Need Headphone/Earbud Recommendations

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello All. I need help finding a good pair of Bluetooth headphones or earbuds. I'm willing to spend $75-$150 if I can find something that actually sounds good. I spend several hours a day walking (vigorously!) and with the weather in Ohio being stupid 9 months out of the year, I've moved to spending a lot of that on a treadmill indoors. Last night I was trying to walk (vigorously!) with a pair of corded sennheiser earbuds I've had for at least 5 years, hit the cord with my swinging arm and shot my phone (vigorously!) across the room. The earbuds are toast, and if I'm going to replace them, I'd rather move to Bluetooth to avoid the same problem. I've bought some cheaper $40-$50 pairs from Anker or someone else in the past, and they sounded okay, but were a litttle quiet and didn't really knock my socks off, so I'm looking for some help. It doesn't seem really possible to test earbuds out without doing a buy-and-return cycle, and I'd like to avoid that as much as I can because it seems like a lousy way to treat retailers and manufacturers. I'm hoping someone can provide some insight. I've tried reading reviews on sites like wirecutter, but cross checking what they recommend brings varied results from other reviews. I guess I'm hoping someone to find someone who just went through this and can say "yeah, I was in the same boat. Here's what I got and I'm happy with them."

I have always used earbuds, but I'm open to anything. Bear in mind, I will be using these for walking (vigorously!) so they will likely get sweaty, and they'll need to stay on my head. I listen to a fairly wide range of music, from rock to electronic to solo guitar and piano, so I'd like something with a good range (to be specific, when I wrecked my earbuds last night, I was listening to a playlist that had Stevie Ray Vaughan, Kill 'em All, Battletapes, Rodrigo y Gabriella, and the Peer Gynt suite on piano). I don't need super-thumping bass or anything, just a rich tone and something that doesn't sound like the headphones are five feet from my head.

Any help is appreciated!

Avatar image for deactivated-6109c8479bb3d
deactivated-6109c8479bb3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

I've been a big fan of the Shure SE215. Clear mids and treble, slightly less emphasis on bass.

Best In-Ear Monitors I've ever used, and they've recently released (a few weeks ago) a Bluetooth version.

These hook over your ear with memory-wire, instead of putting pressure downwards on your intertragic notch. Highly unlikely to pop off with a bit of pressure. Personally, no issues with long hair nor glasses.

Favorite thing about these buds: you can pop-off the earbuds separately and replace just the cord. Most headphone breakage happens because of the cord, not the actual drivers. This will keep you from buying wholly complete new ones every time something breaks.

I simply bought the new Bluetooth cord, and attached the earbuds I already had.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I've been using Sennheiser mm100s for the past 7 years; comfortable, never fall off so they are great for working out/jogging.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wirecutter is great for these types of questions.

I've been using Sennheiser mm100s for the past 7 years; comfortable, never fall off so they are great for working out/jogging.

I've had them for like five. They are so good. Not the best for music but I listen to podcasts most of the time. The internal logic occasionally goes wonky, requiring a plug-in to a power outlet to reset it, but other than that, it is so comfortable.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The Wirecutter is a good place to start, but I have had mediocre experiences going with their advice...something their advice is very sound...something I think"what they hell were they thinking?"

Since I don't used my headphones during active sports or working out, I would be hard pressed to give any advice you should use. Good luck.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever you're going to get, I'd highly recommend waiting to buy something until later this month to take advantage of Black Friday/Cyber Monday pricing.

The last pair of headphones I bought were close to 70% off from $120 that weekend.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Shure do the best in ears in my honest opinion.

I've been a lover of shure products since getting their incredible SRH1540 Headphone and bought (as recommended above) the SE215s. Their products are always built far better than anything else in their price range (from experience) and are incredibly comfortable. ALSO they have stupidly balanced sound for their price bracket no matter what product you get.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd consider the Bose SoundSport Wireless.

I have the wired SoundSports, which feel great to wear since they don't rely on being plugged into your ear canal to stay in place, the stability tip things keep them in place well enough that I'm never worrying about them falling out or adjusting them (which is a first for me), and they sound good to me but apparently the wireless model boasts better sound quality. They're not designed for isolation, which makes sense because you probably want to hear cars before they hit you.

Anyway, good luck in your search. I've recently agonized over shopping for headphones for my desktop for a few weeks (I ended up going for the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless, I'd heard mixed things about their sound quality but they felt and sounded good in-store and I wanted to minimize leakage), so I know your pain.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ikabubu: thanks for this (and to everyone who made suggestions)! I'm leaning towards these from Shure. I've used their mics at a previous job and their products were leaps and bounds above the other stuff we tried, so I'd like to give their earbuds a shot. I think I am going to keep an eye these over the next few weeks and see if there are any sales, but will likely to end up giving them a try either way.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, everybody!

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By EthanielRain

I don't know about the actual headphones, but I like the rubber tips/coverings/whatever of Yurbuds. They're the only thing that actually stays in my ear and doesn't need constant readjustment or anything.