New video card, no display.

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60

I just picked up my new video card, and I have it all put in correctly, but I can't for the life of me get it working. The fan on it surges a few times, then it starts going normally, but I get no picture.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Did you completely uninstall your old drivers? Otherwise, if it has 2 DVI outputs on it, try the other one.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SomeJerk

Sure all those extra power plugs on the video card have been plugged in right? And that the power supply can deliver enough juice?

Take everything non-essential out besides the graphics card and try again, even optical drives and PCI/PCIe cards, and try again, if possible, or just reseat them, and all the other cables.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CL60
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" Did you completely uninstall your old drivers? "
I believe so.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@somejerk said:
" Sure all those extra power plugs on the video card have been plugged in right? And that the power supply can deliver enough juice?  Take everything non-essential out besides the graphics card and try again, even optical drives and PCI/PCIe cards, and try again, if possible, or just reseat them, and all the other cables. "
That's what I was thinking...
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@CL60 said:

" @wolf_blitzer85 said:

I believe so. "
Double check that. You could try doing a clean uninstall with driver sweeper. If you're not familiar with it, just make sure you pick the video drivers to clean. My first time I used it, I accidentally cleaned ALL of my drivers, including my mobo. That was a fun surprise. Otherwise, yeah do what the other guys are saying and try and do a barebones start with just the card going in. Remember this is a big card. You can't just shove it in. You gotta slowly force it in. Passionately.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @CL60 said:

" @wolf_blitzer85 said:

I believe so. "
Double check that. You could try doing a clean uninstall with driver sweeper. If you're not familiar with it, just make sure you pick the video drivers to clean. My first time I used it, I accidentally cleaned ALL of my drivers, including my mobo. That was a fun surprise. Otherwise, yeah do what the other guys are saying and try and do a barebones start with just the card going in. Remember this is a big card. You can't just shove it in. You gotta slowly force it in. Passionately. "
Drivers aren't relevant, if he isn't getting a picture when the BIOS is booting up.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
" @CL60 said:

" @wolf_blitzer85 said:

I believe so. "
Double check that. You could try doing a clean uninstall with driver sweeper. If you're not familiar with it, just make sure you pick the video drivers to clean. My first time I used it, I accidentally cleaned ALL of my drivers, including my mobo. That was a fun surprise. Otherwise, yeah do what the other guys are saying and try and do a barebones start with just the card going in. Remember this is a big card. You can't just shove it in. You gotta slowly force it in. Passionately. "
Drivers aren't relevant, if he isn't getting a picture when the BIOS is booting up. "
In that case you could just remove the card and reset the cmos by removing the battery on the mobo. If I remember correctly that's what did if for me when I was trying to put in my GTX 260. 
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60

I've tried everything. Whatever I do I get no picture.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By JoeyRavn
@CL60 said:
" I've tried everything. Whatever I do I get no picture. "
System specs would be useful.
FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FritzDude

Put in your old card. Install it using the CD that came with it, or go online and install the drivers. Then uninstall it properly, then put in your new card.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CL60
@FritzDude said:
" Put in your old card. Install it using the CD that came with it, or go online and install the drivers. Then uninstall it properly, then put in your new card. "
My old card is dead. Which is why I bought the new card.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

Everybody watch your backs! A Hitman'sa comin'.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By august

Can you boot using the onboard video?

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@CL60 said:

" I've tried everything. Whatever I do I get no picture. "

How many beeps are you getting when the computer starts up? Is the bios posting or is it just hanging with the fans spinning? 
It could be that something on your motherboard might have taken a dump. When you loaded it with the onboard graphics it still had problems right? If everything is acting all goofy, I would try and unhook everything from the board. Even all your ram except for 1gb, and keep your hd plugged in, but that's about it. Power it up and see if the bios posts correctly. It's a little extreme, but if you're out of options, it's worth a shot.  

Also what kind of motherboard do you have? Is it one that came with a prebuilt PC or one that you installed yourself? Oh and did you do a clean install of Windows 7 yet? Lot's of questions I know, but we can at least try to narrow this bitch down to something.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60
@wolf_blitzer85: Installed myself.
wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
@CL60 said:
" @wolf_blitzer85: Installed myself. "
Then I say strip it naked it and see if it boots.
Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Liminality

Does your motherboard has an onboard graphic card? if so, it may be displaying the video through that.

darichardson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By darichardson
@CL60:  We really need more info to help.

1) What type of system do you have? Prebuilt (Dell, HP, etc...), built yourself?
2) What are your system specs?
3) Is the card PCI-Express?
4) What happened when your graphics card stopped working? Is it possible you also lost your motherboard in whatever happened?
5) Are you getting a BIOS screen? Or nothing at all?

