• 123 results
pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pyrodactyl

From reading the comments on a lot of quicklooks recently, I have noticed a trend from a few dickhead users complaining about the fact that Patrick is in all the Quicklooks.

I did some research and, starting from the end of the holiday break, Patrick has been on 60% of all Quicklooks. I agree, that number is a little excessive but now, I have to ask the important question: What the fuck are the rest of the crew doing? It's not like Patrick is the Quicklook guy and doesn't have any other responsibility. I'm sure Vinny is very busy with video and production stuff and Jeff is deep into meeting and corporate hell (thanks CBS) but what about Ryan and Brad?

It's not about Patrick being in less quicklooks since those are great, it's about the other guys stepping up their game so there is more of a balance between different members of the staff in the different videos.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By morningstar

They are bathing in cash and laughing at us mortals. As it should be.

Avatar image for blastprocessing
BlastProcessing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By BlastProcessing

Brad is busy preparing for his departure from the site.

MikeW1980UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikeW1980UK

I hate Patrick hate.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

Brad is reading strategy guides to prep for the next Bradley May Cry.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Funkydupe

@pyrodactyl: They play games, drink scotch, eat snacks received in the mail while getting paid.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta

I agree with you and I like Patrick.

I just don't like him with Ryan honestly.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By theguy

Jesus the responses to the Patrick hate are as bad as annoying as the hate itself. Can we just drop the whole thing? Anyway I'm sure all the guys are busy considering they're relaunching the site and all. They need more than just a few engineers for that.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FunkasaurasRex
@BlastProcessing

Those office supplies won't steal their selves after all.
pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By pr1mus

Look at the number of weird obscure indie games they've been quick looking since the year started. Now try to imagine how many of those would have received a quick look without Patrick on staff.

I'm sure the number is probably close to zero.

Jeff and Brad tend to quick look bigger more traditional stuff and there hasn't been a ton of it yet. Vinny is all over the place in what he quick looks, Dave is making a site and Ryan is Patrick's other half so not sure why your asking where he is. He's in almost every Patrick quick look.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Superkenon

@pyrodactyl said:

I'm sure Vinny is very busy with video and production stuff and Jeff is deep into meeting and corporate hell (thanks CBS) but what about Ryan and Brad?

They're busy being the 'second guy' in these rotating Patrick QLs.

The question shouldn't be "what's everyone else doing?" It should be "why can't anyone else be in the same place at the same time?"

Of course, the answer is that they're all the same person.

Avatar image for ekpyroticuniverse
Ekpyroticuniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Pr1mus said:

Look at the number of weird obscure indie games they've been quick looking since the year started. Now try to imagine how many of those would have received a quick look without Patrick on staff.

Jeff and Brad tend to quick look bigger more traditional stuff and there hasn't been a ton of it yet. Vinny is all over the place in what he quick looks, Dave is making a site and Ryan is Patrick's other half so not sure why your asking where he is. He's in almost every Patrick quick look.

this pretty much nails it.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheHumanDove

@BlastProcessing said:

Brad already quit after the dead space review

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I really find Patrick to say a lot of objectionable stuff, but he is probably the hardest worker on the staff.

I would actually like to know Ryan's editorial duties or whatever. Because from the outside it just looks like he hosts three things a week and then fucks around on Twitter the rest of the time. Good fucking work if you can get it.

Jeff pulls homework with Jar Time, Patrick was doing it for a bit with Spookin, Alex and Jeff have done Encyclopedia Bombastica videos.

Perhaps this is just an example of someone who works 40 hour weeks being bitchy. Yet bitch I must.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By GaspoweR

@Superkenon said:

@pyrodactyl said:

I'm sure Vinny is very busy with video and production stuff and Jeff is deep into meeting and corporate hell (thanks CBS) but what about Ryan and Brad?

They're busy being the 'second guy' in these rotating Patrick QLs.

The question shouldn't be "what's everyone else doing?" It should be "why can't anyone else be in the same place at the same time?"

Of course, the answer is that they're all the same person.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nev

I don't dislike Patrick, but I wouldn't mind some variety with the QLs. Six dudes on staff, not counting the often extras like Dave and Alexis, It'd just be nice if other duders would more often pop in some QLs, even if they aren't that into the game being quick looked. Need me some more Vinny, I guess. *shrug*

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Pr1mus said:

I'm sure you're right about the indy stuff but the staff has proven before that they can be creative with their quicklook selection. The more memorable stuff from the entire collection has been the bad games like that firefighter quicklook or the indy game collection on xbox 360.

Also, Ryan has been on 1/3 of all quicklooks since the break and 80% of those were with Patrick. So he has been on about 40% of Patrick's quicklooks. Far from ''almost all''

@Brodehouse said:

I would actually like to know Ryan's editorial duties or whatever. Because from the outside it just looks like he hosts three things a week and then fucks around on Twitter the rest of the time. Good fucking work if you can get it.

I would be interested too, seem like he also edits the podcast but I'm not sure how much work that is. He also books apointments and does a fair amount of emailing devellopers and stuff to get interviews.

