• 107 results
CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CouldbeRolf

Eurogamer reported that Obsidians deal with Bethesda concerning FallOut: New Vegas stated that Obsidian would only get a bonus if the game scored a 85+ on Metacritic. The game reached a Metacritic score of 84...

Bethesda shipped over 5 million copies of the game and sold quite a few digital copies aswell generating over $300 million in sales. The deal with Bethesda stated Obsidian would not recieve any royalties from sales.

Link: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-15-obsidian-fallout-new-vegas-deal-with-bethesda-meant-bonus-payment-only-with-85-metacritic

I'd say that's pretty shitty of Bethesda, but I have to question Obsidian aswell for putting pen to the paper on such a deal.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Nentisys

Thats fucking stupid on both sides.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By willin

I can kind of see where Bethesda is coming from. I wouldn't want a company to make a shitty game based on a brand they owned. 

Still, that's not cool.

Nemeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Nemeroth

And yet another reason why the video game industry will never be taken seriously. They have got the put their shit back together and soon.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@Willin said:

I can kind of see where Bethesda is coming from. I wouldn't want a company to make a shitty game based on a brand they owned. Still, that's not cool.

It's 1 below what they needed.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Can't compromise the signed contract?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, it probably happens more often than we think - publishers giving the developer a bonus if they hit a certain metacritic score.

It's not like Obsidian didn't get money to development, payment checks, royalties and whatever else financial support / payment they get, if they didn't hit it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

How much was the Bonus?

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By swoxx

Giving bonuses based on metacritic is the dumbest thing ever, regardless of this situation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kickstart your next thing, I won't take back my hundred bucks if your game gets an 84 instead of an 85.

84 means the game is pretty good. 85 means the game is pretty good. Obsidian should have made the game pretty good, but instead they made it pretty good. When Bethesda asks for a pretty good game, don't just hand them a pretty good game!

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Village_Guy: Actually, as per Avellone's tweet - no royalties. Just a flat payment for development with the metacritic bonus as the only potential extra.

In any case this is hardly surpsing. I believe its not unheard of for studios to require applicants for their top jobs to have titles with high metacritic ratings on their resumes...

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Chris2KLee

@Swoxx said:

Giving bonuses based on metacritic is the dumbest thing ever, regardless of this situation.

And yet it's become standard practice in a lot of the industry, hence why a lot of developers get up in arms when bad reviews come in. I think Jeff mentioned once that he actually got an e-mail from an angry developer who said Jeff's review was taking food off his family's table.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By willin
@NekuSakuraba: I meant I understand why there is a bonus on how well the game's received but I still think 84 is good enough for a bonus. 
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CptBedlam

@Swoxx said:

Sadly, it's nothing unusual in this industry. This is also the reason for the PR shenanigans happening around the time of a game's release.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NathanStack

@NekuSakuraba:

Guess they should have worked a little harder then.

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jmood88
@Swoxx

Agreeing to that deal is equally dumb.
swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By swoxx

@jmood88 said:

@Swoxx

Sadly as other duders have pointed out it has basically become a standard, and I doubt they had much choice in the matter.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Are kids running game companies?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mandude

I feel kinda sick that Obsidian didn't get a cut of the money I paid for New Vegas.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BlackLagoon

@jmood88 said:

What makes you think they had a choice? I seems deals like that are pretty much industry standard at this point.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Sambambo

Am I the only one here who doesn't think this is bad?

They made an agreement and didn't hit the mark. There has to be a cut off somewhere.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is definitely a case of reading by the letter and not the spirit. Bethesda doesn't want to pay out Obsidian if they crap the bed, but the game reviewed well and sold exceptionally well.

The difference between Obsidian making a new game, and getting paid for a very popular game that they made is that Gamekult gave it a 7 rAth

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AngeTheDude

@SuperSambo said:

They made an agreement and didn't hit the mark. There has to be a cut off somewhere.

The thing is that the mark is purely abstract. It's not like a concrete development target or something more tangible.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Some kids get 50p for a days work. They need to stop crying like little bitches.

Making games that are in a fit state to be released, is a good started point.

CottoneUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By CottoneUD

Man -- this sucks for Obsidian -- I have been playing through New Vegas and really enjoying it. There's a guy talking at PAX East about a new system -- Percentwise -- that looks for a true middle score dependant on the site's scoring policy. It sounds interesting -- the name isn't as catchy as MetaCritic, but it will be interesting to see his ideas.

veiasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By veiasma

Does anyone remember how busted New Vegas was at launch? It was bad for weeks until they patched it multiple times.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By JasonR86

I've heard of publishers doing this before. I don't blame Bethesda for doing it. They essentially told Obsidian that they cared more about critical success then anything else. Plus, they offered a deal that Obsidian could have very easily turned down. But they didn't they. They likely assumed they would meet that mark. And they didn't. So...that's that. I don't see the problem. That was their initial deal up front, both agreed, and Obsidian employees did not get bonuses because they did not meet their bonus' requirements.

To be fair, this isn't just a video game issue either. Sometimes the bonus' requirements for several jobs seem odd. Some NFL receivers only get bonuses if they get so many catches during the year. Some quarterbacks only get bonuses if they get voted into the probowl. On and on it goes. Bonuses are weird beasts.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Veiasma said:

Does anyone remember how busted New Vegas was at launch? It was bad for weeks until they patched it multiple times.

Fallout 3 was busted.
Oblivion was busted
Skyrim was busted for the longest time for PS3 owners and poorly performed for everyone else.

I'm sensing a pattern here.  Bethesda GOTY devs.
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By Humanity

Obsidian is known for shipping exceptionally buggy games, even more so than Bethesda. KOTOR 2 was rife with bugs when it shipped.

