Official JRPG Thread of Awesomeness! (Chat, Impressions, Hype)

  • 182 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Avatar image for gunraidan
Gunraidan

221

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Gunraidan

This thread is for anything JRPG. Chat amongst your favorite games, give impressions of the games you are currently playing, or hype the games you are anticipating the most within the class.

First off some FAQS:

What is a JRPG?

The most accurate definition of a JRPG is a game containing a set narrative while focusing on a role of an already set character(s) (whether the player choses them in the beginning or that they were provided for the player to begin with) which is the typical Japanese style of role-playing. It is also a branch genre off of the very diverse Role Playing Genre.

Aren't All JRPG's the Same as They Are All Very Alike and Rarely Change?


A common misconception throughout the genre,  just read through this thread.

Some Notable JRPG Games by Popularity:


Tales of Symphonia - Gamecube
Tales of Symphonia - Gamecube
Final Fantasy VII - Playstation
Final Fantasy VII - Playstation
Poke'mon - Gameboy
Poke'mon - Gameboy
Kingdom Hearts - Playstation 2
Kingdom Hearts - Playstation 2













Some Notable JRPG Games by Quality (not counting previous listed):


Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast/Gamecube
Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast/Gamecube
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne - Playstation 2
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne - Playstation 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga - Saturn
Panzer Dragoon Saga - Saturn
Suikoden II - Playstation
Suikoden II - Playstation














Next Big Game:


Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Wii
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - Wii



Release dates
Fall,2008
Unknown
Released




Gameplay Info:
"Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World" is the sequel to "Tales of Symphonia" the most popular game in the series. The game takes place right where the first left off and contains an all new cast.



Bottomline: Whether you think that "Tales of Symphonia" really is one of the best in the series or was just overblown by Nintendo fanboys this is the sequel to the most popular game in the series and by that it at least deserves a glare.

Trailer:
  


Upcoming Hidden Gem:


Black Sigil - Nintendo DS
Black Sigil - Nintendo DS




Release dateSeptember 15, 2008








Gameplay Info:

The game is suppose to be a throwback to as the developers claim "the Goldenera" of RPG's. Combining elements from Lufia, Chrono Trigger, and many other JRPG legends as well as a SNES art-style that would make Tetso Nomura proud this is true homage to aged and expereinced JRPG players.

Bottomline:


It's a true testament to 16-Bit JRPG's.


Trailer:

  






Have You Played?:

The World Ends With You - Nintendo DS
The World Ends With You - Nintendo DS










What is it?:
"The World Ends With You" is a JRPG from Jupiter, the same company that created the Kingdom Hearts series. The game revolves around a young boy from Shubiya who is trapped in the "Reapers Game" a game were the dead play so that they can win an opportunity of coming back to life.

Why Should You Play it? :
The game trys so many new things in the genre that it is hard to keep track of it all. First off it takes advantage of the DS's dual screen capablities as you control your character on the bottom screen as well as your partner on the top screen at once. There are also many ways of attacking enemies from slashing them, scratching them, tapping them, and even blowing into the microphone. There are also such things like reputation, trends, food digestion, and the likes. If you haven't played it then you are truly missing out on a great, original game, with plenty of spirit and soul.



Now let's get this thread started! :D


Avatar image for mrnitropb
Mrnitropb

2131

Forum Posts

1689

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Mrnitropb

no

Avatar image for exfate
exfate

466

Forum Posts

2139

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By exfate

I havn't been keeping up with JRPG releases on the DS as of late. Black Sigil looks interesting though, will definately be checking that out now, so thanks for the heads up!

Also, considering JRPG isn't a genre in the strictest sense of the word - surely that qualifies JRPG as a concept worthy of a concept page here on GB? Surprising it hasn't been made yet!!!

