Not Excited For The New Consoles

• 70 results
gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hi duders, I just wanted to see if it was just me or if more of you delightful people on here are just completely and utterly unexcited for this new batch of consoles coming.

This wasn't the case at the beginning of the year, when the thought of new boxes for me to play on filled me with the delight that usually only banoffee pie fills me with, but as time's gone on and the line-ups have been settled, I've become less and less eager to get one of these new shiny boxes in my life. I haven't pre-ordered either (although that was originally down to my precarious financial position at the time) and I'm more than happy now to wait until next year when Titanfall and Destiny come out and try and get one then.

With all the news stories coming out about the Xbox One being a tad underpowered, it's just made me all the less giddy. For clarity, I don't have a good gaming PC, so my PS3 and 360 will be the one's keeping me company over the holidays.

So, am I just some joyless husk of a man, or are more of you just a bit 'meh' for this month's big launches?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

There just aren't any real compelling games for any consoles at the moment.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By MudMan

I have a gaming PC that puts NASA gear to shame and I'm still excited about both of these boxes. For the price, either of them is a slam-dunk proposition to anybody without a gaming PC. Battlefield 4 played properly on full-sized maps, Assassin's Creed 4 looking the way it was meant to, Forza 5 looks great, NBA 2K14 looks great, based on its trailer, Dead Rising 3 seems insane and huge...

Even if some or most of those games are available on other platforms, for what? 400 bucks for a PS4, being able to play them roughly as well as you would on a PC two or three times that price is insane. It's been eight years on this generation. You've probably spent many times that amount in phones.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also very meh. More power is nice and all, but I'd rather see more innovation in game design rather than them just polishing up the same old turds. Hopefully people will get around to that sometime after all the hype over resolution capabilities and gigs of memory dies down.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JayEH

I've been really excited for most of the year and have even paid off my PS4 already but I'm realizing more and more that if I had to, I could have waited until next year. This fall has plenty of great games on 360/PS3.

That said, I'm really just investing for the future. Like many others have speculated, I don't think these consoles will drop in price anytime soon, so I guess I rather have my PS4 now then frantically trying to get one in time for inFamous.

ashton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Exact same sentiment for me. I marked the release dates on my calendar and was so pumped to watch the GB crew unbox and play a bunch of launch titles on release day. Then I was going to go out and buy one the next day. I will still get one system or both, I just dont feel compelled to get one ASAP. As we have gotten closer to release day(s) that feeling of "I need to have it day one is almost gone". I just don't see any of the games being a day 1 system seller (I was planning on a PS4 with AC4, Ghosts and Killzone). Then all these news stories coming from both PS4 and XOne saying "oh well it wont do this or that at launch" is kinda weird and has turned me off to the whole day 1 thing. I think the only thing that will get me to buy one before the end of the year is the coverage the guys do here. If they seem happy or really jazzed about either system I may buy one before years end. If its more of a shrugging feeling like hey new systems so I guess you should get one (?) kind of coverage, then I will definitely hold off until a Destiny or Titanfall bundle.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course I'm excited for the new consoles. It's the games scheduled in the launch window that do nothing for me.

Plus, neither $ony or Micro$oft has announced a white console yet. Once you go white console, you never go back.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once Watch Dogs was delayed I cancelled my pre-order. Might still pick one up later this year, but man, that took the wind right out of my sails.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I am very excited but probably won't be getting a PS4 til next year. I think it is silly to look at launch line-ups and feel dissapointed. New consoles aren't just for Christmas, they are for the next 5 years or whatever. The consoles will usher in excellent new games I am sure, they just won't be coming out this year.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm really excited about the GB content that will come about as a result of the new consoles.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Budwyzer

I was excited at first as well. Then...

• Microsoft caved on their ideas & plans

(A console version of Steam sounded great to me. I guess we'll have to wait for SteamOS and its post-launch bugs to be worked out)

• PS4 will not support local network media streaming or MP3

(All in an attempt to force users into streaming services. I live in the country and am on a WISP with 256k bandwidth)

• PS4 also STILL does not have an equivalent to the XBL party chat

(Just... WTF, how could that be ignored?)

