"No Video Games in the House" rule for kids

• 60 results
#51 Posted by Eurobum (487 posts) -

@sahalarious said:

To those saying "there are tons of other fun things" yes i suppose....but aren't video games just the fuckin best?

Which is exactly the reason that makes them dangerous. It's both a fun and easy choice, also an easy way out.

The risk here is that a game with a long career mode comes along and takes precedence over any other pastime. Which is already bad enough. In the extreme taking prolonged or even permanent precedence over (home)work, duties and honesty is basically the clinical definition of Gaming Disorder.

Similar thinking also lead to the worldwide obesity epidemic, Isn't sweet taste just the best? - So, the industry started to spike every food and beverage with sugar, while ads convinced consumers that taste, preference and convenience are the only things they should care about.

The single most important condition for academic success, is a willingness to voluntarily engage in any kind of learning. If the kid in his mind has "better" things to do, then that's it.

#52 Posted by BaconHound (299 posts) -

Regarding the sister's apparent change of opinion on video games, that sounds understandable to me.

It sounds cliche, but having a child changes a person's life and perspectives. For years, I thought that when I had a kid I'd be showing him video games and trading controllers back and forth, etc. I had a great deal of fun playing games with my nephew, and I naturally assumed I'd do the same with my own child.

My son is two now and I have no interest in showing him any of that. I'm delighted that he has little to no interest in TV, movies, or "screens" in general. I think it's fantastic that he thinks phones are only for talking to people. I love to hear him say he wants to go outside or read a book, and I'm thrilled at the opportunity to show him new things out in the world.

As others have pointed out, video games have changed. I certainly still enjoy them, but a) I don't have nearly as much free time as I used to have, and b) a larger and larger percentage of games are actively pushing me away with "games as a service" nonsense and/or microtransactions. I want no part of that stuff, and I certainly don't want my child to be marketed to and/or monetized by a flavor-of-the-week, free-to-play piece of garbage software.

All that said, I'm not delusional. WHEN the day comes that my son wants to play games, I'll be happy and excited to play with him. We'll probably start with some classics on a Raspberry Pi and move up slowly to appreciate the improved complexity. He'll probably have an allotted amount of screen time per day, and a new console for Christmas wouldn't be out of the question. I don't think I'll ever be a "no games in the house" person, but I can certainly understand and appreciate the position of somebody who is.

#53 Posted by Sahalarious (788 posts) -

My son's read for hours every night, play Nerf guns and ride bikes every day, spend tons of time with aunt's and uncles and friends, and love the fucking shit out of some videogames. Life is not some complex web of optimization, fun stuff should be enjoyed. If they lose interests in real life I'll curb it, same as I'll change their diet if they get some chub.

#54 Posted by Rebel_Scum (1442 posts) -

I think a console would be better to get for an 8 year old than a handheld. Reason being it's easier to control the screen time for the parent. To say NO video games...for an 8 year old. I would criticise that and yes you can ask questions/be critical of parents and what they do to their kids if they're family.

To suggest otherwise is ridiculous. And kids, I have a few. I'm open to anything someone tells me about my kids and how I raise them if they're family or say a friend/teacher/daycarer/medical professional. Just because your a Mum or Dad doesn't mean you know everything or know whats always best.

Also depriving kids of something will only make them seek it out later in life.

#55 Posted by csl316 (14976 posts) -

My son's read for hours every night, play Nerf guns and ride bikes every day, spend tons of time with aunt's and uncles and friends, and love the fucking shit out of some videogames. Life is not some complex web of optimization, fun stuff should be enjoyed. If they lose interests in real life I'll curb it, same as I'll change their diet if they get some chub.

Wait a minute, that sounds like proper parenting.

#56 Posted by Eurobum (487 posts) -

@relkin: Hard Data exists. Is a simple assertion not an extraordinary claim. It means that there is no reason to remain uninformed or undecided, on the issue, despite it being quite a recent development. It also means that companies that create games with potentially limitless spending, know exactly how many people they victimize.

Rubbing someone's nose in a medical journal is always an option, but only if the person is receptive to and appreciative of that kind of effort. Instead, how about more 2-minute anecdotes and apocrypha?

Loading Video...

#57 Edited by Relkin (1196 posts) -

@eurobum: I'm not saying some people play games to an unhealthy extent, but the link you did actually provide openly admits that studies suggest that only a small proportion of game players are. It's not so great or widespread of a problem that we need speak of it in such a dire tone.

