• 123 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

IGN has gotten alot better these days never thought I say that.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@prestonhedges said:

@pyrodactyl said:

I have noticed a trend from a few dickhead users complaining about the fact that Patrick is in all the Quicklooks.

It's more than a few. Practially every time he shows up, people complain. There's probably a reason for that that doesn't involve a massive conspiracy. Maybe he's just massively disliked.

Only idiot children would click on an article/video just to say "FUCK THIS GUY!!!!" over and over. Anyway, just try looking at the comment sections of videos/reviews the crew did at Gamestop and you'll see similar comments.(Though, I don't know if Patrick has received death threats yet.) The internet is a terrible place full of horrible, anonymous assholes who were probably homeschooled and never developed proper social skills/had friends.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By Sooty

@pyrodactyl said:

@Sooty said:

This is one reason why I don't subscribe, there's not really much content for a free website let alone a membership.

3 hours every friday+other premium videos seems like a fair deal to me.

Maybe during the days of Whiskey Media but now I just don't see why the premium membership exists for the amount of bonus content given.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Insectecutor

@Ohvee said:

@prestonhedges said:

@pyrodactyl said:

I have noticed a trend from a few dickhead users complaining about the fact that Patrick is in all the Quicklooks.

It's more than a few. Practially every time he shows up, people complain. There's probably a reason for that that doesn't involve a massive conspiracy. Maybe he's just massively disliked.

The negative crowd is always the loudest. That doesn't mean that their numbers are large.

It's not cool to insult the staff, I believe you can get banned for it although I'm not sure. I think everyone was cool until he started posting poorly pitched puritanical articles that drew a tacit association between gamers and misogyny and pissed a lot of people off. People don't appreciate being reminded their favourite pastime is a terrible cesspit of lewd bullshit. The tone was wrong. He should have said that gamers are being misrepresented by these PR stunts, but he didn't, and in attacking the games industry he gave the PR stunt more coverage than it would've gotten otherwise. Shame. I wouldn't have known there was Dead Island DLC but I sure as hell do now.

Also Patrick is in a lot of quick looks for stuff that may not otherwise be covered. It's not so hard to tell if a quick look will feature Patrick because it tends to be of some free indy game or "also ran" which don't play to the format very well. A weekly scripted video round-up would be a better way of presenting that stuff, and Patrick is probably the only member of staff who is eager enough to do something like that these days.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By ProfessorEss
@The_Ruiner said:

Patrick is a great news guy and he's fun in TNT, UPF, and most group stuff...but the QuickLooks he drives are not very entertaining.

Personally, I think I prefer him as a quick-looker than a news guy. 
I can remember enjoying quick-looks with him in it, I can't recall any particularly good news pieces though(?). 

I'm not always a fan of what he does but man, if he wasn't doing it there really wouldn't be a whole lot of content on this site.
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#56  Edited By Undeadpool

@Funkydupe said:

@pyrodactyl: They play games, drink scotch, eat snacks received in the mail while getting paid.

They work hard at cultivating images like this.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By MistaSparkle
pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Sooty said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@Sooty said:

This is one reason why I don't subscribe, there's not really much content for a free website let alone a membership.

3 hours every friday+other premium videos seems like a fair deal to me.

Maybe during the days of Whiskey Media but now I just don't see why the premium membership exists for the amount of bonus content given.

More than 4 hours of premium content per week in the past 3 weeks. 4h15 last week, 4h30 2 weeks ago, 4h30 3 weeks ago. Very funny and/or interesting content too. My subscription was never this profitable.

RageKage14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By RageKage14

@pyrodactyl: I don't think we should be telling other users what they can and cannot post on the website

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SeanFoster

Love him or hate him, Patrick seems to actually be interested in looking at these games. If not for him, instead of Patrick bitching threads, there'd be a bunch of "Where's some goddamn content?" threads.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By MakoTitan
@FunkasaurasRex I know this is fun and games, but is he really leaving? Your not the first I've heard this from.
MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MakoTitan
@pyrodactyl they review one thing a week??? Where??? WHERE DAMNIT!!!
jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jozzy

@SeanFoster said:

Love him or hate him, Patrick seems to actually be interested in looking at these games. If not for him, instead of Patrick bitching threads, there'd be a bunch of "Where's some goddamn content?" threads.

