Multiple Sources confirm new Nintendo Console!

• 162 results
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By melcene

Game Informer has heard from multiple sources that Nintendo will be revealing a new HD console at this year's E3.

We have confirmed with multiple sources that this new home system is capable of running games at HD resolutions. There are conflicting reports, however, as to whether its graphics will be comparable to those on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 – meaning it could surpass or fall short of those systems. Either way it will offer competitive specifications. Moving to HD should greatly help Nintendo and its new console in getting more multi-platform triple-A titles like Portal 2 or Mortal Kombat. This, in turn, will strengthen Nintendo's historically poor relationship with third-party publishers/developers.

Original article here.

With the Sony and Microsoft both indicating that they have no intention of coming out with another console anytime soon, this means that Nintendo will have put out two consoles during this generation.  With their first console, they had stomped the competition into the ground on sales - much of that due to the low price of the Wii compared to the initial prices of the 360 and PS3.

However, today, many Wii's collect dust.  Will Nintendo have the staying power for people to put in the money for another of their consoles within this same generation?  How well do they expect to do in the market, even with HD titles, when most people, at the moment, own the titles they want for the systems they want?

Time can only tell.
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kjellm87

There is also the rumor that the Wii price drop to 150 dollar in May.
I dunno what to the think of this...

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By beej

I'd be willing to bet that Nintendo will still probably make money on this, they've proven themselves to be pretty adept at doing so. 

Kratos919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Kratos919

nice..i just hope that this console will be the opposite of Wii..also a new Sega console would be kinda nice ;)

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By McGhee

Make it HD and give it a real goddamn controller, and maybe I'll be able to buy a Nintendo console again.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel
@beej said:
" I'd be willing to bet that Nintendo will still probably make money on this, they've proven themselves to be pretty adept at doing so.  "
Unlike Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo doesn't have any other major divisions that can soak up losses on game hardware.  Video games are what they do.  It would be foolish of them to sell hardware at a loss.
Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Akrid

Huh. Didn't really expect that.

I think it's a good move though.
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Marcsman
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
"Make it HD and give it a real goddamn controller, and maybe I'll be able to buy a Nintendo console again. "

What he said
Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vexed

But will it have waggle?

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OmegaChosen

Good for them. Probably won't get it though. My brother had the Wii and after multiple months of it just sitting there he finally sold it last month. I barely touched the thing myself, only to play Paper Mario from the WiiShop channel thing and that was ages ago. My 360 and PS3 will more than suffice for me personally.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mikemcn

Im just excited to find out what it's named. Better not be Wii 2.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hailinel
@Mikemcn said:
" Im just excited to find out what it's named. Better not be Wii 2. "
3DWii
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#13  Edited By Icemael
@Hailinel said:
" @Mikemcn said:
3DWii "
Super Wii
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Karl_Boss

@Hailinel:
Doesn't mean they can't fail though.

Virtual Boy!
Virtual Boy!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By mikemcn
@Icemael said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @Mikemcn said:
3DWii "
Super Wii "
Wii Squared
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kjellm87

Well, at least it would give 3rd parties no excuse, Nintendo have done their part with software this gen  but they needed more support.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blueduck
@Kjellm87 said:
" Well, at least it would give 3rd parties no excuse, Nintendo have done their part with software this gen  but they needed more support. "
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mwng

It best still support GameCube controllers...

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Daveyo520

It is too early to start new consoles, I just got my 360 ;_;

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By beej
@Hailinel: I was speaking about a new console as an overall proposition, not just on sales of hardware. 
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kjellm87
@blueduck said:
" @Kjellm87 said:
" Well, at least it would give 3rd parties no excuse, Nintendo have done their part with software this gen  but they needed more support. "
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA "
Don't think it is much wrong with saying that, many of the first-party games received good scores, heck Galaxy is almost at the top of the ranking list.
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By neoepoch

If people think that third parties are going to flock to this like they did with the other consoles (only to get burned hard) they are sorely mistaken. It won't be a wave/flood it'll be a trickle at first to even see if people would want their games in the first place and if not...then they stop.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Brake

The Game Informer article speculates that this could help Nintendo's relationship with 3rd parties and "bring games like Portal 2 and Mortal Kombat to the system". I wonder how they would differentiate themselves from the other two then? I mean obviously they still have the Nintendo exclusives, but I feel like that isn't gonna cut it. Also, interesting to see what kind of online capabiliteis this thing is gonna have.

