My Worst Moment

This topic is locked from further discussion.

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#151  Edited By birchman

I never paid much attention to it when I heard it, other than it was a bit unusual. I think most of us can be understanding and think about of all those times when a game has made us so pissed off that... Well, the shit-weird meanings I've concocted out of pure rage are plentiful.

As someone who has followed you guys since the GameSpot days, I didn't think for a second that there was anything else behind the uttering other than pure rage and frustration, and seeing as it is late in the work day for you guys (I think) a bit of tiredness as well. I've never seen you guys hateful against anyone, except for people who use "epic fail" (which is justified).

To those who were offended, I think you have done everything and more to show off that you are sorry, and I think that all this will blow over soon.

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#152  Edited By kristov_romanov

@jking47 said:

I would hope everyone realizes that it was not said in any hurtful way. I am a little surprised you are editing the archived version, but I guess I can live with it as long as it is just a bleep or something, not cutting out sections.

Exactly. You know who really pisses me off?

This dickhead

Kingfalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By Kingfalcon

@ZeForgotten said:

@Kingfalcon said:

@PeasantAbuse: Seven pages' worth of comments would lead me to disagree with you.

If you wanna call 7 pages of people going "it's ok, Ryan" a discussion then.. erhm, ok.. a little strange but whatever

How could someone who didn't hear it live put all the comments in the proper context without knowing the word itself? I'm not saying it needs to be repeated over and over again, but I think it's important to know why Ryan is so apologetic.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By excast

We all say stupid shit that we regret sometimes.  Honestly, I can't imagine having hours of my words taped each week for the world's consumption.  God only knows the horrors that would come out of my mouth.

I think it boils down to this.  You said something that you regretted and you stepped up like a man to own the mistake.  You didn't pretend it didn't happen.  You didn't go with the PC garbage response of "I am sorry if I unintentionally offended anyone with my words that were taken out of context.".  You did the right thing and for that you earn respect.

Avatar image for belligerentengine
BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't have any comment to make here that isn't countermand to your intent in creating this thread.

It's good of you to apologize regardless, especially in the context of being effectively on the clock while,"the event" occurred.

Edit: However I refuse to believe this is your worst moment, unless you're multiplying the enormity of the crime by the number of people who witnessed it.

Sergotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

#156  Edited By Sergotron

You just were caught doing what the 99% of the people here have done themselves. Then feeling like shit when you come to your senses.

GoldSoundz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#157  Edited By GoldSoundz

It's hard to say much of anything these days without hurting someone's feelings. Still, that was a well written apology, and I hope this community can move along and put it behind themselves. His words weren't directed at any person for which the word describes. If that had been the case, well, it would definitely be worth getting worked up about. We all say dumb stuff, and in the heat of the moment all sorts of unsavory words come out of our mouths. You are a cool guy, Ryan. You've handled this situation as well as you can.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Th3_James

Now I regret not watching all of the lantern run.

HighLearn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By HighLearn

Ryan's frustration with himself was immediately obvious - as such I have to forgive. Ryan, take it easy, just a slip-up.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#160  Edited By warxsnake

Dude, we love you Ryan, keep up the excellent work. Everyone has slip-ups, most are lucky they're not on live broadcast...

And people who are taking this seriously should chill the fuck out. 

dunnihdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By dunnihdd

We all say things in the heat of the moment that we wish we could take back it's human nature

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#162  Edited By eccentrix

I'm glad this happened, because I had no idea Americans felt so strongly about their use of language. I guess there are just some facets of your society which aren't covered by TV or other forms of media which I'll have to learn in other ways.

Avatar image for nancydrewfan123
NancyDrewFan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By NancyDrewFan123

Thanks for giving a sincere apology. I know a lot of people think language like that is okay, or no big deal, or whatever, but it can make a place really unwelcoming to non-straight gamers when stuff like that is just thrown about. I think it is really great that you point out that it is not okay to say under any circumstances. By not trying to explain it away as not really that bad and acknowledging how hurtful it can be to hear things like that, you did the best thing you could do after making a big mistake.

