• 79 results
xnoxiousx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xnoxiousx

"I think we need to invest in this space," he told CVG. "Windows is an important space for us so we need to invest our first-party IP in it as much as anybody else. We cant really ask other companies to step up if the first party isn't stepping up."

On why Microsoft's appeared to snub the PC for the last few years, Luehmann said it was an issue of "focus".

"I think it was a focus thing. We started to focus on one area and now we're saying let's start to spread that focus.

"I think the whole company has been focused on console work for a long time and it's time for us to come back and bring one of our best IPs [Age of Empires] back and to a market that can really use it," he said.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=260220

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'll belive it when I see it. I don't trust microsoft, they have abandoned the pc platform for years now and giving us the drm they call games for windows live.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PeasantAbuse

That didn't make me want to invest in a decent PC...
xnoxiousx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xnoxiousx
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

I'll belive it when I see it. I don't trust microsoft, they have abandoned the pc platform for years now and giving us the drm they call games for windows live.

"
They already announced new age of empires 

and are bring fable 3 to pc and soon they will bring all exclusives to pc they have not do what they been doing last 2 years.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By No0b0rAmA

I think they're trying to get into the free to play bandwagon, and in fact don't give a shit about the rest of PC gaming. I don't think Microsoft has the will to pull away from their precious 360. I'll stick with Valve for my PC gaming needs.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Marcsman

IGN always claimed that the X Box would one day be a symbol in Windows. 
Now I wonder.................................
Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ah, "focus" must mean they were making a shit ton of money off Xbox360 and weren't willing to give pc gamers any attention whatsoever. I fear too little too late MS, Valve has you by the balls.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CaptainObvious

Meh, Blizzard's got my back when it comes to PC gaming.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@xnoxiousx: Well I hope they bring back gears of war 2 and alan wake. I'm still skeptical about their focus, pc gamers felt totally abandoned.  

I mean good for them, they think it's pc focused when they give us one game, i'll be less skeptical when they give us more.
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By jasta

About time, whether it actually happens or not is a different matter completley.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
They'll have to, as to counteract Mac and Linux. If Mac and or Linux start betting on more mainstream games, Windows could easily lose a great percentage of the market. 
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By jkz
@Jasta said:
" About time, whether it actually happens or not is a different matter completley. "
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Diamond

Xbox Live for Windows 2!

In terms of bringing back the hardcore PC gamers, I don't know.  The new Age of Empires and MS "Flight" seem to be taking a more casual focus.  Which is where the money is anyways, so yea, they'll be successful.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Three0neFive

Could have fooled me.

:/

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Malakhii

Windows 7 is very successful already, a great way to push it even further is to make great games for it. They'd only be helping themselves. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

I think they mean "It's time we catered to Zynga's market!

Avatar image for mercurycrusader
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MercuryCrusader

I'd love new PC games, but PC gaming is dead. You can thank horrible DRM and an internet full of teenagers that advocate piracy for that.  Thanks, internet.

eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#18  Edited By eliminator

Are PC gamers ready to invest in PC games?
9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 9cupsoftea

I came upon the realisation this week that most games I've enjoyed on the xbox I could have bought on pc for cheaper, with free online, and often with mods. So I like this news.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@No0b0rAmA said:

" I think they're trying to get into the free to play bandwagon, and in fact don't give a shit about the rest of PC gaming. I don't think Microsoft has the will to pull away from their precious 360. I'll stick with Valve for my PC gaming needs. "

In the near future I can see the free to play model eventually making it's way to consoles. I can't wait for the day they start charging you fifty cents to save your game, three dollars to unlock the next level. Oh you want a map? Five bucks bitch. Once the publishers figure it out that they could probably charge us for just about anything, things are going to go quickly downhill for me. I'm afraid of the future of gaming to be honest.
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ryax
@xnoxiousx: they have not do what they been ding? jesus...
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By AndrewB

