Multiple Sources confirm new Nintendo Console!

• 162 results
flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By flufflogic

It's not hard to make a cheap machine that's far more powerful than 360/PS3 now; I mean, the PS3 GPU is basically a 7600GT, now a 3 generations old technology, and memory costs and speeds have shot up. I'll be interested in seeing the non-hardware stuff the most, though; let's face it, we all need to know if they finally get internet services right, and if they can make games that we actually want to keep playing.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By Lemmycaution217

I am down.

Mr_Spinnington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Mr_Spinnington

if i don't see wild overreactions of this caliber then i don't know Nintendo anymore

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#104  Edited By turboman

Don't be afraid of a new console cycle starting up... Nintendo's just catching up with today's standards.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Quacktastic

I'm into it, if it ships with a normal controller.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By Jimbo

I guess it makes it easier to justify developing decent third party motion games if they can release them in a similar state across at least two platforms.  This news might not prove to be too bad for Sony after all, if it results in Move having some better support.  A smaller share of a big market is better than a big share of no market.

If they sell it with a 360 style pad, then hopefully traditional multi-plat games will come out on it too.  If that results in more overall game sales then it has to be good for all of us, because they can justify making riskier (or just more expensive) games.  That's the interesting thing for me: does the Wii audience stick with their brand and upgrade to the new console?  And assuming they do, has Nintendo been successful at converting them from MAYBE?s into ACTIVEs?  When given the option to buy (previously uncool) 'regular' games, will they now consider it ok to buy and play those games, or are they still only interested in casual / motion stuff?  If there are suddenly 20 million extra people out there who are now potential customers for regular multi-plat games, then that changes everything and Nintendo has been doing God's work.

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By hexx462
@Quacktastic said:
" I'm into it, if it ships with a normal controller. "
That's pretty much how I feel. With the Wii Nintendo pretty much said "this console isn't made for you, goodbye." It's fine for what it is, but it just isn't my cup of tea.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#108  Edited By Dalai

In other news, the Space Pope is still reptilian.

Is this really a surprise anymore? This seems like the biggest non-story of the year. Still gonna hype the shit out of it because it's Nintendo.
hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By hexx462
@Dalai said:
" In other news, the Space Pope is still reptilian.

Is this really a surprise anymore? This seems like the biggest non-story of the year. Still gonna hype the shit out of it because it's Nintendo.
"
It's news because it effectively starts the next generation of consoles, last I checked that's kind of a big deal in the gaming world.
HHAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By HHAP

gosh, it feels like I just got the Wii yesterday.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Dalai
@hexx462 said:
" @Dalai said:
" In other news, the Space Pope is still reptilian.

"
It's news because it effectively starts the next generation of consoles, last I checked that's kind of a big deal in the gaming world. "
It's not news until Nintendo says it is. Right now it's still under the rumors and speculation cloud and even if they say a new console exists, we know literally very little about it.
Santa_8aby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Santa_8aby
@Jimbo: You bring up a good point: where does Nintendo go from here?  Haven't they kind of established themselves as the casual company?  They've already abandoned their original audience once in order to go after the casual marketspace.  At this point they're sort of pigeonholed as the company that makes gimmicks, so I can't imagine them not having motion controls again. Otherwise, Nintendo runs the risk of trying to please all of the people all of the time 

I think what Nintendo does is always interesting, if not conventional.  While Nintendo has had great financial success in the past, I feel they run the risk of painting themselves into a corner there is no escape from.  I suppose only time will tell.
louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#113  Edited By louiedog

3 game cubes duct taped together?

Minifig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Minifig

If this is something like a WII HD, I'm calling it quits with Nintendo. I want something different. :/

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#115  Edited By Geno

If they can make it better than the 360 or PS3 by just a margin they could benefit greatly. 

1) Multiplats usually don't exist on the Wii (and when they do, they're typically the inferior version). This will give them a huge boost in sales if they can bring in multiplats and render them better than either of the other two consoles. 

