Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nashvilleskyline

All right, first time writer, long time fan of the site and all the features it offers. I also really like all the different personalities each individual from GB bring to the overall nature of the site. Which is why Giant bomb is my main "go to" for any video game infos an fix. But....I really wish you guys ( giant bomb crew ) would give a fair chance to dark souls for game of the year. It will unfortunately end up beign among games like Uncharted, Gears, Battlefield or other know quantities, but I feel the site's community should bring attention to this diamond of a game. I'm 30 years old, have played games since very young age, and I can only remember having been that much invested in game when I was playing Link to the Past back in the days. I'm completely obsessed, satisfied, frustrated, obsessed ( mentionned it twice but it's worth it ) with the game. I love every single piece of it as much as I can hate every single part of it too. I've been searching the net for the last 2 weeks for forums, secrets, info, techniques on the game and have found that I was far from being alone. And having Editors like Jeff on board for the game of the year discussions make me really afraid that this game won't even get the chance of being nominated and considered. (I'm saying that following last years discussion on the podcasts where Jeff completey shutted down on both Ryan's arguments for Asssasin's creed Brotherhood and Brad's Minerva's Den. Anyway, now that I got it off my mind I can resume my work day and hopefully, have some time to play the game tonight :)

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

They will have their choice, and then site goers get their choice. It'll make on top somewhere.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benjaebe

I can definitely see Vinny pushing for the game in at least a few of the categories. It'll come out on top somewhere along the line.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

They can make it their game of the year even if they don't review it, but they have to play and beat it first though. So yeah, you're probably right about it not being Giantbomb's game of the year.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Cloudenvy

Well, I'm not really sure what you're asking for really. That the community should bring this gem to their attention? they already know of it, and all of them pretty much know how it plays.

Yeah, it probably won't be considered as a serious contender for GOTY because at least half of the crew doesn't like it. But it will more likely than not show up on Vinny's personal top 10. : )

It's good that you're enjoying it! and I'm happy for you! but I honestly have no idea what you're asking for. : (

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By EuanDewar

Yeah Jeff completely shut down Brads Minervas Den argument, that's why it won in its category.

Jeezy creezy, look. It's THEIR games of the year, if you feel they don't give the game the chance it deserves go make your own list exclaiming how Dark Souls is the best thing since anal and don't let their list affect you. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thornie_delete

It doesn't matter what the Bombsquad has to say about Dark Souls, it's already won the internet's GOTY.  Most journalists hate it, every single non journalist with an internet connection and a forum account loves it.

La_raga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By La_raga

@Nashvilleskyline: im with you, Dark Souls, is one of the best games that came out this year, is big, pretty, inmersive, very deep, challenging and rewarding, this game is an instant classic, and i feel that other games like Battlefield, Skyrim, Uncharted, going to be more considerated for the GOTY award, but i know that Dark Souls for me is a real winner and it should be, but is only my opinion.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Vinny_Says

GB's game of the year is not your game of the year it's the crew's game of the year remember that.

If Dark Souls really is that great the community will vote for it in the community GOTY and it might win.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By august

@Vinny_Says said:

GB's game of the year is not your game of the year it's Jeff's game of the year remember that.

Jeff wanted Arkham Asylum to be goty and it lost to Uncharted 2.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Animasta

I bet Dark Souls gets at least top 5 on the community's list. Just because Jeff has the worst opinions about video games I have ever seen doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to him :P

be easy

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead

First time writer? No way.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By soldierg654342

Remember that time when you really liked something, so you showed it to someone but they didn't like it, so you couldn't like it anymore? That always sucks.

Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nashvilleskyline

@EuanDewar: First, the minerva's den was an exemple of a behavior ruining the chance of a game rather than an opinion or argument. ( not sure if my sentence is correctly written ...I'm from Quebec and speak french héhé.)

And I know that it's THEIR site as you correctly pointed out, but is it only me or a big part of the greatness of this site relies in two things : Personalities and community. To me, one doesn't go without the other on GB.

Anyway...it was just a thought I wished to express and have a discussion about.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By NekuSakuraba

It probably wont, but that's fine. It might get the community GOTY or somewhere on Vinny's list, but even if it doesn't why does it matter?

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By dtat

@Animasta said:

I bet Dark Souls gets at least top 5 on the community's list. Just because Jeff has the worst opinions about video games I have ever seen doesn't mean I don't enjoy listening to him :P

be easy

It's not just Jeff. Ryan also has no interest in Dark Souls. Even Vinny only sort of likes it.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Vinny_Says

@august: Yeah you're right I'm being unfair. But he does like to shut down others, like when Brad praised Minerva's Den while Jeff hadn't even played it. At the time I didn't see the problem but having since played both DLCs I am flabbergasted that Brad had to defend what is clearly the better DLC.

I'll edit my post.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By DaemonBlack

Dark Souls is definitely popular on the internet right now. It will be interesting to see if it keeps up throughout all the other major releases of the year.