Brad is weirder, seems like he plays games for review all day long. I'm sure a review takes a fair amount of time to write but his content output seems about a review and a 1 hour quicklook/ week.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By The_Nubster

From the sounds of it, when they used to lay out what they were doing during those Radio Dave livecasts, it seems like Jeff is the guy who takes the bullets for meetings, since he's the founder of the site, and Brad spends a lot of time emailing developers and doing research on games (and probably fucking around on the new site to find bugs and shit). Vinny and Drew are knee-deep in video production constantly, Patrick is watching TED talks and conducting interviews (as well as doing a fuck-butt-ton of QLs, which I really appreciate), but I really got no dice on what Ryan's up to. But I don't really care. I feel as if I'm getting my money's worth and I dig that.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ducksworth

They should go get the security guard from the parking lot and do a quicklook with him.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ravenlight

@BlastProcessing said:

Fuck the haters. This joke is always funny.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By cornbredx

You guys are stricter bosses than mine. 

Why does it matter? Why do you need to know what they are doing every minute of the day? 

I know you guys are bored, but come on. Their doing what they need to do to keep the site going. It's not 9 hours a day (or more) of them just recording podcasts and doing quick looks. They do other stuff too (a lot of which you wont know about until sometimes months later). A lot of running this site is just making plans, calling people, and going to meetings. 

I don't know everything they do, but I'm positive they are not just sitting around twiddling their thumbs (well, most of the time =P  ) 

It's like an almost 4 hour podcast and 3+ hour friday show aren't enough for some people haha. That's more content then most game related sites alone, and they do even more stuff on top of that

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Ruiner

I don't really think not enjoying Patrick Quick Looks is the same as hating Patrick... Patrick is a great news guy and he's fun in TNT, UPF, and most group stuff...but the QuickLooks he drives are not very entertaining. And entertainment is what draws me to this site's video content. I can get footage on youtube and i can get more informative Quicklook style videos on GameInformer. The GiantBomb crew is often pretty uninformed about a lot of the games they cover, but I come here for the humor and the personality. Patrick Quicklooks just simply aren't that entertaining unless they pair him with someone like Jeff or Vinny... again I think Patrick is cool, I like having him here...but his Quicklook game isn't as good as the other guys. But again he's a lot newer to all this stuff so maybe he'll get better...I guess we'll see.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By laserbolts

Some people don't like Patrick. Get over it. The defense force is the most annoying part of this whole thing. Edit after actually reading the OP. I demand 8 hours of content out of each staff member daily.

Philanthropy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Philanthropy

They said they were just settling in at CBSi, now they have no other excuse after the new site launches.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Branthog

They have X amount of content to create with Y amount of people. Sometimes one group is available to make a lot of one type of content while the other groups are busy doing other stuff. The mixes and matches change now and then and the alternative is probably to have none of the content, at all, because -- you know -- you can't just fucking have Vinny and Brad create every single piece of content on the site.

Also, people are pissy little dicks. The quicklooks are generally pretty good, no matter who is in them.

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KittyVonDoom

Patrick should be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ravenlight said:

@BlastProcessing said:

Fuck the haters. This joke is always never funny.

Fixed that for you

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By pr1mus

I'm gonna try and take a wild guess at what a typical week for one of the staff might be like.

Let's take Brad for this example. Also bullet points!

• Bombcast: 3 hours
  • Unprofessional Friday: 3 hours
  • Let's say 2 quick looks: Average 30 mins each, so 1 hour.
  • Dead Space 3 review: 20 hours
  • Writing said review: Here i've got no idea how fast or slow each guy writes but for the sake of the example let's say 5 hours in total. (taking notes, first draft, proof reading, modification as needed to better reflect the score etc.)
  • TNT: 2h

Alright that's 34 hours. That just the end result of what we see. All the remaining behind the scene stuff like day to day operation of the site and crew, meetings, dev/publisher communications, planning for upcoming events and obviously all the work that goes into making the quick looks and live streams and other stuff happen because guess what, this ain't made of magic, they don't just materialize with a complete quick look or stream in their hands. Also the other random stuff that pops up just because, like Bradley May Cry or Jar Time.

Replace the 20 hours of play time to review the game with 20 hours of meeting and day to day running of the asylum for Jeff and possibly Ryan, or all the time spent by Vinny and Drew doing their magic with the videos and don't forget that they're also there in the control room for the recording of quick looks, not just live streams.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Philanthropy said:

They said they were just settling in at CBSi, now they have no other excuse after the new site launches.

aside from the several months it will take to fix all the bugs?

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By superfriend

@KittyVonDoom said:

Patrick should be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

heh, yeah and then he goes back to his homeplanet or something in a crudely drawn piece of animation.

On Topic: The last thing I want Giantbomb to become is some sort of content creating machine. If the guys can somehow still cover the games they want to cover, I´m okay.. but I still think they should hire one extra writer/personality-type to take the load off their shoulders. Oh and if CBS somehow wants this site to only cover indie games, it´s gonna suuuuuuck. Indie games have a place on GB, they just shouldn´t be the main focus.

