New Bombcast confirms: Private TF2 Servers for subscribers!

LumpOfCole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LumpOfCole

They mentioned on the cast Private TF2 Servers for subscribers: East Coast, West Coast, and Europe.

They also mentioned a password system, and this is the reason for the post: I wish to present an alternative to a rotating password system. There is a community of TF2 (and other games) called No-Heroes which implements a much more accessible system. [ http://www.no-heroes.com/ ] I would like that system to be implemented for Subscriber TF2 servers instead of a password. The No-Heroes servers are fully public, but there are always reserved spots for paying 'VIP' members which costs $4 a month there. If the No-Heroes servers are full and a VIP member joins, the server will boot a random non-VIP player to make room. This system is much preferred to a password system for a multitude of reasons: It's a hassle to have to look up a constantly changing password, and it's usually very hard to fill a subscriber-only server of anything (who wants to play serious TF2 on a server with 3/32 players? No one).

Giant Bomb already tracks Steam 'achievements,' so they'll know what usernames belong to subscribers and non-subscribers already.

So to Giant Bomb / Whiskey Media: I plead to you to implement this sort of feature instead of a password for your upcoming TF2 servers. It's a far better alternative on nearly every front.

jimmy5150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By jimmy5150

Yeah I remember quite a few independently run servers in my counterstrike days that had a similar system and it worked really well. 

Also, the idea of subscribers having priority access to TF2 (and maybe other multiplayer games in the future) servers is really great.  I can't wait to see what other benefits the Whiskey Media crew comes up with!

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rockanomics

Only problem is the shitty experience the unlucky people get when they are kicked out mid game for doing nothing wrong.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By metal_mills

Australia? :'(

GioSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By GioSpy

I'll subscribe if they put a server in Australia.

LumpOfCole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LumpOfCole

.@Rockanomics said:

" Only problem is the shitty experience the unlucky people get when they are kicked out mid game for doing nothing wrong. "

It's better to have the problem of being too full than too empty
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By manhattan_project
@Rockanomics said:
" Only problem is the shitty experience the unlucky people get when they are kicked out mid game for doing nothing wrong. "
Than they can pay 5 dollars.
electricfuzz9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By electricfuzz9

Reserved slots are common on most tf2 servers so it shouldn't be too hard to implement. I definitely think that reserved slots are the better way to go. I really don't know how many subscribers would take advantage of the servers, but I have a feeling that the numbers would drop off pretty quickly, so the server should be semi-public.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By hexogen

Seems to me like they'd have trouble keeping it full when restricting it to subscribers. I mean, how often is the server full, even when not limited to subscribers? Every time I boot up TF2 to check it says there are 0 people in it. Is there something wrong with my game or is that just how it is?

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#10  Edited By falconer

The thing is, after the initial awesomeness of them making a server, there's no one playing on there anymore. At least as of a couple weeks ago when I still played regularly. I dunno, maybe this will bring more people back, but even as someone who LOVES TF2 I'm kinda meh about this.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By RobotHamster

Niiiice I love me some TF2.

minorinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By minorinya
@Hexogen said:
" Seems to me like they'd have trouble keeping it full when restricting it to subscribers. I mean, how often is the server full, even when not limited to subscribers? Every time I boot up TF2 to check it says there are 0 people in it. Is there something wrong with my game or is that just how it is? "
Yeah, this... does the Giantbomb/Tested TF2 server even work? Am I doing something wrong...?
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Rockanomics said:
Simple: put a warning in each game. "Warning: subscribers will receive preferential treatment; if a match becomes too full, non-subscribers will be forced out of the game before subscribers."
rook538

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By rook538

It seems like there's hardly anyone going on the regular server, why would three seperate servers that can only be filled by subscribers get much traffic?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@LumpOfCole said:
"

They mentioned on the cast Private TF2 Servers for subscribers: East Coast, West Coast, and Europe.

They also mentioned a password system, and this is the reason for the post: I wish to present an alternative to a rotating password system. There is a community of TF2 (and other games) called No-Heroes which implements a much more accessible system. [ http://www.no-heroes.com/ ] I would like that system to be implemented for Subscriber TF2 servers instead of a password. The No-Heroes servers are fully public, but there are always reserved spots for paying 'VIP' members which costs $4 a month there. If the No-Heroes servers are full and a VIP member joins, the server will boot a random non-VIP player to make room. This system is much preferred to a password system for a multitude of reasons: It's a hassle to have to look up a constantly changing password, and it's usually very hard to fill a subscriber-only server of anything (who wants to play serious TF2 on a server with 3/32 players? No one).

Giant Bomb already tracks Steam 'achievements,' so they'll know what usernames belong to subscribers and non-subscribers already.

So to Giant Bomb / Whiskey Media: I plead to you to implement this sort of feature instead of a password for your upcoming TF2 servers. It's a far better alternative on nearly every front.

"
The current TF2 server for GB and tested NEVER has anyone on it.  

Waste of money. I play daily and never see even one person on it. 
Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Feanor
@Rockanomics: Thats a common thing on TF2 servers. Servers will have reserved spots for people who donate to that server.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@LumpOfCole said:
" .@Rockanomics said:
It's better to have the problem of being too full than too empty "
The GB TF2 server has not been full since like a week after the TNT. After that. All ways empty. 
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Brendan

Cool idea, but is there enough people to fill the spots?  I don't play TF2, so I have no expert knowledge.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @LumpOfCole said:
" .@Rockanomics said:
The GB TF2 server has not been full since like a week after the TNT. After that. All ways empty.  "
I have played more than a few matches weeks after the TNT with the server being full.  The problem is that people are not willing to enter unless they notice maybe 7-10 inside, however once they do notice that the server has some people the server ALWAYS gets full in minutes.  Just get some friends in there, get a small game going and people will join.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Resident4t said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @LumpOfCole said:
" .@Rockanomics said:
The GB TF2 server has not been full since like a week after the TNT. After that. All ways empty.  "
I have played more than a few matches weeks after the TNT with the server being full.  The problem is that people are not willing to enter unless they notice maybe 7-10 inside, however once they do notice that the server has some people the server ALWAYS gets full in minutes.  Just get some friends in there, get a small game going and people will join. "
I have tried that. Got 6 people in. No one joined. 
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By LeetBalla

Very cool.

DrGeneDangoMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DrGeneDangoMD

Agree with the OP. It would be much better public with subscribers being VIP's.

Avatar image for hyper_bunny_meow
Hyper_Bunny_Meow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Hyper_Bunny_Meow

Like many others everytime I have tried to go on the GB/Tested server appart from the first couple of weeks it was up it has been empty. I even had the chance to play with and against Will from tested a couple of times which was good fun. Now my biggest problem is that if we seperate the servers by region I will never get to play with many of the community or any of the staff.   

There is bound to me far more community members who are in the USA as oppposed to Europe and other areas which could really kill some servers and not let us join the busy ones.