Most important piece of Giant Bomb content?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

As opposed to "favorite," what are some pieces of GB content (videos, podcasts, articles, etc.) that you find really important? That can be by any metric...industry impact, personally significant, important to the site, etc.

I was inspired to make this thread after seeing one of the Giant Bomb Unplugged: Dungeons and Dragons videos in the "This Day In Giant Bomb History" hopper. The first Unplugged: Pathfinder video they made way back in 2013 (and in particular the glory of V-Bomb) inspired me to finally check out tabletop gaming, after previously writing it off as being way too nerdy even for me. I joined a local D&D group to give it a go and met my partner of going on six years at the first session. I've never managed to convince her to join me down the GB rabbit hole, but I guess nobody's perfect.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Ryans Sonic rant should be taught in schools.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I keep thinking back to that E3 interview Jeff did with Phil Spencer. The one where he asked him what it would take for Xbox games to stop shipping in a broken state. Not only did that gif travel the internet quite a bit, it also felt like Phil gave such a good interview that it immediatly brushed away that awful aftertaste people had from the Don Mattrick days.

I also think the Persona 4 endurance run was quite important in getting people attracted to the site.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebel_scum: Don't think I remember that...do you have a link?

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The episode of the Bombcast the week after Ryan passed. As opposed to pieces of content that have educated people about videogames or the industry, it educated people about a man.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the P4 endurance run. I know it didn't pioneer LPs, but it still feels pretty influential to me.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The North Korea video was transcendent

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@onemanarmyy: Was the answer to this, "With the ability to patch games, the incentive is zero. So, I guess losing the ability to patch games"?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Take your pick of Phil Spencer interviews on the site. I'd also argue the very first Quick Look, as there really wasn't much like it on the Internet at that point.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Fortune Street TNT.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 MattyFTM  Moderator

I know it doesn't count because it's not Giant Bomb content, but Jeff's Kane & Lynch 2 review was pretty important in the history of Giant Bomb.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first Big Live Live Show Live, maybe

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two things came to mind...

Persona 4 endurance run especially episode 50(?) fiasco.

2013 Pax East with that "certified" content.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Anything featuring Ryan Davis.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The bomb logo!

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flushing a cake down a toilet, probably.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, quicklooks kinda revolutionized how the industry functions. For better or worse it signalled the decline in written reviews and previews in favour of unedited takes on videos or podcasts.

The Persona 4 Endurance Run is also super important for helping popularize unedited video lets plays. Before that it was mostly screenshots and forum threads right? Though, I suppose that one has more to do with the increase in video platforms like YouTube and Dailymotion.

snarfoogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Three words: Nacho Cheese Oreos

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Persona 4 for sure.

But, I think an argument can be made that 'Game Tapes' and 'Demo Derby' because nobody else is doing that. A stream of a whole game is common. We could just Google any game, and a "Lets Play" woudl pop-up. However, Game Tapes and Demo Derby like "Mystery Science Theater 3000" are something few -if any- are doing.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thesquarepear

To the general history of video games I think some of Patrick's scoops like this one were super important.

For me personally it was the Random Phantasmagoria stream. It might have been faked but the moment Dave and Vinny convince each other to finish the game in one stream it felt like one of those perfect storms of GB spontaneousness (is that a word?).

For all of the shit GB gives E3 they had some of their best streams there like the year LA Kings won the Stanley cup 2014. And god bless Johnny V for screwing over Dave Lang.

Finally also not strictly Giant Bomb content but Jeff's Mixlr streams from driving somewhere listening to weird radio and commenting on it was hilarious and almost too far into the meta "content with commentary"-verse that we've grown so used to.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the staff's mandate of the "don't be a dick/jerk" general rule and the moderation team's efforts to enforce that mandate in order to create a tolerable online gaming community is often overlooked as one of the big reasons for the site's success.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

p4 Endurance run is probably historic for games coverage as it is today.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Big Live Live Show Live when Brad finally beat the Mile High Achievement. Not only is it a favorite, but I also think it's important. A lot of GB's extended family was their, it was effectively a sell for what the Breaking Brad feature winds up being, and I think it helps sell Premium from that regard. But more than that, it's probably the most harrowing piece of content on the site, so I say it's important.

Obviously most of the E3 talks with good industry heads like Spencer and Boon and what have you are all fantastic and important content as well. If anything they help show how the industry has changed and evolved over the years, and give good insight into people who are at the forefront of that industry as it's going through all these things.

From a personal bias perspective I also think that Contradiction Spot the Liar is a good piece of important content. A lot of people I think don't really get the love the site has for adventure/FMV games, and I think that feature alone can sell you on the concept entirely.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

The Matrix Online shut down stream.