My Problem With Fallout 3

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By gearhead

So this past week, whenever I have some spare time, I load up Fallout 3, and play it. But there is some issues that I have with it. Some really BIG issues.
-There are some really, really, bad glitches. I just encountered the same glitch that happened to Jeff Gertsman, where I enter a building in megaton, a robot comes shooting at me, I did not know not to go in here, the whole town tries to kill me, I have little to no health, no ammo, and my last save was hours ago.
-The quests are not as good as Oblivion. Sure, the main quest line is

Depressing, much.
Depressing, much.
far better than Oblivions, but the side quests, are not as fun as the Fighter, Mages, Dark  Brotherhood, and Thieves Guild quest lines.
-The land is too sparse.
-VAT system is cool, but gets old after awhile.
-And my biggest issue. The game, is, very, depressing. Whenever I turn it on, I feel always grumpy, and just down. Playing in a world where every kill is just so gruesome, and people are killing themselves. Nuclear bombs are common, and people have not whim to live, is just  something that does not bring joy to me. I usually find myself turning it on, then a couple minutes later, going to play a more colorful, or upbeat game like Banjo.

For these reasons, I really don't think I can ever play Fallout 3 again. Instead, I think I will go play Fable 2, Prince of Persia, or play some Banjo Kazoie. Later.
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By gearhead

So this past week, whenever I have some spare time, I load up Fallout 3, and play it. But there is some issues that I have with it. Some really BIG issues.
-There are some really, really, bad glitches. I just encountered the same glitch that happened to Jeff Gertsman, where I enter a building in megaton, a robot comes shooting at me, I did not know not to go in here, the whole town tries to kill me, I have little to no health, no ammo, and my last save was hours ago.

Depressing, much.
Depressing, much.
far better than Oblivions, but the side quests, are not as fun as the Fighter, Mages, Dark  Brotherhood, and Thieves Guild quest lines.
-The land is too sparse.
-And my biggest issue. The game, is, very, depressing. Whenever I turn it on, I feel always grumpy, and just down. Playing in a world where every kill is just so gruesome, and people are killing themselves. Nuclear bombs are common, and people have not whim to live, is just  something that does not bring joy to me. I usually find myself turning it on, then a couple minutes later, going to play a more colorful, or upbeat game like Banjo.

For these reasons, I really don't think I can ever play Fallout 3 again. Instead, I think I will go play Fable 2, Prince of Persia, or play some Banjo Kazoie. Later.
samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By samcotts

Luckily for me, I always save often, so your first problem doesn't affect me at all. I can't really compare the side quests to Oblivion because I never played it, but I think the side quests are brilliant. And I love VAT's, and the combat as a whole actually.

But, I do understand where you are coming from with Fallout 3 being depressing. God there are some really horrible and shocking moments, but I think that shows what a great job they have done in creating a world that is so far fetched but is actually very believable at the same time. I really feel for the characters, I want to help the people in the Fallout 3 world, while also feeling hatred for the Enclave.
EleFlameMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EleFlameMax

Noah Baumbach wrote both The Squid and The Whale and Kicking and Screaming, but the latter is nowhere as good as the former. Not even in the same league. What I'm trying to say is that Bethesda is actually Noah Baumbach, and like Baumbach, they have a really good hair cut.

... Huh?

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By gearhead

Eleflamax, that went way over my head...

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By time allen

It's not that depressing, think about it this way: In a few years earth could be the same as what you see in Fallout. I hope that helps cheer you up.

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By DBoy

The glitch you encountered has never happened to me, and I've been playing the game for a good 40+ hours.  Also, when you enter a new area, the game auto saves, so you just have to go back and reload if this kind of glitch happens.  Another thing, if you did something wrong in that area or town previously, like steal something or kill somebody, and re-enter it not too long afterward, the citizens will remember you and shoot you on sight, especially if their health meter is red.

I can't really compare Fallout 3 to Oblivion because I really disliked the latter.  I found it too vast and not very entertaining.  As for being depressed while playing the game, I don't have that problem at all.  The game was designed and meant to be dark, gruesome and somewhat depressing.  This game is set in a post-apocalyptic environment.  You shouldn't expect flashy colors and a party-like atmosphere.

Avatar image for deactivated-579a5a254c9a3
deactivated-579a5a254c9a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

what Tom said, basically. and Fallout 3 looks like the single most intriguing game of 2008 for me precisely BECAUSE it's so depressing.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Artie

I don't consider that a glitch, I consider that "you fucked up." Even with Jeff, he clearly stated" I tried going to an area that was locked, and a robot attacked me. Well it's locked for a reason, so you don't go in there. It's just like real life, if you fuck up, you fuck up, there's no redo. That seems like a game design rather than a problem with the game. Same with the depressing mood, it's supposed to be that way. Sure you can say you don't like that about the game, but don't say it's "bad."

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gearhead

Dboy- I didn't expect either of that, I knew that a game about a nuclear apocalypse(!) would be depressing, but not this so. I think you can compliment Bethesda for creating such a great environment, but the game is just not for me. Is that so wrong?
Artie- For me, the area was not locked. So, yeah.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By lordofultima

I save often, as in I had 760 of them by the end of the game, but other than that, I hear you.Oblivion's quests were so much more appealing.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

That robot thing is on purpose that robot guards the armoury its not a glitch........

all you had to do to get ride of that is kill the robot then high tail it out of megaton and wait 3 days (game time) 
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Xandurson

Sorry you don't enjoy it. So far, I find it really fun!