2) Being marginally better than the PS3 or 360 while keeping costs and temperature down would be trivial, so hardly an expense or risk on Nintendo's part there. They're even in a position to price it aggressively. 

3) PS3 and 360 aren't going anywhere for at least another two years, the Wii HD would dominate the console market for that time period. 

So I see this as a win-win for both Nintendo and consumers if this is true. 
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Which will piss me off significantly, as it will likely force Sony and and Msoft to release their new hardware as quickly and possible..and I was hoping for a few more years on this one. Goddamn.
Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Contro

New CVG Article:

Controller Features Built-in HD Screen

Nintendo's Wii successor is set to utilise an entirely new controller and will be more powerful than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, well-placed international industry sources have told CVG.

CVG sources understand Nintendo plans to officially unveil the console, which will feature full HD visuals and graphical capabilities beyond Sony and Microsoft's current hardware, at E3 this June. 

Leading games publishers have already been briefed on the new console, we understand, and launch titles from third-party developers are in the works right now. 

What's most exciting about the Wii successor however is its all-new controller, which industry sources have indicated is not simply an upgraded Wii Remote, and will even feature a built-in HD screen. 

Our sources did not specify whether or not the controller displays will feature any other functionality, such as that of the DS's touch screen, but it's easy to imagine the sort of innovation an extra screen could bring to Wii 2 games.

"Nintendo's plans sound unreal," one source said. "Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting. 

"The hardware is even more powerful than current HD consoles and backwards compatible with Wii. The controller will be all-new and has a HD screen on it." 

We're told Nintendo plans to launch the Wii successor in late 2012, which lines up with earlier reports from other games media. 

Asked to comment on today's reports earlier, a Nintendo of America spokesperson issued a straight "no comment".    
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#120  Edited By wrighteous86
@Jack268 said:

" http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/14/details-surface-on-the-controller-for-new-nintendo-console.aspx

"
I'm predicting this is true. I think it will be a traditional controller with a touch screen (like the VMU). I think that Wiimotes and Wii Motion + controllers will be fully compatible with the new system.  This way, the millions of Wii owners will all have access to a new "traditional" controller, and a motion controller, avoiding the divide that going one way or the other would create.

Every gamer will have access to traditional controls, something third-party devs would appreciate, and the millions of Wii owners would already have access to motion controls, too.

I think it's the best option they have to entice both hardcore and casual gamers.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By xyzygy

WOW. A screen in the controller. This is gonna be awesome.

Do you think it'll use Blu-Ray?
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:
" @xyzygy: Which will piss me off significantly, as it will likely force Sony and and Msoft to release their new hardware as quickly and possible..and I was hoping for a few more years on this one. Goddamn. "
I don't think that will be the case..  Remember, the original Xbox was released later than the PS2 or Gamecube and was significantly more powerful than either, but it didn't force them to release new systems.  Unless we're talking space age tech or amazing new features that Sony and MS can't compete with, I don't see them jumping to new systems, especially as Sony have only just made the PS3 profitable and Kinect has been wildly popular.

Like others have said, the new Nintendo system might become the "dominant system" for a couple of years, with multiplatform games developed for it and ported down to the other two.  Sony and MS will already be developing new systems, I don't see them jumping the gun and releasing them early, just because Nintendo is playing catch up.  (especially MS, who really rushed the 360 out and paid the price for that).
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WinterSnowblind:  No no no no no. Sorry, but did you read your own post? Firstly the gap between the release of the PS2/GC and Xbox was basically a year - and it was the last console of THAT gen. This will be the FIRST console of the NEXT gen; the other home consoles will be 5 years or so behind in this case, not 1 or 2.

Also  "the new Nintendo system might become the "dominant system" for a couple of years, with multiplatform games developed for it and ported down to the other two." Yeh. Which is why Sony and Msoft will be under pressure to release their systems earlier.
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Vegetable_Side_Dish: We don't know that.  Even cutting edge games on the PC don't look far above what the PS3 and 360 is capable of and Nintendo historically always want to keep costs down.  I could very well see it being a more powerful system but not something that's going to completely eclipse the 360 & PS3 and make them "last gen", that technology simply doesn't exist.