I'm with here. They were given a mark, they didn't hit, life goes on. I agree that bonuses based on such a horrible scaling system as Metacritic are a stupid idea - but you can't go through life on good intentions. If their deal was an 85 Average then they knew their game had to hit mostly high 80's and 90's and thats quite a feat.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cookiemonster

Thats pretty shitty, but it doesn't surprise me.

And its all questionable statistics isn't it? I tend to find metacritic scores to be a bit dubious because sometimes they vary a lot from the number of scores they base it on and what websites they use as well. I don't understand how one score can be compared to another when one game has had 20 scores submitted and the other 75. Also, I find it a bit odd that a score can be so cast in stone from 30 game's reviewers opinions, because to me that is way too small of a number. I'm not saying 'Metacritic should submit 1000 reviews per game, from reviewers with different backgrounds', but I just find the whole idea of Metacritic questionable (and I would really like to know the algorithm they use for scores).

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By kalmis

It is bad, but it is still just a bonus we are talking about here.

wwweh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wwweh

The game was pretty much fundamentally broken if you played it from start to finish on consoles (load times and slow down) if they had fixed this issue, even at the cost of game content, reviews would of probably exceeded 85. I get the feeling they lost sight of priorities and the scores suffered.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MideonNViscera

If they agreed to it, too fucking bad. Nobody should be saying "maybe they had no choice" or whatever. Even in a Dictatorship you have choice, even if it's obey or die. There's no such thing as "no choice", only shitty situations.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Jimbo

Hard to feel too bad for Obsidian here. They were hired to make a game, made it and got paid for it.  Bonuses probably shouldn't be based on Metacritic, but it's still only a bonus - they shouldn't be in a position where they were relying on it.  The target wasn't a particularly unreasonable one, considering.  Basing the bonus on sales wouldn't have been much fairer in this instance, considering the brand was doing so much of the work in that regard.

From Bethesda's point of view, it seems like an eminently sensible deal structure considering who they were handing their franchise off to.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Turambar
@MideonNViscera said:
If they agreed to it, too fucking bad. Nobody should be saying "maybe they had no choice" or whatever. Even in a Dictatorship you have choice, even if it's obey or die. There's no such thing as "no choice", only shitty situations.
Way to be a master pedant there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it'll make studios think twice about Bethesda as a publisher. Which considering everything they've done to become a major publisher is probably bad in the long run for them.

Obsidian made a game that sold 5 million copies and reviewed well. But it didn't review extremely well, so now people are being fired. I think indie devs will look at that and think hard.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Baaad scene man, bad scene. Fucking metacritic. 

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

The major problem I see with this is that it absolutely muddles the intent of critical evaluation. I'm not one to claim reviewers are being bought out (I doubt developers and even publishers have that much money), but by placing a financial gain on arbitrary grading--and lets not forget the 'weighting' of Metacritic or interpretation of letter grades/stars--Bethesda is only promoting the incestuous relationship that bogs a lot of the industry down. A critic should be able to review, discuss, and grade his experience without the ethical entanglement that his/her view might directly affect the well being of the individuals that make up the developer. Granted, one might argue that the review might hurt the reputation of the developer and thus its individuals; this, however, is far more direct and personal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

That is a dick move.

Jazz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jazz2

@Swoxx said:

agreed.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By icicle7x3
Jazz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jazz2

@SuperSambo: Can you tell me the difference between 85 and 84? Those numbers are meaningless.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By falling_fast

the game made like 300 million dollars in profit and they were only off by 1 point on metacritic (which is a shitty site, anyway).

and sure, they technically had a choice. the choice would be "either accept these terms or fuck off." and eventually you have to bite the bullet and do work to keep the lights on.

also, as has been noted before, Obsidian did not do the Q&A on this game. that was Bethesda's job.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By Sambambo

@Jazz2 said:

@SuperSambo: Can you tell me the difference between 85 and 84? Those numbers are meaningless.

They signed the contract and agreed to it. Nothing else needs to be said.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By superfriend

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Are kids running game companies?

Yeah, kinda. It seems the games industry only knows extremes: Either companies are run by fucking money munching abominations that have not a trace of a human soul left in them.. or they are run by dudes who have no clue what they´re doing. Of course I´m exaggerating a wee tiny little bit, but that´s sort of how I feel about the games industry these days. By the way: If anybody tells you this whole metacritic fuckup is the right thing to do and a "professional" thing- you should punch them in the face.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Animasta

@SuperSambo said:

@Jazz2 said:

I would like to know why you think they had a choice to the contract

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By ProfessorEss

On one hand I totally agree that basing bonuses on Metacritic scores is stupid.

On the other hand, I don't quite understand this idea of bonuses being expected by everyone in the industry every time a product is released.

I mean, these guys excepted the job at the salary that was offered. Unless the job contracts these people signed explicitly stated "guaranteed bonuses" I don't understand why bonuses are just assumed.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tescovee

@SuperSambo said:

@Jazz2 said:

@SuperSambo said:

I agree hole heatedly. It's not like a deal was made on some game of horse. I like Obsidian, but who cares if it was 1 point off or 30? Obsidian didn't hold up to this alleged contract. Why should Bethesda be at blame? A contact is a contract...."oh but it was only 1 point!" means nothing.

The company I work for give bonuses to the employee based on sales per quarter, if "we" were off the projected sale by 10 cents we would not get it.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TentPole

Bethesda has had shitty business practices for a great many years now.

wwweh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By wwweh

@Jazz2 said:

A couple of grand in bonuses AMIRITE?