• 89 results
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By KnifeySpoony

So the schedule for PAX 2009 was released today, and after going through what panels I am interested in I figured maybe it was time to see who of giantbomb will be making the trek to Seattle for this weekend of delightful festivities. This will be my second time and I am getting more and more anxious as September gets closer.

Also for anyone who is a local in Seattle, if they could give a few suggestions of what to check out in the city for an afternoon/evening and where to eat. Cheers.

Update: So as we're now two weeks away from PAX, what are those who are going planning on seeing?

Update #2: So I'm going to compile a list of GB users who will be attending this year, these are names I gathered just from this thread. Give a shout out if you'd like to be added.

• DrDemon
  • Dark_Jon
  • raddevon
  • Babble
  • Lingxor
  • Gorillawhat
  • toadstule
  • juanvaldes
  • bretthancock
  • masternater27
  • Hailinel
  • Under_Influenz
  • AgentJ
  • Tanuki
  • anamanaman
  •  Lunarbunny
  •  MordeaniisChaos
  •  xShR3Dx
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By dethfish

All this PAX talk is pissing me off because I can't make it.  

Does anyone know if PAX is going to be in Seattle next year too or is it just the Boston one?

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By choffy21
@Dethfish77 said:
" All this PAX talk is pissing me off because I can't make it.   Does anyone know if PAX is going to be in Seattle next year too or is it just the Boston one? "
Boston only (from what I hear). Though unlikely, I'm going to try and to go PAX this year. From the sound of it, it's an absolute blast.
choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By choffy21

Oh, and here's the desription of the The Giant Bomb Re-Reunion Tour: Tour Legit Tour Quit:

"Look. We enjoyed doing our panel last year, and we asked the PAX people if we could do it again, fully expecting to have to come up with some elaborate justification, but they just said "Sure!" So we're not going to BS you either; this is just an excuse for the Giant Bomb crew to hang out and catch up with some of our old friends like 38 Studios' Rich Gallup, Harmonix's Alexis Alexander Navarro, and you, the greatest conference audience in the history of things. Also, there will be t-shirts given away. See you there! 

Panelists Include: Jeff Gerstmann (Co-Founder, Giant Bomb), Ryan Davis (Co-Founder, Giant Bomb), Brad Shoemaker (Editor, Giant Bomb), Vinny Caravella (Producer, Giant Bomb), Alex Navarro (Publicist, Harmonix)"

Sounds pretty cool.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dethfish
@choffy21 said:
" @Dethfish77 said:
" All this PAX talk is pissing me off because I can't make it.   Does anyone know if PAX is going to be in Seattle next year too or is it just the Boston one? "
Boston only (from what I hear). Though unlikely, I'm going to try and to go PAX this year. From the sound of it, it's an absolute blast. "

Great, now I'm even more pissed. This sucks.
TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TimeWaffle

i can't wait for PAX i got my pass yesterday

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dark_Jon

Really? That would be odd if they weren't doing it next year. Anyways I got my pass too, can't wait.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KnifeySpoony

Oh nice, whereabouts are you guys? Usually they send it 2 weeks before the show, hopefully I'll get my pass in the mail soon.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By raddevon

My wife and I have our temporary passes but haven't yet gotten the real ones. This is my first expo/con so I'm really excited.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Babble
@choffy21 said:
" @Dethfish77 said:
Boston only (from what I hear). Though unlikely, I'm going to try and to go PAX this year. From the sound of it, it's an absolute blast. "
From what I know this is incorrect, the East PAX is being run by seperate people. Seattle PAX isn't going anywhere. 

The schedule looks awesome this year! I'm in the Washington area but haven't gotten my pass yet, hopefully today.
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@raddevon: That's great! You're going to be absolutely blown away. It was the first expo for my friends and I last year as well and as soon as it ended we knew we were coming back this year. That should give a hint for how much fun we had.
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By raddevon
@KnifeySpoony: It wouldn't take much to get me to book a trip to Boston. I want to go there anyway plus it is much closer to me than Seattle.
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@raddevon: So you'll be going to Seattle and Boston? Sweet deal, I'm curious as to what they do similar and different for Boston, though I won't be able to go.
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By raddevon
@KnifeySpoony: I'm not certain that I will, but I would like to go to Boston. If this PAX knocks our socks off, I'm sure we will at least make an attempt to get to Boston.
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@raddevon: Makes much more sense, hopefully socks will be knocked, off that is. You should try to make your way to the bombcast panel, it was quite fun last year.
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By raddevon
@KnifeySpoony: I intend to make the Bombcast panel. Any other suggestions? Here's a list of my current must-sees:

Friday

Ron Gilbert Keynote
Breaking into the game industry
Live taping of CO-OP
Assassin's Creed II and Splinter Cell Conviction demo
How Gamers Give
Listen Up Live
Psychiatry, Video Games, and Kids - The Science, The Opinions, and the Lies 

Saturday

Star Wars: The Old Republic live demonstration
Totally Rad Show Podcast and Q&A
Sex in Videogames: A Comparative Study
Twitter and Beyond – New Game Communities Online
The Giant Bomb Re-Reunion Tour: Tour Legit Tour Quit

Sunday

WTF is the matter with game reviews?
The Future of Gaming: You Don't Know What You're Going to Get
Game Localization: A Behind-the-Scenes Look 

Unfortunately, some of my must-sees will be can't sees because they overlap. There are lots of others I find interesting, but these are the ones I really want to make.
Lingxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Lingxor

I'm going for the first time this year!

