Avatar image for dominatingfrance
DominatingFrance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DominatingFrance

I've been thinking about this for a while now ever since recently finishing Battlestar Galactica. In this day and age, how popular do you think a fully realised and graphically stunning cockpit space fighting game would be? Would you buy it? It seems to be that there is a huge gap in the market at the moment for this type of X-Wing Vs Tie-Fighter style game. Hell, I'd even buy a joystick for the thing if Sony or Microsoft brought one out. What do you guys think? Would you be interested if a respectable developer started working on one? I know I would! Ahem.

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kelbear

I think the publishers are a little bit wary of making games that pivot around joysticks since there are relatively few players that already own one (it's uncertain whether they'd be willing to go out and buy one for the publisher's new game).

They don't want to be the ones taking a risk by trying revive flight-sim/space-flight gaming. Reviving the genre with a big hit would need a respectable budget. That said, I don't think it's impossible, but the game would probably be "streamlined a bit" (I'm sure some would say it's console-ified). They need to make the controls work for Mouse and Keyboard play, or perhaps controller play.

But space combat isn't really about having to micromanage a ton of buttons. Yes, it was fun pretending you were in a cockpit with a board full of controls, but that wasn't what really sold you on the game was it? If the make the overarching game compelling, then I think that it's possible for space-flight games to take off again.   

-Make a worthwhile plot in a believable universe. 
-Design the game around interesting things. Make space lush and vibrant, full of strange creatures and sights to see. Don't go overboard on long stretch of emptiness just to emphasize that space is big. Gamer tastes are less forgiving these days.
 -Use modern gaming carrots like granular reward distributions (Always make sure the gamer knows what he's working towards, and make sure that it's worth getting).
-Since space is relatively simple to represent, pump in variety of content. Take a quick look at the Star Control II gamefaq and look at the incredible variety of aliens and their histories for such an old old game.
-Be bold! Space flight has been a pretty derivative genre. It's usually the equivalent of an airplane but shooting balls of energy instead. But there's no atmosphere to make aerodynamics necessary, and it's in the future, all possibilities are open for how the ships and weapons are designed and operated.