Of the shooters coming out this year, which are you most looking forward to?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Of the shooters coming out this year, which are you most looking forward to? (441 votes)

Battlefield 1 22%
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare 4%
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Remastered 6%
Destiny: Rise of Iron 8%
Gears of War 4 4%
Titanfall 2 43%
I'm anticipating a different shooter that you didn't list. 13%

Thought this might make a fun poll, although perhaps a bit unfair seeing as we still haven't seen any Infinite Warfare multiplayer. Then again, if Activision is going to be this late with any sort of multiplayer information for the new COD, that's on them.

Are you still hooked on Destiny? Are you ready to go back to the Battlefield? Do people still care about Gears of War? Have you seen Titanfall 2? Will anyone vote Infinite Warfare for the campaign alone? Are you feeling that COD4 nostalgia more than anything else?

Post your thoughts. Games are listed in alphabetical order.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm not realy a big shooter fan. I am curious how the new UT will pan out though.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I'm most looking forward to Shadow Warrior 2. I have zero interest in all of the games listed in the poll.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ezekiel

None of them. I want more balletic over the top third-person shooters like Hard Boiled and The Killer and less ADS first-person shooters. I've played a million of those.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm assuming we're not counting Deus Ex or Dishonored as shooters.

Titanfall 2, though I am worried about the games longevity on PC, especially with Overwatch probably still riding on a wave of popularity. Titanfall was a really tight game that was just fun to play. Almost all the first person animations were just excellent, and jumping into your mech and watching the boot-up sequence never got old. Also you could make your mechs on-board AI speak in Russian or Japanese. I myself was surprised by how much I got into it. The only other shooter I had really gotten into at that point was Team Fortress 2, and the games are leagues apart.

Still, with people seeming a bit not that excited for Battlefield 1 and CoD maybe Titanfall 2 stands a chance.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After looking at the list, none of them.

I'll pick up the Destiny expansion down the line when it's cheaper just like I did with the previous one.

Until then I'll probably just keep replaying DOOM levels for my FPS fix.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Hayt

Battlefield 1 looks to be shaping up really nicely and since I skipped BF4 I am in the mood for a new one of those. Titanfall 2 would totally be on my radar if I wasn't so doubtful of its chance to stay populated in Australia.

Also bring on Rising Storm 2: Vietnam!

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrHadouken

Mechdrop 2! I never played much of the first, until now, I and playing it almost nightly and doing really well. I cannot wait for 28/10/16.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

I'm evenly split between Infinite Warfare and Titanfall 2. The former will probably have a really fun single player campaign while the latter looks to have awesome multiplayer.

Either way, fuck World War 1, fuck the COD4 remaster, fuck real gritty militarty shit, give me robots, space, lasers, grappling hooks and wall runs any day. I've had a decade of the realistic stuff, I'm ready to play far flung future shooters again. People who are saying "man only reason I'm excited about Infinite Warfare is that COD4 remaster" are out of their goddamn minds.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of the above. Can't pry myself away from Overwatch to be honest.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Shadow Warrior 2.

It's insane that Shadow Warrior of all things got a reboot, even more insane that it was good, and off-the-charts batshit that it's getting a sequel. I'm all in.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mems1224

The rest of the Rainbow Six Operators followed by Titanfall 2. As a huge Battlefield fan BF1 is just a massive bummer. Ill still get it because my friends will but any other year a new big Battlefield game would have been my most anticipated game.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Sorry both of them already came out earlier this year. If I can get Titanfall or Cod4 remaster for cheap those are the ones I'd possibly look into. But for all intents and purposes, DOOM and Overwatch were my shooter games for this year.

megabattimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm honestly way more excited for Strafe and the System Shock remake coming out next year than anything on the list.

Plus I haven't played Doom, SuperHot, Overwatch and Devil Daggers (own it, just haven't had time to sink my teeth in) yet, so I'm more inclined to go back and play those than wait for something like Battlefield 1.

Having said that, I'm hoping Titanfall 2 turns out great. I always meant to get the first one, but I didn't have an Xbone or a good enough PC to run it when it was out. Not to mention the second one has an actual campaign this time, which instantly makes it more interesting to me personally.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Well, if they don't count, then I don't have an answer. I suppose it's fair to exclude them though, given that I'm actively going to avoid shooting anyone in either game.