Look back at the post of yours I replied to. It reads pretty absurd; sensationalist, even. Kids are flunking outta school, this is the mother effin reality, Hard Data exists, etc. Read that post of yours again in let's say, Alex Jones's voice, and you'll see what I mean. I didn't mean anything malicious in my reply, I was genuinely curious as to whether or not you were doing a bit(to be totally honest, I still am); you can never tell with people when it's just text.

And hey, let's keep from making some real negative assumptions about each other, if you wouldn't mind. I'm not ignorant on the issue, and I am receptive to empirical evidence. As far as anecdotes go in this thread, that was specifically what the OP was asking for: people's experiences on the subject matter.

#58 Edited by IBMer (55 posts) -

My friend's mom wouldn't let him play games rated above his age so we used to carefully change the stickers on the case. Worked every time.

Good shit. Who knew GTA 3 was rated PEGI 12?

#59 Posted by sammo21 (5974 posts) -

This is literally not a big deal.

#60 Posted by Eurobum (487 posts) -

@relkin: Thanks for looking it up. I linked the World Health Organization mainly for the description of Gaming Disorder. The DSM-5 psychological manual included that definition couple years ago, and apparently now in 2018 the WHO, as well. Just understanding that it's possible for a human made thing and/or commercial product to create a mental disorder should be quite unsettling; to create a mental disorder in kids even more so. With studies usually only including teenagers of 13 years and older, and the questionaire including criteria like "Have you ever been fired from a Job because of a game?" Even this crude, generalized method, produces quite staggering numbers, which I'm not going to debate.

This isn't some unfortunate side effect, the causality is clear as day. Arguing the opposite is like arguing that people would continue smoking if cigarettes weren't addictive or stimulating. Not all smokers die from lung cancer, but they all experience negative effects. Not just one but a multitude of different consequences. Some games to this day even advertise their addictive-ness, to subjects who basically just need some purpose, meaningful activity or structure in their lives.

The industry has figured out how to make them pay and how to keep people coming for more, using the oldest tricks. Which can be quite different and problematic themselves, issues like fraud (as described by Jack Black) and gambling are viewed separately by psychology and legislature.

All free-to-play requires for games to be addictive, manipulative and anti-consumer. Infinite progression, blind boxes, in game item sales all that stuff needs to go. It's not grown-up appropriate (though we can't prohibit foolish adults from doing self-destructive things), but it's sure as heck isn't child appropriate!

Why aren't more people alarmist? Firstly being worried and caring, requires abstract, differentiated understanding and distancing yourself from the issue. I wrote up a long list of other reasons, but scrapped them because the latter is the biggest. Duders can't get over their self-perceived sense of individuality, and over their conditioned response - I'm loving it.

This kind of thinking was lampooned in Idiocracy(2006), sadly I can't share the entire clip.

Frito: I like having sex with chicks.

Guy: Yeah, I think everybody does, Frito.

Frito: Not like I do...

#61 Edited by stabfreely (55 posts) -

Wouldn't be an issue for me if parents would prefer the kids read books...Video games did not exist when I was a kid unless you count Pong. We preferred to be outside riding our mini bikes , trail bikes, swimming, baseball, football, climbing trees , skiing, or on bad days sitting around playing board games.

I love video games now, but they would have interfered with my life and education if I had them growing up...Seeing kids (and myself) ignoring interacting with other folks and ignoring everything else when caught up in a game, is not going to hurt a kid at all.

If I could go back to one specific time in my own life, I would have stopped playing Diablo 2 and spent every minute of that time playing with my daughter....who I ignored for long stretches of gaming time. I made up for it, by not gaming until she was asleep later on. Skiing , ice skating, rollerblading, swimming etc. with her were all worth more than any gaming I have ever done...and believe me I spent thousands and thousands of hours gaming...

Now I will say gaming as an adult is more fun, since I can afford to have a 1080 Ti in my PC a 4K monitor and any system I want...The only thing keeping me from gaming 24/7 (Which I would probably prefer to do) is ...Responsibility and discipline.

Oh and I forgot... my daughter and I racked up tons of hours with "Lego Star Wars" and other 2 player games...almost forgot about that. We had tons of laughs...and her and her Fiance try to game together in my "Man Cave" every chance they get (Including last night) . They were both restricted from gaming through their teen years in favor of education and Musical commitments....With out going into their college educations...It paid off for them.

#62 Edited by blackiyto (4 posts) -

It’s just going to make him seek out games at his friends houses and other places.

https://inro.in/lucky-patcher/

https://inro.in/9apps/

https://inro.in/vidmate/