Not Really Feeling This Change to Multi-Part Series

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Maybe it's just me but I feel like the focus of GB video content of late has switched from Quick Looks of new games to multi-part series of older games. Now I know January and February are typically slow months for big new releases, and that the GB crew has repeatedly complained about how hard it is to keep up with the continuous flood of new games on Steam, etc. But as a 10-year reader of GB and premium subscriber since day 1, I feel like the only reason I even visit the site anymore is UPFs and one-off streams like the Super Analogue Nt launch. I like that they're trying new things but if seems that they are favoring deep dives on old favorites rather than trying to sift through new stuff.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By gunflame88

Not sure what you're talking about, just counted and there have been 15 QLs this month.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have trouble keeping track of where I am in the multipart series. Once I lose track, I often stop watching the series.

I like the content like Jeff’s home streams or Demo Derby where I can just jump into whatever is the most recent video or the multipart series that are only 2 or 3 parts long per game.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10: There's a red line at the bottom of each video thumbnail that shows your progress.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not that I watch many of these multi part series because they're either games I have no unrest in and/or are premium, but I much prefer deeper looks at games rather than trying to cover every single release with a quick look.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@betaband:

That is helpful. Thank you. I watch a lot of the videos using the unofficial Giant Bomb app on the Xbox One and it seems like this works for some of the video series, but not all of them unfortunately.

Trappister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I wish I could afford premium. You guys are so first world!

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It's just been a slow start to the year for new releases. That said, I prefer the longer features anyway. It gives them more time to learn and engage with the mechanics of the game instead of bumbling their way through 30 minutes of games that they know very little about. The only quick looks I watch anymore are for ridiculous games that I have no interest in buying (e.g. licensed crap)

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's just been a slow start to the year for new releases. That said, I prefer the longer features anyway. It gives them more time to learn and engage with the mechanics of the game instead of bumbling their way through 30 minutes of games that they know very little about. The only quick looks I watch anymore are for ridiculous games that I have no interest in buying (e.g. licensed crap)

[Thinks about the Exquisite Corps]

Yeah, that checks out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Forzafan86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Maybe he/she is on a noodle based diet level? You never know!

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I've been around since the start and, while I could very well be wrong on this, I'm pretty sure the average rate of QL output is about the same. Heck, if you compare it to when the site first launched there's probably actually more QL content on average now than in that first year. There's just more content being produced than last time, with the extra output coming in the form of these other series.

Perhaps what you're feeling is that the crazy flood of Steam releases has made it harder to find the Crash Times and we're stuck with QLs of good but less ridiculous games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@forzafan86: sure just saying it’s not that bad when you break it down over the span of the year!

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I like some of the high concept series they have been doing lately, like The Sims and Valentine's Day shows, but it does feel like there is too much going on at once. At the same time I've been taking a step back from GB videos in favor of streaming a better variety of content. I used to watch everything. It's less a criticism of the quality of content and more of a shift in my own priorities.

I started skipping the Xcom show, then repeat videos of popular games I'm not playing. There's been too much Dragonball FighterZ and Monster Hunter lately for my tastes. Now I'm not even watching very many Quick Looks. No Kingdom Come content yet is suprising. The rest of the internet is talking about that game, but no GB QL?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it really a switch or just additional content? They seem to have more content now than ever to me, you get at least 2 live streams a week plus multiple series, quick looks, and one off streams as well. And it's not really a switch is it? Before it was the endurance run, breaking brad, Viny vania, scoops, bombing the AM, etc etc.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good points all around - on further thought it might be that there just haven’t been games in my wheelhouse dropping in the beginning of the year.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@htr10 said:

I have trouble keeping track of where I am in the multipart series. Once I lose track, I often stop watching the series.

I like the content like Jeff’s home streams or Demo Derby where I can just jump into whatever is the most recent video or the multipart series that are only 2 or 3 parts long per game.

Have you tried this page?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Nodima

I suppose I'm bummed out that the "regular series'" are more regular than some of the series we've been clamoring for more regular series' of (for me, primarily, Demo Derby and Game Tapes) but I also have to note that most of the recurring series are from the east coast. Mario Sunshine, XCOM, The Sims, Dating Game, This Is the Run, Who's the Big Boss, Blue Bombin' and Beast in the East were all east coast features. Even the PUBG streams seemed to be hosted by the east coast a little more than the west though it was always a cross coast affair.

