#1  Edited By UltraSoda
iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By iceman228433

My internet never goes down so I don't really care all that much. On a good note it means I won't need that dam disc in the system to play a game anymore.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My internet is terrible, unless I get Google fiber here, having always on is an absolute deal breaker.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

My internet goes down all the time and I'm in the UK.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

I won't actually believe this until it's been confirmed by several different sources, and if it is confirmed then you can bet your bottom dollar that I will not be buying the next Xbox.

Meanwhile, your Neogaf link seems broken.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My internet sometimes goes down. If the next Xbox is always online they are committing suicide. They can't be that stupid. Not everyone has reliable internet connections that work 100% of the time. Most people don't.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

The twitter guy more or less just rants and is an idiot for the entire thing.The dude makes himself seem like a massive douche bag telling people to "Get with the times and get internet"

@believer258 said:

I won't actually believe this until it's been confirmed by several different sources, and if it is confirmed then you can bet your bottom dollar that I will not be buying the next Xbox.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534951

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, just read that tweets from that dude. He can't be serious. How is MS still allowing his twitter account to exist?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

The twitter guy more or less just rants and is an idiot for the entire thing.The dude makes himself seem like a massive douche bag telling people to "Get with the times and get internet"

@believer258 said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534951

I copied and pasted it and it worked fine, but the link itself just gave me an about:blank page.

Anyway, I can easily see MS either reversing this pretty soon or just plain not selling many Xboxes when average Joe comes home and finds out that he can't play Fallout 4 due to his Xbox not being online at the moment or the Xbox servers being down or his wife is hogging all of the internet with cheesy romantic comedies on Netflix or any other internet fuck-up that happen to be going on.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The guy he was tweeting to clarified on twitter that the two are friends and were just talking yang to one another. Looks like another case of "dumbass, you forgot everyone can see the shit you post on the internet."

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

The guy he was tweeting to clarified on twitter that the two are friends and were just talking yang to one another. Looks like another case of "dumbass, you forgot everyone can see the shit you post on the internet."

I think that's called damage control. He tweets clearly claimed that the next Xbox is going to be always online. I don't think anyone cares about the city remarks.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

No Caption Provided

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ORthy just said he was trolling that other guy personnely.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

My internet never goes down so I don't really care all that much. On a good note it means I won't need that dam disc in the system to play a game anymore.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

EA shuts off the 'servers' for their games sometimes after 18 months. That's for multiplayer but in an always on-line environment, that will mean your entire game goes in the bin.

No Caption Provided

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

Folks here that believe that this was just an inside joke between friends are getting fooled. There is a truth in a joke like this. Surprised by this guys attitude honestly.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I think rumors are coming to a point that it would be surprising if the Durango is not an always online device.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By djou

This is the kind of hubris that lead to Sony taking a bath with the PS3. Why do video game makers and companies forget they should be making things that gamers want to buy? Not telling them they should like being fleeced. Screw this guy.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Oh boy, dude might be out of a job if this comes out as truth.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djou said:

This is the kind of hubris that lead to Sony taking a bath with the PS3.

Yeah... Kinda reminds me of Kutaragi's "get a second job if you can't afford it" comment.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By viking_funeral

There's truth in humor, but yeah, this seemed like a couple friends having fun with each other. God help if any of the stupid stuff I post on Facebook ever got out... or if anyone actually cared.

That said, my internet hiccups all the time, and always online is an instant deal breaker for me.

Also, I can't see this being an official thing on the next Xbox. I can't remember the exact percentage, but it was said that something like 30-40% of Xbox 360 owners in the States never bring their consoles online. That'd be a large market to shut out. Not all of them would make the leap.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it turns out to be always online, I'm not buying it, simple as that.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

'Get with the times' is a stupid thing for anyone to say.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mrfluke

what an elitist prick.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Cool we'll that is yet another point in Sony's camp and yet another miss for Microsoft. I think my mind is pretty set on PS4 right now unless whatever Xbox has is so fucking crazy that its worth all this hassle which...we'll see.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The tweet about "Who would live there?" is what really set me off.