I don't think the PC market needs Microsoft's support anyway. Steam was already mentioned here, and that's an online service and marketplace implemented the right way. I don't think bringing back Age of Empires in the form they are is going to be any sort of revolution, especially since they shattered the development team responsible for the good parts of that series. Even Microsoft's DirectX platform isn't necessary when pitted against an open, cross-platform solution like OpenGL. They continue to snub any sort of real gaming integration into the Windows OS (where's that dedicated gaming mode from Longhorn? Why is the crummy games explorer so useless at finding my installed games and information about them? Why are my saved game saved across 5 separate locations? Shouldn't MS be enforcing a standard?). I can't say that I care if Microsoft continues to ignore PC gaming.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@wolf_blitzer85:
I say we go to their offices and line those fuckers up against a wall! We need a revolution!
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fuzzyponken
@Jeust said:
" @HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
They'll have to, as to counteract Mac and Linux. If Mac and or Linux start betting on more mainstream games, Windows could easily lose a great percentage of the market.  "
Haha, what?
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@No0b0rAmA said:
" @wolf_blitzer85: I say we go to their offices and line those fuckers up against a wall! We need a revolution! "
Gotta make an example out of someone.
InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By InTheEnd
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"
Yeah, they're begging to sound like Apple. "Oh yeah, we'll put more focus in gaming this time!" says Steve Jobs. A year after either nothing's been done or that focus was invested in shitty iPod and iPhone "games." 
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jeust
@fuzzyponken said:

" @Jeust said:

" @HitmanAgent47 said:

"

"
They'll have to, as to counteract Mac and Linux. If Mac and or Linux start betting on more mainstream games, Windows could easily lose a great percentage of the market.  "
Haha, what? "
People use Microsoft because of its easy to use interface, software, habits and availability, still Mac isn't that far behind Windows in interface and software, having a better offer in some segments of software, and now with Steam running on Mac, it is biting their heels.   

Linux is freeware, and market to some ventures. So Microsoft has to work their magic, because competitors aren't going to lay still.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Jeust: 
I don't think the Mac audience is the audience that plays PC games. I see Microsoft retaining market share superiority for the next 10 years.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iam3green

it just means they are going to release crappy games to windows. i think they are already beaten with valve and blizzard. there hasn't been great games that have been released in a while. starcraft 2 has been the only great game that has been released in a while.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jeust
@No0b0rAmA said:
" @Jeust:  I don't think the Mac audience is the audience that plays PC games. I see Microsoft retaining market share superiority for the next 10 years. "
Yep, still a shift in Microsoft's market and profits can have major repercussions.  
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gizmo

I really don't want to play Age Of Empires, Microsoft.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ryanwho

Maybe Im being cryptic, but I read into this "we're going to try something like OnLive in a couple years and want to build up a PC library". 
Anyhow, I'd love a new Age of Mythology game.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By JoelTGM

What do they mean?  So they can put out games that require the clunky awful Windows Live thing to run?  I hate that thing so much, and I'll actually avoid playing some games just because of it

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By scarace360

Microsoft can suck a dick leave it to steam.

Avatar image for mercurycrusader
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MercuryCrusader
@Jeust:  People haven't bought Macs for games since the 1980s, and only three people use Linux, so I guess we don't have to worry about a market shift in gaming!
XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By XxBarretxX

This after MS refused to aknowledged ME as a PC game

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jeust
@MercuryCrusader said:

" @Jeust:  People haven't bought Macs for games since the 1980s, and only three people use Linux, so I guess we don't have to worry about a market shift in gaming! "

More than three people use mac, and if Apple broadens their game service to include the Mac, and not only the Iphone, Ipod, and Ipad, there can be some shift in the disposition of the market. Never say never. Things can change in a matter of years. 
BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

i just want to see more PC exclusives 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HitmanAgent47
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jeust
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

It's funny how ppl are talking about macs taking over, that's hilarious, they only own 5% of the market, so don't worry. If there are 20 mac users here, there are probally thousands of pc users on this forum. Microsoft owns 91% as usual.

proof

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8     "
But that's not the important thing. What matters is profit, and if they for any unfortunate event suffer, Microsoft will face some degree of flak.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jkz

Don't get ridiculous guys. No matter what you think, Macs are still far too cost prohibitive for an enormous percentage of the casual market to get into, and developers are always going to develop for the largest possible audience. 