Anyway, currently I'm replaying through Bahamut Lagoon, a Tactical RPG with a Party System from Square for SNES. Playing it through emulation, naturally, since it never had an English release.
Infact, GB inspired me to replay it. I wanted a game that would be a little quieter to focus on, so picked BL.
It's an awesome game and I recommend any JRPG fan play it if you havn't already.

I'm also still technically playing Lost Odyssey. Although I've almost finished, I havn't touched it in about 2 months due to time issues. Can't really motivate myself to get back into it now I have the time. :(

Mostly looking forward to Infinite Undiscovery as well at the moment. I have some concerns about the battle system though - but that wont really matter to me if the story grabs me. Also really looking forward to The Last Renmant.

PS. The "this thread" link it broken.

Avatar image for black_rose
Black_Rose

7771

Forum Posts

3100

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Black_Rose

My favorite is Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, and i can't wait for Fragile

Avatar image for gunraidan
Gunraidan

221

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Gunraidan
Mrnitropb said:
"no"
Yes.

exfate
said:
"I havn't been keeping up with JRPG releases on the DS as of late. Black Sigil looks interesting though, will definately be checking that out now, so thanks for the heads up!

Also, considering JRPG isn't a genre in the strictest sense of the word - surely that qualifies JRPG as a concept worthy of a concept page here on GB? Surprising it hasn't been made yet!!!

Anyway, currently I'm replaying through Bahamut Lagoon, a Tactical RPG with a Party System from Square for SNES. Playing it through emulation, naturally, since it never had an English release.
Infact, GB inspired me to replay it. I wanted a game that would be a little quieter to focus on, so picked BL.
It's an awesome game and I recommend any JRPG fan play it if you havn't already.

I'm also still technically playing Lost Odyssey. Although I've almost finished, I havn't touched it in about 2 months due to time issues. Can't really motivate myself to get back into it now I have the time. :(

Mostly looking forward to Infinite Undiscovery as well at the moment. I have some concerns about the battle system though - but that wont really matter to me if the story grabs me. Also really looking forward to The Last Renmant.

PS. The "this thread" link it broken.

"
I always wanted to play through Bahamut Lagoon, maybe I should give it a chance via emu. I've also heard that Lost Odyessy is amazing.
Avatar image for dj_lafleur
DJ_LaFleur

183

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By DJ_LaFleur

I love the tales series!  And The wild arms series is awesome, too! :)

Avatar image for wanderer5
Wanderer5

19

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Wanderer5

I can't wait for Fragile, Final Fantasy XIII Agito, Birth by Sleep, and 358/2 Days. JRPG FTW!

Avatar image for gunraidan
Gunraidan

221

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Gunraidan
Avatar image for suneku
suneku

3005

Forum Posts

1364

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By suneku
Gunraidan said:
"^^^^Seems that Fragile is very anticipated. Good to know, I always feared that it will go down to the underlooked section.

Anyway Parasite Eve 3 is announced for the PSP.
"
yay!!! I've been wanting a Parasite Eve 3 for a long time.
Avatar image for disgaeamad
Disgaeamad

1404

Forum Posts

24092

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Disgaeamad
Wanderer5 said:
"I can't wait for Fragile"
Likewise. Ever since I first saw it, I thought it looked amazing, it's one of the games I'm anticipating the most.
Avatar image for canadian
Canadian

390

Forum Posts

160

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Canadian

You should have a list of upcoming JRPGs for each platform.

Don't forget Zoids Assault, and Spectral Force 3 for the 360 when making the list.

Avatar image for gunraidan
Gunraidan

221

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Gunraidan
Disgaeamad said:
"Wanderer5 said:
"I can't wait for Fragile"
Likewise. Ever since I first saw it, I thought it looked amazing, it's one of the games I'm anticipating the most.
"
I truly think that it will be a hidden gem that will eventually become hard to find.

Canadian
said:
"You should have a list of upcoming JRPGs for each platform.