I still need to get around to playing Doom and Super Hot at some point.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man shooters got weird/interesting. It wasn't that long ago this list would be 4-5 shooters that were all the same kind of shit. Now we have ww1 and space! Mostly space!

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@adequatelyprepared said:

To be honest, I'd rather play both of those games than the majority of the games on this list. But yeah, Deus Ex and Dishonored aren't really the type of shooter that I'm talking about with this poll.

@shagge said:

Shadow Warrior 2.

It's insane that Shadow Warrior of all things got a reboot, even more insane that it was good, and off-the-charts batshit that it's getting a sequel. I'm all in.

It doesn't have a release date, so I think there's a good chance that it'll be pushed back to next year.

@humanity said:

Either way, fuck World War 1, fuck the COD4 remaster, fuck real gritty militarty shit, give me robots, space, lasers, grappling hooks and wall runs any day. I've had a decade of the realistic stuff, I'm ready to play far flung future shooters again. People who are saying "man only reason I'm excited about Infinite Warfare is that COD4 remaster" are out of their goddamn minds.

I guess I'm out of my mind, then. Although I did enjoy Black Ops 3, I miss traditional COD. Jump boosting has changed the game so much in the last two that it doesn't even feel like COD anymore. That's perhaps an odd stance to take for someone who voted for Titanfall 2, but it's how I feel.

But it really is hard to decide that you're looking forward to COD4 remastered multiplayer more than the new game, when Activision STILL hasn't shown even a moment of Infinite Warfare multiplayer. Part of me is wondering if they frantically went back to change some things after the "we want traditional COD" backlash. Then again, traditionalists were only a part of that particular backlash, and it's hard to tell how many of those people there really are.

But yes, bring on Titanfall 2!

Loading Video...

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#17  Edited By Savage

@shagge said:

Shadow Warrior 2.

It doesn't having a release date, so I think there's a good chance that it'll be pushed back to next year.

Flying Wild Hog have announced and reiterated that it'll be out in October. They've previously been very guarded in giving any indication of release date before the game is all but finished, so that they can be certain that they'll hit the release target they announce. So I think it's a safe bet we'll see it this year, in all likelihood before the end of October.

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out of the list, Battlefield 1.

Also interested in a few not listed (dunno when these will be released) the new Unreal Tournament, and Rising Storm: Vietnam

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny RoI.

Cannot wait, in fact.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: With all these awesome new shooters coming out that are incorporating innovative and new mechanics, yah, you are out of your mind for if you want to replay COD4 for anything more than novelty or nostalgia. Don't get me wrong, I loved COD4 when it came out. Amazing game. I really had a swell time with Black Ops as well. That said I'm kind of done with that stuff. There is only so much you can do in a traditional modern day/retro shooter from a gameplay perspective. The guns and the tech only allow for so much. Future games offer an unprecedented array of possibilities for movement and offense, and innovation is something I desperately crave in this genre. It is why I am right there with Jeff saying that Syndicate was an amazing shooter, because it's base gameplay offered more than just left trigger, right trigger on enemies. The on-the-fly hacking was ingenious and an awesome addition to the genre. I look at Battlefield 1 and people getting excited because they can ride a horse and am completely baffled. Battlefield 1942 was a phenomenal game. Battlefield 2 improved on that formula. Battlefield 3/4 might as well have been the same game and Battlefield 1 looks to be a nice skin for very familiar gameplay.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titanfall 2 looks rad as heck.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@shagge said:

Shadow Warrior 2.

Yeah, as far as shooter campaigns go this one seems like the most interesting. (this year) I liked the original a lot in spite of it's flaws.

I wish I was more excited for Gears 4 than I am. I loved the original trilogy. It's just everything about it's marketing has done nothing for me and the beta left me underwhelmed.

