Have they alluded to how many other games in the future will have their DLC access rolled into this NSO Expansion Pack, or is it just this Animal Crossing DLC at the moment?
Skimming the list of Nintendo published games with DLC passes, they seem to release a few a year:
The list of Nintendo games with DLC passes is something like:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
- Splatoon 2 (2017)
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (2017)
- Fire Emblem Warriors (2017)
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (2017)
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (2018)
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (2019)
- Fire Emblem Three Houses (2019)
- Pokemon Sword & Shield (2019)
- Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (2020)
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons (weird 2021 DLC, coming 18 months after the fact for a 2020 game)
- nothing else this year lol (2021)
I might've missed 1 or 2, but this is most of them.
Going forward, if this expansion pack pricing gives you all paid DLC passes/season passes for Nintendo games, that's kinda a good deal instead of paying like $30 for each of them individually. I guess, if you're really out there buying multiple Nintendo-published games a year maybe this $50 a year thing is for you.
Even then, some years (2018/2020/2021) are really light on DLC, so some years your value is just bad (including the launch year of this service where it seems that Animal Crossing is the only eligible DLC pass). And it still sucks that 5 years from now when you're no longer paying for Nintendo Switch Online but you want to play an old game, you'll only own the base game if all your DLC is locked to the subscription. At least Gamepass or PS Plus is more like you're renting the entire game and it's entirely ephemeral.
The communication on this is still really bad. If anything, they should've pitched it as the N64 and Genesis are literally just an added part of the existing cheap tier of NSO, and the expensive tier of NSO Expansion Pack should've been pitched as "subscribe to this and you get all DLC in Nintendo-published games" or something.
Log in to comment