That's the real issue indeed. And exactly what the OP is saying, if I understand it correctly.

I have to admit to having a "Patrick again?!" moment with the Gangsters and Sly Cooper QL's this morning. And I like Patrick.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By vaiz

@pyrodactyl said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

@pyrodactyl: Having done the editing on a community podcast (nothing game or giant bomb related) for a couple years, I can tell you that editing a podcast is a lot of fucking work.

A lot.

Could you run down the process for me, I'm genuinly curious.

From my very limited knowledge of audio/video production I would've guess it went something like:

1. Here are the 5 audio files from the mics, they're syncronised during recording, press this button to mix into a single file
  2. Press this button to normalise the audio
  3. find the part where they talk about video games/news/emails and drag the audio files for the different intros in there
  4. press this button to compress into an mp3 file

Estimated time: 15 minutes. This is obviously far from reallity since I remember Will Smith talking about how Ryan spent a large amount of time on podcast editing. I wonder why some smart sofware engineers didn't come up with a thing that does all that by pressing a single button or at least makes it really simple and quick.

At a bare, lazy minimum, sure. The important step you left out was the actual editing part. Listening to the entire podcast to make sure there are no moments that need to be cut out or are corrupted/inaudible for whatever reason. It is a 100% quality control process. If you don't believe that's a necessary step, there are a few Bombcasts in memory (No, I can't point them out by date, I'm not that guy) that involved either tweaking to the audio because something went wrong during the recording (One of the GOTY casts had this issue), or something needed to be cut out. Also, it can take 15 minutes just to pipe out a 3 hour MP3 file. Minimum.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By PhilipDuck

You guys talking about BIGNASTY ?

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By MakoTitan

Patrick, to me, is a like a kid just trying to fit in. Watch him the next time he makes a joke on camera. He looks to see who is laughing. He knows he's the new guy, and with that comes some distance for a while with the users.

I say if he REALLY wants acceptance, he needs to eat the clam chowder, chilli, dog food stew challenge from brad!

RageKage14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By RageKage14

What annoys me about Patrick is his need to lump everything into generalized categories with his incessant "this type of game/these types of games" comments. What's worse is when he doesn't even explain what "these types of games" is supposed to mean.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By MakoTitan
@Insectecutor or everything is endearing or an indie darling.
YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By YOU_DIED

I'm indifferent about Patrick, why can't we have a thread for people like me?

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By FunkasaurasRex
@vegetashonor
@FunkasaurasRex I know this is fun and games, but is he really leaving? Your not the first I've heard this from.
Yes and Jeff and Ryan will soon begin preparing for their presidential campaign in 2016.

Gerstmann/Davis 2016 Sending America into the stars and murderers into the sun.
fiberpay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By fiberpay

Clrealy not many of you have ran a business before. As there are a ton of behind them scene thing's that need to be done. Also, if you figure in this is the slow time of the year, there is not going to me much content going up on a game site if not alot of games are coming out. It's like asking why is there no football on this week.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#72  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I've had the same question.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By DaMisterChief

Fuck Patrick, I love Patrick

arch4non

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By arch4non

I'm not saying I hate Patrick, but he is my least favorite guy on staff. I don't know if it's just selective memory or what, but every time Patrick tells a story on the Bombcast it's usually about something mean he's done or some way he inconvenienced someone else. Those are not the kinds of stories I like hearing. What I like are debates on the merits of pennies, drill buckets, poor financial decisions, and the occasional Chris with a white car. Maybe it's just the amount of life experience they've all had? I don't know, all I can say for sure is I used to listen to the Bombcast on a weekly basis, but now I just kinda skip a bunch and listen to it once or twice a month.

Encyclopedia Bombastica is currently my favorite feature on the site because it's the only thing which hasn't been infiltrated by Patrick. It's just Jeff giving history lessons on old, sometimes influential games. I wish Vinny/Dave/Drew would do more Quick Looks, or anything, really. The site is reaching critical levels of Patrick saturation.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mrfluke

patrick wrote about this on his tumblr, hes in these quicklooks cause the other guys are apparently either

sick

busy with appointments

busy reviewing games

out on assignments.

ill try and find his response on tumblr

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#76  Edited By DarthOrange

@JEC03 said:

IGN has gotten alot better these days never thought I say that.

