No end of year subscription sale? Bummer.

Sikboy1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sikboy1029

I know there was one a few months back, guess I should've grabbed it then.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

There was a sale a few months back? Shiiiiiiiiiiiit...... I visit the site constantly and never saw a sale. I think Jeff gave memberships away at some point, but I dont recall a sale.. If there really was one then that sucks...

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Rorie posted codes for PAX. Here's the link. I used one about a month or two out and it was still working. Looks like Rorie posted in that thread 10 days ago saying the premium membership ones still work.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where's that zip hoodie!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I don't think there was a sale cause I would've renewed then....but I'm not really sure.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RonGalaxy

@immunity said:

Rorie posted codes for PAX. Here's the link. I used one about a month or two out and it was still working. Looks like Rorie posted in that thread 10 days ago saying the premium membership ones still work.

How do you use those codes? I dont see anywhere to put them, unless you have to do the paypal sign in stuff first

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There hasn't been a sale in about a year (end of last year), but Rorie said that they'd probably do a sale pretty early this year. My guess is that it's gonna go up when the new member shirts are released.

Also, those codes still work.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#8  Edited By alistercat

@naru_joe93: During checkout. It might be after choosing a payment option, but it's there.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, some of those codes still seem to work, so I ordered a yearly membership.

Also, @rorie, I was wondering if you could hold off activating my yearly sub until my monthly runs out, which is Jan 14th. Or does it stack either way?

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda feel like $50 is an alright price for a year with these duders.

Sikboy1029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immunity said:

That's what I was thinking of, thanks!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@naru_joe93: During checkout. It might be after choosing a payment option, but it's there.

I honestly can't, for the life of me, see where I would enter one of those codes to get a Paypal membership...Do I need to click the Checkout button and fill out the form - because that really doesn't make any sense if I'm just using Paypal...

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Okay, some of those codes still seem to work, so I ordered a yearly membership.

Also, @rorie, I was wondering if you could hold off activating my yearly sub until my monthly runs out, which is Jan 14th. Or does it stack either way?

It stacks. I also was disappointed in no sale until Rorie let me know of the codes, they are still good to go!

@alistercat said:

I honestly can't, for the life of me, see where I would enter one of those codes to get a Paypal membership...Do I need to click the Checkout button and fill out the form - because that really doesn't make any sense if I'm just using Paypal...

You have to get right to the screen where you confirm you want to pay before the box appears. I didn't do PayPal but I presume it's after that stuff?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By rorie

We'll hopefully have one this month, but as mentioned earlier, the PAX codes should mostly still work. Those have to be hooked up manually, so it can take a day or two, especially now as I'm digging out from under the support emails that stacked up during the break.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I'm mostly done playing Civ 5 it looks like a good time to renew my premium membership. I didn't see what you posted about having a sale this month so I burned one of the manual sale codes. Sorry Rorie. The $35 sale a couple years ago is what inspired me to become a premium member in the first place since shirts are against my culture.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By alternate

I kinda feel like $50 is an alright price for a year with these duders.

Well "sale" isn't exactly accurate. It is more the option of the sub without the store code - which makes a real difference if you are international and don't want to pay shipping.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think I remember seeing that there might be a sale this month.

Orexis97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: So, I ended up buying one of the Paypal memberships with my credit card, instead of Paypal. Will it still work? I got the confirmation email, but there wasn't a code or anything. Do I just need to wait a few days?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orexis97: "Those have to be hooked up manually, so it can take a day or two, especially now as I'm digging out from under the support emails that stacked up during the break."

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie Giant Bomb does really need a yearly subscription fee without the $15 store code. $35-40/yr is fair imo.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rorie

@pimblycharles: That's what we have the sales for; they're $35 without a shirt or code. We just haven't done one in a while for a variety of reasons. We wanted to do one at the end of the year but some snags came up since we haven't done one since the redesign.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie Yes, I know that's the sale price. As a cheap skate, I depended on those sale prices for the past few years. You duders didn't have one in 2013. It'd be nice to have a non-sale, yearly membership fee, with no store code for $35-40. Personally don't need a tshirt for an extra $15, and I bet others feel the same way.

Regardless, will always support you duders!

comprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to @immunity for the link to the PAX stuff. Being in one of those countries where it costs an arm and two legs to ship stuff I (sadly) don't want the store credit. The code worked perfectly and @rorie got me hooked up within 24 hours (probably wrecking your pinky just a little more). @orexis97 I paid using my credit card (and not paypal, despite what the title said) and it worked fine.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just renewed my subscription, hoping to use one of the PAX codes. I didn't see anywhere for the code to be entered, and the $49.99 dollar price went through in full. I am in the UK so won't be able to use the store code, so this price is a bit more than I was hoping to pay. I don't know it there is any way to get a refund of $15? Either way, I am still happy to support Giant Bomb.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Vanek

@pimblycharles said:

@rorie Yes, I know that's the sale price. As a cheap skate, I depended on those sale prices for the past few years. You duders didn't have one in 2013. It'd be nice to have a non-sale, yearly membership fee, with no store code for $35-40. Personally don't need a tshirt for an extra $15, and I bet others feel the same way.

