next standard PC controller?

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My Xbox 360 controller is on its last legs so I am looking at ethier the ps4 or xbone controllers to replace it. Its my understanding that currently neither will work on pc, but down the line do you think ethier will support pc use? I'd rather not buy another 360 pad if I can help it, the new ones just look to cool.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Devil240Z

My Xbox 360 controller is on its last legs so I am looking at ethier the ps4 or xbone controllers to replace it. Its my understanding that currently neither will work on pc, but down the line do you think ethier will support pc use? I'd rather not buy another 360 pad if I can help it, the new ones just look to cool.

Hopefully Logitech will come out with a new one that rocks like the new console controllers do.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By pyrodactyl

You could also buy a much cheaper, almost as great, already supported 360 controler with the transforming dpad. Seriously, you would be paying $30 more for useless functionnality on the PC if you bought a xbox one or ps4 controler.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That steam controller

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Hopefully support for the Dualshock 4 picks up. Because the Xbox One controller is garbage.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I hope the ps4 controller becomes the standard.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@pie said:

That steam controller

God, I hope not, that thing looks terrible.

I'd be willing to bet that one or both of the companies try to make their controllers compatible with PC gaming in the same way that the 360 controller is now. Or maybe Microsoft will just continue making the wired 360 controller.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@original_hank: I'm sure both will support PC use down the line. At the very least the Xbox One controller will because there isn't any way they'd go from supporting the 360 controller to not supporting the Xbox One controller.

Sorry for the random bolding, the editor keeps throwing it in and won't let me remove it.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie said:

That steam controller

I'd be willing to bet that one or both of the companies try to make their controllers compatible with PC gaming in the same way that the 360 controller is now. Or maybe Microsoft will just continue making the wired 360 controller.

You just don't get it man.

I seriously think that thing looks like it could be pretty awesome

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie said:

@believer258 said:

@pie said:

That steam controller

OK, let me expand on that thought just a little.

I think that in the case of turn-based mouse-driven games like Civilization, that thing could be pretty awesome. You'd just lean back and, since (as far as I know) you don't really need speed and accuracy, you could use it pretty well. But I just can't see it working well for shooters or RTS's or anything that needs quick and accurate movements.

Maybe I'm narrow minded or old-fashioned or something like that, I just don't see it becoming a standard controller. Then again, I tend to strongly dislike anything that isn't a tried-and-true controller or mouse and keyboard, so maybe take that with a grain of salt.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DonPixel

@pie said:

That steam controller

looks like a really bad idea, with a steam logo on it.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dualshock 1, 2, or a SNES controller. I can't bring myself to use anything else.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie said:

@believer258 said:

@pie said:

That steam controller

I think that in the case of turn-based mouse-driven games like Civilization, that thing could be pretty awesome. You'd just lean back and, since (as far as I know) you don't really need speed and accuracy, you could use it pretty well. But I just can't see it working well for shooters or RTS's or anything that needs quick and accurate movements.

Maybe I'm narrow minded or old-fashioned or something like that, I just don't see it becoming a standard controller. Then again, I tend to strongly dislike anything that isn't a tried-and-true controller or mouse and keyboard, so maybe take that with a grain of salt.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree (until the thing comes out and it turns out I was right hahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahahh!!!!)

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie said:

@believer258 said:

@pie said:

@believer258 said:

@pie said:

That steam controller

Well we'll have to agree to disagree (until the thing comes out and it turns out I was right hahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahahh!!!!)

Sorry to jump into this conversation, but I'd like to add my two cents about the steam controller.

I look at the Steam controller as picking up the slack where dual analog controllers aren't so great. It aims to finally make a gamepad that works with highly mouse driven genres like RTS, point and click, and MOBA while adding a greater degree of precision for shooters. However, I don't see it as a replacement for a standard dual analog controller.

It will be a great way to supplement your standard controller, creating a situation where you use a DS4 or Xbox pad for driving games, platformers, third person action adventure, and fighting games, while you use your steam controller for shooters, real time strategy, and mobas. Neither will be the best for all situations, the steam controller just fills in the gaps where existing controllers come up short.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pie

@pie said:

@believer258 said:

@pie said:

@believer258 said:

@pie said:

That steam controller

Sorry to jump into this conversation, but I'd like to add my two cents about the steam controller.

I look at the Steam controller as picking up the slack where dual analog controllers aren't so great. It aims to finally make a gamepad that works with highly mouse driven genres like RTS, point and click, and MOBA while adding a greater degree of precision for shooters. However, I don't see it as a replacement for a standard dual analog controller.

