Most disappointing game you have ever played.

Defias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#351  Edited By Defias

Mine would be Left 4 Dead I built it up to standards inachievable by basically living and breathing just for the sake of playing that game. I don't know why but I have always been infatuated with zombies. But when the game came out and it was nothing compared to my ridiculous expectations. So ever since L4D broke my heart I stopped following any game too closely otherwise I will be disappointed with every game I play.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#352  Edited By kraznor
@bartok said:
" Probably Brutal Legend.  "
Right out of the gate. And yeah, definitely this.
JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#354  Edited By JBG4

Daikatana... yeah, I bought into the hype at first then as more information became available my excitement began to diminish. After actually playing the game I felt less like John Romero made me his bitch and more like he just mugged me on the street and took my wallet.
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#355  Edited By JoeyRavn

Every popular game. Right?

Also:

1. Mafia II: The story was mildly good, but everything else felt very barebones, especially the DLCs.
  2. Clubhouse Games: It has a great selection of traditional board games, but the CPU players are completely broken. They know exactly what you'll do and almost never fail. They turn every game into an ordeal. And the multiplayer aspect of the game... Well, do you really need a DS to play chess against a friend? Getting the games you are really interested in will probably be much cheaper than getting up to four DSes and games to play them on.
  3. Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords: Another case of broken AI that ruins the game.
  4. Bioware has the ability to produce final DLCs that somehow manage to lower the quality of the main game in my eyes. Although it's not a full game, Witch Hunt for Dragon Age: Origins made me hate a game I loved. Even using the patched version, it somehow managed to screw up my previous record and completely ignored my relationship with Morrigan. I had to fix it via the debug options in the console.
  5. Same case with Arrival for Mass Effect 2. At least it was just mediocre enough to leave a bitter taste in my mouth, but not to the point I hated the main game.
Pumpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#356  Edited By Pumpe

^Wait, you drag DLC into this? But yea, Arrival lacked an extra gear and as far as Im concerned Im a Mass Effect silent zealot.

Number 1:
Doom 3 - I wasted alot of hours in Doom and Doom 2 (holy shit, I was 10/11 when those were released). So shoving Doom 3 into the computer and hoping for an adrenaline pumping shooter, but the only thing that god damned game managed to do was to make me mentally shit my pants and get annoyed.
Like the god damned flashlight. Switching between that and the gun. Very enjoyable to not see the surroundings or monsters. Thank god for the duct tape mod. In hindsight it didnt really matter if you didnt see shit: Just corridors upon corridors and monsters jumping out trying to scare you.

Number 2:
Quake 4 - Now, I had a blast in multiplayer playing all the Quake games (I preferred them all over Unreal and CunterStrike), but this piece of shit didnt really try at all.

Number 3:
Alpha Protocol - I wanted it to be good, but most of that game wasnt up to snuff. Maxing out the stealth crapola? Congrats you can now knock someone out in full daylight and the buddy 30cm to the right wont even react.
Not to mention that the game spoiled itself several times for me. One example would be the NPCs that kept saying I did some shit in Hong Kong (?) when I hadnt even been there yet. Not to mention that the game had about zero polish and really just didnt felt finished. Kind of amazing looking at the development time for that one (I got some memory of it being really long). Makes you appreciate Dragon Age 2 if the rumors around the development time are right.

Number 4:
Id say Modern Warfare 2, but Im not sure thats fair since I did kill 150 hours in the multiplayer of that game (I blame that on having friends playing it). It was just the same as CoD4 without dedicated servers and with even more bullshit killstreaks and whatnot.

oddface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357  Edited By oddface

Long thread, but I didn't see this one mentioned:

Driv3r.

