#1  Edited By KingdomCome

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By falserelic

I go with GB. There reviews are explosive.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By YI_Orange

Whoever gives the worst scores to good games because that means they're being honest. Everyone else just gets payed off.(I don't see this thread going well)

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By JoeyRavn

IGN, of course.

No, wait. No.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By connerthekewlkid

theres no real most trustworthy site all their scores are just their opinion

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi

Me. I take all reviews with a grain of salt. In the end my opinion is the only one I care about when buying games.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@JoeyRavn: i dont really see why people think IGN is biased

KingdomCome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KingdomCome

@YI_Orange said:

Whoever gives the worst scores to good games because that means they're being honest. Everyone else just gets payed off.(I don't see this thread going well)

That's a flawed logic, what about hit-seeking site's purposely scoring fantastic games demeaning scores as a means of attracting more attention towards themselves?

toolzz360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#9  Edited By toolzz360

giantbomb for sure, but I prefer to read user reviews that others post here on giantbomb

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#10  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Giant Bomb was essentially founded because of journalistic integrity, so that's what I'm going with. But to be completely fair, Gamespot's been killing it over the last year or so with good, honest reviews. Although I disagree with them frequently on games like Rainbow Moon, I certainly can't fault their logic.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By psylah
McGrittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McGrittles

Obviously Destructoid, only site that gave Deadly Premennition the score it deserved.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Benny

It's subjective, you need to find a reviewer whose tastes align with yours. That's why Giant Bomb is personality driven.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By mtcantor

Giant Bomb. Duh.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By AlexW00d

RPS write the only reviews I trust.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AssInAss

Trustworthy, really? Reviews aren't news, unless if reviews are peddling lies, why should reviews of a certain site be considered trustworthy? They're just a duder's opinion.

Maybe a site or writer's opinion or conformation biases lies most closely to yours, but eventually their opinion will be different than yours. Do you want a bunch of yes men reviews?

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would we be here if we voted IGN? lol

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kgb0515

I like the way the Giant Bomb staff breaks down games. They do a good job of explaining their opinions instead of frothing over titles they like. I used to like IGN, but so much of their stuff reads like an advertisement anymore that I can't stomach it. I'm not saying IGN is paid to write favorable reviews, but sometimes I imagine that I'm reading the reviews in the voice of former Xbox Live personality, Larry Herb. Way too enthusiastic.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I'd go with Polygon.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@wewantsthering: people dont have to like the reviews here to be on the forums

DirtyEagles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DirtyEagles
Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lukeweizer

I don't even read reviews. I just listen to their opinions on stuff on the Bombcast.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By algertman

I think it's hilarious you put Destructoid up there.

I actually think Quicklooks are far better than any game review.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By YI_Orange

@KingdomCome said:

@YI_Orange said:

That's a flawed logic, what about hit-seeking site's purposely scoring fantastic games demeaning scores as a means of attracting more attention towards themselves?

Only scumbag corporations care more about hits than integrity, and they're getting payed by all the big games so they have to give them good scores. They only give low scores to games they didn't get payed to say good things about, and then it's not for traffic, it's to send a message to those cheapass idealists who think quality matters more than money. (By the way, I was not, and still am not, being serious)

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vexxan

Giant Bomb is the only site where I read reviews so...

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Crixaliz

@Benny said:

It's subjective, you need to find a reviewer whose tastes align with yours. That's why Giant Bomb is personality driven.

I totally agree with this.

I like GB, but in-terms of reviews I feel only Jeff's reviews apply to me.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@YI_Orange: but you did summarize what people here think of "mainstream video game sites" :/

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NegativeCero

Make my own decision based on other players. If not, look at a good review and a bad review for a game, then make a decision.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ShadyPingu

There isn't a single game site I frequent that has a consistent editorial voice across all its reviewers, as should be expected, so the most I can say is that I identify with a few specific reviewers, not websites.

As far as Giant Bomb goes, the only reviewer who I would let inform my opinion about a game is Ryan.

KingdomCome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KingdomCome

I perceive GiantBomb's reviews to be incredibly unique, in that they are more personal and less restricted by boundaries than other, more convoluted reviewers such as IGN, of whom are consistently contradicting their own marking scheme (Scoring criticised games perfect score for example). Whilst other reviewers are devoid of personality, such is not the case for GiantBomb, who, rather than assessing every aspect of a game by the reviewers guide, instead provide what they consider to be important components, what frustrates them and what they love. My only criticism is that I find Giant Bomb reviewers such as Jeff to be incredibly inconsistent, scoring some majorly flawed games such as the recently released "Syndicate" a perfect score, and then heavily scoring down a title based upon a few minor flaws...

