New to gaming / Need headset advice

jayuubrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Getting into gaming with my 10 yo son. He wants us to get headsets but I cant see spending tons on these. Looking at a $50 one, any feedback on this one or others in that $50 range??? https://amzn.to/2RQCasv

thanks,

James

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

@jayuubrown: I have never heard of that brand, which isn't necessarily bad, but it's hard to say with any confidence what the quality would be. Honestly, a $50 price point is tough for a headset, because you're likely going to have to make some significant compromises in aesthetics, comfort, and/or sound quality as compared to slightly more expensive products. Heck, even with those more expensive ones, some of those same compromises must be made (but to a lesser extent). If I was buying a headset in that tier, I'd probably go with either the Corsair HS60 Pro or the HyperX Cloud. The linked version of the Cloud is PlayStation branded, but it will work with anything that has a 3.5mm headphone jack. There's nothing specific to the PlayStation that I know of with it.

I have slightly upgraded versions of both, and they're both good headsets. I think the sound profile is better on the Corsair, as it tends to be more neutral. The HyperX tends more toward bass accentuation, which is fun for heavy action stuff like first-person shooters, but can muddy more nuanced mid-range sounds. The HyperX, however, might be the most comfortable headphones I've ever put on out of the box. They're just extremely well padded, and have a nearly perfect amount of clamping force, even if you wear glasses. I can wear them all day with no discomfort or fatigue. With the Corsair set I have, they are initially also very comfortable, but after a while, the top of my ear will start to hurt, and I realized that it is because they touch the interior plastic frame covering the drivers. The earpads are just not thick enough to prevent my ears from doing so, but everyone's physiology is different, so it may not be a problem for others. The earpads on the HyperX are removable and replaceable, whereas the ones on the Corsair are not.

Generally, right now is not the best time to be shopping for headsets because more people are at home both playing and working remotely, and there's been a run on them. The link you provided indicated that Amazon doesn't actually have that headset in stock. The two I listed have in stock dates of later this and next week, so it will take longer to get your product, or you may have to pay more than normal via a third-party seller. Good luck!

Edit: Sorry, the links I added before didn't save, so I've included them now.