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

There are way too many for me to decide !!!!! 

I'm thinking 

Friday  

Ron Gilbert Keynote 
Live Taping Co-op  
Assassins Creed 2 - Splinter Cell demo
Can't decide between Listen Up or Concerts...   
+Show floor shit the entire day

Saturday 

Penny Arcade makes a strip!  
Medium is the Message: Story Matters 
Enforcement on XBL 
Rooster Teeth 
Giantbomb 
The Brodeo Reunion! (reason I'm going to PAX)  
+Show floor shit the entire day

Sunday 

WTF is the matter with game reviews? 
Old Republic demo  
 I think I'll be going home sunday afternoon so it's probably a good thing there isn't much.
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Babble

You guys are forgetting the Penny Arcade Q/A, it's been great every year. 

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@raddevon: Nice list, it's a lot longer than mine, mainly because I want to get time in playing games on the show floor.  We're still working out what we all want to see, but for sure we'll be going to the Keynote, one of The Old Republic demonstrations, and the bombcast.
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raddevon
@KnifeySpooney: I'm not sure how many of those I'll end up seeing. I may decide to just dick around on the floor instead.

Are the queues to play games on the floor pretty brutal? I could imagine they might be with 50,000 people.
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Babble
@raddevon said:

" @KnifeySpooney: I'm not sure how many of those I'll end up seeing. I may decide to just dick around on the floor instead. Are the queues to play games on the floor pretty brutal? I could imagine they might be with 50,000 people. "

Depends, I wouldn't say they are unbearable. If you set aside a good chunk of time you will be good. You should be more worried about the lines for panels. They can get huge if you don't show up early.
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By raddevon
@Babble: That's good to know. Thank you!
toadstule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By toadstule
@KnifeySpoony:  Hey! It's going my second year at PAX as well!   *high five* 
juanvaldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By juanvaldes
@Babble said:
" @raddevon said:

" @KnifeySpooney: I'm not sure how many of those I'll end up seeing. I may decide to just dick around on the floor instead. Are the queues to play games on the floor pretty brutal? I could imagine they might be with 50,000 people. "

Depends, I wouldn't say they are unbearable. If you set aside a good chunk of time you will be good. You should be more worried about the lines for panels. They can get huge if you don't show up early. "
I'm a little worried about that. It was crazy enough in 07, and we skipped last year and attendance has only been going up. Thankfully I live 5 min from downtown and have three days to check things out so I'm sure time can be found. To borrow a phrase from AMPM (I think) "Too Much Good Stuff". 
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Dethfish77 said:
Me too. I wish I could go but I will be in Vegas at the time. I live in Portland too which is just a few hour drive away from Seattle. Whatever, I'm totally takin a road trip next summer to Boston. I don't care how long it will take me to drive almost all of the way across the country, I'm goin!
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dethfish
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Dethfish77 said:
Me too. I wish I could go but I will be in Vegas at the time. I live in Portland too which is just a few hour drive away from Seattle. Whatever, I'm totally takin a road trip next summer to Boston. I don't care how long it will take me to drive almost all of the way across the country, I'm goin! "
I only live like 90 miles away. I also saved up almost 500 bucks to go so you'd think I'd be going for sure but no.   

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@toadstule: Ha nice!

As for waiting in lines for games, friends and I barely played anything last year because of lines that we didn't really want to wait in. This year we are for sure going up on The Beatles Rock Band stage set up and playing though, without a doubt.
bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By bretthancock

I'll be there, I work 2 blocks away and live 20 minutes away!    Last year was my first PAX and I had a blast but I'm going to enjoy it more this year with some more freetime and being less rushed.  If anyone needs info on anything let me know, I'm pretty well versed in the Seattle area.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TwoOneFive

i want to go.  
nobody to go with though. :(

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@bretthancock: That's great to hear, do you have any good suggestions of shops to check out or areas to look around at night? Or any suggestions of good places to eat? We'll be at the Seattle Sheraton right next to the expo center for reference.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32  Edited By Lies

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By masternater27
Myself and some friends are also going to be there.  And this girl I met at work who apparently is a sponsored Rock Band player and knows nothing about games.  She was told to buy a capture card today and had no idea what it was, so I helped her out hah. 

