development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By development

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/vyWpoM6CBIe6FjW8NIY7bvzOrgBURhzw

Fuck the 60-character limit in thread titles. So stupid.

Seems pretty early. You don't necessarily come to Nintendo for Online play, but it's just another sign that Nintendo aren't doing so hot. You'd think games like Pokemon Black and Smash Bros. have a decent sized community still, but I really wouldn't know, I guess. I wonder how much it costs to keep these services afloat. Must be a lot. Or Nintendo's just trimming off all but the most important expenses.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

Was reading about this early. The only Wii game that I enjoyed online was MK Wii. Also with Pokemon going down, wonder if all the Pokemon Edit sites can still work with the games or not.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

This is not that surprising considering Nintendo still treats the online space like it's 1994.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It sounds like their 3DS and Wii U services have been growing so much that they feel they need to either increase investment in their online resources or just cancel those services and focus all of their resources on the newer platforms.

Shame the Wii and DS are having their services end so soon, but then, they were always free, too. So, I imagine they don't feel much of an obligation to keep them up. It would be nice, but this doesn't seem all too surprising with where they're at right now.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mb:

Doom had 16 player online in 93/94.

LOL.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de
deactivated-5d0d1bbdad7de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUCK. Mario Kart Wii is still very active online, and I've seen a few clans/groups on Miiverse who do SSBB online, so I'm actually kinda pissed that this is happening

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By development

@MB said:

This is not that surprising considering Nintendo still treats the online space like it's 1994.

I was blown away when someone told me the 3DS requires those ridiculous "friend codes." I was certain they'd have updated to sensible usernames by now.

(I have no idea what happened when I tried to quote MB)

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RazielCuts

Does anyone know what this means for Wiiware/ Wii VC purchases? Say, hypothetically, I were to get a Wii U at some stage and I wanted to transfer downloaded games I'd bought on my Wii to my Wii U, would I now not be able to do this? Or is this strictly online MP thats being axed here? I'm still not entirely sure how that transfer process works from Wii to Wii U. It's times like these where having a unified account with linked past purchases would've been pretty handy.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#10 chaser324  Moderator

@razielcuts: From Nintendo's press release -

Other online functionality, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also not affected at this time.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RazielCuts

@chaser324 said:

@razielcuts: From Nintendo's press release -

Other online functionality, such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, the Nintendo DSi Shop and video-on-demand services, are also not affected at this time.

Bah, reading, who needs it! ha. 'At this time' Dun dun dun. Because yeah, I think the nay spoken thing about the Wii U in the plus column is its backwards compatibility, I still have Xenoblade Chronicles, Skyward Sword, Last Story and Pandora's Tower to finish/play.

Now this has got me thinking, is this a sly move to basically force people to buy the Wii U counterparts? 'Want to play Kart and Smash online? Then buy the new ones on Wii U ya bastards!'

And reading the press release, I'd totally forgotten about the Wii Speak! Man, who thought that was a good idea. Shouting at your TV to talk to p...oh

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Servers, bandwidth, and maintainence are expensive and they aren't rent doing so hot. On the othe hand they could just be clearing out legacy online architecture to finally make way for infrastructure Sony and Microsoft started using a decade ago... While Sony and Microsoft are still probably goi to surpasses them with cloud capabilities and virtualized clusters. Somehow I don't see Nintendo modernizing that much.

Avatar image for altered_confusion
Altered_Confusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 264

User Lists: 1

Wait you could play online games on the Wii?!?!?!

Seriously though, I don't think there was ever enough gamers going through those channels to make it worthwhile. The online features were an afterthought, and they will still give you access to the store, so you can continue to buy the retro games that most of us only use our Wiis for at this point.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000 said:

@mb:

LOL.

Ehhh, not really. Original Doom multiplayer support was just IPX and null modem, though I think peer-to-peer modem support was added later on (but as far as I know, that limits the games to 1-on-1). I'm also pretty sure that the original player limit was 4, not 16.

Online play was probably possible later on with network emulators like Kali, but even then, that's not really the same as the game itself having native online support.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fattony12000
@cloudymusic said:

@fattony12000 said:

@mb:

LOL.

Ehhh, not really. Original Doom multiplayer support was just IPX and null modem, though I think peer-to-peer modem support was added later on (but as far as I know, that limits the games to 1-on-1). I'm also pretty sure that the original player limit was 4, not 16.

Online play was probably possible later on with network emulators like Kali, but even then, that's not really the same as the game itself having native online support.

Yes, okay fine. IPX and TCP/IP are different things, one is an internetworking protocol and one is the Internet, sure. However, DWANGO was a thing that let you easily play Doom over the Internet with multiple other human beings in (late) 1994. Buuuut if that still doesn't stand up to your high level of scrutiny, I humbly submit the following...

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cloudymusic

Yes. The state of internet play in 1996/1997 was much different than 1993/1994, is all I'm saying :P

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. The state of internet play in 1996/1997 was much different than 1993/1994, is all I'm saying :P

You are quite right to point that stuff out! Thanks (for real, I'm not yanking yer ethernet cable) for getting up in my nitty gritty about that, I love hitting up that kind of network protocol rush, dawg.

I wanna go play Quake at 600fps now.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Vinny_Says

Are they one step closer to shutting down the Wii Shop Channel and finally bringing those virtual console games into one unified store? Because that would be great...but this is nintendo after all....

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BisonHero

It's actually really weird seeing how few Wii titles are affected.

• Animal Crossing: City Life
  • Battalion Wars 2
  • Endless Ocean
  • Endless Ocean 2: Adventures of the Deep
  • Excitebots: Trick Racing
  • Fortune Street
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Mario Sports Mix
  • Mario Strikers Charged
  • Pokémon Battle Revolution
  • Samurai Warriors 3
  • Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
  • Super Smash Brothers Brawl
  • Wii Music*

I guess those are the only ones where Nintendo is providing the online themselves through their poorly named Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service? Because I know there are other multiplayer games. Can't think of many off the top of my head, but I believe The Conduit 2 had rudimentary online multiplayer.