Don't forget Zoids Assault, and Spectral Force 3 for the 360 when making the list.
"
I'll do so, but only when this topic gets popular enough.

Anyway what are some of the recent games you people have played?
Avatar image for gunraidan
Gunraidan

221

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Gunraidan
Disgaeamad said:
"Wanderer5 said:
"I can't wait for Fragile"
Likewise. Ever since I first saw it, I thought it looked amazing, it's one of the games I'm anticipating the most.
"
I truly think that it will be a hidden gem that will eventually become hard to find.

Canadian
said:
"You should have a list of upcoming JRPGs for each platform.

Don't forget Zoids Assault, and Spectral Force 3 for the 360 when making the list.
"
I'll do so, but only when this topic gets popular enough.

Anyway what are some of the recent games you people have played?
Avatar image for paperplain
PaperPlain

253

Forum Posts

328

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By PaperPlain

Tales of Symphonia=Best JRPG. Ok maybe not but that game is great.

Avatar image for somesthetic
somesthetic

190

Forum Posts

13

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By somesthetic

Disgaea 3 and Persona 4 are the only things I'm looking forward to right now.

I can't speak for Infinite Undiscovery or The Last Remnant but Final Fantasy games are too contrived for me these days. Like Metal Gear before they explained everything in 4.

Avatar image for demyx
Demyx

3251

Forum Posts

200

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Demyx

Other than Kingdom Hearts, and possibly Final Fantasy if that counts as one, I haven't really played many JRPGS.

Avatar image for gunraidan
Gunraidan

221

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Gunraidan

^^^Then this is the thread to get recommendations my friend.

Have you tried: The World Ends With You, Persona 3, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Shadow Hearts, Dragon Quest VIII, Odin Sphere, Skies of Arcadia?

Avatar image for axersia
Axersia

1940

Forum Posts

107953

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Axersia

Black Sigil isn't a JRPG because it wasn't made in Japan. And since it's the first game these people made, don't get your hopes up too high. I expect the game to be very short, at the least. Just like all those other JRPG attempts by Western developers.

Demyx said:

"Other than Kingdom Hearts, and possibly Final Fantasy if that counts as one, I haven't really played many JRPGS."
lol, of course FF counts as a JRPG! In fact, it was the 2nd JRPG series ever (unless there's some really obscure series out there that I just don't know about). It's actually the KH series that's only barely an RPG. It's just an action game with a leveling system thrown in (this is very literally true for the original game, as it started out as a platformer). And leveling systems are pretty standard for action games of this sort now anyway.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. That's really all I can think of. Yup, all of them action JRPGs, as that's my preferred flavor of JRPG. I find it awesome how only playing action JRPGs is actually a viable option in this day and age.
Avatar image for black_rose
Black_Rose

7771

Forum Posts

3100

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Black_Rose

Holy shit...Oboro Murasama Youtuden is gonna be awesome

Avatar image for gunraidan
Gunraidan

221

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Gunraidan
Axersia said:
"Black Sigil isn't a JRPG because it wasn't made in Japan.

Being developed in Japan has nothing to do with a game being a JRPG but more so its play style. I don't see people calling the Wizardry spin-off for the PS2 a JRPG because it was made by Atlus.Axersia said:

Demyx said:
"Other than Kingdom Hearts, and possibly Final Fantasy if that counts as one, I haven't really played many JRPGS."
lol, of course FF counts as a JRPG! In fact, it was the 2nd JRPG series ever (unless there's some really obscure series out there that I just don't know about). It's actually the KH series that's only barely an RPG. It's just an action game with a leveling system thrown in (this is very literally true for the original game, as it started out as a platformer). And leveling systems are pretty standard for action games of this sort now anyway.
Seriously? I never knew that. Anyway yeah I agree that Kingdom Hearts just  scraps the line in being a JRPG. It focus's a little too much on the action.


