ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ParanoidFreak

From Joystiq:

"Absolutely the hard-core gamer crowd is critically important to us." Which would explain why so much of Nintendo's E3 press conference was taken up by spirited flailing, smiling soccer moms and the worst rendition of the Super Mario Bros. theme the world has ever been forced to endure.

But Nintendo hasn't forgotten about the mythical "hardcore" gamer crowd, Cammie Dunaway tells Wired. The executive VP of sales and marketing, who insists that she's a "genuinely smiley, nice person," explains that "the Zelda and Mario teams are hard at work," possibly on something that could rival the infinitely desirable Super Mario Sluggers. "And even Super Mario Sluggers, which is certainly an expanded audience title, but what core gamer doesn't love Mario and baseball and finding out which combination of characters are going to do what kind of crazy things in the field?" she ponders.

Dunaway also notes that Nintendo is committed to a variety of games, catering to casual players with titles like Cooking Navi, and exciting tougher crowds with the DS iteration of Grand Theft Auto. We mean, she must have seen it, right? "I have not looked at the product. Have you?" Well, no ... but we haven't been incorporating it into our sales pitch either.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Do you really think they still care about "hardcore" gamers?
Philanthropy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Philanthropy

lol

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Mushir

I can't believe people want a new Mario game so soon. I mean Galaxy came out like 8 months ago.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Blu_Magic

Silly Nintendo.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Colonel_Cool

Why do they keep releasing the same Mario crapware like Mario baseball, Mario golf, Mario party, Mario kart, Mario tennis, Mario (insert crappy sport here), when they could be making good games like Mario Galaxy?

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Does anyone know what happened  to the new Kid Icarus game everyone thought they would announce?

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Alex_V

Silly Nintendo - bringing out games that are selling like hot cakes. What are they thinking of?

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Because Zelda and Pikimin are for the hardcore

ROFL

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ParanoidFreak
Alex_V said:
"Silly Nintendo - bringing out games that are selling like hot cakes. What are they thinking of?
"
Obviously money (haha).
rayen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By rayen

Problem with Nintendo is that they think they can satisfy the hardcore gamers with couple of games per year when Microsoft and Sony can bring 10-20 times more games for that group. Nintendo has branded themselves as "casual" and  "Family-fun" which brings a whole new market to focus upon and the main reason why Wii is selling so much as it is , is becuase new gamers like your parents , girlfriend etc is getting into games like that. I think Nintendo gonna shoot themself in the foot next generation of they try to win back hardcore gamers when most of them either has bought a xbox or ps.

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By mathewballard

When I first got my Wii I loved it. But, over time despite there being games that I want to play Nintendo has made me start to not like it so much. I can understand if you want to get more in the casual market, but don't try to pretend that you care about the "hardcore" gamer anymore. And I hate that damn woman she is more fake then anyone I've ever seen.

Avatar image for bread_or_decide
bread_or_decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bread_or_decide

Oh man. Nintendo tells the best jokes these days. lol.

khit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By khit

Come on guys, they showd animal crossing. Obviously they care! :P

israeliredneck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By israeliredneck

They've already said they are going to casualise mario and zelda.

Ninty don't give a shit about gamers.

Avatar image for bread_or_decide
bread_or_decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bread_or_decide

At least I never fooled myself. I got my Wii for Mario Galaxy and third party games like No More Heroes and NiGHTS.

Putting your hopes on the first party....well...I wouldn't bother.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By WickedCobra03
ParanoidFreak said:

Do you really think they still care about "hardcore" gamers?
"
No, they are just saying that because if they left their hardcore gamers in the dust it would make it even harder for them if thus whole "casual gaming" bubble bursts...
Rain_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rain_Dog

The hardcore gamer just isn't Nintendo's focus anymore. They're putting so much time and energy is marketing towards casuals, and it's a shame they're turning their backs on their hardcore fans a little bit. I know some people will stay loyal to Nintendo forever, but I wonder how many are migrating, or will migrate, to other platforms where the games better suit their hardcore tastes. In a couple years if people stop thinking the Wii is the greatest thing ever and sales go down, then what? Are a lot of hardcores going to feel too screwed over to support Nintendo again?

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By BlackWaterCO

This thread is so great

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 02sfraser

i agree that they kept talking about veteran gamers and i didnt really see anything for veteran gamers. Animal Crossing sure but come on thats not exactly hardcore gaming. although while you criticise their E3 Reggie did say in the smaller stage setting that more will be announced at the Tokyo Game Show cause thats where the veteran gamers follow. Also Miyamoto said they are making Pikmin right now. good times for Nintendo i reckon :)

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kr3lian

israeliredneck said:
"They've already said they are going to casualise mario and zelda.

Ninty don't give a shit about gamers.
"

Nintendo doesn't give a shit about gamers?  Ha.  They are making new gamers.

If you mean gamers that like to play first-person games and little else, then you are right, they don't care about them.

There are good games on 360, PS3, and Wii.  All three platforms only exist to take your money.  Pick your poison.
Nobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nobility

Nintendo must have a few tricks up its sleeves, even they must know how bad their press conference bombed.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Otacon

Ah Cammie, she likes to bring up the GTA DS when posed a question about the core crowd.

dillonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By dillonator

The hardcore gamer will be satiated when Nintendo stop throwing shit onto store shelves and produces quality titles.

Then again, when you gimmick your route to market share, and the gimmick becomes old, you lose everyone anyways.

Lemmywinks_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lemmywinks_360

of course they still care about the hardcore, just look at the e3 press conference... o wait

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By suneku

nah it's all bs... they name a few titles and titles that are "in the works" and continue to shelve out more useless crap add ons

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By get2sammyb

Not being to be an idiot but this thread should have been put into the Nintendo forum really.

Anyway, I genuinely believe Nintendo need some fresh IP. When you think about it the Wii has given us all the games in just over a year that we expect one of each in a consoles life. It's almost like they dried up the hardcore stuff trying to please both casuals and the general public.

Nintendo need to work out a way of developing game that have the pick-up factor for casuals and lastibility for everyone else.

efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By efrucht

Pro-Tip:
They are lying

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By TreyoftheDead

I'm a long time fan of Nintendo and I love my Wii, but that woman sickens me.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By DARKIDO07

What Nintendo needs to do is make games like LittleBigPlanet and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, and by that I mean games that will appeal to both the casual and hardcore. People want to play challenging games, not ones where its impossible to fail. I mean even in  Lego Star Wars you can still loose, you can still die, but with Wii Muisc its imposible to loose. Play to many notes and it filters them out, play to little and it fills them in. Where is the fun in that? Also I don't think the core gamer was looking to spend $40 on an attachment and if they wan't their friends to play that don't have Wiis, they need to spend $160 just so them and three other friends can play Wii Sports Resorts, yeah good job there Nintendo. /sarcasim.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By RVonE
Tarsier said:
"They don't care about us at all. Animal Crossing looks like a Nintendo 64 game. Fuck off nintendo and never come back."

Animal Crossing is infinitely awesome and you know it.