I voted Titanfall 2. I still play the multiplayer for the original, and as long the sequel's multiplayer is just as crazy and fun and doesnt devolve into esports nonsense then it shoud be great.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Outside of unreal Tournament, Titanfall 2 looks exactly like what I want from a shooter.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titanfall 2 and Gears 4 with me placing my vote on Gears 4. I'm always up for a Gears campaign and still like how those games play and feel. Getting a proper horde mode (the co-op thing from Judgement wasn't all that great) bumps it up as well since I lost a lot of hours to Gears 2 and 3 horde mode.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Titanfall 2 since I really liked the first one. We will have to see if the extra content is balanced and the changes in the movement are good or not.

BF1 looks interesting. Finally no more modern military. \o/

And Quake Champions will have a beta this year. \o/

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

For the first time in a long time, I'm taking a break from a shooter. Maybe, next year...

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I will buy Titanfall 2, might buy Gears of War 4 and am somewhat uninterested in the rest.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@spaceinsomniac: With all these awesome new shooters coming out that are incorporating innovative and new mechanics, yah, you are out of your mind for if you want to replay COD4 for anything more than novelty or nostalgia. Don't get me wrong, I loved COD4 when it came out. Amazing game. I really had a swell time with Black Ops as well. That said I'm kind of done with that stuff. There is only so much you can do in a traditional modern day/retro shooter from a gameplay perspective. The guns and the tech only allow for so much. Future games offer an unprecedented array of possibilities for movement and offense, and innovation is something I desperately crave in this genre.

When it comes to COD, I don't miss the non-future setting, or the older weapons, or anything else like that. I miss the slower, more strategic, and more methodical gameplay.

COD went from this:

Loading Video...

To this:

Loading Video...

It feels like an entirely different genre now. And again, Black Ops 3 is fun, but it really doesn't feel like COD. For fighting fans, imagine if all the Street Fighter games after SF3 played like Marvel VS Capcom, and you'll get somewhat of an idea what I'm talking about.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: I guess I'll just never understand the argument really. As I mentioned before I played a ton of COD4 and onwards. Prestiged a ton in MW2 and Black Ops before I dropped off from the series so I remember those "classic days" well. Recently I tried the Black Ops 3 free multiplayer weekend on Steam and within the first 5 minutes the first thing I thought was "oh man I kind of missed this classic COD multiplayer." It felt pretty identical to me apart from a few new options for movement. You still killed people in mere seconds and likewise got gunned down just as fast. If anything I enjoyed the fact that the game wasn't as seriously killstreak oriented as COD4 and MW2. It wasn't the classic 5-7-11 murder spree you were constantly working (and sometimes camping) towards. At least in the few matches I played of Black Ops 3 it did seem to focus slightly more on the shooting.

Different strokes for different folks and all that but having spent several years away from this series I really didn't feel like it played all that different in it's newest iteration than it did almost a decade ago.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Probably Titanfall 2. I am pretty curious about Infinite Warfare — mostly because I skipped Black Ops 3 and the premise looks interesting — but beyond that nothing else has really stood out; Battlefield could be cool but everything they've shown off since the reveal has left me cold, Rise of Iron doesn't look to be doing anything special and Gears 4 just seems like the most unnecessary sequel imaginable.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

My vote is for Titanfall 2, but realistically I don't see any shooters topping Overwatch this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Titanfall 2 is looking great. And being able to play it on PS4, where I actually have friends, will make it that much better. I'm enjoying Overwatch, but I much prefer a game I can play and enjoy alone. In Overwatch, when playing alone, I feel like I can't just do my own thing and have fun, and when the rest of my team-or a few members-doesn't feel like working together it really affects my ability to enjoy a match. In COD-likes I can feel like I'm not hurting or getting hurt by a lack of team play.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I am anticipating Titanfall 2 and BF 1 pretty equally so I didn't vote.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@spaceinsomniac: @humanity: The methodical, tactical CoD was just about over when 4 showed up. It went crazier from there but CoD 1 and 2 were the games like that. Simpler gameplay and the WWII weapons were just wildly different than what is there now. That series lost me a long time ago.

Anyways humanity, the thing that is the point of disagreement here is that not all people need more mechanics and features beyond traditional shooter gameplay. It reminds me of Jeff complaining when any FPS doesn't have a jet pack or something now. Some people like slow pace and focus on positioning and movement and cover.