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

Naw its cool, games make you excited more than hardware. Your hype will come when titles arrive that you can't play elsewhere. Or maybe they won't and you can find a cheaper hobby haha.

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I was really hyped but I think it's time to cancel the ps4 pre-order and just pick one up next spring. Spending that much money on a box I'll barely use will just be annoying.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had both pre-ordered but ended up cancelling them a couple of weeks ago. Next spring once Destiny, Titanfall, Watchdogs, Witcher 3 start rolling out I'll reconsider!

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a handful of titles across both new platforms I'm somewhat excited to play but I'm just more excited to have a new console more than anything.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#16 kaos_cracker  Online

I been wanting a new console since I don't really care for PC gaming. People that enjoy that is fine, but the whole "everything needs to be at least 1080p and 60fps" is dumb to me. I enjoy looking at these games when I have the chance, I just don't got the money for it now. But yeah, there aren't many games at all for the launch of either console, but the games coming out I want to play anyways, so why not have the console that can run them smoother now. By the time I finish the games that come out at launch, everything else will start coming out.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ares42

I was just thinking about this myself. If you had asked me 6 months ago I would be ready to buy both consoles at launch, but now I'm not buying either before some time next year at least. I think the thing that really influenced the decision was that I thought they both would be more prepared, but instead they seem to be rushing things out. It all just seems very unproffesional, something you wouldn't expect from these huge companies. Why aren't we seeing a variety of big interesting games coming at launch ? Why aren't we seeing a flood of available consoles ? I understand that they can push prices up by having a supply shortage and that they expect the consoles to live longer lives, but if either of them wanted to just outright win they should've come out with a bang making the other one completely neglected by the consumers.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RedRavN

I been wanting a new console since I don't really care for PC gaming. People that enjoy that is fine, but the whole "everything needs to be at least 1080p and 60fps" is dumb to me. I enjoy looking at these games when I have the chance, I just don't got the money for it now. But yeah, there aren't many games at all for the launch of either console, but the games coming out I want to play anyways, so why not have the console that can run them smoother now. By the time I finish the games that come out at launch, everything else will start coming out.

Well I dont think its dumb that people really love 1080p and 60fps. Trust me, once you've gone there its really hard to go back to the current consoles. I have a midrange PC now, so I don't really see a huge reason to grab a Ps4 other then I kind of want to play killzone. Its just that the console exclusive games just aren't enough to justify the cost. I think for anyone that already has a decent enough Pc it makes more sense to wait for a while to see how things shake out and see what actual games are coming. If you don't have a PC it seems like it would be a great upgrade for sure. I mean, battlefield 4 on Ps4 is functionally identical to the PC version and looks great. I think its awesome that consoles have reached hardware parity with at least a midrange PC so that means better looking and better games for everyone.

But I think the launch lineup for both consoles is a bit lacking. next E3 is going to be a bloodbath.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss

I just don't feel like the new consoles are featuring anything that I can't already do on my current PC setup, and my current PC setup does is smoother and easier than the last gen consoles ever did. The only thing I find interesting at all is the potential of Kinect 2.0 and that is no where near 400+ dollars worth of interest. I'm curious to see how Dead rising 3 turns out but again, not enough to be excited about a new hardware purchase.

Disclaimer: I guess I should add that I am one of those people who use my devices for more than games. I want as few boxes possible doing as much as possible and both the Sony and Microsoft seem more interesting in fighting with each other and figuring out how to make money on everything that goes through their machine than they do providing a smooth experience to the user.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grantheaslip: If someone told me I would be more interested in the WiiU than the PS4 and the X1 at any point in my life I woulda' dropped 'em on the spot.

Colour me surprised.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I just watched the new Forza footage and now I feel bad for cancelling my Xbox One pre-order (Day 1 Forza Edition). I contacted Amazon to see if I could undo the cancellation but they can't. I guess I'm more excited than I thought I was, or I just fluctuate between states of excitement. I want that Forza.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@budwyzer said:
PS4 also STILL does not have an equivalent to the XBL party chat

Actually, it does.