Axersia
said:
Anyway, I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. That's really all I can think of. Yup, all of them action JRPGs, as that's my preferred flavor of JRPG. I find it awesome how only playing action JRPGs is actually a viable option in this day and age."
Yes the the JRPG class really has developed and diversified.

Black_Rose
said:
"Holy shit...Oboro Murasama Youtuden is gonna be awesome"
Yeah, I am curious to how much of a role platforming will play. Originally I was odded with the Wiimote controls but after playing The World Ends With You and Ninja Gaiden DS I am far less intiminated and possibly even prefer slash swordplay. The game is suppose to have a huge unveiling this TGS. Anyway I am glad that people on this site really like Vanillaware's works. I mean on other sites like 1up, NeoGaf, and SRK a fair share amount of people seem to really dislike them especially Odin Sphere.

Avatar image for deactivated-5806ee571ffac
deactivated-5806ee571ffac

121

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

hey guys im interested in buying a new rpg...im thinking about final fantasy 10, dragon quest 8, or star ocean: till the end of time....any thoughts on which one i should get? any input would be apreciated!

Avatar image for axersia
Axersia

1940

Forum Posts

107953

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By Axersia
Gunraidan said:
Being developed in Japan has nothing to do with a game being a JRPG but more so its play style. I don't see people calling the Wizardry spin-off for the PS2 a JRPG because it was made by Atlus.Axersia said:
I kinda agree on that, but at the same time, people only consider Black Sigil a JRPG because it looks like one.

You'll never hear someone saying Anachronox is a JRPG, because it opts for a Western graphical style and humor. But gameplay (turn-based) and storytelling wise, it's very Japanese. The designer even stated that Chrono Trigger was one of his favorite games of all time, and the main inspiration for Anachronox.

So because too many people would disagree, I would never call a Western-developed game a JRPG. Instead, I'd go with the term console-styled RPG.

ryeguy489 said:
"hey guys im interested in buying a new rpg...im thinking about final fantasy 10, dragon quest 8, or star ocean: till the end of time....any thoughts on which one i should get? any input would be apreciated!
"
As much as I like action RPGs, I'm gonna go with Dragon Quest VIII on this one. Probably the greatest RPG I've ever played. I can't recommend it enough.


Avatar image for psr388
psr388

267

Forum Posts

-1

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By psr388

ffx's story is uber win

Avatar image for dj_lafleur
DJ_LaFleur

183

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By DJ_LaFleur

Final fantasy X was my third favorite FF, I'd recommend it.

Avatar image for exfate
exfate

466

Forum Posts

2139

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By exfate
Axersia said:
"Gunraidan said:
Being developed in Japan has nothing to do with a game being a JRPG but more so its play style. I don't see people calling the Wizardry spin-off for the PS2 a JRPG because it was made by Atlus.Axersia said:
I kinda agree on that, but at the same time, people only consider Black Sigil a JRPG because it looks like one.


If it looks like it, smells like it, tastes like it...

Who developed it and where isn't relevant. The look is only part of it too. Narrative structure plays a very important part in it, and that is not to say is it linear or open ended as is often the argument applied. JRPG is a miasma that has spread outward from Japan and become something than transcendes borders and genres, ill defined, but instantely recognised when you see the red cross on the door of those it has touched.
Avatar image for gunraidan
Gunraidan

221

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Gunraidan
Axersia said:
"Gunraidan said:
Being developed in Japan has nothing to do with a game being a JRPG but more so its play style. I don't see people calling the Wizardry spin-off for the PS2 a JRPG because it was made by Atlus.Axersia said:
I kinda agree on that, but at the same time, people only consider Black Sigil a JRPG because it looks like one.

You'll never hear someone saying Anachronox is a JRPG, because it opts for a Western graphical style and humor. But gameplay (turn-based) and storytelling wise, it's very Japanese. The designer even stated that Chrono Trigger was one of his favorite games of all time, and the main inspiration for Anachronox.

