Now there's an Nvidia 3080ti apparently coming out?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1 rorie  Staff

Apparently so!

I don't really know what Nvidia is thinking lately: no one can buy a 3080 because all the stock is depleted as soon as a vendor has any, but they're apparently going forward with a 3080ti? It seems like a weird idea because I assume everyone who bought a 3080 will be pissed because the card is getting overwritten (in terms of power) so soon after it came out. I don't necessarily care about that, and if anything, the 3080ti will probably flood the market with secondhand 3080s from the buttcoin people who are looking to upgrade. Still: weird!

zoofame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nvidia has announced more paper launches and vapor ware this gen than actual GPUs.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're probably thinking "it prints money."

When you see something like this, where an even more premium model comes out quickly, it's often because a corporation feels like it left money on the table by pricing too low. The 3080 is selling out as fast as they can produce them, and people are clearly willing to spend more on the cards than they cost, so that cash is going to scalpers. If you can get a super premium model out quick it acts as a soft price increase on people who will spend whatever it costs. They don't really care if it slightly annoys people who bought a 3080 because these are people who have shown they have a lot of money they want to spend on graphics cards.

It's not unlike how Apple sells iPhones with a bunch of different storage capacities and the price always goes up a lot more than the extra storage actually costs. They want to capture the top end of the market that's not price conscious and get as much cash they can from them.

Ideally you want to perfectly match the price so that demand meets the amount you can supply. Here demand has far outstripped supply at the current price, so offering a super premium model that costs more is a way of capturing some of that money.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gotta bury the AMD news somehow I guess

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rorie  Staff

@ry_ry: Yeah, that might be what they're going for. But I suspect AMD is going to do pretty well this generation if they are competitive on price/performance!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By colourful_hippie

The AMD guess seems likely but as a 2080ti owner I'm happy that there will be a reasonable upgrade option for me that isn't the disgustingly huge 3090.

EDIT: Of course everything hinges on the supply getting unfucked.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Couldn't buy a 3080, even if I wanted to. Might as well wait a month and see if they announce it for January. By that point, I probably still won't be able to buy a 3080.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nvidia has yet to convince me that these GPUs aren't just swamp gas. I like the idea of an 3080 Ti but I wonder what the price will be.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I'm still surprised they looked at their line up and thought.. yeah... the 3090 is an enticing top of the lineproduct. Clearly it will play the games a little bit better than the 3080 and is an absolute beast in machine learning and 3d modeling applications, but it is yet to be seen if the product makes much sense compared to the 500$ cheaper 6900 XT. I imagine the 3080 TI will at least be a product that has a clear usecase and will trade blows with that 6900 XT price & performance wise.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

In ten years when I can afford a 3080ti, I'll be glad for it, but for now... yeah, that's wild.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By bybeach

I'm not really serious (yet), but more and more I think of owning an X box and PS.5, and skipping the whole pc thing. But I just rebuilt and also have a 1080ti, so we will see. I am also curious about what AMD will offer.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think people have used GPU's for Bitcoin for a few years now

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ToughShed

It is weird but I kind of think they might be blasting through this gen of cards a bit to get to what's next. We are on the cusp of a lot of possible new stuff hitting the market and if its graphics cards with additional RAM like I've heard about coming in the near future, seems like something they'd make a shitload of money on and would want to push and get to as the console next gen is hitting and pushing games forward tech wise. Just speculation on my part and I'm not an expert but I was listening to some people talk about the changes probably coming to graphics cards soon.

All that seems shitty to do to consumers maybe also who bought this card if it happens that way, but they also made buying the thing terrible for everyone in 2020 when anyone who cares and has experience can figure out a decent system for that at this point.

@bybeach said:

I'm not really serious (yet), but more and more I think of owning an X box and PS.5, and skipping the whole pc thing. But I just rebuilt and also have a 1080ti, so we will see. I am also curious about what AMD will offer.

I'm a longtime PC gamer but this isn't a new thing, just been a while. When the 360 came out it was a great choice to buy that and get the power for cheaper. It hit with power. I really think last gen was so weak power wise at launch it damaged the idea lol. Last gen was a big bummer to me that way. I'm glad right now it feels like a step up.

How these consoles can use SSDs, past just faster loading, is something they are still working on tech for on PC. Some PC games will require SSD installation because of this. So in that way they are absolutely catching up and the console is not a bad choice at all.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3080Ti is effectively a price-cut on the 3090, which was horrible value at only being 10% faster but 2x more expensive than 3080. Still, I don't think many 3080 buyers will regret their purchase if they were able to secure their cards at near the MSRP because starting at $999, the 3080Ti will still be poor value for your money. However, if you got suckered into paying way above MSRP for the 3080, then you have every right to be salty....

hughj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

Apparently so!

It seems like a weird idea because I assume everyone who bought a 3080 will be pissed because the card is getting overwritten (in terms of power) so soon after it came out.

There's a big price gap between the 3080 and 3090 as well as a big gap in vram, so it was inevitable they were going to launch another SKU between them. The fact that AMD's lineup are all 16GB is probably what accelerated that plan. I don't really see the big deal here as the 3080ti is undoubtedly going to be sitting in a different price bracket from the 3080, and it will probably be a worse performance/dollar value as well.

The bigger lingering question for this lineup is how quickly will Nvidia pivot from Samsung back to TSMC.

icoangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a 3080 already and am not upset about a TI version as I expected it eventually (maybe not this quickly though). Due to the price I am expecting I would probably buy the none TI version if presented with the choice anyway, as I am expecting it to cost more then I would want to spend on a card.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OurSin_360

Yeah, this has been rumored since before the 3080 launch, at first they were going to just do a 20gb version of that but I guess they scratched that to just match AMD's launch. Power draw, size and availability will still be issues to consider if/when this comes out either way. Since nvidia put out...i mean there is a rumor that the AMD cards do better crypto than the 3090 they will probably be gone quick as well.

TurtleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anybody heard of HKEPC, the original source of the rumours? Are they a reliable source?

A 3080Ti play makes sense in the future, but NVIDIAs supply chains are so constrained at the moment that adding another SKU at this point only makes things worse, especially if they’re binning parts to get the new GPU spec.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since the 1000 series Nvidia seem to have a strange ability to create a better/faster GPU at a moments notice, it's almost like they're holding back on purpose.

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dsjwetrwete

Nvidia is doing it to counter the 6900XT, that's it. Now they'll also have a $1000 GPU with similar performance to AMD's top card. It doesn't matter if there's nothing in stock, once Nvidia officially announces the 3080ti it'll likely prevent many consumers from jumping ship to Team Red. With Nvidia you generally get better drivers and feature support like DLSS.

As for the 3080, it's still a better value (85%+ of the rumored performance of the 3080ti at 70% of the price)... unless you need/want the extra VRAM. Which I expect quite a few people will.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Besides the vram the performance cant be much better than the 3080, theres not a ton of difference between a 3090 and a 3080 as it is.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

juuuuust let me buuuuuuy ooooooone