I can't think of any other time I've seen someone in the game industry make a mistake like this and own up to it without any pretense or weasel words. What happened was wrong but the way you've handled things is right.

Thanks for being a a cool dude and making the right decision. As a gay nerd, I appreciate your candor and appreciate the effort..

Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Istealdreams

Duder, we've all been there.

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#165  Edited By Duffyside

@ZombiePie said:

If you do not know what Ryan said then read the entire thread. All you really need to know is that Ryan is sorry and the Lantern Run when it does go up will be edited.

Certain words need not be repeated. This is certainly one of them. Users who repeat what Ryan said during the stream are completely undermining what he is using this blog for and as such these comments will be deleted. Let's learn from mistakes instead of repeating them, okay?

ZombiePie, you do a great job, and are possibly just doing what the GB crew are suggesting you do in private but... no. Not ok.

I disagree with the deleting of comments that are clearly trying to make light of the issue (especially the really funny ones), but understand why that wouldn't belong in this particular thread. Ok. But not even allowing people to say the word that is pretty much on center stage is... dumb, at best. Oppressive at histrionic worst.

Let's not put our heads in the sand and our fingers in our ears.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#166  Edited By DonutFever

Man, there are a lot of first posts in this thread. Bad first impression.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#167  Edited By Claude

Is Patrick going to write an article about this?

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#168  Edited By Chemin

Awww, I want to give you a hug. Com'ere you big bear! All is forgiven. Heck, I never even reflected on it until you started apologizing. I guess watching stand-up comedians to a great extent made me insensitive to words like that. And that's just what they are; words. Nothing more. Even though they can hurt, or offend, I can promise you it didn't this time. Not to anyone.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By iamjohn

We've all said things in a fit of blind rage we didn't mean, but it takes a real man to own up to it and acknowledge that it's not okay. Good on you, Ryan.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Jay444111

What did he apologize for?

demarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#171  Edited By demarcon

It really shocked me to hear that word, never really expect to hear it. But it's really great to see you not only apologize for it during the stream, but to take the time to apologize for it in a written post. It's easy to tell your sincerity in your apology, especially the moment after the word was spoken on the stream you could immediately sense the sorrow in your voice about saying it, while others were joking about it you were adamantly apologizing. It's a really great characteristic to be able to own up to a mistake, no matter how large or small, in such a sincere way.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#172  Edited By recroulette

This is why I have all the respect in the world for you Ryan.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#173  Edited By GreggD

I wasn't at home tonight to watch it, so for me it's as if (whatever was said) was never said.

goatmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#174  Edited By goatmilk

Well snap. The problem is that the insult in question is used so freely by others in society it seeps into your brain. Then, when you least expect it, your brain lets it out.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a bisexual male, I am completely fine with being called a butt-buddy. 

That's what he said, right? 

fpsShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By fpsShark

Being completely honest, I still find myself saying things out of anger and frustration that should not be said. I have really tried as I've "grown up" to change that habit. I've managed to move away from some of the most egregious words, but I still hate when I find myself calling something "gay" or "retarded" as substitutes for "dumb" or "frustrating."

That being said, it was awesome and big of you to step up, own it, and apologize for it. No hard feelings here. Hopefully the rest of the community agrees and it can be put behind us all.

I know I'm probably being over-dramatic about it, but I really hope now that Giant Bomb is a part of a much bigger, more public company that this doesn't have too much fallout.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By TentPole

@Duffyside said:

@ZombiePie said:

If you do not know what Ryan said then read the entire thread. All you really need to know is that Ryan is sorry and the Lantern Run when it does go up will be edited.

Certain words need not be repeated. This is certainly one of them. Users who repeat what Ryan said during the stream are completely undermining what he is using this blog for and as such these comments will be deleted. Let's learn from mistakes instead of repeating them, okay?