So because too many people would disagree, I would never call a Western-developed game a JRPG. Instead, I'd go with the term console-styled RPG.


"

 Anachronox is the definitive JRPG known to the PC community on the platform. Everyone refers to it as a JRPG, even the developer themselves (I even just gave it as an example in my previous post where I misspet it).

I guess console styled RPG would do but in reality JRPG and console styled RPG are the same exact terms its just that JRPG became dominant since games like KOTOR and Fable started to appear on consoles as well as the genre staring to diversify.
Avatar image for gunraidan
Gunraidan

221

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Gunraidan

Sorry for the double post but I'm on my mom's PC which sucks ass.

ryeguy489 said:

"hey guys im interested in buying a new rpg...im thinking about final fantasy 10, dragon quest 8, or star ocean: till the end of time....any thoughts on which one i should get? any input would be apreciated!
"
Well I own and pretty much beaten all 3 (pretty much because I got to the last boss of Star Ocean III until it got stolen from me).

Final Fantasy X - This is definately one of the better games in the series. The batlle system is very interesting and had much potential for depth. The presentation is through the roof as the graphics are still some of the best on the console today and the story is considered to many as one of the best in the genre. However what this game suffers from most is level design. Even for its time it was outdated, if you want to know more about it in order to get anywhere in the game you have to follow a linear path and go in a straight line. No this isn't like other JRPG's which you've played, in Final Fantasy X you follow a single road in which you can't leave and you can only go straight most of the time (once in a while it'll mish and mash up by having you go left or right, and there is a section in the game that is sorta a maze). So overall if you just want story and well done presentation and don't give a crap about level design (at all) then this isn't a bad buy.

Dragon Quest VIII - One of the best JRPG's out there. This game is a true realization of what a 3D JRPG should've been. If one was to imagine a fully three-dimensional Dragon Quest game then this is right on the dot as it even gets the things that impressed people in the original. The map is completely 3D as the player can explore anything anywhere and truly feels it. I felt far more "free" while exploring in this game then I did in TES: Oblivion. Side-quests, Easter Eggs, and just natural progression, all this really gives you the feel that you are really traveling on a quest in a living breathing world.The presentation is done very well with classic characters, great art-style, great story, and great music. The gameplay is great with great pacing, laid back battle system, married with one of the best level designs in the genre. The only negative there is to this game is that the random battles run just a little too rampat at times. Definitely the best buy of all three and one of the best buys in the entire RPG genre.

Star Ocean; 'Til the End of Time - Pretty much pure crap. I originally thought that this game was alright, but that was before I REALLY got into JRPG's. Seeing it again it's just one big sloppy mess with a cliche turd wrapped around it. Horrid voice acting, annoying music, one of the most mashed up stories in JRPG history, and level design in which it feels that the developers didn't even test it as dungeons are way too long, and have some "How in the hell could I have thought of that!?" moments. The only plus on this is the battle system which is pretty fun and deep. So all in all don't get this one unless you swear upon your grave that you will never play a JRPG with a turnbased battle system.

All in all, I'd say go with Dragon Quest VIII.











Avatar image for dissolve
Dissolve

392

Forum Posts

1

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Dissolve

Tactics Ogre

Avatar image for axersia
Axersia

1940

Forum Posts

107953

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By Axersia

So I'm making this list of male JRPG characters with an exposed midriff; just for the heck of it.

Anyone know any others? (except for Kuja; villains are OK, but I don't want him on my list, because he's just too damn creepy)

Avatar image for dissolve
Dissolve

392

Forum Posts

1

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Dissolve
Axersia said:
"So I'm making this list of male JRPG characters with an exposed midriff; just for the heck of it.

