Avatar image for stutteringbilly
StutteringBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StutteringBilly

I have a upcoming interview for a World Builder position for a upcoming 2D MMO.

I'm collecting and burning through as much content as I can, to get ready for the interview. What games(I'm looking for 2D games) have you played where the level design really stood out. While games like Super Meat Boy are great 2D games, being that this is a casual MMO, I'm looking more along the lines of Maple Story or Neosaurs and not pixel perfect platformers (if something really stood out in this genre though, please list it)

Please post any game where the level design stood out to you, it could be from visuals, technical or both.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Super Metroid, maybe? You should probably explain what type of 2D, since there's more than one.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By ch3burashka

When listing standout 2D design, Mega Man and the like come to mind. However, that would into the pixel-perfect category. 

Personally, I think the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy (and the new Returns, as well) were and are the epitome of 2D level design. 

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

Critically underrated, but I fucking loved Muramasa.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By vaiz

I don't care what anyone says, the original Sonic games had fucking great level design. Particularly CD, that shit was complex as hell in later levels.

Avatar image for stutteringbilly
StutteringBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By StutteringBilly

Good stuff, keep it coming

Soulglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Soulglove

Knytt, VVVVVV. Do you own research!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman

Castlevania SOTN, Limbo, Braid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Kirby's Epic Yarn

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By mesklinite

Maple story is a great place to start.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer

Honestly, I think the problem with these 2D MMO's like Maple Story is the fact that they have pixel- imperfect platforming.  The main reason I burn out on these games is because it's such a PITA to get around the environment.  Ledges are poorly distributed and spaced so there's a lot of missed jumps and aimlessly running around.  The 2D sections of Legend of the Mystical Ninja for SNES come to mind as good action/platformery stuff.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By stinky

dont start naming off other games. they want to know you can think and problem solve, talk about things you like, problems you've run into and show you are interested.  
any fool can google up examples, they won't be interested in hearing that.  

relax, don't think too much about what you think they want to hear.  hate to say this but "be yourself." that cliche is true. 

good luck.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By Icemael

As if there could be standout level design in a casual 2D MMO.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By animateria
@benjaebe said:
" Critically underrated, but I fucking loved Muramasa. "
More of a side-scrolling beat em up than a platformer really. 

Beautiful art though.
MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By MudMan

Somebody mentioned Muramasa, but Odin Sphere was more apropos to MMO design. It was built on RPG stats to begin with, and it did clever stuff with crafting. You planted seeds that then grew and produced materials that you could use to craft or consume. Some fruits in turn provided seeds themselves when consumed. Clever! 

Also, all levels were a cylinder, looping over themselves, so they really made for a seamless level with very little in the way of actual background assets. Again, clever.  

And they did safe zones and combat zones like this. And an interconnected network of these that you could navigate with a map. And shops and restaurants and other metagame environments in this way, too. 

Ironically, in the exact opposite direction I also find the Dizzy series to be interesting. No direction, open world, limited inventory slots and lots of trial and error. It requires a lot more player agency and engagement, but it's a way to look at how to create a hub-less, seamless open 2D world that is still manageable to navigate thanks to both landmarks, good gating and guidance through pure level design. 

@punkxblaze said: 

" I don't care what anyone says, the original Sonic games had fucking great level design. Particularly CD, that shit was complex as hell in later levels. "

This is so true.   

Sonic is a great innovator in 2D platform design. It laid levels in overlapping paths, top middle and bottom, with bonus rings and items consistently at the top and the normal route being the middle. At the bottom there were hazards like spikes, water and bottomless pits. So if you're good you stay at the top and get extra stuff. If you fail to stay there, you drop to a still good middle ground and if you fail that you drop into the danger zone. That means that while in the middle path you can speed up at your heart's content and not care if you make a mistake. If you're trying to build up lives you want to take it a bit slower at the top, but the penalty for failure is small. If you drop to the bottom, you want to get there as soon as possible, but also be extra careful to not die. And on top of all that, there is a third, "time attack" path by taking the fastest routes across all three levels for expert players. 

Great level design that changed how the game was played and guided reward and punishment without the need for additional mechanics. Very elegant, and there is much more to it than people give it credit for. Not a very good fit to extract MMO concepts from it, though. 
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Black_Rose

Does Donkey Kong Country Returns count? Cause that has an amazing level design. 

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#18  Edited By StarvingGamer
@stinky: You might want to try reading rather than vomiting up your sage advice.  "I'm collecting and burning through as much content as I can, to get ready for the interview."