November's NPD numbers tell all.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai

If you haven't caught a glimpse of the NPD numbers for November yet, just look below.

Hardware

• Wii - 2,040,000
  • DS - 1,570,000
  • 360 - 836,000
  • PSP - 421,000
  • PS3 - 378,000
  • PS2 - 206,000

Software
  1. Gears of War 2 (360) - 1,560,000
  2. Call of Duty: World at War (360) - 1,410,000
  3. Wii Play (Wii) - 769,000
  4. Wii Fit (Wii) - 697,000
  5. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 637,000
  6. Call of Duty: World at War (PS3) - 597,000
  7. Guitar Hero World Tour (Wii) - 475,000
  8. Left 4 Dead (360) - 410,000
  9. Resistance 2 (PS3) - 385,000
  10. Wii Music (Wii) - 297,000
So in layman's terms, Nintendo cleaned up, Microsoft is still chugging, and Sony is hurting.  What does this mean exactly?

A lot of things.

I was not expecting Nintendo to do this well.  2 million consoles sold in a month in one region is staggering and damn near historic.  And if you look at the software charts, you see the word "Wii" well represented... partially because of the game titles, but c'mon now, Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii should've been out of the top 10 months ago if you go by traditional standards.  We knew the handheld war was long over and the DS prevailed big, but now it's safe to say for good that the Wii is no fad, but the champion this generation.

Microsoft isn't exactly struggling, though.  This is the hardcore console this generation and the two best-selling games prove it.  Call of Duty: World at War selling more on the 360 by at least 2.5 to 1?  That shows how they've marketed their machine as a gaming console rather than a media center.  However, Microsoft might have to stop going after the casual audience... there's no chance they'll choose the 360 over the Wii this time.  Lips and You're in the Movies were the two supposed casual killer apps, but it's just not enough.  Stick with the hardcore for now, Microsoft, then when the hypothetical 720 is ready, then go for it.

And Sony... it's either time to drop the price or abandon ship.  Sony is laying off some of its workforce and without the PlayStation brand topping the charts every month, you know things need to change.  When they introduced the PS3, we expected grand things to come... but Sony overestimated their brand name and Blu-ray... and now they're paying for it big.  And with the economy in the shitter, chances are people won't go for the most expensive gaming experience and settle for something more affordable.  Sony... sorry, but you're destined for last place forever unless the PS4 returns the brand to its PS2 glory days.

And that's my analysis.  Whatever console you prefer, you can't argue with the numbers... It's a Nintendo world and everybody else is living in it.  At least the 360 has it's island of core gamers of their own.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dalai

If you haven't caught a glimpse of the NPD numbers for November yet, just look below.

Hardware

• Wii - 2,040,000
  • DS - 1,570,000
  • 360 - 836,000
  • PSP - 421,000
  • PS3 - 378,000
  • PS2 - 206,000

Software
  1. Gears of War 2 (360) - 1,560,000
  2. Call of Duty: World at War (360) - 1,410,000
  3. Wii Play (Wii) - 769,000
  4. Wii Fit (Wii) - 697,000
  5. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 637,000
  6. Call of Duty: World at War (PS3) - 597,000
  7. Guitar Hero World Tour (Wii) - 475,000
  8. Left 4 Dead (360) - 410,000
  9. Resistance 2 (PS3) - 385,000
  10. Wii Music (Wii) - 297,000
So in layman's terms, Nintendo cleaned up, Microsoft is still chugging, and Sony is hurting.  What does this mean exactly?

A lot of things.

I was not expecting Nintendo to do this well.  2 million consoles sold in a month in one region is staggering and damn near historic.  And if you look at the software charts, you see the word "Wii" well represented... partially because of the game titles, but c'mon now, Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii should've been out of the top 10 months ago if you go by traditional standards.  We knew the handheld war was long over and the DS prevailed big, but now it's safe to say for good that the Wii is no fad, but the champion this generation.