Anyone know any others? (except for Kuja; villains are OK, but I don't want him on my list, because he's just too damn creepy)
"
Does Tidus count? It's kinda exposed but also kinda covered:





Oh, and Vaan:


Avatar image for axersia
Axersia

1940

Forum Posts

107953

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#31  Edited By Axersia
Dissolve said:
Does Tidus count? It's kinda exposed but also kinda covered:

Oh, and Vaan:
Meh... I wouldn't say Tidus counts. But Vaan definitely counts. I totally forgot about him (because boring characters like that are easily forgotten).
Avatar image for exfate
exfate

466

Forum Posts

2139

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By exfate
ryeguy489 said:
"hey guys im interested in buying a new rpg...im thinking about final fantasy 10, dragon quest 8, or star ocean: till the end of time....any thoughts on which one i should get? any input would be apreciated!
"

FFX has a pretty good story, it's very linear though. Gameplay wise it's pretty solid. My most recommended of those three.
DQVIII is a good game, but personally I just don't like it very much. However, it is definately reccommended still because most people that play it seem to enjoy it. I felt there were pacing issues that ruined it for me at certain points. It's got some damn fine voice acting though.
SO3 is hit and miss for many people. Without spoiling things for you, there is a story twist which is really unwelcomed. I can't stand the battle system, I find it a little limiting. It has its moments, but I really don't recommend it when put next to FFX or DQVIII.
Avatar image for axersia
Axersia

1940

Forum Posts

107953

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#33  Edited By Axersia
exfate said:
SO3 is hit and miss for many people. Without spoiling things for you, there is a story twist which is really unwelcomed. I can't stand the battle system, I find it a little limiting. It has its moments, but I really don't recommend it when put next to FFX or DQVIII.
"
I liked the plottwist myself. It's pretty awesome when a plottwist actually affects the story of all previous games in the series IMO. But I think that's also the exact reason why so many people hated it.

I do agree that the battle system was a bit limiting, though. It just doesn't compare to the battle system of the Tales series.
Avatar image for exfate
exfate

466

Forum Posts

2139

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By exfate
Axersia said:
"exfate said:
SO3 is hit and miss for many people. Without spoiling things for you, there is a story twist which is really unwelcomed. I can't stand the battle system, I find it a little limiting. It has its moments, but I really don't recommend it when put next to FFX or DQVIII.
"
I liked the plottwist myself. It's pretty awesome when a plottwist actually affects the story of all previous games in the series IMO. But I think that's also the exact reason why so many people hated it.

I do agree that the battle system was a bit limiting, though. It just doesn't compare to the battle system of the Tales series.
"
Yea I agree that managing the turn the entire series on its head was ballsy. They just really executed the whole thing poorly. Hell knows what weirdness they have in store for SO4 now... there might be the potential to turn a bad choice around into something really cool though. Fingers crossed!!
Avatar image for somesthetic
somesthetic

190

Forum Posts

13

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By somesthetic

I wouldn't say being developed in japan has nothing to do with being a JRPG.

I agree that there is a style associated with the games and any game could be JRPG-style, but I think we need to qualify those games as JRPG-style rather than JRPGs.

also, Dragon Quest VIII has the best voice acting and is the better story if you ask me.

Avatar image for namster
namster

145

Forum Posts

6755

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By namster

Love JRPGs
but I'm getting into Shin Megami Tensei way too late =(
can't find Nocturne, or the Digital Devil Sagas anywhere
besides online

Avatar image for somesthetic
somesthetic

190

Forum Posts

13

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By somesthetic

all the stores around here have nocturne and digital devil saga. it's freaking me out.

I'm guessing the meatheads around here don't care that much for JRPGs.

Avatar image for axersia
Axersia

1940

Forum Posts

107953

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#38  Edited By Axersia
somesthetic said:
"I wouldn't say being developed in japan has nothing to do with being a JRPG.

