and Missile Command do. Heck, these arcade games barely even have narratives and it seems that you consider simple narratives to positively impact a game to a much higher degree than I do. Thanks for your comment though, I'll check out your blog posts.
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By just_nonplussed
@Gamer_152 said:

@just_nonplussed: I think there's something to be said for "neat" stories, they're certainly nice addition to the experience, but that's not what I'm trying to get at here. When I talk about Missile Command I'm trying to get across that the designer has created a situation (most likely by accident) in which gameplay conveys the same emotions to the player that the narrative does and that the gameplay causes the player to act in a way that the same character in the narrative is. It would be emotionally a difficult decision deciding whether a city should be nuked or not and likewise the gameplay makes it a difficult decision whether a city should be nuked or not. This is going beyond just "neatness" and isn't something you find in every arcade game, games like Asteroids, Space Invaders, Pacman etc. are great games and don't need their narratives tweaking in any way, but they're just not doing what games like Braid and Missile Command do. Heck, these arcade games barely even have narratives and it seems that you consider simple narratives to positively impact a game to a much higher degree than I do. Thanks for your comment though, I'll check out your blog posts.

We're both different people with different perspectives, so we're not destined to meet eye-to-eye. :-) But Pac-Man is often considered a parable of capitalism and over-consumption. It's no suprise that the character was inspired by a pizza with a slice missing; the game is all about our hectic, fast-food, fast-life culture.

Regarding Missile Command though, I think I realized this narrative through another game called Pyoro. You can find videos of it online, but it plays similarly to MC. Fruit falls from the sky and erodes away at the platforms below. You play as a little bird that sticks its tongue out to catch the fruit. Obviously, the goal is (In the immortal instructions of Pong) to avoid missing the fruit for a high score, but your survival relies on consuming the fruit. Even Pyoro's red, diagonal tongue mirrors the lasers of MC as you try to minimize damage to the platform. In my review I wrote that the role of the player in this game is that of world-maintainer. Anyway, it's difficult to explain the subtlties of the game in words. There aren't any weighty moral choices as such, but I enjoy the role I have inside that system; I understand my place in that narrative.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@just_nonplussed: We obviously have differing opinions on which games have the best narratives, I mean Pyoro barely has a narrative and while there's nothing wrong with what it does have, but I'm about as far as a human being can possibly be from putting it alongside the likes of Portal and Braid, my main issue though is that I'm not sure you understand the point I'm trying to get across in these blogs. I'm not just talking about "good narrative" here, I'm talking about situations where gameplay and narrative are sculpted in regards to each other to convey specific emotions to the player, and I just don't think you get that with Pyoro. I mean I guess you want the fruit because it gives you points in the game just like the bird wants the fruit because it's hungry, but I really don't think the game takes that even the tiniest bit near the level games like Train and The Marriage do.

As for Pacman I wouldn't say that parable is often what Pacman is considered to represent, but it's certainly an interesting analogy and I'd love to see a video game which did do a good job of tackling the issues of over-consumption and capitalism, but doesn't the idea that Pacman is that game seem the tiniest bit ridiculous to you? Is there actually any reason to believe that game is anything more than a fun little arcade game about a yellow smiley face gobbling up pellets and dodging ghosts? Pacman did a great thing by introducing the idea of a recognisable character into gaming but wouldn't Iwatani have said something by now if he'd actually made this revolutionary story experience way before its time? This might be a slightly trivial issue but he also revealed in an interview in the mid-80s that the idea that Pacman was based on a pizza with a slice missing was a partial lie, he also based him off of a corruption of the Japanese character for mouth.

As for the role in Pyoro I guess in any game the player is kind of the world-maintainer in that they keep the whole thing from hitting the game over screen, but if anything I think the player in Pyoro is the maintainer of the bird itself, and even then in a rather shallow way (again, not that there's anything wrong with that). I agree that a game does not need moral choices to have a good narrative and that within a game world, however simplistic, there is something rather comforting about the sense of purpose you clearly assume within the world. Thank you though, while I agree with very few of your points, this discussion has gotten me thinking in a way I've enjoyed.
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By just_nonplussed
@Gamer_152 said:
@just_nonplussed: We obviously have differing opinions on which games have the best narratives, I mean Pyoro barely has a narrative and while there's nothing wrong with what it does have, but I'm about as far as a human being can possibly be from putting it alongside the likes of Portal and Braid, my main issue though is that I'm not sure you understand the point I'm trying to get across in these blogs. I'm not just talking about "good narrative" here, I'm talking about situations where gameplay and narrative are sculpted in regards to each other to convey specific emotions to the player, and I just don't think you get that with Pyoro.

I need to write one more blog to settle these differences. I think I understood the contention points today. :-) I'll see if i can wrap it up.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
@just_nonplussed said:
@Gamer_152 said:
@just_nonplussed: We obviously have differing opinions on which games have the best narratives, I mean Pyoro barely has a narrative and while there's nothing wrong with what it does have, but I'm about as far as a human being can possibly be from putting it alongside the likes of Portal and Braid, my main issue though is that I'm not sure you understand the point I'm trying to get across in these blogs. I'm not just talking about "good narrative" here, I'm talking about situations where gameplay and narrative are sculpted in regards to each other to convey specific emotions to the player, and I just don't think you get that with Pyoro.
  I need to write one more blog to settle these differences. I think I understood the contention points today. :-) I'll see if i can wrap it up.
Whoops, just so there is no confusion I did mean to write the same specific emotions.
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By just_nonplussed

Just finished the blog. You can view it here. :-)
I haven't dwelled at all on personal preferences for types of stories, which frankly is down to opinion and taste. So it's not about that, but it is about distinctions and types of storytelling.