Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm pretty sure we've all seen best/worst games threads before, but what about the most AVERAGE game? Huh? How often does that happen. However, a few rules first:

The game cannot have any major success of any kind, critically or financially.
It cannot evoke any emotions except emptiness and complacency.
Please tell me WHY you chose the game. No posts with just the title of the game.

Alright, now that that is out of the way, I'll tell you mine: Lufia & the Fortress of Doom. Almost nothing stood out in this game. The graphics were average, the story was...passable, the music made up of the trumpet wails of yore, and even the weird control scheme was done before (albeit in a much worse game, but done nonetheless). That's mine, what's yours?

RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RawShark

Interesting. I'm probably gonna have to go with Project I.G.I from years back on the PC. Supposed stealth gameplay was negated by the fact you could run and gun. The whole game just followed the year 2000 template for a shooter. Linear levels. Key + door puzzles. Ech. And the hero was Welsh.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

Lord of the Rings: Conquest.  It wasn't very good, but it wasn't really a bad game either.  The worst part about it is that it was full price.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
RawShark said:
"Interesting. I'm probably gonna have to go with Project I.G.I from years back on the PC. Supposed stealth gameplay was negated by the fact you could run and gun. The whole game just followed the year 2000 template for a shooter. Linear levels. Key + door puzzles. Ech. And the hero was Welsh. "
What's wrong with Welsh protagonists, other than neck beards that threaten to consume their chins :P?
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Resistance 1  I ignore your rules for this and pick this one.

it was one of the most generic fps i've ever seen mechanics dating back from the begining of fps games, i often saw bushes in this game which were just 2d images that would rotate to your view of them, the main protaginist never talked for the most part and thats so generic for a game, It scored AA, and has 3.5 million sales since release but in every way it was a average mediocre game, it offered and tried nothing new and what it did do was done better before and after it.

P.S: I ignore the rules because average is in the eye of the beholder obviously people liked resistance, I personally loved Lufia and sudeki.
P.P.S: I personally minused my post so as to beat people to the punch since it wouldn't have taken long to get a minus on my post, since all my posts usually get minused even when nothing is wrong with them.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ParanoidFreak

The most recent mediocre game I remember playing is Stranglehold, it was not bad, but the whole game just felt unfinished.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King
WilliamRLBaker said:
"Resistance 1  I ignore your rules for this and pick this one.it was one of the most generic fps i've ever seen mechanics dating back from the begining of fps games, i often saw bushes in this game which were just 2d images that would rotate to your view of them, the main protaginist never talked for the most part and thats so generic for a game, It scored AA, and has 3.5 million sales since release but in every way it was a average mediocre game, it offered and tried nothing new and what it did do was done better before and after it.P.S: I ignore the rules because average is in the eye of the beholder obviously people liked resistance, I personally loved Lufia and sudeki.P.P.S: I personally minused my post so as to beat people to the punch since it wouldn't have taken long to get a minus on my post, since all my posts usually get minused even when nothing is wrong with them."
I'd rather not ignore the rules. It's hard to define what "average," and I believe I did the best I could. You can ignore the success part, maybe, but the others are pretty much necessary. Other than that, good game choice.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Starsky and Hutch.  It was passably fun, but I knew it was going to gather dust after the first hour.

NinjaMunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By NinjaMunkey

1)Guitar her 3: all my friends told me it was great, but when I played it it was ok, it was cool playing all the songs and for a while i really liked it, but after a few hours i did all the songs on medium and got bored. It cost me £50... my friends are casual gamers though so its the last tme i listen to them...

2) Far cry 2. I know it was successful but I found it very meh... Yeah the graphics were nice, and the world was big and the shooting was fun but it was so repetitive and the story was horrible so I never really enjoyed it that much. It relied on you making it fun yourself and it just felt like a chore...

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By TheJollyRajah

For me....

It's Resistance 2. Not good. Not bad. Just.... OK I guess.
GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GnaTSoL

Zelda: Wind Waker. Absolutely average IMO. I dreaded not buying Metroid Prime over Wind Waker as my first Gamecube title. :(

Not bad, not great, just boring... Hella boring.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheGremp

Dark Sector.  To me, that game was the epitome of Meh-ness.

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By justinnotjason

Dark Sector had mediocre all over the place. Lack of a story. Lack of anything different after 2 hours, and ripped off gameplay (minus the glade it was basically RE4), made this game as mediocre as possible. The story was basically non existent and not coherent, and I just didn't care.

The under lying mechanics weren't to bad but the game was just poor. It was Average at best.

Another game I would have to say is Lost Planet. It's very bland and not really that good. As the GT review said "It's never bad enough to be good, and never good enough to be good".

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By artofwar420

Yeah, I remember Dark Sector, it was pretty much the most representative average game. Story started out fine, then they didn't take that anywhere else. Gameplay was fun, but there was a few "unpolished" things about it. Pretty average game, I'm glad I played it, you know being one of the "First" shown "next gen" games.

The other one would be Far Cry 2. It's above Dark Sector, it' more ambitious. But it's average in its story. The missions are pretty much all the same. I felt pretty "meh" as they say. I'll still play it probably.

EyeEatDogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EyeEatDogs

Far Cry 2 fo sho. That was the most average game I have ever owned in my life. Second place is Fable 2 for me. Fortunately I made a profit off of trading in FC2, I lost 30 dollars when I traded Fable 2 in.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Drebin_893

GTA IV

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By artofwar420
Drebin_893 said:
"GTA IV"
Watch your back, Jeff might be there.
Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Inf225

Killzone 2, maybe its just me, but i dont see anything special about it, fun yes, but nothing special

EyeEatDogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EyeEatDogs
Drebin_893 said:
"GTA IV"
You just beat me so bad with that choice. I always overlook that game in terms of Meh-ness. For me, Free mode was great for a bit, and everything else was like a chore. Where's all the fun stuff? Why all these towers and no parachute? Why no flamethrowers or grenade launchers or crazy unlockable airplane? Hell, I probably missed all the enterable buildings since 99.9% of the buildings looked so bland I didn't notice I could enter them. Nothing seemed epic and no texture seemed too impressive.

EDIT: We all totally broke the "successful" rules. Except I always thought Far Cry 2 didn't have as much hype as other games, and I didn't see many people online when I had it.
Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Computerplayer1

The original Fable or GTA IV

Cuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cuddy

The whole GTA series has never ever done anything for me... i just play it for 5 mins and go... Meh... its ok... but no...

and i remember playing Halo 1 for the pc and there had been so much hype about that damn game and i was vary as i hate when the masses starts hypeing games. and what do you know... it was extremely Meh... same with Halo 2.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By artofwar420
EyeEatDogs said:
"Drebin_893 said:
"GTA IV"
You just beat me so bad with that choice. I always overlook that game in terms of Meh-ness. For me, Free mode was great for a bit, and everything else was like a chore. Where's all the fun stuff? Why all these towers and no parachute? Why no flamethrowers or grenade launchers or crazy unlockable airplane? Hell, I probably missed all the enterable buildings since 99.9% of the buildings looked so bland I didn't notice I could enter them. Nothing seemed epic and no texture seemed too impressive.EDIT: We all totally broke the "successful" rules. Except I always thought Far Cry 2 didn't have as much hype as other games, and I didn't see many people online when I had it."
Believe it or not, a couple of days ago it was pretty full with people... whatever that means, they must like it I guess.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By EpicSteve

Stranglehold is a great example

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Your mom.

Why? Well, you probably know.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Video_Game_King said:
"However, a few rules first:The game cannot have any major success of any kind, critically or financially. "

Stupid rule.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King
Bellum said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"However, a few rules first:The game cannot have any major success of any kind, critically or financially. "
Stupid rule."
Fair enough. However, I still want the rule there. What else will keep this from becoming a fanboy battlezone, where average is warped into bad in the same manner that overrated was?
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By raven_squad

Resistance 1 and 2, and Halo 1-3 are ridiculously average games. Im ignoring the rule because this isnt a fanboy statement. Neither of them deserve the praise thats lavished upon them. GTA 4 would be a very close 3rd. 

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Coltonio7
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lemon360

SotC

Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Computerplayer1
lemon360 said:
"SotC"
Oh God, you're going to start a "Games as Art" war with that one haha.

Personally, I liked that game a lot. I can, however, see why someone would consider it to be meh.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am going to go with the popular choice of Dark Sector, or maybe Fracture.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kashif1
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"Lord of the Rings: Conquest.  It wasn't very good, but it wasn't really a bad game either.  The worst part about it is that it was full price."
this
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#33  Edited By LordAndrew
Video_Game_King said:
"Bellum said:
"Video_Game_King said:
Stupid rule."
Fair enough. However, I still want the rule there. What else will keep this from becoming a fanboy battlezone, where average is warped into bad in the same manner that overrated was?"
I like to think that most of us are sensible enough not to let that happen. Even with the rules you've provided there could still be arguments.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Meowayne

The first TimeSplitters, perhaps. It's difficult to say because I simply don't play games that don't entertain me.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dauragon
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King
LordAndrew said:
"Video_Game_King said:
"Bellum said:
"Video_Game_King said:
Stupid rule."
Fair enough. However, I still want the rule there. What else will keep this from becoming a fanboy battlezone, where average is warped into bad in the same manner that overrated was?"
I like to think that most of us are sensible enough not to let that happen. Even with the rules you've provided there could still be arguments."
To be honest, I never expected people to list incredibly well known games. I figured that the middle of every gamer's ranking would become more obscure. Imagine a parabola, only mapped by popularity.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By penguindust

Hmm, tough question because average games are usually the ones I forget.  Really bad games stand out as much as really good ones, but "meh" games just fad into the background.  Anyway, after looking through my collection, I'd have to say Test Drive: Unlimited.  There is nothing bad about the game.  It's graphics are okay and driving is decent, but there is nothing outstanding or memorable about the game.  Maybe at one time, the unique online was interesting, but since no one plays it anymore that is meaningless.  I don't hate it, I just have no desire to play it...hell, I'm too lazy to even sell it.  I keep forgetting I own it.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By BoG
lemon360 said:
"SotC"
BLASPHEMY!

Anyways, for me, it has to be Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. I fell in love with Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones on the GBA, but the Gamecube version didn't do anything for me. The brilliant artowork of the sprite animated games was gone, replaced with some pretty awful 3D characters and animation. The maps never felt as well designed, the music wasn't emotional, the missions were ok, and the story was meh. I really wanted to like PoR, but it felt as if the game had done away with all personality when moving to the new generation. It wasn't bad, it wasn't what I had hoped for, either.
Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Kr3lian

I think a lot of people are abusing this topic to sound edgy.  I don't think GTA4 and Halo are as great as people say, but I certainly wouldn't call them AVERAGE!  Come on!

Clearly, the most average game is Scarface: The World is Yours.