No playable female in Deep Down discussion

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Unless you count the women in games with big breasts, who are barely clothed, I think the issue is more of a lack of female characters with actual personality and character growth, whom are meaningful, than just blatantly terrible female characters. Sexuality is not even the detractor though in some cases. Look at Bayonetta. A very sexualized, yet strong female character who I think was done very well.

90% or even more of all videogame character are pretty shitty to begin with. WE need better writing in general than you also get better female characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji:

Very true, man. That's my issue when the talk of females in gaming being misrepresented comes up. Almost everybody is misrepresented and generalized regardless of race, gender, whatever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hinderk: Just play marvel heroes. You'll see hundreds of deadpools and wolverines.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#204  Edited By hinderk

@lyisa: If I'm understanding this correctly it's even worse than Marvel Heroes. Everyone is the exact same non-customization guy. I guess we'll see how it works as we get closer to release, but it just seems weird to me.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If there was a female it would be Smurfette Principle so the game would be sexist anyway.

All game casts should be a single gender.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I guess we'll see when the game comes out but I find this pretty silly. People assumed it was a game where you get to make your own character, and it turns out it's not, so they're mad.

Alright.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#207  Edited By Slag

The more I hear about Deep Down, the less it sounds like Dragon's Dogma and the less interested I become to play it. Capcom somewhat brought this on themselves by not revealing more about the game ahead of time, so people have gotten the wrong impression about what it is.

Personally I think it's a mistake to not allow customizable characters (including gender) given the premise of the game. I'll withhold judgment until I hear more, but there doesn't seem to be a great reason yet revealed why there has to be such a defined protagonist. I suspect it's mainly due to low budget, Capcom seems to be in a cash crunch. But maybe they will show us a story that really does justify that creative choice.

That being said the principal objection in Hillier's article was inaccurate, probably due to language barrier issues understanding the Japanese livestream, and it should be retracted. Doesn't help anybody to cry wolf when there are legitimate bad practices going on in the industry with this very issue. Mistakes happen, but when they do they should be corrected.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#208  Edited By NMC2008

Deep Down is NOT Dragon's Dogma, I lost interest after the first bit of info came out and it not being anything like Dragon's Dogma, it's more like the Souls games than anything, so no thanks.

Deep down I knew that Deep Down wasn't Dragon's Dogma, but I wanted to believe, especially since I started playing Dragon's Dogma right around the time of the reveal.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By bigjeffrey

@bigjeffrey said:

Panty Raid

Is that what "The Raid" is gonna end up being?

Jeff drunkenly stumbling into the CBSi offices one night with fists full of panties stuffed down his shirt and track pants, raving about Hatsune Miku and the local neighborhood's low security, and as he crumples in front of Brad playing Dark Souls II on stream, letting a wave of torn up panties tumble across the floor, he yells, "F*ck! Look what you made me do! Look at this sh*t! You wanted a Raid. You got your damn Raid!"

And as Vinny starts to pick up the soiled rainbow of panties littered across the floor of the Giant Bomb set, Drew just stares on in silence as the youthful wonder in his eyes slowly fades into the dull tint of innocence lost.

I wish i had the energy to continue this fan fiction with a 5 paragraph highly detailed response. But alas

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@truthtellah said:

@bigjeffrey said:

Panty Raid

Is that what "The Raid" is gonna end up being?

Jeff drunkenly stumbling into the CBSi offices one night with fists full of panties stuffed down his shirt and track pants, raving about Hatsune Miku and the local neighborhood's low security, and as he crumples in front of Brad playing Dark Souls II on stream, letting a wave of torn up panties tumble across the floor, he yells, "F*ck! Look what you made me do! Look at this sh*t! You wanted a Raid. You got your damn Raid!"

And as Vinny starts to pick up the soiled rainbow of panties littered across the floor of the Giant Bomb set, Drew just stares on in silence as the youthful wonder in his eyes slowly fades into the dull tint of innocence lost.

I wish i had the energy to continue this fan fiction with a 5 paragraph highly detailed response. But alas

I believe in you, bigjeffrey.

When you are rested up tomorrow, I know you will live up to your destiny.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I actually think Deep Down is probably the worst example that you could pick for this sort of argument. At least my understanding of the game is that there's not a lot of character customization. I mean for most of the game it seems like you won't even be outside of that armour, right, so why does it matter if you're a male or a female?

I don't know much about the game either, so it's hard to say. I don't really like the article from Brenna Hiller either, as I think it comes off as really rude rather than trying to make a point.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Original_Hank

This is my semi serious answer to this. If I was Capcom I would have like 50 gender options so no one can say they aren't inclusive and then just never have the character outside of complete full armor and also never talk. Now everyone can be what they want to be. Huzzah.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@zevvion said:

@geirr said:

When I play games similar to Dark Souls or any RPGs, I want to make a character down to the finest detail; so the less customization options there are, the less interested I am. I'm ignoring the whole gender war here since it's the internet and it feels pointless, however I personally don't like being limited in character creation. So if you're forced into a male role I can only assume you don't have much choice in your looks either, combined this would be a huge negative for me.

Again, not enough details, but as the dev made it seem from his statement and video's shown so far: there is no character creator. You are just playing the one dude. You know, like Deus Ex: Human Revolution for instance. It's an RPG(ish?) game, but there is only the one guy. No facial customization, that's being done for you when you are ripped to shreds in the tutorial.

But then, I suppose you never asked for that either.

I'm still interested in this game,even more so now that I've seen some gameplay videos on Youtube. However if they're also doing the online thing then I'd really hope there'd be some customization, if not facial, at least in the armor or silly hat department.