NEW SITE HAS ARRIVED! Thoughts?

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I really miss latest forum topics on the frontpage. I was hoping that would come back for the live site. Guess not.

rotten_avocado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#302  Edited By rotten_avocado

I'm one of those people who takes a little while to adapt to change. I think it'll be okay. It is running slow right now, but I'm sure that'll change in the future. One of the huge, and I mean HUGE, improvements is the way you navigate the video pages. For example, navigating the quicklook videos used to be very painful, but now it seems much much better. Thank you!!

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm missing the forums on the homepage.

Also the design is beautiful but some areas have a lot of "visual noise", some parts of the site were easier to read at a glance on the old design.

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the new layout, it's much slicker.

The input field for posts and comments is also less frustrating to use. It makes me not want to avoid the forum anymore. Though, a plaintext input field would still be nice.

Avatar image for 1m4d34g4m3w1thz0mb13s
1m4d34g4m3w1thz0mb13s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice rip-off of Polygon/TheVerge.

katelyngadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What happened to the little schedule on the front page showing when stuff is going live on the site? I really liked that. :(

strikehavok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By strikehavok

Site looks nice, a little rough around the edges but I give it 5 Batmans.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool

biff6767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@1m4d34g4m3w1thz0mb13s: Let me know when the whole bomb crew go to those sites. I don't even care whenever i visit this site a strong shit smell comes from my PC. It's the content that matters.

Krabonq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By Krabonq

It's really pretty bad.

Now it's a page for kids that need everything big, spectacular and flashy. It's a style over substance layout.

There's WAY too much spacing and padding and in general it's a layout that may fit some tablet crap, but it's just obnoxious to look at and navigate on a PC. If this is the direction GB is going to go, then I don't want to be part of it anymore.

And you know what the worst part is ? Like most other abysmal site redesigns (e.g. GameTrailers, IGN, YouTube), it will stay because it's new and been paid for. No matter how loud the community goes against it. Nobody would like to admit they've wasted their money on something like this, so they can't go back.

At least give us some way to scale between this fucking huge layout and a more compact layout for people that care about the content and want to actually use this site for more than just the most recent video...

biff6767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krabonq: It breaks when you "zoom" in. I expect that to happen to the sites i make but not a freaking site like giant bomb. i have no idea why they launched like this. sure, scaling is a bitch to figure out but these guys are pros.

still content wins all

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#312  Edited By ZenaxPure

Man I hate to mimic what others have been saying but.... why is everything so huge now? When I first came to the site I thought I had accidentally zoomed in with chrome, but, nope it was sitting at 100%. All the text is just too big now and it feels weird to actually have to scroll down on the home page to see the highlighted videos/articles which seems ironic because I thought their function was to be a quick glance of new stuff on the site.

Also really miss the achievement tracking since it was without a doubt the best feature of the site imo, but, given the explanation as to why it's gone I guess I understand, will say though it means I will probably end up visiting the site less often.

frankepooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the new site but i cant seem to find the schedule, it would seem stupid to not include it on the new site.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I really like it. I can see how/why some people have issues with sizes and spacing, but it doesn't really bother me. I'm not sure if it's just because it's new and I'm just excited, but, at this moment in time, I can safely say I like the new site better than the old one.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@idbloc: Right, but I wasn't necessarily talking about my own activity. I liked to see a summary of what was being talked about on the forums without needing to actually go into the forums page.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm mostly into it. I do miss the top games by year list you used to get from the Games menu and the forum topics on the front page.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm... mostly indifferent. The look is very similar to the old site except for some larger thumbnails and slightly different layout here and there.

That and yeah, slow, and lots of 500 errors today. And having to click post reply twice to actually post fairly often...

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm... mostly indifferent. The look is very similar to the old site except for some larger thumbnails and slightly different layout here and there.

That and yeah, slow, and lots of 500 errors today. And having to click post reply twice to actually post fairly often...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing videos on an external monitor on a mac is fucking crap!!!!!!!!!!

It works like most mac external monitor applications where the main monitor becomes useless...

I immediately miss the old player.

watching videos on giantbomb for me now sucks...

Killaclause

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320  Edited By Killaclause

I think the site is great, I resize the window all the time when i am working and it is great that now the content resizes with me.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss the recent forum activity section on the front page, as that was really nice.