@KnifeySpoony:
I'm from around the area also, depends on what you're looking to get out of it.  A touristy experience or a Seattle experience, ya know?  I haven't lived in the metro area for awhile, so I might be a bit outdated, but I can give ya some things you probably should definitely see and a couple of my favorite spots if you're interested.
raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By raddevon
@masternater27: Please post restaurants! I would be interested to see them as well. Give us the Seattle Experience (TM).
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@masternater27: Well, thing is we're only going to have from around 5:30pm or so to check out the city, so cool spots to check out and restaurants are a definite welcome.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By masternater27
@raddevon: @KnifeySpoony: I'll get to thinking some up while at work.  The only place you absolutely have to go though is Dick's Drive-In.  It's pretty much Seattle in a walk up amazing fast food place.
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@masternater27: Oh, that could be good for any of the days we are there, how late are they open until?
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KnifeySpoony

Just got my 3 Day Pass in the mail, excitement heightened!

Woo!
Woo!
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Babble
@KnifeySpoony said:
" Just got my 3 Day Pass in the mail, excitement heightened!
Woo!
Woo!
"
Where are you located? I have yet to get mine and am in the Washington area.
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@Babble: Oh, surprised you haven't gotten yours yet, I'm by San Francisco. You should see yours anytime now I presume, when did you order it?
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Babble
@KnifeySpoony said:
" @Babble: Oh, surprised you haven't gotten yours yet, I'm by San Francisco. You should see yours anytime now I presume, when did you order it? "
Early on, sometime when they opened up registration. Maybe they are sending out the ones farther out first? Who knows. I checked the shipping address though, it should be good.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#42  Edited By Hailinel

I imagine that they sent passes to people outside of Washington earlier since they have further to travel for delivery.  I live in Seattle and have yet to receive my pass.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@Babble said:

" @KnifeySpoony said:

" @Babble: Oh, surprised you haven't gotten yours yet, I'm by San Francisco. You should see yours anytime now I presume, when did you order it? "
Early on, sometime when they opened up registration. Maybe they are sending out the ones farther out first? Who knows. I checked the shipping address though, it should be good. "
Ah yeah, that's probably it. I didn't get my pass until 2 weeks before the show last year anyway.
toadstule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By toadstule

I'm still awaiting my pass especially since my friend got his yesterday even though I registered before him and live only 5 min. away. Perhaps today is the lucky day?

EDIT: Just got the pass in the mail. Awesome.

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bretthancock
@KnifeySpoony: At night it's kind of iffy.  There is pioneer square which is south of the convention center but it's pretty much sketchy as can be and I would avoid it.  Tons of shitheads looking to cause trouble.  I would travel east up the hill past the convention center and go to Capital Hill.  Good bars and it's a little more laid back.  There's also a few decent bars around the convention center like Elephant and Castle on 5th and another English Pub a few blocks south.  I'm bad at the touristy stuff or any sort of nightlife because I work down here lol.

During the day if you need to step away for a few hours or whatever there is always Pike Place market.  Golden Age comics is rad.  Other then that there isn't shit for comics/games in the downtown area, you'd have to go to the international district(Pink Godzilla shop) for that stuff.  They had a booth at PAX last year and I'd imagine they would this year.

Places to eat is again iffy.  Downtown Seattle has waaaaay to many Subways for some reason.  Really close to the convention center there is a sandwhich place called Specialties where they make everything on site.  There's a few good sandwhich shops/delis a little further North of the convention center on 7th.  I'd just hit up Pike Place Market for food, 7 block walk but you get Paroshcis(spelling?), Fallafel King, and a bunch of other places. 
bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bretthancock
@KnifeySpoony said:
" @masternater27: Oh, that could be good for any of the days we are there, how late are they open until? "
There isn't one downtown though, only bad part.  You'll have to go Capital Hill for the closest one but they are pretty delicious.  Open until 2AM I believe. 
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@bretthancock: Ah okay, thanks for the suggestions. I heard about Honeyhole Sandwiches and a crepe place, both of which are east of the convention center. I'll make sure to keep Pike's Place Market in mind.
bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bretthancock
@KnifeySpoony said:
" @bretthancock: Ah okay, thanks for the suggestions. I heard about Honeyhole Sandwiches and a crepe place, both of which are east of the convention center. I'll make sure to keep Pike's Place Market in mind. "
I forgot about those places!  There used to be a belgium fries place but they closed.  Pretty much going east to Capital Hill or west to Pike Place are your best bets for everything.  Also Piroshki on Madison is really good.
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@bretthancock: Thanks, I think I have plenty of options now for my friends and I if we want food outside of the convention center.
bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bretthancock

Glad the Seattleites could help