But all we can do at the moment is speculate.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#125  Edited By Yanngc33

Eh, this rumor has been kicking around for years. Who cares

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By BigLemon

Does anyone see the Wii as a gaming console anymore? I have had mine since 2008, and the only game I really ever played on it was the game packaged with it: Wii Sports. I know there are/were some quality (first-party) titles for the Wii, but they are so few and far between. 

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Contro
@xyzygy said:

" WOW. A screen in the controller. This is gonna be awesome.

Do you think it'll use Blu-Ray?
"
It's said to.

Yoshio Sakamoto:

"It’ll leave your mouth open, At Nintendo we always have the obligation to surprise users with a new game console. We have never done what others have. We prefer to create something new that catches attention, and I think this will continue this time as well. Surely the new Nintendo machine will leave you all with your mouth open.”

Mabui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Mabui

Once again, on the heels of 3DS's 3-4 hour battery life,  I can't say I'm particularly setting the bar high for any new console out of that development camp. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@Yanngc33 said:
" Eh, this rumor has been kicking around for years. Who cares "
I think this is a bit more serious than your average rumor.

@BigLemon said:
" Does anyone see the Wii as a gaming console anymore? I have had mine since 2008, and the only game I really ever played on it was the game packaged with it: Wii Sports. I know there are/were some quality (first-party) titles for the Wii, but they are so few and far between.  "
There are some pretty great games for the console if you dig, but your point is valid regardless. The console has less hits and less games worth shelling out cash for overall when compared to the others. The games I've spent the most time with on the console have been the Trauma Center games, the best two of which came out, respectively, in 2006 and 2007. I have a few other games on the shelf that may be pretty good, but I'm well past the point that I can be blown away by a Wii game, frankly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for the console itself I'm really excited about the news and I personally think the gist of it is true. I never considered it at first, but if you think about it, it kind of does make sense for Nintendo to try and jump out in a new console generation first. I am eagerly looking forward to a new generation and moving past the self-centeredness of alot of this generation that I feel like has been holding the market back from moving forward tech-wise. I love my 360, but it's been showing it's age for awhile now, and I am more than ready for the wheels of the next generation to start moving.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Wolverine

I feel pretty confident that Nintendo will announce a "WIi HD" at E3 this year considering that they need to be able to compete with Microsoft and Sony. I think 360 and PS3 still have a couple of years left though. It wouldn't make sense for Microsoft to release a new console this year considering they just sold 10 Million Kinects.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wolverine said:
" I feel pretty confident that Nintendo will announce a "WIi HD" at E3 this year considering that they need to be able to compete with Microsoft and Sony. I think 360 and PS3 still have a couple of years left though. It wouldn't make sense for Microsoft to release a new console this year considering they just sold 10 Million Kinects. "
I think you could easily carry that technology forward onto a new console with minimal effort. The beauty of Kinect is that it's basically completely separate from the 360 itself. Adapting Kinect to a future Xbox would be a piece of cake.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Meowshi

Why would it be more powerful than PS3 and 360?  Do you people even know what company you're talking about?

evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By evilmax17
@xyzygy said: 

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Meowshi said:
" Why would it be more powerful than PS3 and 360?  Do you people even know what company you're talking about? "
Because that technology is old as shit and they could make it more powerful without too much trouble?

Also, Nintendo Dreamcast.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#136  Edited By ArbitraryWater

It's a sad day when I can't get excited about the New Nintendo Console. I mean, the last game I played on that thing was Galaxy 2 and otherwise it's been gathering dust or being used as a Just Dance machine whenever people come over. Thanks Nintendo.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#137  Edited By wrighteous86
@Mabui said:

" Once again, on the heels of 3DS's 3-4 hour battery life,  I can't say I'm particularly setting the bar high for any new console out of that development camp.  "

Blame the fact that battery technology hasn't advanced in over a decade. If you want DS battery length, you've got to settle for DS power or a bigger system to take advantage of a larger battery.
robot4me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By robot4me

Nintendo anounces stuff and a week to a month later it is released. If Nintendo didn't say it don't believe it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By xyzygy
@evilmax17 said:
" @xyzygy said: 

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
"
This is exactly what came to mind when I first heard it. Except the tech is in the Dreamcast is well over 13 years old. Think of the things they can do with it now.