ZombiePie, you do a great job, and are possibly just doing what the GB crew are suggesting you do in private but... no. Not ok.

I disagree with the deleting of comments that are clearly trying to make light of the issue (especially the really funny ones), but understand why that wouldn't belong in this particular thread. Ok. But not even allowing people to say the word that is pretty much on center stage is... dumb, at best. Oppressive at histrionic worst.

I agree that talking around and diminishing hateful words is just as offensive as using them, but I think we need to bow to the wishes of Giant Bomb as it is there site.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#178  Edited By Enigma777

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

As a bisexual male, I am completely fine with being called a butt-buddy. That's what he said, right?

What about a chocolate thief?

kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By kristov_romanov

@ZombiePie said:

And are these "certain words" detailed for the moderators or up to your discretion? Who can you offend and who can't you?

I'm not having a go at you by any means, I am just curious about how these types of community matters are decided.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#180  Edited By SSValis

@ZombiePie said:

what thread?

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#181  Edited By trulyalive

@wrathofconn said:

@TrulyAlive said:

@Everyones_A_Critic: No. It was a slur although clearly not used in an offensive capacity.

Guess what? You don't get to decide what is or is not an "offensive capacity". That's why Ryan made this blog post, because good people don't try to rationalize it that way, they realize the truth and act like an adult about it, even if it was accidental. Not singling you out either, just a general reminder.

Alright dude, chill.

In my opinion, it was not used in an offensive capacity. Unless those pixels become sentient and take offence.

Then they and Captain Conn over here can take up arms and storm the armada.

MosaicM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By MosaicM80

I realize you feel bad and the context doesn't matter to you, but I honestly feel kind of meh about the whole thing. People say stuff like this in real life, especially when your frustrated. And video games can do that to people. I feel like there shouldn't be a need for an apology but I understand you may personally (and professionally) feel the need to express one. For me, I was never offended and I think anyone offended by this is a bit to sensitive and needs to grow up a little bit. But again, I understand the need to apologize.

The video was very fun and all of the comments I found very funny. There are FAR worse things to apologize for (not from you, just the world in general) rather than a word said in a heated moment with no real purpose behind it apart from simple relief of video gaming frustration. Either way, I love you Ryan and I love Giant Bomb.

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Duffyside

@GreggD said:

I wasn't at home tonight to watch it, so for me it's as if (whatever was said) was never said.

And that's all that matters! ... DUH.

@goatmilk said:

Well snap. The problem is that the insult in question is used so freely by others in society it seeps into your brain. Then, when you least expect it, your brain lets it out.

I disagree with you completely. I actually never made any conscious effort to stop using the word, but have found it nearly eliminated from my vocabulary because it's no where to be heard any more. Granted, I'm on PS3, not 360. Soo...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#184  Edited By Hailinel

It's cool, Ryan. It was obvious you didn't mean it and I accept your apology.

@eccentrix said:

I'm glad this happened, because I had no idea Americans felt so strongly about their use of language. I guess there are just some facets of your society which aren't covered by TV or other forms of media which I'll have to learn in other ways.

America is a diverse country, and as such, we have diverse language habits. Some people run "blue" more than others, but there are certain words that are considered particularly inappropriate, even in an environment where one person can call another a motherfucker without fear of reprisal. What Ryan said was definitely not OK, but he is well aware of that fact and his profuse apologies have been sincere.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#185  Edited By hockeymask27

@FinalDasa said:

@Claude said:

It's the funny. The words that come out of my mouth aren't live streamed. I'm thankful for that.

This.

We all have slips of the tongue or in rowdy moments of frustration let things slip.

ya it cool ryan.

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By customotto

@NancyDrewFan123 said:

I know a lot of people think language like that is okay, or no big deal, or whatever, but it can make a place really unwelcoming to non-straight gamers when stuff like that is just thrown about.