Fuck me for living in a place where I want to live, am I right?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

the PS4 is looking better everyday.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man... this dude is going to get fired.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

holy crap they're really going to try it? it's suicide. unless it really is just a digital rental box.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this summer is looking like a great time to build a tiny PC to use as a game console. I have fiber optic internet but even my internet goes down from time to time. That should never impede me from playing games.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By villainy

I never understand comments like this. If the provider's network (or any hop along the way) fails or gets nailed with a DDoS and you can't reach it... Then it really doesn't matter if your internet is up or not.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He either lost his temper or is just stupid. I can't believe a guy who people will associate with Microsoft would go on such a rant.

autumn_thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@msavo said:

He is the creative director of Microsoft Studios. He's not going to get fired.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was totally with Phil Fish until he said "count your priveleges" ugh.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

Yeah, who would live in Blacksburg. Oh wait, it's a college town with about 25000 students, pretty much the target demographic for a new console? And it's mostly an engineering school? Well crap.

Seriously, if this is the attitude of the developers, you can see why Microsoft is going to shit with the new Xbox so far. Crazy hubris and completely misreading what customers actually want or what they'll tolerate. They really think people hating the idea of always on consoles are some ridiculous minority.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Here's the thing the proponents of always online are completely overlooking:

The guy in those tweets and others that don't seem to be put off by always online love to come back the whole "we're in a connected world, every device is better with an online service, the future is on the internet" argument. I agree with all of that, but none of these excuses justify requiring an internet connection.

My PC is always connected to the internet, my PS3 and 360 are always connected to the internet, and nearly everything I do an ipad involves the internet. However, if I find myself for some reason without an internet connection, all these of devices still function. During all of these shitty blizzards this past winter, I got a lot of use of my (wifi only) ipad when the power went out and obviously did not have internet access.

All the talk about improving online services and creating a connected entertainment device are excellent goals, but it's all bullshit PR spin to hide the real reason Microsoft would implement an always online requirement: control. All the supposed benefits of always online can be achieved without making it mandatory, but then Microsoft wouldn't have the control over how the consumers use their product that they obviously want.

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always online is becoming a non-issue for most people, myself included. Microsoft is skewing this console to be more of a media consumption device if the rumours are to be believed, and if you don't have an internet connection, you're clearly not the type of customer they're catering for.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kinapuff said:

Always online is becoming a non-issue for most people, myself included. Microsoft is skewing this console to be more of a media consumption device if the rumours are to be believed, and if you don't have an internet connection, you're clearly not the type of customer they're catering for.

None of that justifies making it mandatory, however.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RE_Player1

@autumn_thunder said:
@msavo said:

He is the creative director of Microsoft Studios. He's not going to get fired.

Probably not but he'll get an extreme talking to. This has blown up. Story is on Kotaku and other sites as well as the front page of Reddit.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kpaadet

I love how anything dumb can always be excused with "ohh hey I was just trolling you guys", well maybe a high executive shouldn't fall to the level of sad forum dwellers, or atleast keep it private.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By McGhee

I appreciate how Sony finally seems to be learning from their mistakes and is fixing them. While it seems that Microsoft may be about to fuck themselves. This is going to be an interesting year in gaming.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im glad this is causing such a big noise on the internet, microsoft would be fucking stupid now to not listen to the noise and make changes.

but rumor has it that the durango event got pushed back to may, so maybe they are making changes.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LiquidPrince

Seems like Microsoft really wants to lose this generation to Sony.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@mrfluke said:

im glad this is causing such a big noise on the internet, microsoft would be fucking stupid now to not listen to the noise and make changes.

but rumor has it that the durango event got pushed back to may, so maybe they are making changes.

Part of me thinks that maybe the rumors are complete bullshit, but Microsoft is intentionally leaking all this stuff about always online just so they can get up at their press conference and say "Despite what you've heard, our new console will NOT require an internet connection to play games" so they get a huge round of applause and instant good will from fans for basically nothing.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft wouldn't be that dumb to actually go through with this right? Not with all this noise in the Internet.

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

@kinapuff said:

None of that justifies making it mandatory, however.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way implying that it IS necessary for the services and games that they offer. Anyone claiming that is ridiculous, much like the dude on twitter making an ass of himself. Personally, I have no interest for the Nextbox regardless of online capabilities.

Sony is definitely earning themselves some points by not making it mandatory, as far as I've heard.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TruthTellah

So one day they'll shutdown the servers and the console won't be able to play anything... The future!

I can understand believing in "always online", but he doesn't have to be a smartass about it.

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MeganeAgain

I've had enough of "always online" DRM with Diablo III, so I'd rather not see this kind of thing become more commonplace. I cannot picture any benefits to always needing to be online. It's just annoying.

Anyway, what a nasty attitude to have.