Yea, what with the staff taking off their shirts.

I think Jeff should do the same before Giant Bomb gets left behind.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#77  Edited By Humanity

Sometimes I imagine they just dick around all day but that's only because I have no clue what actually goes on in the office. I'd love to know but for all the site transparency this is something they don't care to discuss.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

I'm flagging this just because I can.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Nux

They are getting ready for E3.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By WMWA

Jeez, you’re all meat peepers. Quit worrying about what other people are doing. Better yourself in the meantime.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#81  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Who am I to question the brilliance that is Giant Bomb in relation to how they operate. Things are slow right now. Were in a weird transitional period as far as the consoles and the new website goes. Maybe once the website launches we'll get more feature's like Bradley May Cry and shenanigans of the like. I'm just glad they're doing something like Unprofessional Friday's to fill some of the void. To address the article, Personally, I think Patrick is great and just as good as the rest of the crew. I don't have a problem with him being in most the quick looks. I do recognize there should be more variety though.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Peanut

Honestly, if one dude on your personality driven website is the only one around to make content, because the other personalities are doing things that don't involve being a personality, then you've fucked up somewhere.

I've learned to live with the fact that Patrick is ever present on the site, but I also get really disappointed when every other piece of video content that comes out is Patrick and Ryan doing their tired shtick. That dynamic has been driven into the fucking ground.

I'm still completely cool with the site, because I think Unprofessional Fridays is great, but the day-to-day shit has felt stale to me for awhile.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By prestonhedges

@Peanut said:

Honestly, if one dude on your personality driven website is the only one around to make content, because the other personalities are doing things that don't involve being a personality, then you've fucked up somewhere.

Exactly. I thought they started this website to avoid corporate bullshit. But then again, they also started this website to avoid having ads plastered everywhere, and that went out the window.

ZeroV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#84  Edited By ZeroV2

@Peanut said:

I've learned to live with the fact that Patrick is ever present on the site, but I also get really disappointed when every other piece of video content that comes out is Patrick and Ryan doing their tired shtick. That dynamic has been driven into the fucking ground.

I'm still completely cool with the site, because I think Unprofessional Fridays is great, but the day-to-day shit has felt stale to me for awhile.

Agreed, and well put.

I'm sorry the staff sans Patrick can't take time out of their busy day to play some video games. On their video games website.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#85  Edited By Jams

I really don't want to single any of the guys out on this. Although I will say I would like to see more variety of hosts in the quick looks. Seeing the same 2 guys for weeks at a time can get boring. Having 2 or 3 spots to fill for a quick look seems like their would be enough options to keep who the two are fresh each week.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By zeforgotten

I like their Quick Looks but having the same people do "all"(not really) the quick looks gets a little boring, would like to see more of the other staff dudes get in on it again. 
Or hell, mix it up and try and bring some of the Gamespot guys to the Quick Looks or something, I wouldn't mind that. 

Then again, I'm not one of those kids who whined about Gamespot being the devil and it eating babies and stuff like that. 

heretic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By heretic

It's ok guys. Obviously they are taking time out to make the next Vinny/Jeff endurance run.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By theveej

@mrfluke said:

patrick wrote about this on his tumblr, hes in these quicklooks cause the other guys are apparently either

sick

busy with appointments

busy reviewing games

out on assignments.

ill try and find his response on tumblr

You don't even need to go on his tumblr to know this. If anyone is paying attention to the content going up they could have already deduce that from QLs, ILM, Bombcast, Reveiws and Unprofessional Fridays.

I have not notice a dip in the quality or quantity of content, but hey that's just me. Frankly Patrick doesn't offend me any more than anyone else on the crew. I mean I like the other crew members more, but man they have all said some incredibly stupid an thoughtless stuff over the years, except vinny and drew........... THEY CAN DO NO WRONG.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#89  Edited By GreggD

@ZeForgotten said:

I like their Quick Looks but having the same people do "all"(not really) the quick looks gets a little boring, would like to see more of the other staff dudes get in on it again. Or hell, mix it up and try and bring some of the Gamespot guys to the Quick Looks or something, I wouldn't mind that. Then again, I'm not one of those kids who whined about Gamespot being the devil and it eating babies and stuff like that.