Not inferring anything from that, this has been the case for long enough there's obviously a lot we do (illness, family emergencies, production pipelines, inter-office responsibilities) and don't know that contributes to this being the case, but given enough time to get used to the new office I get the feeling the west coast would be focused on variety (UPF, Game Tapes, Demo Derby, Ranking of Fighters, VRodeo, random bad PS2 games that are relatively short, old console software) while the east focused on deeper looks at games they can build a gimmick or storyline around.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@trappister: Once or twice a year they do a deal where a year of premium is $35. It's a good time to get in on the premium train.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@rorie said:
@htr10 said:

No Caption Provided

CupOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doesn't seem like that much of a change, or really any change, to me. Granted I have only been following the site for a couple of years so maybe things were different before then. The only difference I see is the names of the series. Metal Gear Scanlon -> Who's the big boss. Steal My Sunshine -> Thirteen Deadly Sims. The Old Games Show -> Jeff's Home Game. Endurance Run: Shenmue 3 -> Beast In the East. It still seems like there is still the same amount of one off streams and videos as before.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie:

That is a good page. Thank you.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10 said:

The videos usually show the ones you've already watched and save your place within them.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't view negatively what GB is doing, much of it works for me. Much of it doesn't. I don't necc. see the exploration of games contemporary that I did before. That is very subjective, though. Everytime I go to Steam, there are games I do wonder about. It seems to me that I need to move off my base a little, and see who covers these kinds of games games as a site. I have a real reluctance to go to you tube, though that is probably my real answer. See if there is anyone(s) of professional quality.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've kind of been it as a East/West sort of thing. GBEast seems way into making a long series of playing one game, with a gimmick (Xcom, Mario Sunshine, The Sims, This is the Run). And the West is more about playing a lot of different games (Game Tapes, Ranking of Fighters, Demo Derby). I like the East crew, but I am just not into those long playthroughs.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luchalma said:

I've kind of been it as a East/West sort of thing. GBEast seems way into making a long series of playing one game, with a gimmick (Xcom, Mario Sunshine, The Sims, This is the Run). And the West is more about playing a lot of different games (Game Tapes, Ranking of Fighters, Demo Derby). I like the East crew, but I am just not into those long playthroughs.

If perhaps one side could get back to doing that preferred thing more often we'd have a nice meeting of both worlds and it'd be great.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:

I suppose I'm bummed out that the "regular series'" are more regular than some of the series we've been clamoring for more regular series' of (for me, primarily, Demo Derby and Game Tapes) but I also have to note that most of the recurring series are from the east coast. Mario Sunshine, XCOM, The Sims, Dating Game, This Is the Run, Who's the Big Boss, Blue Bombin' and Beast in the East were all east coast features. Even the PUBG streams seemed to be hosted by the east coast a little more than the west though it was always a cross coast affair.

Not inferring anything from that, this has been the case for long enough there's obviously a lot we do (illness, family emergencies, production pipelines, inter-office responsibilities) and don't know that contributes to this being the case, but given enough time to get used to the new office I get the feeling the west coast would be focused on variety (UPF, Game Tapes, Demo Derby, Ranking of Fighters, VRodeo, random bad PS2 games that are relatively short, old console software) while the east focused on deeper looks at games they can build a gimmick or storyline around.

I definitely agree - more Demo Derbies, Game Tapes, Old Game Shows, etc. would be amazing

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I like the various series'. I do find it tricky to keep up with them all, but I've never had a lot of time to dedicate to just video content anyway. All the GBEast stuff I've followed I've really enjoyed.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NeverGameOver

@redwing42: The problem with the Exquisite Corps is that each person plays it in 30 minute chunks, once a month. You are never going to learn and/or retain mechanics of a remotely complex strategy game playing like that. It was a fun idea but it's frustrating as hell as a viewer to watch someone finally grasp a mechanic in time for them to pass off the controller to someone else who hasn't yet grasped it, and then completely forget it before they are back in control a month later. I know that was the point of the feature but ultimately it would be a thousand times better to watch if it was one person playing or if they at least had everyone watch each other's turns.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rorie said:
@htr10 said:

Any chance videos that we have finished watching could get a little icon or something when viewing the list of videos?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@barrock said:
@rorie said:
@htr10 said:

Any chance videos that we have finished watching could get a little icon or something when viewing the list of videos?