Personally, that game will never be touched again once Battlefield 3 and Skyrim are out.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nottle

I'm sure Vinny will make some sort of push for it. We know Jeff and Ryan don't like it at all. Brad however, I think Brad gets it. He flip flops on whether he likes it or not, but he keeps playing. If he is able to finish the game and feel good about it, maybe it will be on his top 10? Maybe.

Also at the end of the year, I know the personal videos don't really contribute to the overall GOTY podcast discussions, but usually they include a guy like Alex, Drew, or Dave's game of the year in those videos. Patrick seems to understand the game, and with Alex in NYC maybe Rorie could have a top 10?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I propose a new category for GOTY discussion, "Man, fuck that game!".

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dtat

@LordXavierBritish said:

Seconded!

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Shadow

I love Dark Souls. I've been playing it every free moment since it came out. It's no game of the year though. For everything it does right, it's still janky as shit

Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nashvilleskyline

@LordXavierBritish: héhéhé seeee ?? exactly what I'm talking about.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Animasta

@Dtat said:

@Animasta said:

be easy

It's not just Jeff. Ryan also has no interest in Dark Souls. Even Vinny only sort of likes it.

Vinny at least gets it and if he only sort of liked it he'd probably have stopped playing by now. I just don't think getting angry or disappointed at them not liking a game is silly.

well except when they all snuffed Nier :(

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#25  Edited By jacksukeru

If anything I feel that Giant Bomb's GOTY deliberations podcast has casts some light on how just how subjective ALL website's GOTY awards are. It's just a thing, an opinion formed by a bunch of guys in a meeting room over several hours, and it doesn't even have much impact in the grand scheme of things.

Going off-topic for a bit, I do find it very interesting that the game has the apparent ability to consistently bring out posters with very low post counts.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jeffsekai

Why would any sane person give GOTY to Dark Souls? That game has so many issues it's amazing it hasn't been patched yet. The online is broken, the lock on system is balls and sometimes just doesn't work, the camera will decide to just move at times and throw you off a cliff. Not to mention all the graphical issues and other bullshit.

This isn't me bitching about how hard the game, says "Dude it's Dark Souls" doesn't excuse shitty game design and just a shit ton of non-gameplay related bugs.

Holy shit and I totally forgot about the horrible frame-rate in some of the sections.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@Jeffsekai said:

Why would any sane person give GOTY to Dark Souls? That game has so many issues it's amazing it hasn't been patched yet. The online is broken, the lock on system is balls and sometimes just doesn't work, the camera will decide to just move at times and throw you off a cliff. Not to mention all the graphical issues and other bullshit.

This isn't me bitching about how hard the game, says "Dude it's Dark Souls" doesn't excuse shitty game design and just a shit ton of non-gameplay related bugs.

That's like asking why anyone gave Oblivion GOTY.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Animasta

@Jeffsekai said:

just because a game isn't made as well as other games doesn't mean you don't like it more. Nier was my 2010 GOTY and that game had a bunch of problems. GOTY isn't the best made game of the year, but YOUR favorite.

Dark souls might be mine, but I'm debating on whether I should give it to DS or witcher 2

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dtat

@Animasta said:

@Dtat said:

@Animasta said:

be easy

Vinny at least gets it and if he only sort of liked it he'd probably have stopped playing by now. I just don't think getting angry or disappointed at them not liking a game is silly.

well except when they all snuffed Nier :(

Remember how long Vinny spent playing Dragon Age 2? He definitely barely liked that game. He's an obsessive completionist. That's what keeps him going in a lot of games. I just wouldn't expect him to be fighting too hard for Dark Souls is all I'm saying. But I also don't get upset at their choices generally.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game of the Year will have guns in it.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zFUBARz
@Dtat

@LordXavierBritish said:

Seconded!

Third'd although spacechem came out this year and maaaN fuck that game so hard
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By Sooty

I couldn't care less about what these guys pick for GOTY. That's not site specific either, I just don't care for all the boring content put out for GOTY nominations towards the end of the year. It's always just a few seconds of people talking about the games, showing a bit of gameplay then announcing what they think is the best game for a certain genre. How very un-interesting.

I don't mind hearing what my friends enjoyed the most this year, I actually know these people.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Valames

I know exactly what you mean. I have not read the rest of the posts, sorry. But, when I read only the first few sentences of this post, it was as if I was the one writing this. You said it man, I am 29 and I have not been this into a game.. since... well, ever! I have NEVER played through a game twice in my MANY years of gaming. I am now on my third play through of this game (I have a lot of time, job interviews not going well, who asked you?!). I was asking my wife if she thought that saying this game that just came out is now on my list of favorite games of all time is a little premature. She believe it was not too early, because like I mentioned earlier, she has never seen me play through a game a second time, let alone a third.