It's why people play a game like Verdun, ARMA 3, or Squad these days and love it. In a different genre, it's why some like what is really a sluggish combat system in a game like Dark Souls over super fast paced combat in something like Ninja Gaiden. Not everyone will agree either way. But I feel where spaceinsomniac is coming from for sure. It's why I'm into BF 1 with its dialed back weapons and gameplay. However I am into what Titanfall 2 is doing too so I can go either way.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If CoD4 Remastered had Promod and all the maps, then that, but it doesn't.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the year of Doom and Overwatch none of those are going to really matter.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@hellbrendy: I think they will to the millions of people who will buy them and play them.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DharmaBum

I'll definitely be putting time into Gears 4, and looking forward to more Rainbow Six Siege maps/operators.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By huntad

I dunno. I got burned by Overwatch, so I am unsure of buying a new shooter this year. I guess I will keep an eye on BF1 and Gears 4 and see about maybe getting one of those.

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titanfall 2 looks amazing and as someone that never could play the first one, I can't wait to try it. I quit destiny for months now but rise of iron looks like it could be pretty cool, they're making good changes. Also hoping for another year to be announced for rainbow six siege.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After watching some single player gameplay, Titanfall 2 has me the most interested. It looks like it has a similar momentum to DOOM, and I'm 100% down with that.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Already have two that have blown me away: DOOM and Overwatch.

In a year where Uncharted 4 came out (one of my all time favorite series) DOOM is still probably gonna be my game of the year.

Although, even though I couldn't be more tired of multiplayer shooters, Battlefield 1 is calling my name...

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bluefish
Loading Video...

Space Hulk: Deathwing

Unlikely it will make it this year BUT WHO CARES

More realistic answer... Gears 4 maybe?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Destiny is the only one I care about putting time into.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Dat latest Titanfall 2 trailer looked real good. I can see myself picking that up for PS4 and just mess around with it for a dozen or so hours, before I bounce back to Overwatch. The other games I have no real interest in.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I actually though Infinite Warfare looked really cool. The movement in Titanfall 2 is a real big draw for me, but the stuff I've seen of Call of Duty has me more interested.

Most curious about Rise of Iron though.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I guess I'm out of my mind, then. Although I did enjoy Black Ops 3, I miss traditional COD. Jump boosting has changed the game so much in the last two that it doesn't even feel like COD anymore. That's perhaps an odd stance to take for someone who voted for Titanfall 2, but it's how I feel.

But it really is hard to decide that you're looking forward to COD4 remastered multiplayer more than the new game, when Activision STILL hasn't shown even a moment of Infinite Warfare multiplayer. Part of me is wondering if they frantically went back to change some things after the "we want traditional COD" backlash. Then again, traditionalists were only a part of that particular backlash, and it's hard to tell how many of those people there really are.

But yes, bring on Titanfall 2!

I'm 100% with you on all of this. I never wanted the CoD series to become about hyper-mobility. They've gone WAY too far in that direction now to where it's just a chaotic shitshow. The Modern Warfare games mostly avoided this, but the series on the whole just kept ramping up the effectiveness of that god-awful loadout with the agility perk SMG full sprint run n' gun hip-shooting where people could just blaze around the map at basically twice the speed of anyone not using such a loadout and dump a magazine of recoil-less rounds at people. It became even worse when they tossed in the jetpacks and whatnot. This basically forced people to either play the game with the super-speed loadout or camp, neither of which is even fun to do; it's just an easier way to get the kind of "sick killstreak, bro!" that became increasingly key with each iteration. This manifested in attempts to keep making the game "faster", and it has since gotten completely over-the-top.

I love Titanfall because it manages to feel fluid, not frenetic. The hyper-mobility in Titanfall works because the maps are generally large-scale, whereas it feels like CoD these days is trying to ape Titanfall movement plus maps which mostly do the Nuketown thing of cramming everyone in a small area for maximum "action" (or more accurately, a low-skill slopfest where you're virtually guaranteed to get a kill or die within seconds). I guess I'm just not as impatient as most current FPS gamers are. I'm not instantly bored if I don't encounter a guy within five seconds of spawning. Honestly, I have some concerns with Titanfall 2's grapple mechanic ruining the balance/flow of the original, which I thought was just about perfect. It was like high-speed stalking, and it will be a shame if it loses that feel and opts instead for a bunch of verticality where the grapple becomes required for traversal and/or the go-to cowardly quick-escape from a firefight.