Any info you can give would be helpful.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60
@darichardson said:
" @CL60:  We really need more info to help.  1) What type of system do you have? Prebuilt (Dell, HP, etc...), built yourself? 2) What are your system specs? 3) Is the card PCI-Express? 4) What happened when your graphics card stopped working? Is it possible you also lost your motherboard in whatever happened? 5) Are you getting a BIOS screen? Or nothing at all?  Any info you can give would be helpful. "
It's built entirely myself, yes, it's PCI-Express, whenever I tried playing a game or watching HD video on my old card red dots would go everywhere on the screen and I would freeze/crash. The motherboard is generally new, so I would hope not. No I'm getting nothing at all.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21  Edited By Geno
@CL60 said:
" @darichardson said:
" @CL60:  We really need more info to help.  1) What type of system do you have? Prebuilt (Dell, HP, etc...), built yourself? 2) What are your system specs? 3) Is the card PCI-Express? 4) What happened when your graphics card stopped working? Is it possible you also lost your motherboard in whatever happened? 5) Are you getting a BIOS screen? Or nothing at all?  Any info you can give would be helpful. "
It's built entirely myself, yes, it's PCI-Express, whenever I tried playing a game or watching HD video on my old card red dots would go everywhere on the screen and I would freeze/crash. The motherboard is generally new, so I would hope not. No I'm getting nothing at all. "
So you're not getting any picture -at all-, or you're going through the BIOS and you just don't get any picture when Windows loads? 
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CL60
@Geno said:
" @CL60 said:
" @darichardson said:
It's built entirely myself, yes, it's PCI-Express, whenever I tried playing a game or watching HD video on my old card red dots would go everywhere on the screen and I would freeze/crash. The motherboard is generally new, so I would hope not. No I'm getting nothing at all. "
So you're not getting any picture -at all-, or you're going through the BIOS and you just don't get any picture when Windows loads?  "
I get nothing at all. Just black.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By ch13696

If you tried everything and you're still not getting anything on the screen, then it could be a bad graphic card. Yes, the fan will work, but that's separate from the graphic card. Where did you get the card and what kind is it?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Geno
@CL60: A few things you could try: 

1) Try the other DVI jack
2) Make sure everything is secured firmly (DVI cord, 6/8 pin power connectors, PCIe) 
3) Clean both the PCIe 2.0 slot and the DVI jack for dust 
4) Reset CMOS. Your motherboard may still be "looking for" your old card, so it won't recognize the new one. If you clear it then it will detect any new hardware.  
5) Try another PCIe 2.0 slot if you have one
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#25  Edited By BeachThunder

Can you tell us your PSU?

darichardson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By darichardson

Honestly, it sounds to me like the card isn't seated properly, or it just isn't compatible with your particular motherboard. I assume you've tried re-seating it, so can you give me what your motherboard is and your video card, just to make sure?

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JoeyRavn

I don't really understand how we can be talking about hardware, of all things, without naming the brand and models we're using.

Also, I really don't know what type of output you're using. If it happens to be VGA, make sure you're actually plugging it to the GPU, not to the VGA output of the motherboard. It may sound stupid, but more than once I've fallen into that trap, trying to plug everything as fast as possible.

darichardson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By darichardson
@JoeyRavn said:

" I don't really understand how we can be talking about hardware, of all things, without naming the brand and models we're using. Also, I really don't know what type of output you're using. If it happens to be VGA, make sure you're actually plugging it to the GPU, not to the VGA output of the motherboard. It may sound stupid, but more than once I've fallen into that trap, trying to plug everything as fast as possible. "

Agree with all of this.

@Geno

said:

" @CL60: A few things you could try:  1) Try the other DVI jack2) Make sure everything is secured firmly (DVI cord, 6/8 pin power connectors, PCIe) 3) Clean both the PCIe 2.0 slot and the DVI jack for dust 4) Reset CMOS. Your motherboard may still be "looking for" your old card, so it won't recognize the new one. If you clear it then it will detect any new hardware.  5) Try another PCIe 2.0 slot if you have one " 

Also agree with all of this, particularly #4.

It's also really important to know your PSU, as it may not be powerful enough to power the graphics card.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BeachThunder
@JoeyRavn said:
" I don't really understand how we can be talking about hardware, of all things, without naming the brand and models we're using. Also, I really don't know what type of output you're using. If it happens to be VGA, make sure you're actually plugging it to the GPU, not to the VGA output of the motherboard. It may sound stupid, but more than once I've fallen into that trap, trying to plug everything as fast as possible. "
His GPU is a 460 SE. He mentioned this in another thread.

Anyway, about the PSU (don't quote me exactly), but I believe you should be using a PSU with at least 600w continuous power.
darichardson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By darichardson

I went back and read your previous thread, and I'm starting to suspect that the PSU is the problem here, not the video card. I read that you replaced the PSU recently (because your original was borked), and I suspect that they may have sent you another bad one. In fact, I wouldn't be totally surprised if your old GPU is fine and just wasn't getting a good draw from the PSU, but that it was getting JUST ENOUGH to boot and run basic windows.