This is entirely discounting the corporate level, which is still almost entirely Windows-based; but the corporate user base has no impact on gaming, so that's unimportant.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Jeust: This is what I see for the battle against the fascist state of Apple. On the Computer front, Windows will completely overpower Apple thanks to Direct X and more open hardware/software. On the phones, I see Android overtaking Apple near completely, thanks to the platform's licensing to many different manufacturers, which may lead to new ideas on phones. Tablet computing wise, give it 18 months, and Android/Windows tablets will completely take over the market to turn it into basically the same as the current OS market. And with open licensing and different hardware, Android/Windows tablets will sell more and dominate the market, which would make developers jump for them.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jeust
@No0b0rAmA:  

Hummm the Ipod and Iphone are still some of the best selling platforms, and I don't think Apple will lay down and die. They are fairing very well. So let's see. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ryanwho

If you own a macbook and know anything about gaming, you already used bootcamp to partition your drive with Windows XP. Its kind of a none-issue, whether a mac version exists. You can play the PC version on the macbook.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@ryanwho: Your still using windows for bootcamp for games, so your using windows. Having a sleek exterior doesn't mean that it's not made from pc components. What makes a mac, a mac is the operating system. So really since everyone uses bootcamp, they are in a way supporting windows because you can't play games on macs without steam support. That 5% of mac owners and the few that are using their macs to play pc games are using windows on their macbook to play these games. Which in conclusion, makes the osx and macs irrelvent for any sort of impact on the gaming industry.  

iphone can only eat into the psp market or DS, not pc. 

I'm sure microsoft doesn't like how valve lets mac users play pc games, they probally do have that on their mind, however with such a low user base, it's not going to impact anything on any level. However if their worry that others are eating into their profits, even if it's like 1%, at least it made microsoft give the pc platform just a bit more support. Then again until I see it, I won't belive it.
karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By karneh

Great. Now MS is going to make the PC suck.

Zing!

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Jeust: Ah, worry not Comrade Jeust! We shall have certain victory against the Apple pigs! Our Comrades at HTC and Google shall win the war using the next generation of Android phones with the 3.0 Android version "Gingerbread"! We will burn Cupertino, California to the ground! Victory over fascist Steve Jobs!
 I will end my anti-Apple propaganda there.  I guess in terms of the Ipod, there really is no actually competition against Apple. That might be where they succeed, with the music players.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jkz
@Jeust said:
" @No0b0rAmA:   Hummm the Ipod and Iphone are still some of the best selling platforms, and I don't think Apple will lay down and die. They are fairing very well. So let's see.  "
Well Android has overtaken them in monthly sales. It's not surprising, of course, but Android is going to eventually have a far greater marketshare solely because there's so many hardware-makers looking to license an OS for their new phone.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jeust
@No0b0rAmA said:
" @Jeust: Ah, worry not Comrade Jeust! We shall have certain victory against the Apple pigs! Our Comrades at HTC and Google shall win the war using the next generation of Android phones with the 3.0 Android version "Gingerbread"! We will burn Cupertino, California to the ground! Victory over fascist Steve Jobs!  I will end my anti-Apple propaganda there.  I guess in terms of the Ipod, there really is no actually competition against Apple. That might be where they succeed, with the music players. "
@jukezypoo said:
" @Jeust said:
" @No0b0rAmA:   Hummm the Ipod and Iphone are still some of the best selling platforms, and I don't think Apple will lay down and die. They are fairing very well. So let's see.  "
Well Android has overtaken them in monthly sales. It's not surprising, of course, but Android is going to eventually have a far greater marketshare solely because there's so many hardware-makers looking to license an OS for their new phone. "
Yep, that shows how the market is always changing and fluctuating. Nothing is certain for very long. That's why i think Microsoft is betting on Games for Windows. Not forgetting Steam, Blizzard, with their own gaming services. There is competition in every market.