Regardless, will always support you duders!

I completely agree. I don't understand why there isn't always an option for the yearly subscription without the store code.

As someone who doesn't live in the US I have zero intention of using the code, partly because of the delivery costs but mainly because I'm just not really interested in merchandise, so essentially I'm wasting $15. I love supporting Giant Bomb but it just doesn't make sense having a higher price and forcing a store code on members.

It's not going to stop me from subscribing but I would really like it to be addressed in some way. It's kind of a bummer.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie im trying to use one of the $15 off Yearly Paypal No-Shirt membership codes for yearly membership paypal and at checkout when I put the code it says: The checkout does not meet the requirements set by the shop for this discount (I selected paypal as the choice of payment). Any reason why that happens???

Row

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm almost certainly going to subscribe for the first time once a sale is made official. Actually not too bothered by the prem vids weirdly enough but I just want to show my support for the GB crew since I started visiting 18 months ago. That, and having access to the HD streams when watching on TV will be worth it for next gen quick looks.

Hopefully at some point in the future Gamespot UK will store some of the tshirts available to make it cheaper and easier for us Europeans to get a VinnCo shirt :)

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie im trying to use one of the $15 off Yearly Paypal No-Shirt membership codes for yearly membership paypal and at checkout when I put the code it says: The checkout does not meet the requirements set by the shop for this discount (I selected paypal as the choice of payment). Any reason why that happens???

Most likely the code you were trying to use has used up all of its activations. I would try another one; I'm sure some of them are still active.

Avatar image for hydrotherion1979
hydrotherion1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also waiting for the 35$ sub. I can't find the sub without the shirt or I would try one of the pax codes.

lucky_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The codes seem to be all tapped-out, or at least I'm assuming that's what the message "The checkout does not meet the requirements set by the shop for this discount" means?

Bummer... I mainly watch the premium videos as well, but shipping to Canada is another $10 which in total ends up costing me 70% more than the $35 sub. I guess my options are to either get a monthly $5 membership and hope that there's a $35 sub option in the next month, or just wait it out.

Datajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Datajack

The codes seem to be all tapped-out, or at least I'm assuming that's what the message "The checkout does not meet the requirements set by the shop for this discount" means?

Bummer... I mainly watch the premium videos as well, but shipping to Canada is another $10 which in total ends up costing me 70% more than the $35 sub. I guess my options are to either get a monthly $5 membership and hope that there's a $35 sub option in the next month, or just wait it out.

6MVJB Seems to be working just fine though for $15 if you're still thinking about it. Hmm comes up with taxes for California though, maybe a new thing...don't recall, meh.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I'm looking to premium up myself and was waiting for a Christmas deal. Unfortunately none came so I really hope they put one up early this year.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to throw my hat in here as well as another duder who has been waiting for the sale that usually happens for subscriptions. I hope they aren't a thing of the past.

lucky_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lucky_mike

Ok, I was finally able to get this working with the code @datajack provided. The missing step for me (and likely a few other people) is that I had to manually search (using the store "search" box) for "membership". One of the results will be "Yearly membership no shirt - paypal", which is what you want to add to your cart. Originally I was just clicking on the "PayPal Membership" button at the top of the store... that's NOT what you want. As far as I can see, you have to manually search for the no-tshirt membership.. couldn't see any other way to access that option by navigating the store. Anyway, once you've gotten that added to your cart you DON'T actually need to use PayPal at all. I simply paid using my credit card. See my attached screenshot, all you need is to have that added to your cart, then you can just click "checkout". In the next screen, you will see a box that lets you enter a coupon code. Just use a code above (I used 6MVJB) and press enter. You should see your total drop to $35 without having to actually commit to paying yet. Hope that helps anyone else who was struggling to get the discount codes working.

No Caption Provided
Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By Zleunamme

I assumed a sale would go on during Thanksgiving or Christmas. It did not happen. Was there suppose to be a notification if a subscription is about to expire? I didn't get one. I didn't realize my subscription ran out until I saw ads. Is there going to be new shirts in the store? I was going to save my discount code until then.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By GaspoweR

Well the 50 bucks is kinda of a steal since you get a $15 voucher to use in the store with the $50 membership and got myself one of them HAWT VINN CO SHIRTS!!!