My vote goes for EDGE, sure, they can be overly critical on numerous occasions, but they're hugely consistent and due to their critical nature, it takes great determination, originality and effort to retrieve a glowing reception from their reviewing staff...

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@KingdomCome: the only games theve given 10s to were ones that there wasn't a single complaint in the review

and giant bomb also gives perfect scores to games they criticize (see syndicate) but your forgetting its in the reviewers opinion if the games flaws are so little to distract from what is otherwise a great experience

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Klei

Gamespot has some of the best reviewers in the business. Especially Kevin Van Ord. I also really like Gametrailers. I used to say Giantbomb, but nowadays, they don't do much except sit down on their laurels and make quick-looks. There's a handful of reviews there and there, but most often than not, they seem like impressions more than a full-on reviews. I absolutely dislike IGN's clinical reviews, there's always something fishy about their scores, but I like their ''day-one'' video reviews. I initially came here to follow Jeff, Ryan and Brad, but to be honest, I don't care much for their reviews now.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DeF

@Benny said:

It's subjective, you need to find a reviewer whose tastes align with yours.

This.

No review site is particularly "trustworthy" in terms of scores. If you like a genre and have a high tolerance for technical hiccups, you will probably disagree with many opinions that other people swear by.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By mosespippy

I barely ever read reviews but when I do it's the review from Killscreen.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jimbo

The ones which aren't being funded by the same companies they're reviewing.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Joeyoe31

I am the only one who can know what I like.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By JJOR64

GIANT BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMB

For me I usually just judge a game myself. Jeff said New Super Mario Bros. 2 is kinda boring. Personally, I'm really enjoying it myself.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Phatmac

How could you not put in Polygon in that poll? I usually trust Gameinformer for most of my reviews and Giantbomb. I also rarely care about reviews. I'd rather try it myself.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bell_End

I stopped paying any attention to any reviews a few year back now and just buy what I like the look of. And to date my gamedar has not put a foot wrong. The whole review score thing just comes across as arbitrary to me.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JoeyRavn

@connerthekewlkid said:

@JoeyRavn: i dont really see why people think IGN is biased

I don't think they are "biased", I just don't like their reviews and their approach to reviewing. I can't debate the objective aspects they may raise (technical problems, features of a game, etc.), but I often find that many of the subjective aspects they touch upon are either wrong or shouldn't be included in the review.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By BraveToaster

@connerthekewlkid said:

theres no real most trustworthy site all their scores are just their opinion

This

/thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid: I wasn't saying they have to. I'm saying that no duh people will favor GB reviews on a poll on the GB website. It's just a silly question.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By Jeust

Gametrailers for general reviews, and RPG Fan for rpgs.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ch3burashka

What does "trustworthy" mean? You're an asshole for insinuating that any of those websites are somehow compromised. This was and is a fucking ridiculous accusation. GAMES ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By GeekDown

Giant Bomb obviously. But I also look at GameInformer and sometimes Joystiq. If I don't know who the reviewer is I'm a bit more critical towards it.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Revan_NL

Giantbomb. And by thrustworthy I mean that I trust that every reviewer gives his honost opinion, regardless if I agree with that opinion or not

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fattony12000
No Caption Provided
BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BonOrbitz

I find the most trustworthy video game reviewers don't lie with a particular website, but different sites' personalities whose opinions consistently have matched my own in the past. Adam Sessler, Brad Shoemaker, Ryan Davis, Jeff Cannata, Jeremy Parish, and (occasionally) Garnett Lee.

KingdomCome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KingdomCome
No Caption Provided

@YI_Orange said:

@KingdomCome said:

@YI_Orange said:

Only scumbag corporations care more about hits than integrity, and they're getting payed by all the big games so they have to give them good scores. They only give low scores to games they didn't get payed to say good things about, and then it's not for traffic, it's to send a message to those cheapass idealists who think quality matters more than money. (By the way, I was not, and still am not, being serious)

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By ProfessorEss
@Jimbo said:

The ones which aren't being funded by the same companies they're reviewing.

I can only assume you voted "O" then? 

Sadly I think they have all grown somewhat out of touch with the reality that is videogame reviewing. I don't mean any disrespect to them, I blame the community more than anything. The day the videogaming community accepted the notion that all reviews are totally subjective and that any degree of objectivity is completely impossible is the day the professional videogame review died for me. Seems these days all we do is pick our favourite "celebrity" and deem them to have "the most integrity" despite having no real evidence to back it up.

I still enjoy reading them, occasionally gain a little insight from them, and get a warm fuzzy feeling when a game I like gets a good score but I don't really look at them as "information". 

Frankly if you're looking for a score, and science would be totally on my side here, Metacritic would be the only thing with any degree of accuracy "number-wise".