I was so excited for it. I thought it looked awesome and it had been in a development for ages. When it finally came out it was a boring, half-finished, completely broken piece of shit.
JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#358  Edited By JJGIANT
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @phrosnite said:
" Assassin's Creed "
are you for real ? a game that is graphically stunning, has one of the greatest  original IP historical stories of this generation and some kickass action, but is flawed by repetitive gameplay (personally i dont think its repetitive one bit) and a few gameplay hitches (walking up walls and the occasional bug) and you list it as the most disappointing game? 
thats unreal .. 

for me its always been Damnation "
@ssj4raditz said:
" Bullet Witch. The story was kinda interesting, but pretty much everything else about it was blah. "

I do understand either of these answers. These games where never presented as though they could be quality products before release....You must be joking.
swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#359  Edited By swoxx

FFXIII, Dragon Age 2, Kotor2 are ranked pretty high

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#360  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@Metal_Mills said:
" @Wrighteous86 said:
" It's going to sound like troll-bait, but it's true: Dragon Age 2. It's not a bad game, but it disappointed me more than any other game I've played. "
That'sa not troll-bait. Tons of people thought DA2 was garbage. It was a big step back. "

Yeah...Dragon Age 2 is a game you hate to hate...

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#361  Edited By xpgamer7

Assasain's creed or maybe Burnout Dominator.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By Goly

It will always be The Getaway. I wanted this to be a Guy Ritchie in video game form, and in a certain sense it was but to have a game like this I'd rather just see the cutscenes and not have to experience the dreadful gameplay.

Parkingtigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#363  Edited By Parkingtigers
@Cold_Wolven said:
" Mass Effect. When I first saw that game I was blown away by how fantastic it looked but when I  playing about an hour in I was quickly disappointed by how much the RPG element was crippling it and just how hard the difficulty was. I haven't even touched ME2 but I've been meaning to, is it more of a shooter than an RPG? "
Mass Effect wasn't hard at all.  I played it through on normal without breaking a sweat, and on my second playthrough skipped over veteran to go straight to hardcore level.  Now that was a challenge, but very satisfying.  Insanity mode ... yeah, that gets a bit bullshit at times, especially if you play as a biotic.  The Benezia fight took me 3 hours to complete, it was balls hard.

Considering you have the option to even play on easy, you'd be well advised to go back and try it again.  It's my favourite game of all time, and I'd hate to think you were skipping it because you weren't able to come to terms with some fairly basic cover-based shooting.  Put it on easy, play as a soldier, and you'll be able to breeze through any fight without dying even once.  The story will remain just as magnificent though.
Avatar image for deactivated-65d51c2303ca6
deactivated-65d51c2303ca6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Actually the most disappointing game I've ever played came pretty recently. Dragon Age 2. I loved Origins. I completed multiple playthroughs on multiple systems, so naturally I was extremely excited about DA2. The lack of new environments, newly revised but incredibly boring combat, the lack of any overarching storyline, etc. etc. ruined the experience for me. Absolutely the most disappointing video game I've ever played.  

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365  Edited By Matfei90

Fable 2 and 3, and Gran Turismo 5.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By Cold_Wolven
@Parkingtigers: The reason why it's hard for me is because I'm up to a mission earlier on in the game where I'm on the ice planet and I have to kill this lady but her minions bumrush me as soon as the cutscene ends. If there was cover I'd take it but there ain't none so I'm left out in the open taking damage. From the things I've heard about ME2 I think I'd rather just skip to that.
Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#367  Edited By Hardgamer
@Matfei90 said:
" Fable 2 and 3, and Gran Turismo 5. "
Dang, you're right.
Avatar image for rampageassassin
RampageAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368  Edited By RampageAssassin

Mine would have to be Fable III. Fable II was great and this one just went down a huge slippery hill. Have no idea how Lionhead made it that bad.

Brad_360i

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#369  Edited By Brad_360i

ALPHA MOTHERFUCKING PROTOCOL

They were like, "from the creators of mass effect" and I was like, "Man I loved mass effect this game might be good"
Oh how I was wrongs, the graphics are terrible, the gameplay is more than terrible but the story was OK.
I'm so glad I rented.
Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#370  Edited By Castiel

The Getaway and Brutal Legend.

Like everybody else said. Brutal Legend starts out really strong, I would say that the first two hours are pretty rad, but as soon as they introduce the rpg elements it only goes downhill. It's a shame cause BL could have been such a cool game.

The demo for Getaway was pretty good, plus the screenshots looked amazing. But somehow the actual game just sucked balls. Unlikeable characters, repetitive gameplay and bland environments completely killed my interest. I have never finished the game and I never will. 
Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#371  Edited By Hardgamer
@Castiel said:
" The Getaway and Brutal Legend.

