My Battle.net account has been locked. What?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Baillie

I just got an email stating that my 'Battle.net' account has been locked, which is associated with my email address - due to suspicious activity. I'll tell you what's suspicious, the fact I didn't even fucking know I had a Battle.net account. Weird, right? They've locked out my password now, which I wouldn't even know what it was anyway. Crazy times. I hope they have my down as having owned all their games.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SexyToad

Maybe it was a fake email?

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Subjugation

Sounds like a spam message phishing for your password. If you don't have an account, obviously they can't get your password. I used to get spam messages for "suspicious activity" on my account for MMOs that I'd never played.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Baillie

@SexyToad said:

You know, when I made this thread, I was thinking either or you were going to be the first reply. You've done me a splendid job.

Anyway, doesn't look fake. It's from noreplyeu@blizzard.com, and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Well, apart from what I've mentioned, lol.

HHAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HHAP

I've gotten this email too(multiple times), and I only created an account many years ago when I tried a demo of WoW. I think it could be spam, but their email address seemed real.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zels

@Baillie: Email addresses can be spoofed, I've done it myself once - it ain't that hard.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

I'd contact Blizzard Customer Support through a known channel and get confirmation that way.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Baillie said:

@SexyToad said:

You know, when I made this thread, I was thinking either or you were going to be the first reply. You've done me a splendid job.

To be fair, I didn't because:

1. I was eating/watching some anime stuffs, and
  2. Battle.Net isn't my area of expertise. That's Paint.Net.
Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Baillie

@Subjugation: @HHAP: @zels: @Hailinel: Well, that's weird. I went to Battle.net and went through a process of trying to recover this account. I managed to get a *new* password, and I went on. It turns out I have Starcraft 2, and it was bought on 8/7/2010. Weird. Very weird. But also, cool? Right?

The game doesn't interest me though.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By AndrewB

@Video_Game_King: Can you help me out with my Paint.NET ban?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By StarvingGamer

So you basically ended up with SC2 for free? Bizarre.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Baillie

@StarvingGamer: As far as I can tell, I think so? It's weird, I mean logic would tell me that I bought it back then and totally forgot about it, but I wouldn't be that careless. I'm not an RTS fan, nothing Blizzard does really excites me and well yeah. Who knows, whatever. FREE GAME BITCHES.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB

@Baillie: Is it owned, or is that just the "starter edition" that's basically a free demo to all? I can't remember when they started that. I don't think it was that soon after release.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zels

@Baillie: Sell your account to someone if you don't care about the game.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EXTomar

@Baillie said:

@SexyToad said:

Anyway, doesn't look fake. It's from noreplyeu@blizzard.com, and nothing seems out of the ordinary. Well, apart from what I've mentioned, lol.

The problem is that SMTP (email protocol) does not actually specify a way to verify the sender. I could make an email that says "sexytoad@giantbomb.com" and send it through an open relay where as long as the recipient exists it will attempt to deliver it. There are third party solutions that try to enforce sender and verify their identity but it is optional and not part of the delivery protocol but instead part of the recipient side making coverage variable. Through the Battle.net domain they have published keys to identify official senders but it requires your server and/or your email client to recognize them and put "2 and 2" together.

Alternatively and a bit more far fetched: Someone has access to that email address and created a battle.net account on it. This doesn't happen so much with the prevalence of freebie email accounts.

Either way, if you don't have a Battle.net account then it is a phishing attempt. For years I've gotten email about problems with my bank account from a bank I have never heard of let alone an account with. Looks official in format but it is completely bogus.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Baillie

@AndrewB: It's owned.

@zels: I'd rather not, while a good idea, it still is associated with my account and the likes, just feels off.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SexyToad

@EXTomar said:

@Baillie said:

@SexyToad said:

The problem is that SMTP (email protocol) does not actually specify a way to verify the sender. I could make an email that says "sexytoad@giantbomb.com" and send it through an open relay where as long as the recipient exists it will attempt to deliver it. There are third party solutions that try to enforce sender and verify their identity but it is optional and not part of the delivery protocol but instead part of the recipient side making coverage variable.

Alternatively and a bit more far fetched: Someone has access to that email address and created a battle.net account on it.

Should I be concern about you?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EXTomar

Maybe? :) I just pulled out name to make the point is that email wasn't ever designed to be secured or valid. It was never meant to be any more confidential than a postcard you receive in the mail.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By endless_void

@Baillie: I'm willing to trade a steam account with dota 2 on it for your bnet with sc2, not a big fan of dota so if you're up for the trade lemme know.