I mean, they do, the red bar is full :P

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would feel it IF THEY DID MORE GODDAMN RANKING OF GODDAMN FUCKING FIGHTERS.

... jus' sayin

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Not sure what you're talking about, just counted and there have been 15 QLs this month.

Yeah, I don't know what OP is talking about. Lot of Quick Looks and even for games that I wouldn't expect to get them. I think he just doesn't like the additional content is all.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Seikenfreak

Felt like I needed to say this into the void somewhere.

I'm definitely feeling the lack of Quick Looks. I initially assumed it was because of the typical slow release season but then Jeff had mentioned at some point recently that they were moving away from them because people weren't watching them? So I was disappointed but ehhhh.. Since then I've been sort of thinking about my Quick Look intake and I'm finding I am for sure watching less, but it seems to be because they are just QL'ing games I for sure know I am not interested in (Dynasty Warriors 9) or big games that I know I'm buying so I don't want to spoil that first-time experience for myself (Ni No Kuni 2) but I'll often go back and watch it after I've played it myself. It looks like I've watched 18 of the last 48 QLs.

The draw of QLs for me was them digging up those B and C sort of games that I don't know anything about or never heard of and learning about it. With the move away from QLs, I'm finding there are all these titles I didn't even know were coming out and I only find out because I decide to peek at the Steam store page if I'm bored. Making me realize that I'm not really getting my general gaming content from anywhere else. QLs were sort of this consistent, keystone, reliable thing that I could watch while eating etc.

I guess doesn't help that I don't think any of these newer feature series have been of any particular interest to me (except All Systems Goku)

Bah I dunno. Had a weird sort of sadness waft over me just now and wanted somewhere pointless to complain/vent.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

A lot of the multipart stuff has been background noise for me. I check in occasionally and just enjoy the conversations.

Except for Garfield, which I watched every fucking second of. Along with Contra and XCom.

I'm cool with it. Better than just digging up random games to fill a Quick Look quota.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The multi-part series are a lot to keep up with...so I don’t. I watched Metal Gear Scanlon and whatever the Shenmue playthrough was called, but I think that’s about it.

I’d rather see more quick looks, bombasticas, and old games shows. Also, I’d love for someone to pick-up This Ain’t No Game. I just don’t know who would be right for it...maybe it’d need a more conversational format with two hosts?

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Seikenfreak

I'm not necessarily against the stuff focused on a singular game, they've done some in the past that I've watched, but its lately they've been doing ones I haven't found enjoyable to watch for whatever reason.

Like, I enjoy The Sims games a bit, but I didn't particularly enjoy the series after watching a few episodes for reasons. I've also played the XCOM games a bit but again, just the format wasn't doing it for me or it's not the type of game I want to watch others play? I don't care for wrestling at all (quite difficult to avoid on this site lol) Garfield was decent because Jeff can be entertaining by himself and I never knew about these Garfield games so it was new/weird to watch. I'm not interested in dating games. I'm not into fighting games but Ranking of Fighters is alright occasionally because they'll play weird stuff I've never seen before and some of it is ridiculous. I think I get that "This is the Run" is probably more about the casual banter? But I want more stuff I can really sit down to watch and absorb rather than background noise. You know, words, reasons, and things.

I'm not referring to the non-serialized stuff like Game Tapes or Demo Derby because I enjoy those but they just don't produce them often (or at all) anymore. Digital Foundry did something similar to Game Tapes recently, talking over the PS3 announcement E3 conference and it was really good and fun to listen to.

But the series come and go so I'm not too concerned with them. The odd Quick Looks though? Hmm..

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ViciousReiven

I came to GB for the endurance runs, and these multi-part series are basically that in my mind and exactly what I've wanted.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ltcolumbo

I'm here because I enjoy watching Jeff, Vinny and crew do stupid shit, in whatever form that takes. I suspect the site will continue to evolve as long as it exists and I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

This thread is the first time I seriously considered registering a domain and pointing it back to GB as a joke, but common sense won out in the end. FYI, ennui.zone is available for $4.99 if anyone wants it.

Edit: never mind, it turns out I'm that stupid: www.ennui.zone.