If you've at any point hung in the giant bomb infinite, you may have heard that "nothing stops game room". But is that actually true?
I have dedicated couple of my last evenings to finding answer to this question. After hundreds of handcrafted lines of spaghetti code, learning only the most basic concepts of database administration, and working around twitter's 3.2k status retrieval limit (which involved locking the spacebar key on my keyboard in place with a mug and going for a walk) I finally have answers to questions which have plagued
the humanity handful people on this website since the beginning of time early April, at most.
(All of this is based off ALL tweets made by the GBInfinite twitter account, as of 2018.11.08 at 01:30:some_seconds GMT)
Top 10 Most Played Game Room Quick Looks
This is rather underwhelming - Game Room videos got to 72 plays mainly due to volume of available videos, which makes up only about 0.04% of all Quick Looks played on GBI. Speaking of which...
Top 10 Most Played Quick Looks
Holy smokes! 1815 plays and 991 unique videos!!! I guess this site has a lot of Quick Looks. That's about 32%, almost a third of total plays on GBI - impressive!
Some quality choices in here, ones that are bound to be picked whenever they appear as a choice in the polls. It's worth noting, that of those 1815 plays, 555 come from videos which were only played once.
Top 10 Most Played VinnyVanias
Wall meats, whips, Draculas, vampires, Alucards - this series has it all! It's no wonder that videos from the series have been played over 100 times - 108 to be specific.
Top 10 Most Played UPFs
UPF is always a safe bet: longish, varied, no matter which one is chosen, it will bring joy and memories of chill Fridays to all. Unless it is the one where Brad somehow convinced the others to play Dota with him, which brings joy to MY heart.
362 total plays, 161 unique videos, including 3 different Thursday Edition UPFs. This is a boring ten, it doesn't even have the one with Dota, so WHO CARES.
Top 10 Most Played Endurance Run Videos
GBI is all about enduring - and it shows! Chat decided to pick various ED videos 215 times!
Quite predictably, most of these were Persona 4 videos (88 times), Deadly Premonition ended up in the second place (60 times), and Shenmue in third (25 times). Chrono Trigger receives honorable mentions with 11 plays.
Top 10 Extra Life Videos
Recently, whenever I loaded the GBI page, I either was greeted by an EL video, or one soon popped in in the poll. But I guess I must have dreamed all of that, because extra life videos have been played only 65 times total, and only 3 of those happened since October 28th. Also - the infamous 16 hour drum video was played only twice, but I'm fairly sure that the second time it froze in first hours of it and had to be skipped (as such, it I did not include it in the top 10, but here is a link to it if you'd like to watch it). We do better.
EDIT: I initially referred to the 2016's drum video which made it to this top 10 as the infamous 2017's 16 hour drumfest, apologies for this grave mistake
Top 22 Most Replayed Videos on GBI
Quite crowded here, at the top - 22 videos have been replayed at least 7 times, but we at least have a clear winner: VinnyVania: Super Castlevania IV (part 1) is currently the most replayed video on the GBI, with 10 plays. That, and all other videos, add up to 2809 unique videos being shown and 5692 total plays on GBI. Those are big numbers!
Other than that, the list includes some classic videos that always get voted in, random one off videos that caught people's attention and 'Best Of's, often picked for their brevity in comparison to other choices. And guess what?! Not a single Game Room video, as it should be.
- Bombcast has been voted in only five times, each time with a unique video, including one time where one of them won with only (it was me, I voted for it, fight me, cowards!)
- Jar time is in the exact same boat, 5 plays, each for a single video - apparently people do not like news/talky videos on GBI
- Although featured on the overall top 10, 'Best Of's have only been played 60 times
- I did not include tops for the following series, because I ran out of steam: MGS (152 plays), mailbags (278 plays), playdates: (89 plays), TANG (104 plays), TNT (108 plays)
- Series that got less playtime that game room quick looks: Mario Party Party (41 plays), Random PC Game (62 plays), I Love Mondays (52 plays), Game Tapes (31 plays, including 4 raw tapes)
- There are 1370 videos which were only played once
- I either goofed the search for it, or no dota videos (other than the Brad's extra life video, and that one UPF ) were chosen since GBI went live. If it's the latter, then SHAME ON YOU, CHAT!
- Twitter data includes some videos from before the launch of gbi (then GB TV), or at least that's what it looks like to me EDIT: actually, the GB TV started in late February, so the weirdness at the start of March is probably because the twitter bot has not been yet fully implemented
- Entries include all videos which were voted in - so bad videos and possibly some weirdness around times when the stream machine had to be restarted
- Because of backend changes related to site redesign, the show category is no longer included in GBI twitter feed
- There currently 26 broken entries that have to be corrected manually (mostly because of tweet truncation)
Apologies if the analysis is a little bit dry - I put most of my energy towards learning SQL and debugging my shitty code. :P
If you'd like to have a go at the data yourself, here is a handy csv file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l19vq0z9ypnyajk/gbi_tweets_2018.11.08_01.32.49.csv?dl=1
I'd like to at some point expand the data by including calculated elapsed time, video status based on this (completed, skipped, frozen), and the video metadata from GP's API, but I don't know if I get to it any time soon.