Yeah, this year's E3 just got interesting as fuck.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hailinel
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
"

@Hailinel:
Doesn't mean they can't fail though.

Virtual Boy!
Virtual Boy!

"
True, but critics claimed that both the DS and Wii would be Virtual Boy-style failures prior to their launches and were proven wrong both times.  And the Virtual Boy was just such a unique failure in and of itself that few game hardware companies could pull it off, even if they tried.
moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By moelarrycurly

I just want to play Zelda with modern graphics (a la Uncharted) and I'll be happy.  Shiggy, make it happen.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i respect Nintendo and their history, but i dont see how they have anything more to offer.. the same old tired fun-based franchises must have gone dead stale by now

an HD Wii. yeah very interesting >_>
imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By imsh_pl

OhgodohgodohgodOHGOD

SO PUMPED FOR THIS

It's gonna be my first stationary console announcment since I've started to really get into the gaming business.

Will it be called the Wii2? Wii HD? Or just a completely new name?

Will it only have more power? Or maybe show a completely new way to interact with games that will turn the industry as we know it upside down? Maybe mind control? Voice recognition? Custom UI commands?

Will it have a completely new online network? Steam integration?

And more importantly:

Will it blend???

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RE_Player1

I haven't touched my Wii in 2 years so if it's just a Wii type system with HD graphics I'm not excited. I'm not going to buy it, or any console for that matter, day 1 as the launch lineup will be shit and problems could arise. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy

Please Nintendo. You are the only one who can deliver the games I truly need. Make a console with an actual controller and my name is red.

Totally loving the negativity in this thread. I feel like it's 2005 all over again.

@Ahmad_Metallic: You're honestly saying you wouldn't want to see Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc with better than PS3/360 graphics?

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FreakAche
@blueduck said:
" @Kjellm87 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA "
Hahahahahahaha? What's so funny?
Avatar image for starfishhunter9
Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Starfishhunter9

2 consoles in a generation? Wouldn't this count as next gen? Sure microsoft and sony might not follow for 3 or 4 years but it's been 5 years since the release of the ps3 (The last this gen console)

Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vexed

It already feels redundant owning two HD consoles, I certainly don't need a third.  Even if I was tempted to buy an HD Wii, why would I buy 3rd party multiplatform games like Mortal Kombat for it?

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By imsh_pl
@Starfishhunter9 said:

" 2 consoles in a generation? Wouldn't this count as next gen? Sure microsoft and sony might not follow for 3 or 4 years but it's been 5 years since the release of the ps3 (The last this gen console) "

If it's announced it will be next gen.(EDIT: Provided that it will truly be a new, standalone console and not just an upgraded Wii)

Also don't count on Sony or Microsoft releasing a new console before 2013. It hasn't even been a year since they've started to get serious with motion gaming, that's what they're focused on now.
SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SlightConfuse

i bet the online will still be bad 

sounds interesting 
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kjellm87
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
. the same old tired fun-based franchises must have gone dead stale by now.
Disagree.

Also I kinda fear for the industry if they keep pushing the tech. Why didn't Nintendo go to the same level of tech as the rest? Because they couldn't afford losing money each game the first couple of years.
We have gotten several trilogies just this gen, because it has become expensive to make games no doubt.
eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By eristocrat

Not surprising since they haven't talked about anything new for Wii later this year except Zelda.  Very interested to see what lessons they've learned from Wii as they sold about a billion consoles then had tons of trouble with attachment rates and getting traditional titles on the thing.  

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hailinel
@Starfishhunter9 said:
" 2 consoles in a generation? Wouldn't this count as next gen? Sure microsoft and sony might not follow for 3 or 4 years but it's been 5 years since the release of the ps3 (The last this gen console) "
If you recall, the Xbox had only been around for a few years before Microsoft tried to get a jump on the competition by launching the 360 in 2005.