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By micemoney

Yeah definitely no must haves for me at the moment. It's weird... being a grown up now, I can actually afford these things, and I just don't give a shit about them right now. Every other console launch was filled with so much hype and excitement, and I always had to wait til Christmas or sometimes even the next year to get whatever I wanted. Previous launches had games that were impossible to play on the previous gen consoles before it. I can play COD:G, AC4, BF4, and Watch Dogs on my ps3 right now and be totally content. Not the biggest jump this go around. Plus I still have a ton of games I missed out on this gen.

As it stands, I'm probably going to end up getting a Wii U. The gears on that thing are finally starting to turn. But yeah, next year or maybe the year after for these new joints.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't begrudge anyone for not being excited about the systems yet, necessarily. It all comes down to games, afterall; that's why a lot of people are more interested in the Wii U than either of the new systems. Not because it's more powerful or has more potential, it just has more interesting games right in this moment. So I guess, am I excited about the Ps4? Not it's games, but I am very excited about the games it could have within the next year. There is potential to look forward to in the growth of the power of console gaming that hasn't existed in awhile.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited for video games>games will now come out on new consoles>I'm excited for new consoles

It's as simple as that my friend. Games are coming out on every platform in the coming months. If there's nothing you want to play on a shiny new device, stick to what you have, there are still games coming out on everything.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

At this point I'm more excited for the Giant Bomb coverage than the actual consoles. There aren't any games due this year that scream next-gen so I'm going to wait a bit.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm honestly curious how they handle market places, a game like Minecraft couldn't have made it unless microsoft themselves have gotten involved messing with their own rules they still establish for everyone else. Right now Microsoft and Sony CLAIM they are Developer friendly.

But aside from that, I don't blame you for being uninterested it's silly antics showing how desperate the industry is for attention. I talk to the most most people, they barely know these console exist. I'm amazed at how an 7 year old sets up a Minecraft game.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RonGalaxy

I'm excited for the future of the consoles. Obviously the launch lineup is kind of shitty, because they are ALWAYS kind of shitty (except for a few examples). I'll definitely be picking up a ps4 at some point because I've always really liked their first party games. Not sure when though. I very much want to play the new ass creed, and on a next gen system, but I'm not sure how long I am willing to wait. If getting a ps4 before the end of the year is too difficult (where you cant just easily order one online or walk into a store to get one) I'll most likely wait until later into 2014.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Pretty much what others have said.

The excitement for me has always come from games that show off why the next gen is neat. They may not always be the best games. in fact some are awful, but you can usually the tech jump, rationale for the console. And that whets your appetite for more.

e.g. Wii Sports, Dynasty Warriors 2, Kameo & Project Gotham Racing 3, Super Mario 64. All those said "boom, look at what we can now do, this is why next gen matters" to me.

Haven't seen that yet for any of the new ones. Even a year later the WiiU is starting to get some neat games, but I've yet to see why they need to be WiiU games. Next gen so far looks like a minor graphics upgrade to games that could basically be out now on current systems. That's about it.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rangers517

@budwyzer said:

(A console version of Steam sounded great to me. I guess we'll have to wait for SteamOS and its post-launch bugs to be worked out)

(All in an attempt to force users into streaming services. I live in the country and am on a WISP with 256k bandwidth)

Yes it does. They announced it a long time ago and a quick google search could have told you that...http://www.gamingunion.net/news/ps4-and-xbox-one-party-voice-chat-will-support-up-to-8-people--10041.html also:http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/29/playstation-4-party-chat-will-be-free-to-all

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I'm as excited as ever to get a new console. There are enough titles at launch to stave me over until more come out. In all reality, I know I'll get one at some point and I've never gotten in on the launch hype of a console, so it's partly for the novelty. Either way, I'm ready for a new leap in games and these consoles will set a higher standard for developers to work off of. I'm pretty psyched, though I understand why others might not be right now.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may have canceled my PS4 preorder, but I can't wait to see what the Giant Bomb crew have in store for launch day coverage. Even the fact that I'll be banking PS4 games on my PS+ instant game collection starting this month is exciting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not interested because I'm not interested in any of the games coming out anytime soon. Once more games come out...talk to me then. Until then, I have a new PC that can Civ V and Rogue Legacy even harder now.

I'm about as standoffish with this new generation of consoles as I was with the previous. Halo 3 was the only interesting thing on the 360 for me at launch, and that wasn't a launch game. I only got one after Shadow Complex and the first Pac-Man CE came out. It was a very similar deal with the PS3, but GTA4 and Wipeout HD were also not launch titles.