As for playing CoD4 again, I'd buy it as a standalone, but won't buy Infinite Warfare to get it. That Activision is packaging them together tells me that they don't have much faith in the actual quality of Infinite Warfare. Though they'd never admit it, I think they're well-aware how much they miss the now-Respawn team behind Titanfall. The copycat direction they've taken CoD and the fact that they're trying to bolster hype of the new one by selling it with an actually good game made by the guys now at Respawn supports this. I just really hope Respawn doesn't bring this whole thing full-circle in trying to make Titanfall 2 smaller and more fast-paced in an effort to grab some of the CoD market. The MP gameplay they've shown so far looks a bit more cramped than the original, but it's hard to really tell it that's actually the case or if they're just showing the most action-y bits for trailer purposes.

I could really talk at length on this, so I should probably just stop rambling and cut it off here. TL, DR is that CoD has gone steadily downhill since the Respawn team left, Titanfall was fucking great and I'm thus pumped for Titanfall 2, and I just hope it continues the excellence of the original instead of making the errors the CoD series has made (IMO).

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@mems1224: Why would you say Battlefield 1 is a bummer?

Titanfall 2 is easily my most anticipated game of this year. It looks great.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: All your gripes with how the CoD series has progressed aside, why wouldn't you just buy Infinite Warfare to get that remaster you want to play? You're basically paying once for two entire games. And who knows! Lord forbid you try Infinite Warfare and, I know it seems impossible but bear with me here, you might actually enjoy it?

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By notnert427

@humanity said:

@notnert427: All your gripes with how the CoD series has progressed aside, why wouldn't you just buy Infinite Warfare to get that remaster you want to play? You're basically paying once for two entire games. And who knows! Lord forbid you try Infinite Warfare and, I know it seems impossible but bear with me here, you might actually enjoy it?

1) I don't care much for the idea of having to buy something I don't want to get something I do. I'd actually even pay up to $60 for the MW remaster, but I'm struggling with the idea of having to pay $80 for it, because that means that I'd need to somehow get $20 out of Infinite Warfare when each entry in the CoD series post-MW has been far less enjoyable to me than the one before it. Even with me arguably overvaluing the MW remaster significantly and being willing to pay more for it than most probably are, I still can't rationalize the purchase.

2) I don't like that Activision is refusing to allow the Modern Warfare games on the Xbox One's backwards compatibility program so they can bundle them with the new ones this way. I'm betting the 2018 CoD similarly comes with MW2 (or maybe Black Ops 2). FWIW, it doesn't bother me that they're trying to re-sell these old games; it bothers me that they're using them to try and sell the new crap. The real irony is that I'd actually buy the digital version of the last-gen MW games if they were on the Xbox One BC as I did with Red Dead, so they're losing money twice on me by packaging the good old stuff with the new ones.

3) My gaming for the foreseeable future will already be pretty crowded with HITMAN's continued content, Forza Horizon 3, and Titanfall 2. I'm seriously considering a PS4/NMS purchase as well if/when the Neo drops to either show me it's worth getting or make the standard PS4s sell on the cheap with holiday deals. I'm not sure there's a place for another game in there, even if there were something I really wanted (which isn't the case for Infinite Warfare, even if it got me the CoD4 Remaster)

4) I'm betting they'll sell the CoD4 remaster on its own sometime in the future when they feel like it won't move any more copies of Infinite Warfare (probably around this time next year when they're pushing 2017's Infinity +1 Warfare, Blacker Ops, or whatever the fuck they'll call that one). It would be stupid not to. If I can purchase the remaster by itself, I won't have much issue doing so, as that wouldn't require paying for something that I didn't want to. You've got to have your principles...

5) If you think about it, it's pretty messed-up that Activision is basically using Respawn's old work against them. It's one thing to try to sell Infinite Warfare against Titanfall 2 on its own merit; it's quite another to package Infinite Warfare with what's basically Respawn's CoD4 against Respawn's Titanfall 2. As publisher, Activision does own the rights and everything, but it's still a pretty weak, shitty move. Chalk that up as another turn-off for me.