Does your onboard video still work? This question has been asked three times in this thread and you haven't responded to it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CL60
@BeachThunder: The box says 450w 

@darichardson said:
" I went back and read your previous thread, and I'm starting to suspect that the PSU is the problem here, not the video card. I read that you replaced the PSU recently (because your original was borked), and I suspect that they may have sent you another bad one. In fact, I wouldn't be totally surprised if your old GPU is fine and just wasn't getting a good draw from the PSU, but that it was getting JUST ENOUGH to boot and run basic windows.  Does your onboard video still work? This question has been asked three times in this thread and you haven't responded to it. "

I don't have onboard video. And I doubt it was my PSU failing. I know what that looks like, and that wasn't it.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Geno

450W should be enough for a 460 SE. 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BeachThunder
@Geno said:

" 450W should be enough for a 460 SE.  "

Hm, I stand corrected. I won't doubt you, but I went out and bought a 650 for my new graphics card.

Annnyway, CL50, do you know the model or brand of your PSU?

Edit: actually, don't bother if you're 100% sure it's not the PSU =|
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Geno
@BeachThunder said:
" @Geno said:

" 450W should be enough for a 460 SE.  "

Hm, I stand corrected. I won't doubt you, but I went out and bought a 650 for my new graphics card.

Annnyway, CL50, do you know the model or brand of your PSU?

Edit: actually, don't bother if you're 100% sure it's not the PSU =| "
It shouldn't be ruled out that it's his PSU since lower wattage PSU's also tend to be lower end and have more issues, but 450W should at least be enough for startup.
darichardson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By darichardson
@Geno: 450W is pretty low, but it should at least turn on, I agree.

Unless it was also failing or running underpowered. Power supplies fail in different ways, it doesn't always happen the same. They don't always fail all at once. Sometimes they provide less power than they are rated. 

Here's what it comes down to. It's either your power supply or your video card. Without a replacement for either, there's no way to test it. You can reseat the GPU and reset the CMOS, but short of that, I'm not sure that there's much else you can do without more hardware.
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JoeyRavn
@CL60 said:
"I don't have onboard video. And I doubt it was my PSU failing. I know what that looks like, and that wasn't it. "
Have you tried resetting your CMOS? 

And, for the love of God, just post your whole system. I don't know how many times we've told you to do it. Putting together a PC is not as easy as you may think. One component may be screwing the whole setup, but if you don't tell us what you're working with, it'll be really hard to narrow down the causes of the problem.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Geno

I think it's the graphics card or the connections to the graphics card. Even if the PSU wasn't working to full capacity, it's supplying enough power to ramp up the fans and the rest of the components; that should be enough power to run the card in idle, so that you should at least be able to see the BIOS. Additionally, your computer could start up with your old card. Again, just make sure all the proper connections are there and secured firmly, and try clearing the CMOS. Other than that there's not much else to do but initiate an RMA.

darichardson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By darichardson
@JoeyRavn said:
"Have you tried resetting your CMOS?  And, for the love of God, just post your whole system. I don't know how many times we've told you to do it. Putting together a PC is not as easy as you may think. One component may be screwing the whole setup, but if you don't tell us what you're working with, it'll be really hard to narrow down the causes of the problem. "
Yes, please, listen to this voice of reason and take the time to post your full system specs (brand and model name of each part, at least).
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Geno

Also just to throw this out there, your old card was an 8800GTS that needed one six pin power connector, the 460SE requires two. Make sure both are plugged in firmly (on the off chance you forgot one or something). 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CL60
@darichardson said:
" @JoeyRavn said:
"Have you tried resetting your CMOS?  And, for the love of God, just post your whole system. I don't know how many times we've told you to do it. Putting together a PC is not as easy as you may think. One component may be screwing the whole setup, but if you don't tell us what you're working with, it'll be really hard to narrow down the causes of the problem. "
Yes, please, listen to this voice of reason and take the time to post your full system specs (brand and model name of each part, at least). "
Well I'm not sure exactly what all the parts are called, I would have to check on my computer, but I can't do that right now.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CL60

I figured it out. It was something fucking stupid.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Geno

Share with us? 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BeachThunder

:o You have to tell us!

My guess is you didn't have the power turned on.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Zlimness

Sounds like a PSU issue. If you don't even get a picture the system isn't getting enough power. It doesn't matter if the fans are running. The fans can start to spin but that doesn't mean the GPU is getting full power. If you still haven't got it running, try putting the graphics card in another computer or get a new PSU.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Geno

Or he never had his power at all.  

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BeachThunder
@Geno said:
" Or he never had his power at all.   Directed by M. Night Shyamalan. "
I was just watching The Village :3

Maybe he never even had a computer :O
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Geno
@BeachThunder said:
" @Geno said:
" Or he never had his power at all.   Directed by M. Night Shyamalan. "
I was just watching The Village :3  Maybe he never even had a computer :O "
Maybe he's not even real. 

Maybe WE'RE not even real.  

Directed by Christopher Nolan. 
Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By Zlimness
4-pin ATX wasn't connected? :E
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CL60
@Geno: I have no idea what they are called honestly, but those PCI-E cables that plug into the video card, it needed 2 and I was only plugging 1of them in =/
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Geno
@CL60: Ah so that WAS it.