This. It is frustratingly common to see homophobic slurs thrown around on the internet and makes it hard to feel welcome just about anywhere. To those who don't get it: it might be "just a word" to you but to many others it's not. There's a ton of bad history and hate behind that word and I personally like being able to go to a website whose content I enjoy and not be constantly reminded how homophobic the world is.

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Duffyside

@TentPole said:

@Duffyside said:

@ZombiePie said:

I agree that talking around and diminishing hateful words is just as offensive as using them, but I think we need to bow to the wishes of Giant Bomb as it is there site.

Heh, well, to be honest to ourselves, we obviously don't have any choice. Giant Bomb isn't much for user-input on these matters. I could flood this thread all day, it wouldn't make a dent. But, in the same principle, I felt compelled to at least let my distaste for the policy be said just once.

JayDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By JayDee

i've read the whole thread and still don't know what he said, but good job. apologies are cool.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#189  Edited By musubi

@TrulyAlive: And again... just because YOU weren't offended doesn't mean the usage of the word can't offend.

AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By AndyPhifer

It happens, man. I did the same thing two weeks ago. I hadn't said that word in any other way than as a quote in a decade, and then somehow in the middle of a totally normal conversation, it just slipped out. I wasn't even mad! It just happened.

But anyway, yes, you're totally forgiven.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By laserbolts

Don't worry Ryan people will still buy your shirts and whatever else you plan on throwing up in the store.

kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By kristov_romanov

@kristov_romanov said:

@ZombiePie said:

And are these "certain words" detailed for the moderators or up to your discretion? Who can you offend and who can't you?

I'm not having a go at you by any means, I am just curious about how these types of community matters are decided.

I was advised to "Refer to the forum rules"

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#193  Edited By natetodamax

Everyone makes mistakes. Your quick and meaningful response shows that you demonstrate a level of maturity that many people in the world simply lack. Don't beat yourself up over it! Judging by the responses in here, the community forgives you because we know that you're a better person than the usage of the word implies.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

There's no call whatsoever for this to go further now that he's made an apology, but I have a bad feeling that it will. Probably thanks to other people in the games press.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#195  Edited By trulyalive

@Demoskinos: Which is why I clarified that 'in my opinion' the words were not used in an offensive capacity.

As in *my opinion*. Which is mine. You can have yours too, I'm cool with that.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By zeforgotten
@Duffyside said:

@TentPole said:

@Duffyside said:

@ZombiePie said:

Heh, well, to be honest to ourselves, we obviously don't have any choice. Giant Bomb isn't much for user-input on these matters. I could flood this thread all day, it wouldn't make a dent. But, in the same principle, I felt compelled to at least let my distaste for the policy be said just once.

I think it's more of a "Rules of these forums" thing really. 
Allowing it to just stay up would be just as bad as suddenly letting everyone use the N-word anytime they felt like it. 
golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#197  Edited By golguin

There was a lot of joking in the chat but I don't believe anyone thinks it represented you as a person.

Hiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Hiver

You're a better man than I am Mr. Davis. After the immediate apology I'd shut my mouth and lapse into a shammed silence. All is forgiven here, but I wasn't personally offended to begin with. Just voicing my support for you as a person, even if you made a mistake.

Avatar image for posttimeskipsam
posttimeskipsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#199  Edited By posttimeskipsam

I wasn't able to catch the live stream, but reading the thread, I'm expecting the word to be bleeped or muted. Not sure if the context surrounding the word was also offensive, but hopefully not much will be edited from the archived version. I do want to see how everyone else reacts to what Ryan said. That being said, I'm glad Ryan wrote this apology.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Grillbar

having been following you and the guys for so long i know that nothing hurtful was implied, that it was plainly a burst of frustration and that the apology came quickly makes me feel like there was no hurtful thoughts behind even more.

so i personally think you are forgiven.