Not requesting it - but have they mentioned Shenmue 2 that i missed?

baltaronsteam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey everyone,

So my favorite series on the site is arguably the Shenmue Endurance Run. The voice acting, Vinny, Alex and Dans reactions to it all, just being blown the fuck away when they would get somewhere and it was like "'come back tomorrow" and made them waste like 20+ minutes doing nothing.. sheer insanity lol.

I just wanted to know, cause I dont absorb EVERY piece of Giantbomb content, have they ever mentioned trying Shenmue 2 out? I only ask cause I was considering playing it for myself (never have played it, but the endurance run made me curious).... but Id prefer to watch the GBeast go thru it with some laughs.

So does anyone know if theyve mentioned a Shenmue 2 playthru at any point? Didnt know if it was one of those things they decided against, at the end of the Endurance Run they seemed pretty 'into' the idea of doing Shenmue 2.. just was curious what their current 'status' on this might be.

Thanks for your time and please stay safe and stay on LOCKDOWN. 2020.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Relkin

They've mentioned the idea of a Shenmue 2 playthrough multiple times, but to my knowledge I don't think they've ever explicitly said one way or another if it's going to happen; mind you, that's very much GB's way. I personally suspect that it will happen eventually, but with the current situation that could be a matter of months, or a matter of years; there's just no way to know. If they started two days from now, I wouldn't be surprised. If they started two years from now, I wouldn't be surprised.

They did a QL of Shenmue 3 last year, if you weren't aware. I know it isn't the same thing, but maybe it'll tide you over for now.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I didn't watch the whole thing but I got the sense that Vinny and Alex weren't particularly thrilled with the first game and Dan doesn't work for GB anymore.

baltaronsteam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't watch the whole thing but I got the sense that Vinny and Alex weren't particularly thrilled with the first game and Dan doesn't work for GB anymore.

Oh no they totally were not 'into' the game, but by the end, Vinny said it was like climbing a mountain and it wasnt Dan who said they need to play 2... it was actually Alex, in the final episode was like "You know this means we need to play Shenmue 2." lol.. so I think they have some interest beyond just Dan.. more of a sheer morbid curiosity than anything, I think... which as we know, morbid curiosity is the GiantBomb way lol

howstardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

<b>Dan doesn't work for GB anymore.</b>

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I remember they basically banged out the whole ER at once and then released it incrementally, so I wouldn't be surprised if someday when the stars align they'd find a time when Dan is available to Shenmue 2.

But I have no expectations of it happening any time soon, even disregarding the pandemic.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Dan has mentioned it on his stream stuff some. It's a shame they haven't. I do hope if they do it though the can get Dan on it.

The second game is actually quite a bit better IMO also.

By the way, Dan has been streaming all the time lately on Twitch and has been on GB recently and has said a bunch of times on stream he's open to being on Giant Bomb stuff when he has time. He just called Jeff and Drew on a Mario Party stream he did. I think you will see him pop up sometime.

He's been pretty open on that and it sounded like he hated some of the feedback/pressure from established game positions as a job, which was part of why he quit it, but he's been loving streaming and doing it more purely on his terms.

Pilgrimm1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing the third game right now, I like it though it's still Shenmue af. I would love a playthrough of the second game, one of my favorite games ever.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Yeah, if they play anything it will be Yakuza. Shenmue has some weird charm, but Shenmue 2 is just more of the same, despite the new setting.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figure it'll happen someday. It probably wouldn't be that hard to get Dan in either.

Hell the lockdown is probably teaching everyone all sorts of ideas about content beyond just who you can physically get into the studio.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd prefer a long playthrough like that to be something that can do together in the studio, i'm sure it's doable over the internet as they've been doing well with the Nancy Drew games, but it's not quite the same, everyone should witness Shenmue personally, face it head on :P.
Since the endurance run of the first the games have been re-released which is helpful, and Dan being gone would let Abby in, who if memory serves was mostly behind the scenes during the first game, i hope they get around to it, but i don't think it's quite time yet.