@Meowshi said:
" Why would it be more powerful than PS3 and 360?  Do you people even know what company you're talking about? "
PS3 tech is 6 years old, 360's is 7. It wouldn't be hard at all to get hardware that surpasses them. Think about it this way: the Dreamcast came out at the end of 1998, and the 360 came out at the end of 2005. That's seven years difference between hardware.
Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Contro

"It is our understanding that Nintendo is trying to embrace the western gamer and will likely launch a new brand with this console ."   

According to the latest report, 'Wii 2' is being internally referred to as 'Project Café'

It says the console will include a custom IBM Power PC CPU with three cores, a GPU from the ATI R700 family with a shader unit at version 4.1, and at least 512Mb of RAM

This would of course make HD console ports very easy for developers, but 'Project Café' will also include backwards compatibility with both the Wii (including all peripherals) and GameCube games, it's said. 

The controller has a six-inch touch screen, a front-facing camera, D-Pad, two bumpers, two triggers and "possibly more," and can allegedly be used as a Wii sensor bar

Late 2012 is the release date, and another "big surprise" about the console is set to be revealed at E3, the report concludes.    

VG247:

The site [from the specs post] also concurs that the controller is a touch tablet, with moderate, sub-HD graphic output with a single-touch 6-inch screen, a front camera which acts as a Wii sensor bar, two d-pads, two bumpers, and possibly more than two triggers.

Edge:

Ubisoft studios have had development kits “for months”, motion-sensing “better than Move”; announcement at E3?

Sources have this morning confirmed reports that Nintendo has a successor to the Wii in the works, telling us that thirdparty studios including those of Ubisoft, Activision and Electronic Arts have had development units of the new hardware for months.

They have also claimed that the system retains motion control, with capabilities that are “better than Move”, meaning that they boast higher fidelity. We do not yet have word on whether or not its motion-controlled solution introduces a camera.

Stream "Entire" Games to your controller screen:

https://twitter.com/#!/jimreilly/status/58991231140773889
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By DystopiaX
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @Vegetable_Side_Dish: We don't know that.  Even cutting edge games on the PC don't look far above what the PS3 and 360 is capable of and Nintendo historically always want to keep costs down.  I could very well see it being a more powerful system but not something that's going to completely eclipse the 360 & PS3 and make them "last gen", that technology simply doesn't exist.

But all we can do at the moment is speculate.
"
Only because they're all console ports. If consoles didn't exist or it was financially viable to create PC exclusives with ridiculous graphics, the two wouldn't even compare. It's only because of consoles and budgets that the two are close...the actual hardware is nowhere close to each other.

As for people saying people will create multiplatform games on this and then port down, I doubt it. Nintendo has made it clear over the past few years that they're going to differentiate themselves through game play (DS, Wii, 3DS) so they're not going to go purely traditional...they're going to have some kind of input that's unique to them.

Also, @Contro: That seems like a terrible idea to me...there's no way in hell I'd want to play a game on that tiny ass screen. It's why I haven't touched my DS in years and the PSP flopped...full console ports (look at PSP games) simply don't work.

@xyzygy: Nintendo hasn't gone for cutting edge tech in the past few years though...I think it'll be better than the 360/PS3, probably the equivalent of an average to above-average priced computer if bought today, but whenever MS/Sony release their consoles they will far outstrip this, simply because they go for hardware power and Nintendo does not.