Giant Bomb Staff, I beg you! Play this game, have it in your GOTY discussion. I believe it deserves a fair shake. The sense of adventure in this game reminds me of my all time favorite game, Chrono Trigger. There is something new and unique happening around every corner. The secrets that most people probably wont see have just as many interesting moments as the main path. This makes me want to spend so much time in the world, uncovering every secret this game hides. This game makes me feel like I am in a world that exists and has existed for thousands of years before my rotting undead corpse came along. I remember being in particular zone and wondering, "what the fuck happened here? Why is this place this way now?" I have never really cared before, I always just thought a place looked cool and kept on murderin'.

This game is as if Mega Mans difficulty and the first Zelda's "go in blind" attitude started doing heroine in the Castlevania castle and accidently had a baby and threw it into a dumpster with a bunch of Metroids. GOTY? GOML! (game of my life...) EXCLAMATION POINT

Please Giant Bomb, give losing life a chance.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aetheldod

@Jeffsekai said:

Of all that the only thing that you are right is the graphics , r more appropiately the frame rates ... as the rest you are just being ultra picky , the target system works fine for me , the camera ... you can control it and works fine (also it is agoood idea to not have a lock on when you are fighting on ledges) and the online why is it broken? I have invaded and bein invaded and works ok to me.

Now on the subject matter , well I love Dark Souls ,and for me it is GOTY stuff no doubt , but for the GB crew not I would'nt resent them for that and actually I am amazed of how much they had actually played it and talked about it , is just not their type of game. But I more than certain that it will be GOTY for many folks in here and may even end up highly ranked at the over all votes.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It already doesn't deserve it over Deus Ex and the Witcher, in my opinion.

Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nashvilleskyline

@Valames: Happy to see that I'm not alone in there héhéhé. Thanx for your personal story. My girlfriend no longer knows what to do with me lol...I gotta take some guitar breaks to clear my head...otherwise I think I'll go completely crazy :)

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rawrz

I dont really see the big deal over Game of the Year awards. There all just personal opinions. Just because a website doesnt give a game its GotY award doesnt mean it be your own game of the year.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By huntad

Why would it make you sad if it didn't get GotY? It's not even the 'game overload' time yet/holiday season. What if Batman or Uncharted 3 leaves a better impression on you? I just don't understand why someone else's pick for GotY would infuriate or sadden anyone else. You get to pick what you think your GotY is, you know. In fact, you can pick right now.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Valames

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Jeffsekai said:

That's like asking why anyone gave Oblivion GOTY.

Oh yeah, and this ^

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Scrumdidlyumptious said:
Even considering Batman, the Witcher, Skyrim and Skyward Sword are going to be among the top contenders?
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By benjaebe

@thornie said:

It doesn't matter what the Bombsquad has to say about Dark Souls, it's already won the internet's GOTY. Most journalists hate it, every single non journalist with an internet connection and a forum account loves it.

What? It's been getting great reviews. I've heard writers on a plethora of sites talking about how much they love playing it.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mnzy

I don't know man. Are there any big ass ramps in it?

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By august

I doubt Dark Souls will come up in discussion for any category at the end of the year awards, much less goty.

Unless they make a category like the Northys - Dark Souls wins the Dark Souls category for being the most Dark Souls.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WinterSnowblind said:
@Scrumdidlyumptious said:
Even considering Batman, the Witcher, Skyrim and Skyward Sword are going to be among the top contenders?
Yes. Guns are a criteria for GB GOTY. Batman has guns in it though, so it's still in the running.
phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By phantomzxro

I agree with you man it will be a shame if it goes unnoticed but it is their pick and i look at this site and their motto as its the games they like to review or look at and it is all their opinions on these things and not some professional duty to review or promote every game out there. I may not agree with that but i have learned to accept it, also i think that everyone's top ten list is a great counter measure to this because more games will be highlighted. Like everyone else said giant bomb does have a community game of the year list as well so I'm sure dark souls will rank somewhere on that.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Animasta

the thing I will get angry about is when Catherine gets worst disappointment of the year (no one had any expectations for duke nukem after all)

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By thornie_delete
@benjaebe: Perhaps it's just perception, but all of the game journalists I follow on twitter (none who actually reviewed the game) have bitched about the game on a number of occasions.  Some saying it's not for them, and others outright criticizing it's design choices.  I agree that yes, the majority of those who actually reviewed the game loved it.  But lets face it, they knew what they were getting themselves into before they started to play/review it.
chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By chilibean_3

I'm pretty sure it won't win any site's GOTY award. Some individuals may put it as their own GOTY though.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Dallas_Raines

It'll probably be on Patrick's and Dave's top ten.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#50  Edited By Little_Socrates

If Jeff or Ryan were to review that game, they'd give it pretty low scores. Vinny and Brad are just more suited to that kind of game. If there's no other game anybody's passionate about, I guess it might have a shot? I have a feeling Mortal Kombat, L.A. Noire, The Witcher 2, Batman, Dead Space 2, and Portal 2 have way better chances. Also, I hope TrackMania 2 is nominated in some fashion.

Jeff and Ryan just don't like that genre all that much. Look at Super Meat Boy last year; Jeff and Ryan both acknowledge "that game's great, I have no interest in it." It still wound up tucked nicely onto Alex and Brad's lists, though.