#1 Posted by Jtruls (9 posts) -

Recently went to a garage sale my little sister was running to raise money for charity and picked up a cheap DSi since it was the only thing there that interested me (i know im late to the DS party)

I plan on picking up pokemon black or white as well as new super mario bros (maybe zelda too) but apart from that i dont know whats good on it, keep in mind its not a 3DS

Also should mention im not big on jrpgs so i dont think i'll be picking up any of those but otherwise im pretty fair game

Tl;dr: need recommendations, no 3ds games though

#2 Edited by Justin258 (15647 posts) -

Radiant Historia. Chrono Trigger. All three Castlevania games (Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia). Megaman ZX 1 and 2. Megaman Zero Collection. Mario Kart DS. Maybe The Dark Spire, I've been looking for a copy of that for ages and never come across one, though I guess I should check Amazon at some point. There are plenty more good DS games but I don't really know what more to suggest, I wasn't playing many handheld games when the DS was in its heyday. People seem to like those Dragon Quest games that got remade on the 3DS.

Radiant Historia and Strange Journey are getting a re-release, so if you plan on getting a 3DS, you might want to play those on it. Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2 were remade on the 3DS and so were the SMT Devil Survivor games, so again, maybe get those on the 3DS. Etrian Odyssey's better entries (4 and, from what I understand, 5) are also on the 3DS, so maybe get those on the 3DS later.

EDIT: Silly me, I did not read the part where you aren't big on JRPG's. Those three Castlevania games are still must haves, as far as I'm concerned, and the Mega Man Zero Collection and Mega Man ZX games are pretty great, too.

#3 Posted by Zeik (5192 posts) -

Ace Attorney series (Phoenix Wright, Justice for All, Trials and Tribulations)

#4 Edited by super2j (2136 posts) -

Mario and luigi inside story is an rpg but a very delightful one, maybe check out a video?

There is also Ghost trick, its a fantastic and witty game, fully recommend it.

If Sonic forces bummed you out and you want a sonic game, I really enjoyed Sonic Rush. Its 2.5d, has a fun boost button, and is a great time.

And as @justin258 has already mentioned, castlevania dawn of sorrow (never got to ecclesia and no interest in portrait), and Chronotrigger are fantastic. I did play a lot of ZX, and its decent. I played the Zero games on gba and can confirm they are great.

#5 Edited by Robinson (239 posts) -

Hotel Dusk, Any Professor layton game, Aliens Infestation. mario kart ds, Ace Attorney games. 999. Picross DS. Last Window, Trace Memory. Meteos. Mario and Luigi: Bowsers inside story. Mario Vs DOnkey Kong; march of the minis. GTA Chinatown wars. INFINITE SPACE. Tetris. Ghost Trick. Chrono Trigger. That should keep you busy for awhile

#6 Posted by Rebel_Scum (1442 posts) -

Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow is really good for a Metroidvania game. But have you tried searching for previous threads? This has been asked before.

#7 Edited by Axersia (1926 posts) -

Well, I own 100 DS games, and 60% of them are JRPGs, so you're definitely missing out if that's not your thing. But that still leaves 40 games that aren't, so here goes:

The DS is home to arguably the best Castlevania titles. Definitely pick up all 3 of them if they're your thing, or start with Dawn of Sorrow if you've never played one before.

Mega Man Zero Collection are some excellent yet notoriously difficult side-scrollers. You could kill most of the difficulty in the GBA versions by grinding, but on the DS there's a new mode that's meant to be easy from the start if you just wanna breeze through.

Alice in Wonderland is technically a licensed game, but don't let that deter you. It's an incredibly charming puzzle platformer with great art design, whimsical characters and witty dialog. Very Tim Burton-esque.

For some hardcore touch-action you absolutely have to try the Trauma Center series. Likewise, Kirby's Canvas Curse/Power Paintbrush is one of the best uses of the touch screen, and Project Rub/Feel the Magic is another touch-action game with the kind of crazy Japanese style from Sega that you don't really see anymore. It also got a sequel that I never played.

For your visual novel/adventure kick there's an embarrassment of riches. The Ace Attorney series, Hotel Dusk and its sequel Last Window, Jack Hunter, Zero Escape 999, and even the Ubisoft launch game Sprung is pretty entertaining. LifeSigns is basically a hybrid between Trauma Center and Ace Attorney, but definitely leaning more towards the adventure portion, and not nearly as difficult on the touch-action. I personally found it to be kind of dull.

If you want something more Western-styled point 'n' click, there's Broken Sword, the Touch Detective series, and Miles Edgeworth Ace Attorney Investigations. You can even get Syberia 1 & 2, but supposedly those ports were pretty terrible.

I still don't really know what the Style Savvy/Style Boutique games are, but somehow I bought two of them. So there ya go. It's some sort of fashion-management sim thingy. If that's your thing you might wanna try Pop Cutie as well.

You may have already played it on other platforms, but Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is a puzzle RPG kinda game that came in the wake of Puzzle Quest but is arguably better than that. Puzzle Quest, of course, is also available on DS.

Speaking of more casual games, there's a bunch of PopCap stuff like Peggle, Plants vs Zombies and Bejeweled on DS.

Starting to get pretty tired of listing all these... Anyway...

Rhythm games, right. Get Rhythm Paradise/Heaven. And not to forget Elite Beat Agents, Ouendan, and Ouendan 2. There's also Jam with the Band, which was somewhat wanted because it was a Japan-exclusive for a long time, but I actually found it to be very dull and it's been mostly forgotten.

Gosh, am I done yet? *keeps scrolling through DS collection page*

Yeah, sure, that'll do. But if there's one non-Pokemon JRPG I'd recommend, it's definitely Dragon Quest IX. And for your first-person WRPG kick, be sure to get Orcs & Elves by John Carmack.

#8 Posted by JohnnyAutoFire (373 posts) -

Rhythm Heaven is pretty amazing.

https://www.giantbomb.com/rhythm-heaven/3030-21312/

#9 Posted by Jtruls (9 posts) -

Thanks guys lots of good stuff from the sounds of it, im a big fan of symphony of the night so i'll definitely look into the castlevanias first

Ive already got mk8 on my switch so don't think i'll bother with mario kart ds though

@rebel_scum: don't know why i didn't think of that, would've made more sense, though i imagine most of the recommendations on those threads would've been jrpg but idk

#10 Edited by Rebel_Scum (1442 posts) -

@jtruls: I only know because I've searched for the same thing :D