Not enough RPG and mediocre story.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By TomA

While Mass Effect 2 was alot better than Mass Effect one in terms of combat and technical stability, I really miss the loot quest from the first game, the better story( i thought the second ones story was very mediocre, and didn't explain some of the important things very well, like Harbinger). Also the the commercials wasn't really  an accurate representation of what you are doing in this game, sure you're gathering a team, but not once did i hear someone say "The Lost." I also miss all the different powers and abilities from the first game, now it's much more streamlined and its hardly even an RPG really. Do you guys agree or do you not really care about that stuff?

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Jost1

The story was fine and had some subtlety, that's why they didn't beat you over the head with the Harbinger stuff. It wasn't that hard to figure out dude.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Jost1

Also every streamlined feature is better than in ME1, for real.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By The_Philosopher

No, i think it's great. Also how does the commerical effect the quality of the game?
fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By fripplebubby
@The_Philosopher said:
" No, i think it's great. Also how does the commerical effect the quality of the game? "
Drastically, that's how.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By the8bitNacho

I agree where the story's concerned.  The overarching plot had very, very little substance.  I felt like hundreds of thousands of humans being captured and harvested was something I should probably care about, but it never actually happened. 

The narrative surrounding the individual characters, however, was excellent.

walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By walreese55

I just finished the game, and i was really surprised. There is basically no story in this game. You gather a team, go on a mission, beat the boss, and end game. The reaper and collector stuff was kind of cool but it never really developed into a story. Science fiction lives and dies with its story. I understand it's part of a trilogy, but a game should not serve merely as glue connecting the beginning and end together. 

Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By The_Philosopher
@Fripplebubby said:
" @The_Philosopher said:
" No, i think it's great. Also how does the commerical effect the quality of the game? "
Drastically, that's how. "

I hope that was sarcasm :)
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@TomA said:

" Do you guys agree or do you not really care about that stuff? "

I think for me, it's a little of both.  In many ways Mass Effect 2 reminds me of The Empire Strikes back in that it's building the story elements without actually letting you win over the 'true' big bad of the ME unverse, so that can leave you feeling like it was a shallow victory (even if your whole team makes it out alive).  I found that ME 2 unlike 1 was a lot less fiddly due to the streamlining of the less than spectacular elements of loot management and the Mako but in some ways it leaves the game feeling like it's a lot more linear in approach.  Not that that's a totally awful thing in of itself, because without some guidance, it could be quite easy to feel lost in such a big game.  

However, once you start getting a handle on the overworld and combat elements, you do tend to see a lot of rinse repeat gameplay which is skinned (not skimmed just incase anyone misunderstands) to make it seem like there's more variety than there really is.   Landing and docking always leads to fetch, combat and loyalty quests which are broken up by memory matching minigames, while space navigation is just a matter of reading emails, scanning planets and managing fuel and probe reserves.  

Research is a curious thing in ME2 because you'll often find it being artificially slowed by the inability to research an upgrade because you need research 1 more of 5 X weapon/armor etc upgrades first because you're missing whatever number necessary to allow you to move onto a better level of armor or weapon, even if you have plentiful enough resources to research said upgrade AND the ones before it at the same time.  You're forced to wait until you dock/land again and either find or purchase the upgrades.  This to me makes it feel a little like Bioware where concerned that players could become too overpowered too quickly and so had to artificially slow the upgrades process down for players who were willing to probe planets aggressively.  Al it really does is to make you feel as if you're being reprimanded for making good use of your time.

All of that said, I do really enjoy the game and find it a worthy sequel because the combat and alignment elements are so much more effective than they were in ME1.  I only hope that Bioware does a better job at refining the resource and research aspects in ME3.