When Danny O'Dwyer is in America, I would love for him to sit in on a Quick Look with Vinny. I've come to realize those two are very similar in their approach to games, and I think there could be a good dynamic to be found there.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By RedRavN

I think a bit more variety in pairings for quicklooks might help things a bit. I hope we get more with jeff and vinny when they are less busy. I dont think that patrick and ryan is played out. I thought the omerta: city of gangsters quicklooks was really nicely done. It was a nice look at the game systems as they figured them out together.

I'm not sure what people's problem is with Patrick. Without him, we would not have had half as many quicklooks of some of these more "obscure" titles. Patrick has had some of the most insightful comments on a lot of things and I think people don't like it so much when he discusses how he "feels" about certain things and not just points out what is. But I think that type of commentary is somewhat more interesting than just discussing factual stuff, although both are clearly important and he does both. Patrick also has a knack for organization in the quicklooks. For example, in the recent sly cooper quick look he was able to succinctly discuss the history of the franchise, they type of gameplay on offer and how the game fits into the current market while actually playing the game. I have to say, I dont really think that would have been so smooth if brad or ryan had been leading. There would have been a lot of faffing about, staring at menus and not knowing important things about the game. It might not have necessarily been worse but just would have been a different kind of quicklook.

I think really what it comes down to is that people need to stop latching on to certain staff as favorites and then attacking others like they are trying to protect against the forced desecration of their most sacred man cave. I mean please guys its juvenile, dumb and a total waste of your time. Its not like anyone is forcing you to watch certain things.

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By FierceDeity

@FunkasaurasRex said:

@vegetashonor
Yes and Jeff and Ryan will soon begin preparing for their presidential campaign in 2016. Gerstmann/Davis 2016 Sending America into the stars and murderers into the sun.

Wow! I didn't know Jeff and Ryan supported capital punishment. I hope Brad will do well at his new job though. I know I'll miss having him around.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#92  Edited By Darson

I don't see an issue with it. But still, fuck Ryan Davis.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@theveej said:

I mean I like the other crew members more, but man they have all said some incredibly stupid an thoughtless stuff over the years, except vinny and drew........... THEY CAN DO NO WRONG.

I was put off for a moment when Drew said he preferred Aliens to Alien during Spookin' with Scoops, but then I glanced at his golden locks and all hostility melted away.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By triple07

I agree. I like Patrick but hes been the only one doing quicklooks lately. I get Vinny since he does work but I guess Jeff is fucked by meetings or something and Brad is doing...?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Hunter5024

Yeah no offense to Patrick, but some variety would be quite welcome. They should get some more interns, and just send one of those as Jeff's proxy to all of the meetings.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I'm just tired of quicklooks (and Patrick) in general, the only interesting piece of content lately has been the Unprofessional Fridays. What happened to the produced content like TANG or even video reviews? Everything seems to be live or just done on spot, I used to watch almost everything and be excited for new content, not so much anymore.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Karl_Boss

@Ravenlight said:

@BlastProcessing said:

Brad is busy preparing for his departure from the site.

Fuck the haters. This joke is always funny.

Agreed, only giantbomb meme I actually like.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#98  Edited By PixelPrinny

@Bucketdeth said:

I'm just tired of quicklooks (and Patrick) in general, the only interesting piece of content lately has been the Unprofessional Fridays. What happened to the produced content like TANG or even video reviews? Everything seems to be live or just done on spot, I used to watch almost everything and be excited for new content, not so much anymore.

I hate to say it, but I feel much the same. A general sense of apathy towards the content of late led me to cancel my subscription and adopt the attitude of "I'll just resubscribe for a month when there's enough Jar videos and other paid content that piques my interest". I guess that makes me sound like an entitled ass to some extent, but hey, I was paying for content. What would someone expect me to say if I feel like I didn't get my money's worth? Regardless, I've sort of moved on when it comes to video content. TotalBiscuit's WTF is... series generally does a better job of answering all the questions I have about new titles, for example. A bit ironic, I suppose, considering that series was directly inspired by the Quicklooks and has now eclipsed them.

At least there'll always be the Bombcast.... right?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#99  Edited By AndrewB

LET'S ALL PERPETUALLY TALK ABOUT THE STAFF IN A NEGATIVE MANNER UNLESS IT'S VINNY!

zrais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By zrais

You guys are over thinking this.