The way that Nintendo has been operating as of late, it's hard to say what the next console will be like.  It could be a Wii HD.  It could have the ability to let you play video games with the power of your mind.  It could be a Super NES 2.  It could be a Virtual Boy 2.  I'm not going to even try predicting what it'll be, because chances are I will be spectacularly wrong.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xyzygy
@Hailinel said:

" @Starfishhunter9 said:

If you recall, the Xbox had only been around for a few years before Microsoft tried to get a jump on the competition by launching the 360 in 2005.The way that Nintendo has been operating as of late, it's hard to say what the next console will be like.  It could be a Wii HD.  It could have the ability to let you play video games with the power of your mind.  It could be a Super NES 2.  It could be a Virtual Boy 2.  I'm not going to even try predicting what it'll be, because chances are I will be spectacularly wrong. "
Would it not be epic as fuck if their new console was name SNES2?

@slightconfuse said:
" i bet the online will still be bad 

sounds interesting 
"
I hear the 3DS online opened the online up a bit more so you can more easily share your FC and you have a gamercard-style thing.
Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really say that I am surprised. I'd put money on that fact that it will probably still be underpowered compared to the PS3 and 360 if it is announced this year. Why? Because if they make something that is equally or powerful than a 360 or PS3 they won't be able to make it for $50 and sell it for $350.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#40  Edited By DonutFever
@Hailinel said:
" @Mikemcn said:
3DWii "
3Wii?
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iam3green

wow was not expecting this coming out. it seems pretty weird to release something like that. it is getting me thinking that this might just be something like what apple does with their products, release one and then upgrade it with new one. i just hope that this is really just a wii HD because i think it's to early to release a new console. my ps3 isn't that old, and sony and microsoft just release their motion controls. i dont'  think they plan on releasing a new system right after that. i only think they will release a new console if they find out that the motion controls failed.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hailinel
@xyzygy said:
" @Hailinel said:

" @Starfishhunter9 said:

If you recall, the Xbox had only been around for a few years before Microsoft tried to get a jump on the competition by launching the 360 in 2005.The way that Nintendo has been operating as of late, it's hard to say what the next console will be like.  It could be a Wii HD.  It could have the ability to let you play video games with the power of your mind.  It could be a Super NES 2.  It could be a Virtual Boy 2.  I'm not going to even try predicting what it'll be, because chances are I will be spectacularly wrong. "
Would it not be epic as fuck if their new console was name SNES2?

@slightconfuse said:
" i bet the online will still be bad 

sounds interesting 
"
I hear the 3DS online opened the online up a bit more so you can more easily share your FC and you have a gamercard-style thing.
"
Yes, yes it would be.

And as far as the online is concerned, if the 3DS is any indication, the next Nintendo console should have much better online support than the Wii.  Not saying how much better, but the 3DS is proof that Nintendo wasn't just talking through their hat when they said that they were working on improving their online experience.
Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a sad day when a new Nintendo console makes me feel ... absolutely nothing at all. 

Vexed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vexed

No Caption Provided
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xyzygy
@drag said:
" It's a sad day when a new Nintendo console makes me feel ... absolutely nothing at all.  "
It's the Wii's aftertaste.
brotherlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By brotherlu

I am switching back to PC gaming so I doubt I will buy a new console. Plus honestly cant stand where games a going today, rinse and repeat FPS are not my style anymore. I am addicted to Civ 5 and also I am going to get The Old Republic when it comes out. I dont think anybody will care about a new console. Not just from Nintendogs but also from Micro$oft or Shony.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By HairyMike87

They need to do their best to get better exclusives that are not just from Nintendo.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By Kyreo
@Vexed said:
" But will it have waggle? "
It better.
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

If Nintendo wants any chance of recapturing a larger portion of the hardcore audience, now seems like the perfect time to try rolling out a more advanced console. If they wait until after the next MS or Sony console is released (or even announced), I doubt the odds of success would be as high.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

It could still be years away.