It will be a great way to supplement your standard controller, creating a situation where you use a DS4 or Xbox pad for driving games, platformers, third person action adventure, and fighting games, while you use your steam controller for shooters, real time strategy, and mobas. Neither will be the best for all situations, the steam controller just fills in the gaps where existing controllers come up short.

Guy that made SMB did say it felt good on it. Gonna be the best, better than all the rest

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I ask what's wrong with your 360 gamepad? If it's just sticky buttons, you can dismantle the controller super easily, clean it, and put it back together free of charge, and it'll work like new. Bought a shitty used gamepad, did that, and it works perfectly now.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@pie said:

@believer258 said:

@pie said:

@believer258 said:

@pie said:

That steam controller

Guy that made SMB did say it felt good on it. Gonna be the best, better than all the rest

There's no way that thing will be better for fighting games without a d-pad or for driving games without a tactile thumbstick. It certainly won't be better than a arcade stick driving wheel. It may work for more genres than I gave it credit for, but it will only be clearly superior in mouse driven genres. For everything else, it will be down to preference. I know I won't want to use it for games that were designed with existing controllers in mind.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By KaneRobot

The 360 one will remain the standard. No need for the PS4 or Bone controller to replace it.

Steam controller will be a blip on the radar at best, for certain types of games that aren't most efficient with the 360 style pad.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 360 one will remain the standard. No need for the PS4 or Bone controller to replace it.

Steam controller will be a blip on the radar at best, for certain types of games that aren't most efficient with the 360 style pad.

Except when availability drops for the original 360 controller, they're gonna make a choice.

Hopefully they go for DS4

Falx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Falx

I got a PS4 controller for my PC and other than playing around with drivers so that it works with some games, it's my favourite controller that i've ever handled.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@kanerobot said:

Except when availability drops for the original 360 controller, they're gonna make a choice.

Hopefully they go for DS4

Availability? Do you have any idea how many of those things are floating out there in retail, mom and pop stores and online? The real availability issue is going to be with the wireless receiver. At one point it was almost impossible to find one, but recently MS started offering them as a standalone product again, with updated, more reliable internals and a black finish, to match most PC setups. I have a feeling the dropoff is going to be huge over time, in terms of availability.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

for some reason I'm reminded when people say the gamecube was a good controller or how some people prefer to play fighting games on a dreamcast controller

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My bet is on the PS4 controller because it seems pretty solid and everyone who I've talked to that has used both the PS4 and Xbox One controller prefer the PS4.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the standard 360 controller we all use now remains the standard for a little while longer. I can't seem them making games for the PC that would use either of the two new ones for maybe another year or two still.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully support for the Dualshock 4 picks up. Because the Xbox One controller is garbage.

Do tell? I've not held either of them

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bybeach

@pie said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@pie said:

@believer258 said:

@pie said:

@believer258 said:

@pie said:

That steam controller

There's no way that thing will be better for fighting games without a d-pad or for driving games without a tactile thumbstick. It certainly won't be better than a arcade stick driving wheel. It may work for more genres than I gave it credit for, but it will only be clearly superior in mouse driven genres. For everything else, it will be down to preference. I know I won't want to use it for games that were designed with existing controllers in mind.

WELL, I think that......oh shoot, I thought you all were talking about that transcendent Nvidia controller. That thing blows me away. For all I know, the engineers may get the steam one right! But there are an odd mix of horses in the race right now. K+M will always in my book be the default, but I have a wireless 360 that seems to work fine for many games.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Original_Hank

@development: the buttons do stick a bit but its mostly the left stick is losing its padding and it doesn't register up anymore, so every time I want to point in that direction I have to angle it slightly to the left or right for it to work. Just seems like its time to think about replacing it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Did you see that video where they played Portal 2 and CSGO with it? I remember it looking like they had some real problems playing shooters with it. Controllers have at least proven themselves better than that.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By development

@original_hank said:

@development: the buttons do stick a bit but its mostly the left stick is losing its padding and it doesn't register up anymore, so every time I want to point in that direction I have to angle it slightly to the left or right for it to work. Just seems like its time to think about replacing it.

That could be a pretty quick fix. This video shows you the area where stuff gets into the sticks and causes problems. You just need to clean it out. If by "padding" you mean the rubber, then you can just try filling the recess in with duct tape. Duct tape solves everything. Whole thing might take you an hour, tops, if it's your first time. Would take me 10 minutes or less. Not even a drive to the store is quicker (or cheaper).

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@demoskinos said:

The bumpers are horrible and mushy feeling and the triggers feel really weird as well. The D-pad is a slight improvement but the shoulder buttons are real bad.

Rastopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hands down the best PC gamepad for your money would be this one right here. I've never been more satisfied with a controller for my PC and that includes using a 360 controller. It's got a switch on the back that lets you switch between xinput (360 controller) and direct input (old school gamepad for compatibility with older games.)

Also, have you ever played a side-scroller on your pc only to have it force you to use the joystick for movement because that's considered the primary directional input? That's what the mode button on the front of the logitech gamepad is for. It swaps the primary directional input between the gamepad and joystick for those kinds of situations. All around, it's a quality gamepad for the money and has versatility that you won't get from a 360 controller. It's good. Seriously.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By stonyman65

@demoskinos said:

I haven't used either of them, but from what I've been hearing it being described as is "worse than a PS3 controller" - it feels cheap, the bumpers/triggers are mushy, the D-pad and analog sticks don't feel right....
At least thats what I've been hearing.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd said:

At one point it was almost impossible to find one, but recently MS started offering them as a standalone product again, with updated, more reliable internals and a black finish, to match most PC setups. I have a feeling the dropoff is going to be huge over time, in terms of availability.

Do you have a link to this updated receiver? I'm using a cheap knock-off...

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever happens, I'd just like to see the PS4 controller work without the janky GARBAGE software that is MotionInJoy. It's seriously so bad. It seems like Chinese government spyware even. It's ridiculous.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GreggD

@chrjz said:

@greggd said:

At one point it was almost impossible to find one, but recently MS started offering them as a standalone product again, with updated, more reliable internals and a black finish, to match most PC setups. I have a feeling the dropoff is going to be huge over time, in terms of availability.

Do you have a link to this updated receiver? I'm using a cheap knock-off...

Oh man, I just realized that they might have nixed it already. Well, there was this listing: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wireless-Receiver-Windows-Official-Pc/dp/B00E0OB7MW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1385867741&sr=8-2&keywords=xbox+360+wireless+receiver+for+windows

So yeah, I would try that, and make sure it's the black version. If you e-mail the sellers, they'll tell you if it's black or white.

grizmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By grizmack

@stonyman65: Not sure where all of the negativity comes from, but as an owner of both I still prefer the X1's controller to the DS4. Partially due to the offset sticks, but mostly because I dislike the DS4's triggers. For all of the talk of the X1 controller having "mushy" triggers, the DS4's feel just as mushy to me.

I'm not sure why people think the X1's triggers are bad. Maybe because they're super silent and smooth? The only bad part for me are the bumpers. They're just a bit too "clicky" and take too much force to actually register a click. Other than that, it feels very similar to the 360 controller.

Edit: Not saying you're being negative. There's a lot of negativity surrounding the X1 in general, but I meant regarding the controller.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox One will probably be the new standard with Steam controller also possibly being one with Steam Works titles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Microsoft's plans to make the Xbox One controller work seamlessly for all games that support the 360 pad, then it's pretty probable the Xbox controller will remain the standard.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Whatever happens, I'd just like to see the PS4 controller work without the janky GARBAGE software that is MotionInJoy. It's seriously so bad. It seems like Chinese government spyware even. It's ridiculous.

MotioninJoy totally is spyware. That's why this dude made a config tool that actually works and doesn't break your computer. Tell all your friends.

If you have trouble setting it up, there are plenty of youtube tutorials.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grizmack said:

@stonyman65: Not sure where all of the negativity comes from, but as an owner of both I still prefer the X1's controller to the DS4. Partially due to the offset sticks, but mostly because I dislike the DS4's triggers. For all of the talk of the X1 controller having "mushy" triggers, the DS4's feel just as mushy to me.

I'm not sure why people think the X1's triggers are bad. Maybe because they're super silent and smooth? The only bad part for me are the bumpers. They're just a bit too "clicky" and take too much force to actually register a click. Other than that, it feels very similar to the 360 controller.

Edit: Not saying you're being negative. There's a lot of negativity surrounding the X1 in general, but I meant regarding the controller.

I don't know man, I haven't used either (yet). I'm just going on what I've heard from others. I'll wait until I can mess around with both of them (by playing a fighting game because thats how you test controllers) before I pass my final judgment on them.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: Thanks for the video, I opened the controller up and gave it a good cleaning, the sticky buttons are gone but the thumb stick still seems to be a problem. At least its clean now though!

NinetySevenA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falx said:

I got a PS4 controller for my PC and other than playing around with drivers so that it works with some games, it's my favourite controller that i've ever handled.

How is the weight? I like the 360 controller a lot because of the weight. The PS3 controller always feels light and flimsy.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10