Conversely, it's crazy seeing how many DS titles have online functionality, when Professor Layton is just about the only DS game I ever took online in any capacity. Did any of you guys actually do DS online multiplayer, aside from like, Pokemon? Because the online on all of those other games seems super secondary and skippable.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Steadying

@bisonhero: That Goldeneye remake seemed to be weirdly popular and active.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BisonHero

@steadyingmeat said:

@bisonhero: That Goldeneye remake seemed to be weirdly popular and active.

Oh yeah, that. Its popularity is kinda surprising, given that the Wii eventually got a small number of CoD ports (I think it ended up getting Modern Warfare 1 like at the same time everybody else was getting Modern Warfare 2, and it eventually got Black Ops 1 and Modern Warfare 3). Those CoD ports must've had much better multiplayer than GoldenEye.

Man, do I wish I had not bought GoldenEye. It was pretty bad, and the multiplayer was just Call of Duty without killstreaks, and with kinda less interesting perks. There was a Golden Gun game mode that was kinda alright, I guess. But just lots of little things were super shitty about it, like how the game didn't have the budget for anything but in-mission cutscenes, so whenever there's a location change, you just get this digital world map screen with M/Judi Dench narrating over top of it about the next mission. No establishing cutscenes of "Now we're in Cuba, Bond" showing Havana or something, and literally no scenes of Bond at MI6 with M or anything like that. And the fonts/UI in multiplayer were just bad, with lots of like white Arial (or similarly bland font type) all over the place.

I tried to be that one guy that bought all the "hardcore" games for the Wii to justify my purchase of it, but so many of them didn't work out. MadWorld had style, but I still kinda hated playing it because you basically just walk around these medium-ish levels for 20 minutes, grinding score until you unlock the boss door (granted, the bosses were cool). Red Steel 2 controlled well enough actually (never played the first) but everything else about it was still budget as fuck, from cutscenes to the story to the fact that the game basically has no mechanics outside of the swordfighting and basic shooting (and it desperately needed something more complex to do, like a Dishonored or something). Thankfully I was already becoming too jaded by the time The Conduit 1 and 2 came out, so I never bought those.

On the plus side, I got a Wii copy of Okami before that disappeared from the shelves (never played it on PS2). Sucks that the game had the credits removed and waggling to attack got even more tiresome than Twilight Princess because there are actual timed combos in Okami, but it was still a fun experience. No More Heroes is legitimately good, or at least the ways in which it are bad have less to do with the Wii's power or controls and more to do with Suda51 being kinda bad at gameplay design. Too bad No More Heroes 2 was super terrible in that it made the story and characters utterly boring. Little King's Story is pretty neat and has a really original...tone or mood to it, though the difficulty spikes all over the place depending on what sidequests you go after in what order.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now you won't be able to download extra Professor Layton levels for the DS games :(

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart: Yeah, that's one of the biggest losses, because the Layton games are just about the only DS or Wii games that have significant content locked until you go online to unlock it.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#25  Edited By TheMasterDS

I don't think this is a big deal. DS and Wii online was crap anyway. As for the original Wii VC if that ever gets pulled down it had better be after they get N64 onto Wii U VC. That said I don't think pulling it down makes sense if the store makes money which I'd imagine it still does.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@bisonhero: Warioware D.I.Y seems pretty much pointless without wi-fi. That whole game was based around making and sharing stuff online.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@euandewar: Oh right, yeah, that seems like a huge bummer. Remember that Chie tank-punting minigame from the Quick Look?

That game was probably always doomed to underperform sales-wise, even though I think it did a great job of letting you draw and script simple minigames.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is stupid. Pokemon Black and White 2 literally just came out in October 2012. That was almost a year and a half ago. I've never heard of any company shutting down online services for a game as quick as Nintendo is doing now.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

PM me if you've got Fortune Street and want to play a game online

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wii had online functionality?

Jagged85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#31  Edited By Jagged85

Are we allowed to swear on these forums?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jagged85 said:

Are we allowed to swear on these forums?

Yeah, If you have a decent fucking reason to do so.

Well, maybe the next Smash will be out by then? (That's the only game I would expect to still have an active community)

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a few hours of Monster Hunter Tri online. That game almost made me forget I was playing on a Wii. The servers for that shut down a while back though, so that's fine.

Shutting down the Wii eShop would be stinky since there are a lot of neat old games that you can get on there.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crimsonavenger said:

This is stupid. Pokemon Black and White 2 literally just came out in October 2012. That was almost a year and a half ago. I've never heard of any company shutting down online services for a game as quick as Nintendo is doing now.

To be fair, it was kinda crazy that that game came out so late. The 3DS came out in early 2011, and really only a few significant DS games even came out in 2011 (Ghost Trick, Radiant Historia, Pokemon Black and White, a Harvest Moon, Okamiden, and Kirby Mass Attack). And most of those came out before the 3DS launch. The fall of 2011 was pretty much the swan song of the DS, with that Harvest Moon and Kirby Mass Attack.

Only about 3 DS games of note came out in 2012: SMT: Devil Survivor 2, Pokemon Conquest, and Pokemon Black/White 2. Pretty much all of those were stragglers where the localization took a while compared to the Japanese release.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that's shitty. Can't say I play too many Nintendo games online but I'm pretty sure games like Pokemon and Mario Kart are still going strong. Guess no more created Pokemon will be flying through the Bank gates. (For awhile anyway)

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this gets more press than the GT5 servers shutting down next month. People wont stop bitching about it.