Like everybody else said. Brutal Legend starts out really strong, I would say that the first two hours are pretty rad, but as soon as they introduce the rpg elements it only goes downhill. It's a shame cause BL could have been such a cool game.

The demo for Getaway was pretty good, plus the screenshots looked amazing. But somehow the actual game just sucked balls. Unlikeable characters, repetitive gameplay and bland environments completely killed my interest. I have never finished the game and I never will. 
"
Uh, "Completely killed my interests?"
Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#372  Edited By Castiel
@Hardgamer said:
" @Castiel said:
" The Getaway and Brutal Legend.

"
Uh, "Completely killed my interests?" "
Read again buddy I didn't write that. ;)
Cronson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373  Edited By Cronson

Quest 64! I really thought it might be good!

zerdune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#374  Edited By zerdune
1. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
My most anticipated game. It's just like Deus Ex (greatest game ever) but in present time with vampires! How cool is that?! Sadly after amazing first hour or two it turns into an agonizing dungeon crawl with poor combat and plenty of bugs.
2. Mirror's Edge
Amazing art style and gameplay premise but it's just too frustrating to be much fun.
3. Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon
Broken Sword 1 & 2 are one my favourite adventure games. Sadly their follow up was disappointing. I remember reading interview with Charles Cecil about BS3 before it came out where he claimed it a revolution in adventure games. In the end the game introduced QTEs and box pushing puzzles into the series.
4. Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Changed the gameplay and graphics from previous titles. Did not like.
5. Gray Matter
From the creator of Gabriel Knight games. Just really average and boring. At least the music is on par with GK games.
6. Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
See Munch's Oddysee.
7. No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
Broken stealth system ruined otherwise excellent game.
8. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
Everything worse than in the previous game.
9. The Temple of Elemental Evil: A Classic Greyhawk Adventure
Don't remember this one particularly well. Just that it was from dudes that made Arcanum and it got really boring fast.
10. Brütal Legend
Open world heavy metal hack and slash RTS. Take out the last three letters and you would have gotten game worth playing
11. Fallout 3
Something has always bothered me about Bethesda games. Hard to put my finger on it. Their worlds just feel...lifeless and artificial.
12. Resident Evil 4
I just liked the style of the old games better
13. Final Fantasy X
Hideous voiceacting ruined it for me. Otherwise one of the best JRPGs.
14. Deus Ex: Invisible War
Excellent game. The biggest flaw of the game is the fact that it's a sequel to the Best. Game. Ever. Being excellent just doesn't cut it.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#375  Edited By TheFreeMan

As someone who deeply, deeply enjoyed the first Mercenaries, it's sequel, World in Flames, was so disappointing it hurt. I don't know how they screwed it up so bad. The first is a superior game in nearly every way.

Parkingtigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#376  Edited By Parkingtigers
@Cold_Wolven said:
" @Parkingtigers: The reason why it's hard for me is because I'm up to a mission earlier on in the game where I'm on the ice planet and I have to kill this lady but her minions bumrush me as soon as the cutscene ends. If there was cover I'd take it but there ain't none so I'm left out in the open taking damage. From the things I've heard about ME2 I think I'd rather just skip to that. "
Well I don't know what to say, but honestly it sounds like you are giving up on something that is not particularly difficult.  It's very much a case of "You must be doing it wrong".  I know the instinct is just to jump into cover, turtle up and shoot, but the biotic commandos who are coming at you won't give you the chance.  Attack is your best form of defense.

Look, I remember that fight well, having gone through it on all difficulty levels.  In that first part you have just two or three enemies rushing you.  You have 3 members in your team, and you can just spam all of your powers and make sure that you take down one of them quickly, and probably weaken another.  You should then have time to heal and recharge in time for the second wave.  (And in the second wave you will have time to make it to one of the corners and take a little cover).  Spam powers + rapid fire with all weapons = dead enemies, cover or no cover.

Skipping to the second game would be pointless as they are trying to tell a story here.  Throw away the first part of that story and the second won't have any value at all.  Now get back in there and fight soldier!
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#377  Edited By Wolverine

Gears of War 2 was horrible. What a let down.