Microsoft isn't exactly struggling, though.  This is the hardcore console this generation and the two best-selling games prove it.  Call of Duty: World at War selling more on the 360 by at least 2.5 to 1?  That shows how they've marketed their machine as a gaming console rather than a media center.  However, Microsoft might have to stop going after the casual audience... there's no chance they'll choose the 360 over the Wii this time.  Lips and You're in the Movies were the two supposed casual killer apps, but it's just not enough.  Stick with the hardcore for now, Microsoft, then when the hypothetical 720 is ready, then go for it.

And Sony... it's either time to drop the price or abandon ship.  Sony is laying off some of its workforce and without the PlayStation brand topping the charts every month, you know things need to change.  When they introduced the PS3, we expected grand things to come... but Sony overestimated their brand name and Blu-ray... and now they're paying for it big.  And with the economy in the shitter, chances are people won't go for the most expensive gaming experience and settle for something more affordable.  Sony... sorry, but you're destined for last place forever unless the PS4 returns the brand to its PS2 glory days.

And that's my analysis.  Whatever console you prefer, you can't argue with the numbers... It's a Nintendo world and everybody else is living in it.  At least the 360 has it's island of core gamers of their own.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By StaticFalconar

I like a good underdog story so go PS3.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Nintend0wns.

Official name change.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

Strange as it may seem, I finished Fallout 3 and started a new character (evil, 6hrs. in, on a 360), but I have found myself playing Mario Kart Wii and the competition online is great. Once a day, I've been playing for about an hour and many games straight, verses the same people per play. I bought the game when it came out and still, online is just as much fun or frustrating as it has been. Once started, the one more game aspect gets me and I have fun doing it, win or lose. Someone once wrote and I can't remember who... and paraphrasing "The Wii reinvented the joystick and the one button."

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo
This is how you push sales!
Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Shadow2K6
Vinchenzo said:
"
"

xD

I'll take the PS3s mediocre Q4 sales over Wiis mediocre Q4 lineup anyday. 
Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shadow2K6
Vinchenzo said:
"
"

xD

I'll take the PS3s mediocre Q4 sales over Wiis mediocre Q4 lineup anyday. 
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'm sorry, but I will never consider the Wii a real gaming console, even if it sells a billion pieces of hardware in a day. Sales aren't what determine a good system to me.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TwoOneFive

Why the Wii? just...why?

lol
PS3, boy they really needed that price drop. but WorldWide sales charts should be much different. 2009 will probably be the opposite. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LiquidPrince said:
"I'm sorry, but I will never consider the Wii a real gaming console, even if it sells a billion pieces of hardware in a day. Sales aren't what determine a good system to me."
Sporting the arguably best game ever in Super Mario Galaxy should cement it as a gaming console.
Neither the PS3 or the 360 has a game that can match the absolute genius which is that game in design and fun factor.

I'm getting kinda sick of people going all Shane Bettenhausen and proclaiming the Wii a baby console.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StaticFalconar said:
"I like a good underdog story so go PS3."
Then the Wii should have tickled your fancy. People were proclaiming Nintendo as a third place after the Gamecube didn't set the world on fire and the weak specs of the Wii.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By sweep  Moderator

*argues with the numbers*

Also, I am staggered as to how mesmerised people have become by the Wii. I feel like the only fucking crazy person left on the planet...

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Rowr

Im continously hearing wii talk.

Word of mouth, and not the people you would expect. My uncle just bought wii fit for chrisakes!

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By ThomasP

Nintendo is number one.  It's my fave console this gen; but it's not for everyone. Graphics whores and FPS fans will obviously go for the 360 or PS3.

Pleasureizmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pleasureizmine

2 million jesus.. but where are the software sales

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Pleasureizmine said:
"2 million jesus.. but where are the software sales"
Uh, 5 of the games on the top 10 best selling games are Wii.
drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By drakesfortune

Comparing Wii Sales to Ps360 sales is like comparing the sales of Chevy cars to the sales of ice skates.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By get2sammyb

The Wii is seriously unbelievable. I don't get why people hate on it, Nintendo deserve a bit of success. Essentially the Wii was probably Nintendo's last attempt at hardware - if it went the way of the GameCube I'd imagine we'd all be playing Mario on XBOX and PS4 next generation.