Mostly indifferent about the rest of the site. Preferred the old one simply due to familiarity; never went to Seaserpent much, but I suppose I'll get used to this. Everything seems larger.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexisg: Nope still busted.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Firefox 18.0.2

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#323  Edited By Vinchenzo

Front page design is acceptable, forums are ugly.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324  Edited By ghost_cat

It needs another visit from Green-Suit Vinny.

sanzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first I didn't like it. It felt too minimalist. I don't go to GiantBomb.com very much, I mostly watch the videos on YouTube. But with the new site launch... I'm just really digging it. I'm not sure if the video player was good before but it feels great now. Everything is so accessible from one page, rather than having to go to different pages to experience different features. It just feels crisp and slick and easy to navigate. However, I agree with some others: forums aren't so pretty.

webrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#326  Edited By webrunner

Anyone else having the same problem with the video player I am? I can't see the video- it just appears as a black rectangle, but I can hear it.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#327  Edited By grilledcheez

All the text on the front pages looks weird, even in the news stories. The bold text for suggested videos to the right of a news story is almost unreadable. It's going to take awhile to get used to.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#328  Edited By grilledcheez

All the text on the front pages looks weird, even in the news stories. The bold text for suggested videos to the right of a news story is almost unreadable. It's going to take awhile to get used to.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329  Edited By topsteer

I miss the forum section at the bottom, anyone know if there's a way to get it back? If not, can you view like the most popular topics somehow? I can't seem to find it

Just click on the Forums button in the upper right and it will take you to the recent topics.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331  Edited By superfriend

I´m trying to decide if the white version is actually better than the darker one.. I´ve said it before, but I have issues reading some of the longer forum posts.

Something just feels weird about the text when there´s more than just a couple of short sentences.

It´s also slow as fuck. But I guess that is to be expected these days. Nothing launches in a bug free state :(

Edit: Goddamn doublepost! I blame it on the broken site.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#332  Edited By BeachThunder

:( Adding concepts/objects to a game page is really clunky and broken ;_;

Jazz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the new look but it really sucks that there are no forums on the frontpage anymore.

gpink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I like it a whole lot. A few things to be ironed out, and a few things I'd like to see.

Things I especially like:

• The new WYSIWYG editor. It's very responsive, adding things like lists, and having spoiler buttons is really nice. The clean button getting rid of the spaces between sentences is the only thing I might change. Oxford 1 space ruuuuules.
  • The pinning of videos. Really nice idea.
  • The return of staff Twitter feeds on the front page.

Things I'd like to see:

• Twitter integration into profiles fixed. I'd update my status a whole lot more if it was made my status message as well.
  • New Games section List sort mode without thumbnails, or with very small thumbnails.

Can't think of too many others off the top of my head. Generally, the update makes the site very appealing to use.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#335  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Latest forums posts need to come back to the main page. They seemed to really help promote discussions and without it, it seems a lot of posts are going to get missed by people who don't visit specific sections. I'm not sure I understand the logic behind removing them and the tweet section seems pointless. Anyone who cares about twitter stuff probably already follows the staff on there anyway.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from the expected Error 500s over and over again it's pretty much what the beta was.

So I'm good

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339  Edited By Ravelle

The coming up next column is all weird, it only shows one item.

thornie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it! It really looks great. The old site was starting to look really dated and clunky. I'm really digging the color balance between the lights and the darks. Very good design.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm not a fan of the design. The lack of the forums in the front page, the new layout of the forums, the whole front page layout don't appeal to me.

Personally I posted a quite a bit because of how accessible the forums were in the front page, and with this design I have to drag myself to look for the forums. While it is a mininal effort it makes a difference when comes to reading, answering and posting threads.

I also don't have twitter nor I care about it so I feel indiferent about the tweets.

Perclank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The old site design was one of my favourite layouts around, I didn't think it could be topped. Glad to say I was wrong, it's great!

katelyngadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh good, the 'coming up' schedule is there, it just disappears when there's nothing to list.

@rafaelfc said:

Playing videos on an external monitor on a mac is fucking crap!!!!!!!!!!

It works like most mac external monitor applications where the main monitor becomes useless...

I immediately miss the old player.

watching videos on giantbomb for me now sucks...

That's not GiantBomb, that's your mac. Apple changed the way fullscreen works so anything that obeys their guidelines will do that. GB is using your browser's fullscreen feature, which is why it's doing that. The old player was probably using Flash (which I assume doesn't obey Apple's guidelines). Annoyingly enough, even Quicktime for Windows disables your other monitors. :/

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought I was on gamespot for a second when the site loaded and this weird speech bubble thing makes it look like a comments section instead of a forum. The content is there and the forums are intact so I don't care either way.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345  Edited By koolaid

I like the design a lot... but I'm bummed on what they took out. No quests or S-ranks anymore? And why is the forum not on the front page anymore? Hopefully they are open to feedback.

Edit: Something I like: My comments now look like Mayor Haggar is talking through a speech bubble! I like that! Though I wish the membership badge didn't cover up so much of my icon...

loppys9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think a little more time with the site is needed before judging it....Yeah it's pretty good.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348  Edited By LikeaSsur

I'm here to say that I'm liking everything so far. I really cannot wrap my head around people wanting forum posts on the front page when they can just click on the "forums" button. The text is a little big, but hey, sometimes I sit far away from the monitor.

I love pinning a video to the top of the screen and scrolling through the comments, it's fantastic.

Staff tweets on the front page are whatever, I follow them anyway. The rest of the front page looks fine, it's just a flashier version of what used to be there.

All in all, it's a good design. Good job, Dave and Co.!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Request: At the end/bottom of a thread, I'd like a "To the Top" button that scrolls our browser back to the top of the page where the menus are.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

New site looks DOPE on my phone!