Avatar image for newtothegame950
newtothegame950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#378  Edited By newtothegame950

Fallout 3 really dissapointed me. Prince Of Persia (4) the cartoony one, Crysis 2 the multiplayer and Medal Of Honor 2010 :(

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#379  Edited By xplodedd

perfect dark zero

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Spore, Grant Theft Auto IV and Brutal Legends.

Overwatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381  Edited By Overwatch

Bioshock. What a waste of money.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@vdortizo said:

" Legacy of Kain: Defiance. Amy Henning, I expected an ending not a cliffhanger!!! "

Did Defiance have a cliffhanger?  There were a few little unexplained details but not showing what happens to everything after the game doesn't make it a cliff hanger.  The plot of the game, as well as the Blood Omen and Soul Reaver arcs were finished.  Even if there's never a sequel, it was a perfect place to conclude the series.
coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383  Edited By coakroach

Chronicles of Riddick. Just... didn't dig it.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#384  Edited By Christoffer

God of War 3. I'm not saying it was bad but I was expecting so much more, or something different at least. I had to play the second half with some friends just to push through it. When I got bored they took over. But hey, that's what friends are for.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#385  Edited By ajamafalous

Mass Effect 2.

fontainefellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386  Edited By fontainefellow

Haze. Seriously, fuck you Free Radical.

locolukah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387  Edited By locolukah

Metroid: Other M

It is so bad that it ALMOST makes me hate the classic Metroid games...ALMOST ):

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388  Edited By phish09

I'm not saying any of these are bad games, but throughout my life as a gamer, these are the ones that have disappointed me the most.

1. Legend of Zelda 2: Links Adventure  - After how amazing the first one was, and how much it completely changed how I viewed video games back in the late '80's/early '90's, it really sucked to have to fight in these 2D dungeons against notoriously cheap enemies and you're only real reward is that you get to fight in more of these dungeons.

2.  Doom 3 - After playing games like Halo, Half Life 2 and Resident Evil 4...all games which really pushed that Shooter genre to pretty far extremes at the time, I just found Doom 3 to feel like an old corridor shooter and I really expected a lot more from the guys who invented the genre.

3.  Super Mario 64 - Having grown up on the NES and 2D sidescrollers I was expecting to have my mind blown by Mario switching over to a 3D plane.  I found the controls clunky, the camera completely intrusive and just the overall style and artwork seemed like a huge step back from the SNES Mario games (poor textures, and color pallet).  In general I didn't expect great things from the N64, but I figured at least the Mario game has got to be polished to the nines, in turn I was incredibly disappointed.

4. Saints Row 2 - I never played the first one, but people said not to because the second one was going to be so much better, and get this; people actually said that it was a better game than GTAIV.  I don't know why I took their word for it and bought this piece of trash.  I said above that "I'm not saying any of these are bad games", but Saints Row 2 is a bad game.  Horrible graphics, really stupid and repetitive side missions, probably the worst story I've experienced in an open world game like this, boring gun play and terrible controls.  I get that I can skydive with a chicken suit on, but why would I want to in such a horribly structured and horrible looking game. 

5.  Final Fantasy XIII - I've never been a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series.  In fact, outside of VI and VII I've never finished any of the games, but it didn't keep me from being excited for the first "next gen" Final Fantasy game.  All the screenshots looked incredible and Squenix made me believe that they made all these improvements to the voice acting and tried to modernize the story telling a bit and it just felt OLD.  There is no reason they couldn't have made that game on the PS1 aside from the graphics.  It seems to me like Square Enix lives in this little bubble where they don't get to play any games that have come out over the last 5-10 years, so they just keep trying to make a game like FFVII.  FFVII was great when it came out, but no one wants to play that game now, and certainly no one wants to pay $60 to play a more linear version of it with horrible voice acting and a convoluted leveling system.  I could have maybe stood it if they just had text boxes instead, but the first time I heard that high pitched 5-year old japanese girl laugh, I turned it off and took it back. 

Honorable mentions:

Resident Evil 5
Donkey Kong Country 64
Gran Turismo 5
Fable
Silent Hill 3