Most Creative Games of 2019 - Which Should I Check Out?

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 6

Hey duders,

At this point in the year I'm pretty much done with the big releases. That said, I've been trying to check out some of the more creative releases of 2019. Stuff that has an interesting gameplay hook, presentation, or style. Some that I would recommend are Pikuniku, Ape Out, and Anodyne 2. My hit list for the next two months is Control and Outer Wilds, and maybe Hypnospace Outlaw. What are some artistically interesting games you've enjoyed in 2019?

(P.S. - I'm not really interested in Death Stranding. We don't need to argue in this thread. :P)

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I recently started playing Eastshade, it was released on PC quite a while ago if I recall correctly but is now on at least PS4 (no idea if it’s on Xbox as well). It has been a surreal experience that I would definitely suggest trying if you have not already. If someone doesn’t know what it is, it’s basically a first person RPG streamlined to basics without combat (or maybe a more intricate walking simulator with dialogue and quests) and instead you walk around and do paintings of things and solve the occassional puzzle (which are generally either story/riddle or painting related, or just a bonus). Story wise it feels like someone sat down and said ”let’s make every story rooted in empathy”. It feels weird, I am still waiting to get a sword and kill rats. But instead I help someone plan a date, painted a sunset and helped solve a misunderstanding. It’s all just weirdly wholesome.

The best comparison I can think of is playing Gone Home and feeling like it was going to turn into a horror game in regards to what the game looks like vs what it ends up being.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Check out Neo Cab. It's a sci-fi Uber sim-lite meets visual novel/adventure game. Cool idea. Some thoughtful writing. Doesn't quite stick the landing but totally worth 5-6 or so hours it lasts.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Goose Game

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Later Alligator has a really neat graphical style that i haven't quite seen before in that way.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I’m still early in Afterparty, but the gameplay hook seems to basically be Oxenfree, but now you get drink to get loose, mean, flirty, etc., expanding dialog options.

The controls are basically walk left, walk right, talk, and drink.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Sayonara Wild Hearts was a great ride for the short while it lasted, extremely stylish. Love everything about the presentation.

Would also highly recommend Whispers of a Machine if you're looking for a 2D adventure game. It's got a really smart gameplay hook that basically forces you to play differently depending on your dialogue choices, like a Deus Ex adventure game.

Finally, this definitely isn't what I'd call most creative per se, but Globesweeper basically did for Minesweeper what Picross 3D did for Picross and let me tell you, I have spent an embarrassing amount of time playing this game.

PananaBeel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: I just tried this based on your recommendation (there's a free demo on Steam). It's very relaxing and the writing is enjoyable. I wondered why I was given a choice with some dialogue options when it seems you can only actually pick one. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion! I'm exploring more of the visual novel type games.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By liquiddragon

@pananabeel: I think depending on the choice you made previous, different choices are available. I think. Don't quote me on this. Cuz certain options put you in a certain mood and the choices are sometimes mood based so it's kind of a domino effect.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Dark Wood was pretty cool but also kind of unsettling so I never got too far in it lol.

Disco Elysium is a masterpiece but also like 90% text.