The last time I was genuinely interested in a console launch was the Gamecube's. Because the Gamecube had Rogue Leader. And Rogue Leader let me destroy the Death Star.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Getting excited about consoles, for me, is never about launch games. It's about the promise. The next 5-10 years of games. I know I will buy the consoles and I don't care about the money I could save by waiting for price drops and bundles.

Most launches don't have killer games, though after 1 month or so after each launch something will rise to the top - so really there is nothing new/weird/bad about this "soft launch".

It's about bringing the machine into the house, getting hands with a new controller, and ushering in the next generation of video games. Basically, it's tradition.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm very excited for the PS4. I think it's going to be a pretty sweet piece of hardware. The memory bandwidth and GPU power are going to allow for some really cool tech that will hopefully bleed over into PC land too. Mostly in the physics and collision detection area - hopefully all of it soon on the GPU alongside the gfx meshes. And maybe seeing some stuff that looks more like full blown FEA running on a dynamic voxel environment.

As far as launches games though. Yeah. Nothing is really burning the place down with excitement. I'm hopeful for Destiny and Titanfall ... maybe next year will be great?

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JazGalaxy

The reason Nintendo is the king of console launches is because they do the brilliant thing of taking their tech domoes and making WHOLE GAMES out of them.

What can the SNES do? This neat scaling trick that makes you look like your moving forward really fast? Let's make a racing game out of it! We cam scale objects to make it look like you're moving in 3d space? Let's make a flight game out of it!

What can the Gamecube do? Realistic water effects that affect and respond to player and NPC movement? Let's make a new Waverace Jetski game!

You get excited about a console when you see what it can do that your console can't.

That was the biggest problem with Sony's approach, that MS followed up on. They just produce MORE of the hardware you already have. "It's the same thing but faster!"

That leads to uninteresting, profit grubbing developers who just re-release the same games they've already been making at higher resolutions and with superficial effects.

Who's excited for that? MS and Sony should have done a better job leading with their first party content. Instead, they make really interesting looking tech demos and then never do anything with them. They just put out the same old crap.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bigjeffrey

my excitement is rising, dat dead rising 3. But im more excited for the GB Crew content on ps4 launch day.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I'm still excited on XONE. I can't wait!

@bigjeffrey said:

dat dead rising 3.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm excited for the new consoles, but not necessarily for the launch.

My games are coming later.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mrfluke

im still down for the ps4, knack looks like a neat throwback and killzone is actually increasingly looking like itill be awesome ( they just have to nail the story, which that has been killzone's biggest weakness)

but yea the real stunners aren't till next year, thats when we get stuff like destiny, titanfall, infamous second son, witcher 3.

and ill wager the reallll ambitious stuff wont be till these consoles have a large enough install base and that they wont have to have split gen and release current gen versions.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@budwyzer said:

PS4 has party chat. up to 8 people just like xbox.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nothing wrong with just wanting to game it up on your PC. this is the first time since the NES that i won't own a console at least for a few years.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

my excrement is rising, dat dead rising 3. But im more excited for the GB Crew content on ps4 launch day.

It's kind of tragic that I'm often more excited by GB content of upcoming games and things than actually playing the games.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have always and probably will always be excited about the incoming next generation of consoles.
Couldn't care less about all the rumors and fanboyism going around.
Getting 3 games at launch, wish I could get 4 (still might pull that off), that will be enough to keep me busy until next year (plus downloadable games).
Love new hardware and no sense (for me) to hold off on buying one.
Specs are set in stone, hardware is created, like what you see or not (one a tad more powerful than the other) these consoles are here to stay for the next 8-10 years, might as well jump in now.
Regardless, PC remains supreme.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By nintendork666

I'm buying a Wii U.

PS4 will come later.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call me when the Witcher 3 is on the shelves and the holiday rush is over.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#50  Edited By JoeyRavn

I honestly can't see myself paying €400/€500 for a console that offers me sub-par performance compared to my PC, and whose exclusives are of absolutely no interest to me. I much rather put that money into another GPU/CPU/mobo in a couple of years and continue gaming on PC.