I agree that there is a style associated with the games and any game could be JRPG-style, but I think we need to qualify those games as JRPG-style rather than JRPGs.

also, Dragon Quest VIII has the best voice acting and is the better story if you ask me.
"
I actually turned off the voice acting after about 5 hours because I always finished reading the dialogue well before they finished talking, and I'm impatient as hell (ADD, you see). But the Japanese version never had any voice acting to begin with, so I don't really feel like I've missed out. It did seem quite good from what I've heard of it, though.
Avatar image for somesthetic
somesthetic

190

Forum Posts

13

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By somesthetic

I play JRPGs (or any game with a story) as much for the story as the gameplay, so I'm okay with sitting through it.

My roommate plays JRPGs too, but he's always skipping through the story parts and it irritates the hell out of me.

Avatar image for demyx
Demyx

3251

Forum Posts

200

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By Demyx
Gunraidan said:
"^^^Then this is the thread to get recommendations my friend.

Have you tried: The World Ends With You, Persona 3, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Shadow Hearts, Dragon Quest VIII, Odin Sphere, Skies of Arcadia?"

uh, no. I've played a demo of Shadow Hearts though.
what systems are these games on?
Infinite Discovery looks good.
Avatar image for demyx
Demyx

3251

Forum Posts

200

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By Demyx
Axersia said:
"Black Sigil isn't a JRPG because it wasn't made in Japan. And since it's the first game these people made, don't get your hopes up too high. I expect the game to be very short, at the least. Just like all those other JRPG attempts by Western developers.

Demyx said:
"Other than Kingdom Hearts, and possibly Final Fantasy if that counts as one, I haven't really played many JRPGS."
lol, of course FF counts as a JRPG! In fact, it was the 2nd JRPG series ever (unless there's some really obscure series out there that I just don't know about). It's actually the KH series that's only barely an RPG. It's just an action game with a leveling system thrown in (this is very literally true for the original game, as it started out as a platformer). And leveling systems are pretty standard for action games of this sort now anyway.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. That's really all I can think of. Yup, all of them action JRPGs, as that's my preferred flavor of JRPG. I find it awesome how only playing action JRPGs is actually a viable option in this day and age."

I didn't notice it up on the first post, so I was unsure if it did or not.
no 360 so I can't get Tales of Vesperia, and no DS so no KH. I'll get a PSP soon for BbS. and maybe pick up IU. I will pick up both FFXIII nad Versus
Avatar image for axersia
Axersia

1940

Forum Posts

107953

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#42  Edited By Axersia
Demyx said:
I didn't notice it up on the first post, so I was unsure if it did or not.
no 360 so I can't get Tales of Vesperia, and no DS so no KH. I'll get a PSP soon for BbS. and maybe pick up IU. I will pick up both FFXIII nad Versus"
Infinite Undiscovery is also 360 exclusive. So... too bad. Star Ocean 4 is too, btw. :P Yeah, if you like RPGs, you need a 360.

The only PS3 exclusive I have any interest in is FFvsXIII, but that's not enough for me to buy one (for now, anyway. but Square-Enix was always so good at hyping me up for KH, so who knows...)

Avatar image for demyx
Demyx

3251

Forum Posts

200

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By Demyx
Axersia said:
"Demyx said:
I didn't notice it up on the first post, so I was unsure if it did or not.
no 360 so I can't get Tales of Vesperia, and no DS so no KH. I'll get a PSP soon for BbS. and maybe pick up IU. I will pick up both FFXIII nad Versus"
Infinite Undiscovery is also 360 exclusive. So... too bad. Star Ocean 4 is too, btw. :P Yeah, if you like RPGs, you need a 360.

The only PS3 exclusive I have any interest in is FFvsXIII, but that's not enough for me to buy one (for now, anyway. but Square-Enix was always so good at hyping me up for KH, so who knows...)