Edit: Forgot the most important part: Meetings- killing all creativity since 1969.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By casper_

patrick says some stuff that bums me out but hes obviously more than pulling his weight.

maybe the issue is that they only have 5 dudes to cover all the video/editorial stuff stuff on this site and need to expand their staff. they seem to be moving in the direction of a more traditional bigger video game website as far as coverage/news/content and to do that well you need people dedicated to certain tasks.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By galacticgravy

@pyrodactyl said:

...it's about the other guys stepping up their game...

You're assuming a lot by saying that they're not giving the site their all. You don't know them or what their days are like. What you see is only a sliver of edited time, and you really can't judge them based on that.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By handlas

lol so many of these threads all the time.

And, ya know, I often wonder myself. Jeff says he's a busy guy all the time. I wonder what they all do on a daily basis. We just don't see it on our end. One or two 30 minute quicklooks a day (if that), a 3 hour show at the end of the week and a few articles (mostly by Patrick or Alex) during the week. What else is going on?

I get they play games as well but what else is going on when they are in the office. From podcasts it sounds like a lot of them don't even finish a lot of the games they play. For instance, Jeff said he never even finished Dead Space 1. Which is fine... don't like the game then why should he play it? He is the boss so I'm sure he is the busier of the rest of them in meetings and what-not.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ghostiet
@Ravenlight said:

@BlastProcessing said:

Fuck the haters. This joke is always funny.

There's something more funny: Brad is leaving?
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@pyrodactyl: Having done the editing on a community podcast (nothing game or giant bomb related) for a couple years, I can tell you that editing a podcast is a lot of fucking work.

A lot.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Shookems

I like Patrick on quick looks fine, I just miss Vinny.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By Zleunamme

Every time I see a forum post with the name Patrick in the title without a surname. I'll assume that you are talking about Patrick Swayze. In any case what do have against Patrick Swayze?

No Caption Provided
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Skytylz

I think we have more patrick defense threads then patrick hate threads.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By bushpusherr

All I know is that from the "Behind the Scenes" video they did for how TNT's are produced, that there is probably a SHIT TON more that they do then we are even aware of. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xMrSunshine

They need to get used to the new office.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By prestonhedges

@pyrodactyl said:

I have noticed a trend from a few dickhead users complaining about the fact that Patrick is in all the Quicklooks.

It's more than a few. Practially every time he shows up, people complain. There's probably a reason for that that doesn't involve a massive conspiracy. Maybe he's just massively disliked.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Brundage

Patrick is clearly the hipster of the group. As far as quick looks go, he should just stick to indies and the occasional obscure AAA.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Oldirtybearon said:

@pyrodactyl: Having done the editing on a community podcast (nothing game or giant bomb related) for a couple years, I can tell you that editing a podcast is a lot of fucking work.

A lot.

Could you run down the process for me, I'm genuinly curious.

From my very limited knowledge of audio/video production I would've guess it went something like:

1. Here are the 5 audio files from the mics, they're syncronised during recording, press this button to mix into a single file
  2. Press this button to normalise the audio
  3. find the part where they talk about video games/news/emails and drag the audio files for the different intros in there
  4. press this button to compress into an mp3 file

Estimated time: 15 minutes. This is obviously far from reallity since I remember Will Smith talking about how Ryan spent a large amount of time on podcast editing. I wonder why some smart sofware engineers didn't come up with a thing that does all that by pressing a single button or at least makes it really simple and quick.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Insectecutor

Patrick is young, diligent and eager to please. This makes him stand out from the more veteran crew who've seen a lot of crazy shit and are more comfortable with where they're at.

I think he's a bit shy and awkward sometimes, he tends to describe stuff as "interesting" or (super interesting) and not elaborate, I'm not sure why. It makes him seem like he's got nothing to back up his opinions when he clearly has. He should open up a bit more and put on less of a front.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Sooty

This is one reason why I don't subscribe, there's not really much content for a free website let alone a membership.

and by that I mean it doesn't feel like much gets done aside from what Patrick, Alex and the video crew do.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By pyrodactyl

@prestonhedges said:

@pyrodactyl said:

I have noticed a trend from a few dickhead users complaining about the fact that Patrick is in all the Quicklooks.

It's more than a few. Practially every time he shows up, people complain. There's probably a reason for that that doesn't involve a massive conspiracy. Maybe he's just massively disliked.

Yeah, no... When you read the comments under Patrick's quicklooks, you see 2 or 3 people being assholes saying stuff like ''ugh Patrick AGAIN'' and 10 or 20 people shitting down said 2 or 3 people's throats. Deserved shitting might I add.

If you hate the guy, don't watch the quicklooks he's in and complain to the other guys about the fact that they don't do nearly enough quicklooks.

ohvee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ohvee

@prestonhedges said:

@pyrodactyl said:

The negative crowd is always the loudest. That doesn't mean that their numbers are large.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Sooty said:

This is one reason why I don't subscribe, there's not really much content for a free website let alone a membership.

3 hours every friday+other premium videos seems like a fair deal to me.