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By GreggD

The first one doesn't sound like a glitch, just a mistake on your part.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
GreggD said:
"The first one doesn't sound like a glitch, just a mistake on your part."
What i said :P 
pill92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pill92

I agree with you up till the grumpy part.....yeah i don't get grumpy=). 

frankthelizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By frankthelizard

Yes it is wrong for you to not like Fallout 3 cause it is godly!

Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By Spencer

I agree completely.  Before I played it, I was thinking "hell yeah post-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland", but I don't want that in a game.  I'm ready to go back to the ponies and plains of Cyrodiil/Shivering Isles.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bulldog19892
ZombieHunter said:
"That robot thing is on purpose that robot guards the armoury its not a glitch........
all you had to do to get ride of that is kill the robot then high tail it out of megaton and wait 3 days (game time) 
"
You don't eben have to wiat three days. I killed a few people in Rivet City and high tailed it out of there until I was "[HIDDEN]", then I just walked right back into town. No one cared.
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By time allen

I don't understand the whole "if it's depressing then it's not good" idea that seems to have captivated the majority of the world. Personally, I cannot stand most games/media that are overly happy unless it is done right. Anyway, semi-rant over.

JDM006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JDM006

My problem with Fallout 3 is that I always dozed off when playing it.  I found the game rather boring.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead
Toms115 said:
"I don't understand the whole "if it's depressing then it's not good" idea that seems to have captivated the majority of the world. Personally, I cannot stand most games/media that are overly happy unless it is done right. Anyway, semi-rant over."
I concur. Default hero tales are so played out.
oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By oraknabo

You broke into the town armory and now you're surprised that people are after you?

You have a strange definition of glitch.

ChestyMcGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ChestyMcGee

Hm... I'd say the big reason I didn't get it is the same reason I got sick of Oblivion after a while (despite how good it is): the animations SUCK. Really. Bethesda really need a new animating team. Picky I know... and yet why should I spend my money on mediocrity?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jayge_

I disagree with... that entire list of yours right there. Oh well. Each his own. It's the game of the year in my opinion.

frankthelizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By frankthelizard

Are you saying that Gears 2 kills arent gruesome and Im pretty sure you like that game. HEads popping off just as bad in Gears as is Fallout.

ChestyMcGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ChestyMcGee

Who cares they're both really average?

Flame away...
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hexpane

Here's an idea, don't play games you don't enjoy?

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28  Edited By JamesF

Sucks.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By StaticFalconar
Gearhead said:
"So this past week, whenever I have some spare time, I load up Fallout 3, and play it. But there is some issues that I have with it. Some really BIG issues.
Depressing, much.
Depressing, much.
-The land is too sparse.

For these reasons, I really don't think I can ever play Fallout 3 again. Instead, I think I will go play Fable 2, Prince of Persia, or play some Banjo Kazoie. Later."

Well
- if you see red when you do anything, that means people will hate you for it. NOT a glitch (I did the same thing but killed the robot, and the town didn't hate me when i left, Its the robot that calls everybody in the town to hate you).
- yeah the quest you got a point there
- when you level up, the land gets populated with many creatures
- yeah I wish the slow down kills in VAT would be speed up.
-its a game set in a post apocalyptic future, what did you expect? That's like blaming Disney for making you too happy always.

In the end I don't think Fallout 3 is just the game for you. I suggest Barbie's Grand Adventure instead, lols. Later.
EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#30  Edited By EpicBenjamin

Most depressing game ever? Probably, still hella good though.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Kazona

Maybe I'm some kind of weirdo, but I don't get depressed at all when I play Fallout 3. Just the contrary, whenever I play it, I'm totally intrigued and completely into it. I just love doing a good deed in the game and then having Three Dog spreading the love more and more the more good you do. I even like giving the dudes begging for water some of my purified water every chance I get. Even though it's the same line each time, I get this warm fuzzy feeling every time I do it. I like warm and fuzzy. Only time I get depressed is when muh doggie dies. Poor doggie. But I save often so doggie gets brought back to life every time. Living breathing doggie = good doggie. Dead doggie = bad doggie.

Fix2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fix2

haha yeah just I think the game touched you at a whole new level man but thats cool in a way I felt the same way but man the side quest sucked ass!!!
overall the story got to me with the father son relationship

commodore64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By commodore64

Bethesda is trying to create a environment of post apocalyptic despair in this game which may be a little much for some. Especially if your trying to do all of the evil things in this game.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I personally can not get enough of VATS , I have mastered Small Guns and earned 4 Gun nuts perk , also My character's luck is pretty high  and that means every time I go into VATS I pull of head shots which is really gruesome and profoundly satisfying .
as for the depressing mood , I really loved it .  the environment has a nostalgic feeling to it but  watching people living together in shelters , listening to love songs via radios , getting married , invest moneys , worship , doing scientific experiments  , seducing the others , ................. it shows that life is still  flowing within lifeless Capital wasteland