"

awww, I could've sworn a month ago, it was multiplatform.
well my brother has a 360, so I'll just try to see how much time I can get with it. Probably just get IU or something.
Avatar image for axersia
Axersia

1940

Forum Posts

107953

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#44  Edited By Axersia
Demyx said:
awww, I could've sworn a month ago, it was multiplatform.
well my brother has a 360, so I'll just try to see how much time I can get with it. Probably just get IU or something."
Nah, IU was always 360 exclusive. Microsoft was actually originally going to be the publisher, and they still hold the intellectual rights to it.

So unlike perhaps SO4, there's no way you'll ever see it on PS3.
Avatar image for gunraidan
Gunraidan

221

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By Gunraidan
namster said:
"Love JRPGs
but I'm getting into Shin Megami Tensei way too late =(
can't find Nocturne, or the Digital Devil Sagas anywhere
besides online
"
There is no better time to become a Tensei fan. Atlus has finally reprinted the copies of the games. I recomend buying Nocturne and DDS 1 & 2 (haven't played them but heard they were pretty good) as well as Persona 3: FES. All the other ones haven't been released in the U.S. (Devil Summoner Saturn and Soul Hackers) or just flatout suck (almost all of the rest in the seires).

Demyx
said:
"Gunraidan said:
"^^^Then this is the thread to get recommendations my friend.

Have you tried: The World Ends With You, Persona 3, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne, Shadow Hearts, Dragon Quest VIII, Odin Sphere, Skies of Arcadia?"

uh, no. I've played a demo of Shadow Hearts though.
what systems are these games on?
Infinite Discovery looks good."
Well if you want to dip your toes into something I'd recomend Dragon Quest VIII or Skies of Arcadia since they are very newbie friendly and aren't too intiminating. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne and Persona 3 are really geared toward the more serious RPG gamer (Nocturne especially) so I'd hold off on those until you are well submerged with the genre). Odin Sphere is similar to Metal Gear Solid or Toe Jam and Earl as in that you have to play it correctly in order to truly experience it. It's definately on the difficult side so I'd lay off of having it being your next JRPG (though it is very cheap now so you can get it if you want to try it in the future). The World Ends With You is a game that turns the JRPG formula on its head. It's a game that you have to play your fair share amount of traditional JRPG's to truly appericiate. But if you are still interested it isn't at all a bad buy.

As for platforms:

PS2 = Persona 3, SMT: Nocturne, Shadow Hearts, Dragon Quest VIII, Odin Sphere

Gamecube = Skies of Arcadia

DS = The World Ends With You

Avatar image for gunraidan
Gunraidan

221

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By Gunraidan
Axersia said:
"Demyx said:
I didn't notice it up on the first post, so I was unsure if it did or not.
no 360 so I can't get Tales of Vesperia, and no DS so no KH. I'll get a PSP soon for BbS. and maybe pick up IU. I will pick up both FFXIII nad Versus"
Infinite Undiscovery is also 360 exclusive. So... too bad. Star Ocean 4 is too, btw. :P Yeah, if you like RPGs, you need a 360.

The only PS3 exclusive I have any interest in is FFvsXIII, but that's not enough for me to buy one (for now, anyway. but Square-Enix was always so good at hyping me up for KH, so who knows...)

"

I find it odd that games that were announced 2 or even 3 years ago aren't even out yet. Infinite Undiscovery was announced at the same timish the 360 was unveiled, Cry-On as well and that game is still in the dark.
Avatar image for smugdarkloser
SmugDarkLoser

5040

Forum Posts

114

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#47  Edited By SmugDarkLoser



  
Avatar image for solid_snakexx
Solid_SnakeXx

1838

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#48  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx
Mrnitropb said:
"no"
Took the word out of my mouth
Avatar image for smugdarkloser
SmugDarkLoser

5040

Forum Posts

114

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#49  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Mrnitropb said:
"no"

wow, you're not a faggot
Avatar image for gunraidan
Gunraidan

221

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#50  Edited By Gunraidan

Damn Tales of Vesperia looks awesome. Pinnacle of Cel-Shading until Naruto comes out.

Also thanks for the bump Smug. :D