I also doubt that this will rush MS/Sony by as much as people say. If rumors are to be believed their consoles are still being conceptualized, so even if they feel the need to hurry up they'll be at least a year and a half, probably more behind Nintendo, assuming that Nintendo's is revealed at E3 and shipped next year. I think this'll be the first generation where the console generation doesn't ship all at once/in one huge wave.
Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Contro
@DystopiaX: 

All of this is rumour and conjecture at this point in time. Besides, using the PSP is a terrible example, the PSP had shit controls for certain games and bad software support. While this controller, could be streaming of console games, meaning everyone gets their own personal screen to use if they wish. I personally think the touch screen will display additional controls and customisable menu's.
flufflogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#143  Edited By flufflogic

This controller is what's getting me.

So, it has twin sticks, and we can assume it adopts the now standard 4 face and 4 trigger buttons configuration, judging by the rumour they want more third party developer support. But then there's the crazy part: the rumour it has a 6" touch screen. Now, the first part all makes sense - it's just a Nintendo version of a Dual Shock 3, in all respects - but that is a big touch screen. It's also damn expensive to have there. Is anyone going to pay $100 for a controller, really?

No matter what, though, you can bet on one thing: it won't make MS or Sony rush. Sony can't afford a new cycle just yet, and MS have a good thing going. I'd say 2013 for them still, with support for 360 and PS3 continuing til 2015/6 to complete their ten year cycles.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#144  Edited By tebbit

Nintendo 128

With a controller shaped like an infinity symbol, you wrap it around your neck and operate the buttons with your tongue.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@DystopiaX: Even games that are developed exclusively for the PC on a massive budget don't significantly outclass what we see on the PS3 and 360.  Case and point: the Witcher 2.
Does it look better than anything available on consoles?  Yes.  Does it make the consoles insignificant and antiquated in comparison?  No.  We're talking about higher quality textures and better resolution, nothing else.

Also bare in mind we're talking about Nintendo, who are well known for trying to keep costs of hardware to a minimum.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WinterSnowblind said:
" @DystopiaX: Even games that are developed exclusively for the PC on a massive budget don't significantly outclass what we see on the PS3 and 360.  Case and point: the Witcher 2.
Does it look better than anything available on consoles?  Yes.  Does it make the consoles insignificant and antiquated in comparison?  No.  We're talking about higher quality textures and better resolution, nothing else.

Also bare in mind we're talking about Nintendo, who are well known for trying to keep costs of hardware to a minimum.
"
I'd also wager the game was designed with the possibility of a console port in mind.
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DystopiaX:  Heh.
I didn't say that, I think you quoted someone else :)
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Khann said:
" @WinterSnowblind said:
" @DystopiaX: Even games that are developed exclusively for the PC on a massive budget don't significantly outclass what we see on the PS3 and 360.  Case and point: the Witcher 2.

"
I'd also wager the game was designed with the possibility of a console port in mind. "
The developers have been absolutely adamant that it's been designed 100% as a PC game and not dumbed down in any way shape or form.  Their recent press conference certainly demonstrated that.
If anything's holding it back, it's simply that nobody would own a PC powerful enough to do any better with it..  And if that's the point, I don't care.  It has nothing to do with what we we're discussing and I don't see why this should turn into a PC fanboy dick waving contest.  

Unless you do think the new system will be that powerful.. but again, Nintendo are hardly known for pushing advanced tech like that, they like to keep systems affordable and something like that would be insanely priced.  Considering the economic climate, it doesn't seem too likely.  So going back to the original point..  I don't see it completely eclipsing the 360 and PS3 in terms of graphics or forcing them to release new systems just yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WinterSnowblind said:
 I don't see it completely eclipsing the 360 and PS3 in terms of graphics or forcing them to release new systems just yet.
"
I agree to some extent. Well, entirely really. 

I think it will be more powerful, but not enough to be meaningful. Much like the Xbox and PS2.

Then when the Xbox 3 and PS4 come out, it will be like the Wii all over again: generation old tech with some stupid gimmick that was only entertaining for a year at most. 

But no doubt they will still sell an assload of consoles and make money on every one, so power to them I guess?
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Kjellm87
@Khann:
What I kinda like with them be behind tech wise is that it loosen up the issue with money during the software development.
As far I'm concerned, it all about 3rd party, rest has been ok.