And I whole heartedly agree with the person who brought up Mario Galaxy; a game is going to have to be VERY, VERY, VERY special to take the "game of the generation" crown I currently have sitting on top of Galaxy.

Having said that, I don't think it's all doom and gloom for Sony. Certainly doesn't look good but it's impressive that they sold as many as they did in an economic recession with clearly the highest price tag and (admittedly Sony's own undoing) a horrendous marketing campaign from the get go.

What is a bigger story for me personally is that even with the 360 being cheaper than the Wii now, it still continues to be absolutely eclipsed by the Wii. Phenomonal respect to Nintendo for absolutely turning things around.

EDIT: I'm more curious as to how the PSP continues to sell relatively well. That's a pretty phenomonal story on it's own.

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Kids talking about things they dont know shit. Meh, couldnt care less about your uninformed opinion boy.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By get2sammyb
DragoonKain1687 said:
"Kids talking about things they dont know shit. Meh, couldnt care less about your uninformed opinion boy."
Enlighten us then. Instead of patronising us, teach us, so that we might learn something?

I'm always happy to listen to those more intelligent than myself. Explain it to me.
Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DragoonKain1687
get2sammyb said:
"DragoonKain1687 said:
"Kids talking about things they dont know shit. Meh, couldnt care less about your uninformed opinion boy."
Enlighten us then. Instead of patronising us, teach us, so that we might learn something?

I'm always happy to listen to those more intelligent than myself. Explain it to me."
I was refering to the TC. Complete lack of knowledge at all.
Specially when he said what Sony should do like abandoning ship.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dalai
LiquidPrince said:
"I'm sorry, but I will never consider the Wii a real gaming console, even if it sells a billion pieces of hardware in a day. Sales aren't what determine a good system to me."
What is a real gaming console, then?  The Wii plays games just like the rest.  And while sales don't necessarily tell you which console is better, it does say what people think is better.

Rowr said:
"Im continously hearing wii talk.

Word of mouth, and not the people you would expect. My uncle just bought wii fit for chrisakes!
"
There's the Blue Ocean strategy at work.

DragoonKain1687 said:
"get2sammyb said:
"DragoonKain1687 said:

I'm always happy to listen to those more intelligent than myself. Explain it to me."
I was refering to the TC. Complete lack of knowledge at all.
Specially when he said what Sony should do like abandoning ship."

Maybe I'm full of shit and I have no business talking about this kind of stuff, but you can't believe Sony is doing a great job marketing and promoting their systems.

The PSP has done alright despite a library consisting of games more suitable for the PS2... and a lack of great games, but Nintendo has dominated the handheld business forever so Sony knew what to expect.

As for the PS3, when you're a distant 3rd in the biggest shopping month of the year, in the biggest region on the planet, you have to consider changing your priorities.  It's not like there are no good games on the PS3 because this year definitely shot down that argument... not a lot of people want to spend $399 for a games console, even if it includes a Blu-ray player.  HDTV owners are still in the minority and a lot of people don't care about Blu-ray at the moment.  And if this recession sticks around, even fewer people will be willing to choose the most expensive console and settle for a Wii or 360.

I'm not saying Sony should leave the industry by any means, but I think their next console should be modeled after the PS2... just powerful enough for the hardcore, cheap enough for the casual, easy enough for a developer to work with, and with enough big name exclusives early in the console's life cycle to peak people's interest.

And never call me kid or boy unless you're older than me.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Claude

When I was in the Navy, we had a saying:

I've been from Maine to Spain,
Austin to Boston.
I've seen forty acres of sheep, fuck in a one acre lot.
I've got enough hair on my ass to weave ten Navaho blankets.
I've got balls the size of pickle jars.
Do you call King Kong a monkey?
Do you call Godzilla a lizard?
Don't call me boy.

DragoonKain1687
said:

Dude... welcome to trollville.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Kazona

I don't care which company is selling more of what. What it all comes down to is that they are all making shit-tons more money than I do.